Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up

I'll have to disagree there because I thought Fisher was perfect, but I'm convinced that they put Cyborg on Doom Patrol for instant recognition among older teens and twenty-somethings.
Within the context of the show he's the only member of the team with any superheroing experience.

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Cyborg's look in JL, but it was better than that Wal-Mart Terminator costume they have him wearing on Doom Patrol. That show does look pretty good though overall. Is it worth checking out?
Yes. And once you see Cyborg in motion, it looks way better. I love his costume

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of Cyborg's look in JL, but it was better than that Wal-Mart Terminator costume they have him wearing on Doom Patrol. That show does look pretty good though overall. Is it worth checking out?
Doom Patrol is the best thing DC has done in years. And cyborg was great. Go watch it

Cool... I guess DC will be getting more of my money after all, haha.

DC will have to step their game up if they want me to pay for their streaming service. Titans sounds like something I wouldn’t at all enjoy and I’m not the slightest bit interested in Doom Patrol.

DC will have to step their game up if they want me to pay for their streaming service. Titans sounds like something I wouldn’t at all enjoy and I’m not the slightest bit interested in Doom Patrol.
Swamp Thing is right around the corner

Not interested in that either. YJ is literally the only thing that appeals to me, and I want to binge the series.
Any reason you’re not interested in any of the live action shows?

And after Swamp Thing, Stargirl (with JSA) is coming to DC Universe streaming. Also, Krypton season one will be added. I find it surprising that folks are not excited by it but they get excited when Netflix launches shows like Jessica Jones, Agent Carter, Defenders etc..

In what universe Jessica Jones and Agent Carter are more famous than Titans or Swamp Thing ?

Doom Patrol is the best thing DC has done in years. And cyborg was great. Go watch it
Even though Mr. Nobody doesn't look exactly like the comic version, I'm enjoying the show version.

Any reason you’re not interested in any of the live action shows?

I used the forum to keep up with Titans. It sounds like edge lord nonsense.

I don’t care about the Doom Patrol in general.

I could be persuaded to give Swamp Thing a shot, but I’m not spending extra money on a hunch when we don’t have as much as a single promotional image.

No one is denying that DC wants Cyborg to be a big deal. But their efforts have been largely unsuccessful. His popularity began and ended with Teen Titans.

People know his name, but that doesn’t translate to actual interest in the character himself. At least not outside of group settings.

I think the answers is tied up in that there were several competing demands at the time inside DC. It probably was something like "We want our own Iron Man" combined with "Cyborg is our most popular black hero, lets put him on the JLA". So, the ultimate result was that they had to try to turn Cyborg into an Iron Man expy.

Presumably, they couldn't use Steel either because he's too on-the-nose, too connected with the Superman mythos, or because he committed the unforgivable sin of being an original 90s hero as opposed to vintage silver age.

It's because Geoff Johns had spent the last decade establishing the Hal Jordan character as one of DC's A-list heroes. John Stewart would've been far more logical than Cyborg, but Johns has a lot of power at DC, so they had to go with their second most popular black superhero, Cyborg.

As a big fan of the Geoff Johns Green Lantern run, I was at first unable to see that John Stewart should have been the Green Lantern on the Justice League in the comics and movies. In hindsight, it would've been better to let Hal Jordan have his adventures offworld, while John Stewart's story remains slightly more terrestrial as a staple of the Justice League.

The current core lineup of the Justice League in the comics is IMO the perfect lineup.

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
The Flash (Barry Allen)
Green Lantern (John Stewart)
Hawkgirl
Cyborg
Martian Manhunter

It's because Geoff Johns had spent the last decade establishing the Hal Jordan character as one of DC's A-list heroes. John Stewart would've been far more logical than Cyborg, but Johns has a lot of power at DC, so they had to go with their second most popular black superhero, Cyborg.

As a big fan of the Geoff Johns Green Lantern run, I was at first unable to see that John Stewart should have been the Green Lantern on the Justice League in the comics and movies. In hindsight, it would've been better to let Hal Jordan have his adventures offworld, while John Stewart's story remains slightly more terrestrial as a staple of the Justice League.

The current core lineup of the Justice League in the comics is IMO the perfect lineup.

