Are we too harsh on SM3?

I think that yes, people are much too harsh on SM3. I think the full brunt of the complaints are mostly down the fact that SM2 was so well recieved. People expected a LOT from the movie and even if it was a masterpiece people would still be left disapointed because people were convinced going in that it would be better than SM2.

To echo everyone else, it had a lot crammed in. Sandman as a character was a success in my opinion. I think making him Uncle Ben's killer was the downfall, but other than that, Thomas was pretty iconic in the role. I think Venom looked awesome onscreen. He seemed to look like a bigger, darker Spider-Man, which is what Venom originally looked like, not the slobbering monster he is often portrayed as.

There was SO much hype for the movie and it was an exciting movie when released. It's one of those movies which is 'eye candy' to watch. The fight sequences are awesome.

I think Bryce Dallas Howard was gorgrous and Gwen and I get the feeling she would have nailed her if she was given the chance to play the REAL Gwen.

It is a good movie to show kids imo because of the messages inside it. The forgiveness message is lovely in the movie. I think Kirsten played a realistic girl. Kirsten is very, very good at portraying real, genuine emotions such as depression. As is Tobey. I think this is a wonderful contrast to the dazzling effects and fight scenes in the movie.

The movie was a disapointment but in no way was it totally terrible. Think of the huge amount of crappy low budget horror movies or comedies that get put out. The film has things going for it, it just missed it incredibly high mark.

Last edited:
Remember when Peter was asking Ursula (his neighbor) to feed him cookies and milk? And that he was pretending to fall asleep when talking to Dr. Connors? Whoa, I was trembling on the edge of my seat. That gave me nightmares for a year. Scary stuff.

:lmao:

Forget about Joker...Peter when under the control of the symbiote...hot damn that was scary.

Cool, one shoot from the movie. I guess there was no other with him under the influence in it.

[YT]qEWzrVkh6pk[/YT]

Scary as hell :o

Damn, why had Raimi did not put something like this in this movie. You know like let Peter stand up to Brock or Jonah. And using Gwen to make MJ jealous. Start fights with other people.

Ahh yes, let's now mention the parts of Peter standing up to Eddie and Jonah...while in the same scenes of Peter dancing and humping the air :dry:

At least there was a nod to these music culture - emo stuff and so.

Agreeing won't really make your point there.

"Usually"? You mean like the 15 minutes in these cartoons? :whatever:
And he was always in "an overly aggressive mood" while wearing the costume. But to know that you need to watch the movie at least...

Yah, you know...the fifteen minutes that was about the same time given to the symbiote in Spider-Man 3.

And please, I hope you realize you need to watch the movie again if you're REALLY going to say he was overly aggressive and always scary while being controlled by the symbiote, lol.

Almostgotim.gif

Always priceless.

You're right...people expected Peter Parker to not act like a goof when he had the symbiote :funny:

I'll give you that. I wanted a dark film too. When Peter/Spidey is wearing the symbiote it should be a rush,yes,but it should also scare him(and the audience). But the symbiote was played for laughs,and it should never be used that way. But I don't really think it's a "bad" film. Flawed? Yes,I'll say that but not bad. But I think the reason it's hated so much is because of the disappointment people had with it,but that doesn't make it bad in my opinion. I hope that makes any sense? lol
But I'm really hoping Venom and the symbiote get another shot in a Spidey film. I'm not sure it would ever be done 100% right,but it would be alot better than what Spidey 3 did.

:lmao:

Forget about Joker...Peter when under the control of the symbiote...hot damn that was scary.

[YT]qEWzrVkh6pk[/YT]

Scary as hell :o

Wow. "Scary as hell". How many times need i to repeat that a) Peter was never scary in any incarnation and b) ignoring all the other stuff in the movie makes you a little bit to a goof...

Ahh yes, let's now mention the parts of Peter standing up to Eddie and Jonah...while in the same scenes of Peter dancing and humping the air :dry:
Yes like in the animated serie. You know before he stand up to Flash he changed it outfit to this emo culture stuff.

And please, I hope you realize you need to watch the movie again if you're REALLY going to say he was overly aggressive and always scary while being controlled by the symbiote, lol.
He was. Everytime. The first time he went after Sandmann. The second time he fought with and blow up Harry's face, exposed Brock, used Ursula, street strut (sexual aggression), used Gwen to make MJ jealous (sexual aggression), started a fight at the night club.

He was never meant to be scary. Scary is Venom not Peter with the symbiote. Maybe you should start read the comics.

Last edited:
More Sandman & New Goblin scenes and no Venom at all would have been enough.

Mr Arad I feel added pressure to Raimi for Venom & sadly Raimi caved in to demands.

I don't think Sandman was a bad choice of villain just underused. New Goblin had more to offer that the 7 min early battle & also was revealed to Spidey too soon as Harry.

:whatever:

Emo Peter Parker was as bad as anything in B&R...

Wow. "Scary as hell". How many times need i to repeat that a) Peter was never scary in any incarnation and b) ignoring all the other stuff in the movie makes you a little bit to a goof...

A.) You need to really watch the other usages of symbiote to correct yourself.

B.) I'm not the "goof" that would actually say, and believe in it, in saying that Peter Parker was scary the entire time when he was being controlled by the symbiote. I'm not the only poster to acknowledge the opposite either.

Yes like in the animated serie. You know before he stand up to Flash he changed it outfit to this emo culture stuff.

Aerosmith is not "emo culture" :funny:

He was. Everytime. The first time he went after Sandmann. The second time he fought with and blow up Harry's face, exposed Brock, used Ursula, street strut (sexual aggression), used Gwen to make MJ jealous (sexual aggression), started a fight at the night club.

Again, this "everytime" logic and you believing in it. Did I just not show you that it WASN'T "everytime", man? Should I post some videos and pics of little Emo Pete?

He was never meant to be scary. Scary is Venom not Peter with the symbiote. Maybe you should start read the comics.

Hrm?

Now....when you say this:

He was scary the whole time with the symbiote.

You're now refraining your stance and you're talking about Venom and not Peter now?

You should actually understand what you're trying to say before you tell me to start reading comics, lol.

People laughed at him dancing, no one was scared.

There was never any intent to make the dancing scenes/montage "scary." It was obviously meant to be funny. No one making that was going "THIS WILL MAKE PEOPLE TREMBLE IN FEAR."
He had his moments where he was serious and actually intimidating. The whole subway fight, yelling at Ditkovich, him encountering Eddie at the Bugle, the fight in the bar etc.

And having your hair swiped to the side does not make you emo. You guys misuse that term way too much. If you want to be like that then we need to start calling Peter in Heroes emo as well as John Connor in Terminator 2.

3qsz.png

nq8u.png

Emo people don't dance to jazz and wear fancy suits. They are not full of themselves, they're quite opposite. They are generally dark and quiet, keep to themselves, and when they do talk they're dramatic and whine about everything. They wear band shirts that nobody has ever heard of, skinny jeans, or insanely baggy clothes. :rolleyes:
Say his hair looked emo all you want, but the attitude is all wrong.

I think that was the problem, they turned him into a joke

It was quite a cheesy joke in the 90s cartoon a couple times as well. Not like it was all intense, brooding and serious.
And before that it was nothing. No attitude affect on him.

So as long as they kept the overall tone in the movie serious, which I felt it was basically the same as one and two, and they had him be mean or scary in some scenes, which they did, I was fine. I'm okay with Spider-Man being funny. I would have been a little irritated if it got really dark and serious because it wouldn't match the first two.
Granted, they could have cut some stuff out.

Ah, I didn't find him scary or serious at all, I found even those scenes funny, I couldn't get over the hair, the eyeliner all of it...

Lots of stuff.
To start off with the little, the score was magnificent. Great special effects for its time and most even for today.

I loved the revenge/forgiveness plot adding on to the first film's responsibility plot, and the second's sacrifice/destiny. I like themes.
Peter and Harry, Peter and Flint, Eddie and Peter etc etc. I liked how all of them worked it out except for Eddie, who I think is the true villain and evil in the film, as well as the Symbiote, who couldn't forgive.
The Flint and Uncle Ben thing wasn't necessary, and I felt it complicated the simplicity of the origin, but the premise was still there. However, I got what they were doing trying to make Peter forgive the one thing he never did. He always had a hatred for the killer, and now he can mature and let that go. Yes, he is still responsible, but now he doesn't have that hatred in his heart. I liked that. Not 100% needed, but I get it.
Venom was done perfectly. He looked great, the growls were great, his plot was great. Only issues with me were the lack of monstrous voice (though better left alone than made into something stupid sounding like people on Youtube try to make), and his lack of screentime. Other than that, I was happy with him.
Sandman was a great villain visually and I liked the backstory they gave him. It is way better than his comic book story. It made me like him a lot more.
Harry was also fantastic in it. The two fight scenes were really well done, as was the whole arc with him and Peter teaming up to save their friend/love, MJ.
I loved the birth of Sandman and birth of Venom scenes in every way possible. The music, cinematography, camera work, etc was all perfect in those.
I was okay with Peter dancing. He is a fun, dorky character. I didn't think it was much cheesier than him walking down the street to "Raindrops" in SM2. I think the jazz scene over did it, but it was still funny. I thought the scene in the street was hilarious. Say what you want about the "emo" hair. At least that was the only thing about him that was emo. Typically emos don't wear Italian suits and dance to jazz music. They also aren't cocky and full of themselves.

I have to go back to work, but that's probably a good chunk of what I like in that movie. I think it's great.
There are things I hate, or wish they changed, but there are things like that in the first two or almost any other film. I felt like Sam Raimi had a lot forced on him and made the best out of it that he could, and his effort showed to me. He had a lot of characters to juggle and I felt he did great. The film suffered a bit from all of it too, but it still turned out well for me. I was concerned going in after reading the novel, but came out of the film satisfied. The more I watch it the more I love it.

Yeah.I don't get the "raindrops" scene= Brilliant! "Funk" montage = worst scene everrrrr!

Both were meant to be funny.Both were.

Yeah.I don't get the "raindrops" scene= Brilliant! "Funk" montage = worst scene everrrrr!

Because raindrops was just showing nerdy Peter doing typical nerdy things. Living a nice normal life. It was a warm and charming scene.

Because raindrops was just showing nerdy Peter doing typical nerdy things. Living a nice normal life. It was a warm and charming scene.

Whereas in SM 3 the humor was a reflection of nerdy Peter trying to act cool.

The scene fit Raimi's tone set throughout the series.People expecting "dark" Peter scenes to be more edgy than that, were obviously bound to be disappointed.

The strutting down the street bit I didn't mind. At the time I thought it was funny,but I do wish they would've done something more serious to reflect the symbiote. But...the dance club scene? Yeah,that was WAY too stupid and over the top.

Sometimes a match can be useful, if you're trying to lit a cigarette, but some other times the same match can be a disaster, like if you're covered in gasoline. That's why the same thing can be good or bad.

Personally, I didn't mind the Raindrops scene much because the movie was good enough to take a part of it with certain lightness. But in SM3 the least thing that was needed was to lower the level even more with a stupid scene that didn't make a point and that was excruciatingly unfunny.

Wow this is turning onto a SM3 hate thread...

Well in fairness it's hard to discuss SM-3 without the flaws coming up because there's so many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"