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
The Flash (Barry Allen)
Hawkgirl
Cyborg
Martian Manhunter
That is an amazing line up to be sure and would have been great for a JL2.

The problem with Hal Jordan is. . . like most DC silver age characters, he's kind of a bland empty cipher. Square jawed and heroic only in the most generic sense, with very little actual depth to his character. Which worked just fine. . . when he was used as the straight man interacting with other, more complex characters. Or it could have worked with him being dead, and used by other living characters as an icon and symbol ( see also: Barry Allen post Crisis ).

And then Geoff Johns brought him back to life, gave him back the role, and then gave him no real depth or character beyond "that perfect, best Green Lantern", which only ever worked as something other characters played off against. As a living, active character who is used as the center of the story, it just made him come off as this kind of arrogant, jerkish Gary Stu. Why is he the best? Because the narrator says so, more or less. Which is why Geoff Johns is a good writer who direly needs editors willing and able to keep him more fanboy inclinations in check.

Which is a problem, because as much as I like nearly every other Green Lantern better as a character, in terms of creating a self-reliant origin movie? Hal Jordan has the best premise and origin. Most of the others are too defined by their relationship to the GL Corps ( and human GLs ) as existing things, and even John Stewart? I like John Stewart, but "Test pilot" makes a stronger, easier thematic connection to Space Police than "Ex-Marine". So, in my opinion, even without Johns, whoever eventually tries to make a GL movie has the unenviable task of essentially building Hal Jordan from scratch starting from the one sentence premise and not much else.

Just curious about something...

I remember years and years ago, back before Cavill was cast, there was a bogus rumor that WB was looking at Zachary Levi for Superman. Fans erupted in rage since all they knew him from was Chuck. Like I said, the rumor turned out to be false. But after seeing clips of him in Shazam, it makes me wonder whether he might have made a good Supes. It could never happen now but I just wonder what people think.

Folks can be very narrow minded when it comes to casting. A lot of actors currently playing superheroes would not of even got a screen test if some of these fans were in charge.

I've enjoyed Grant Morrison's recent Green Lantern run writing Hal Jordan.

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
The Flash (Barry Allen)
Hawkgirl
Cyborg
Martian Manhunter

I like it. I would probably just get rid of Cyborg and go all the way with the DCAU lineup. Maybe have Aquaman relegated to a part time member since he has a kingdom to worry about.

I like it. I would probably just get rid of Cyborg and go all the way with the DCAU lineup. Maybe have Aquaman relegated to a part time member since he has a kingdom to worry about.
Who is the DCAU lineup?

Who is the DCAU lineup?

I’m talking about the Justice League cartoon from back in the day. Team consisted of: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, John stewart GL, Wally west Flash, Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl.

Note that some of those people wouldn't really work with the DCEU as we have it, at least not without some serious "Not going to even care about fitting in the slightest". You can't have Wally West without having Barry Allen, for example, and the movie's logic was stretching things enough as is to have Batman old and established. It wouldn't really work to go "Oh, hey, we also had this other speedster guy out and about for a decade, until he died and got replaced by his old sidekick".

Likewise. . . John, J'onn, and Shayera all have an alien origin, and an *independent* alien origin. Introducing them all in the JL movie would be awkward as hell, you'd really need to have introduced at least two of them in earlier movies ( their own or other people's ).

Note that some of those people wouldn't really work with the DCEU as we have it, at least not without some serious "Not going to even care about fitting in the slightest". You can't have Wally West without having Barry Allen, for example, and the movie's logic was stretching things enough as is to have Batman old and established. It wouldn't really work to go "Oh, hey, we also had this other speedster guy out and about for a decade, until he died and got replaced by his old sidekick".

Likewise. . . John, J'onn, and Shayera all have an alien origin, and an *independent* alien origin. Introducing them all in the JL movie would be awkward as hell, you'd really need to have introduced at least two of them in earlier movies ( their own or other people's ).
Yeah you can. It's easy. Just have Wally be the Flash of this universe with Barry as the Flash of another unverse, or not have Barry at all. Same with John Stewart or Kyle Rayner as GL, you don't need Hal for them to come in. The only people that will care are some nerds and that doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things. And even us nerds will get over it if the movie is good

I don't really get why introducing any of the characters you mentioned Wally West, J'ohnn, and Hawkgirl would be difficult at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"