At the risk of fanboy rage...

AnorexicBatman

Sidekick
Reaction score
What if we never had Oa at all so we could have conserved the budget and made the sequel mostly in space?

Say Abin Sur crashes on Earth and gives Hal the ring warning that he's being chased by a horrible monster called Legion/Parralax that could destroy Earth. At first Hal is too shocked and terrified to know what to do. Sinestro appears, is upset that Abin chose some random human but helps Hal train and occasionally fighting an invading force of monsters created by Legion/Parralax before the big bad himself appears. Kilowog shows up for act 3 and then we have this huge fight scene with the 3 vs Legion/Parralax.

At the end of the movie Hal is offered a trip to Oa to fully induct himself into the GLC because he has proven himself a worthy warrior. We could have also had Hector Hammond as a conduit of sorts to Parralax and he infects and turns others into monsters or stick to the invasion.

What if we never had Oa at all so we could have conserved the budget and made the sequel mostly in space?

Say Abin Sur crashes on Earth and gives Hal the ring warning that he's being chased by a horrible monster called Legion/Parralax that could destroy Earth. At first Hal is too shocked and terrified to know what to do. Sinestro appears, is upset that Abin chose some random human but helps Hal train and occasionally fighting an invading force of monsters created by Legion/Parralax before the big bad himself appears. Kilowog shows up for act 3 and then we have this huge fight scene with the 3 vs Legion/Parralax.

At the end of the movie Hal is offered a trip to Oa to fully induct himself into the GLC because he has proven himself a worthy warrior. We could have also had Hector Hammond as a conduit of sorts to Parralax and he infects and turns others into monsters or stick to the invasion.
They probably needed stuff on Oa to help make the whole guy-with-a-ring-that-makes-glowing-green-shapes less silly, especially for an intro of the concept to wide audiences. Conserving budget shouldn't have been an issue...making a better overall movie should.

They probably needed stuff on Oa to help make the whole guy-with-a-ring-that-makes-glowing-green-shapes less silly, especially for an intro of the concept to wide audiences. Conserving budget shouldn't have been an issue...making a better overall movie should.

So a guy gets bitten by a spider and is soon slinging his way across the city but the same pattern can't work when an alien essentially gives a guy a weapon to fight with? He starts using it to at first fight crime to get used to it (The motivation could be the fact that Abin would give him visions of disaster and Hal is the only one who can do something about it) or forget crime and get straight to an invasion.

An invasion movie where we have someone just as powerful as the invaders on our side sounds new and exiting. I would also really power up Hammond, he'd be using telekinetic powers to toss cars left and right and giving people seizures or even making their heads explode. Not to mention Sinestro would be there to train him and explain to Hal & the audience the situation.

Have you read Animorphs? Same idea. Bunch of kids given a weapon (morph into animals) which they use to fight alien invaders who take over the bodies of humans. Hal would even question what happened to the grand lantern army and Sinestro would explain either dead or defending their own sectors. Make it a time of crisis, in the first movie it's Hammond and the alien Legion, while Parralax retreats to lick it's wounds, in the second Sinestro gets desperate and starts using the yellow ring while Hal fights off Atrocious and the Manhunters (optional). Only in Part 3 would Parralax be finally send back into his own dimension or locked inside the main battery on Oa.

At the climax of the 'Parralax Trilogy' Hal dies saving the universe and after the closing credits we see Hal's ring reach earth and drop onto an animator's drawing board with a stylized Green Lantern drawn on it with the signature, Kyle Rayner

Last edited:
So a guy gets bitten by a spider and is soon slinging his way across the city but the same pattern can't work when an alien essentially gives a guy a weapon to fight with?.
Is the guy bitten by a spider making big glowing web fists and racecars? Does he chant some rhyming spider-oath?

Trust me....GL needs the space-epic stuff.

He starts using it to at first fight crime to get used to it (The motivation could be the fact that Abin would give him visions of disaster and Hal is the only one who can do something about it.) Not to mention Sinestro would be there to train him and it would be an invasion movie.
So another guy...with a big lightbulb head...shows up on Earth too...and starts making green shapes as well.... :D

Have you read Animorphs? Same idea. Bunch of kids given a weapon (morph into animals) which they use to fight alien invaders who take over the bodies of humans.
Maybe they should have turned that into a movie. ;)

Last edited:
Is the guy bitten by a spider making big glowing web fists and racecars? Does he chant some rhyming spider-oath?

Trust me....GL needs the space-epic stuff.

No but that's why Abin Sur would give him a cliff notes version. Why have a gun when you can have a device that makes anything you can imagine? The Oath would be given to him by the Lantern, he doesn't have to say it but does anyway because he was in the military and understands the significance of oaths and such.

The ring would talk (with the voice of Martin Jordan, the lantern/ring suggests to think about any living thing he cares most about, since the ammunition is raw EMOTION.) This would also give Hal his very own Jarvis and again explain to Hal why he's green and fighting yellow monsters. The constructs would also be more serious so no race cars or dumb **** but sledgehammers or a tank would be fine.

It would be a space-epic but more of an invasion film.

So another guy...with a big lightbulb head...shows up on Earth too...and starts making green shapes as well....

Alien gives him weapon. Says more like him but it will take them time to arrive so meanwhile Hal has to take up arms. When Sinestro & Kilowog do arrive, he thinks about quitting but realizes he's in to deep, not to mention like any good soldier he would defend his nation/planet by any means necessary. It would be a shocker when he's allowed to join the corps because the rings are not meant to be given away but instead they have to choose. Hal would start off as a one time fluke but later earns the ring, Sinestro suggests that in different circumstances the ring would have chosen him anyway.

Maybe they should have turned that into a movie.

They should turn Animorphs into a movie.

EDIT:

I just realized that this movie would need Pike AKA Alan Scott from the script who acts as a government liaison. Not to mention, Hal as GL announcing to the world that he will always be there to defend him as will the rest of the corps. Make it all Superman-esque.

Last edited:
No but that's why Abin Sur would give him a cliff notes version. Why have a gun when you can have a device that makes anything you can imagine? The Oath would be given to him by the Lantern, he doesn't have to say it but does anyway because he was in the military and understands the significance of oaths and such.

The ring would talk (with the voice of Martin Jordan, the lantern/ring suggests to think about any living thing he cares most about, since the ammunition is raw EMOTION.) This would also give Hal his very own Jarvis and again explain to Hal why he's green and fighting yellow monsters. The constructs would also be more serious so no race cars or dumb **** but sledgehammers or a tank would be fine.

It would be a space-epic but more of an invasion film.
While conserving the budget. Cute. ;)

Alien gives him weapon. Says more like him but it will take them time to arrive so meanwhile Hal has to take up arms. When Sinestro & Kilowog do arrive, he thinks about quitting but realizes he's in to deep, not to mention like any good soldier he would defend his nation/planet by any means necessary. It would be a shocker when he's allowed to join the corps because the rings are not meant to be given away but instead they have to choose. Hal would start off as a one time fluke but later earns the ring, Sinestro suggests that in different circumstances the ring would have chosen him anyway.
Have Spidey make an appearance, and you may be on to something.

They should turn Animorphs into a movie.
To compete with Smurfs, yeah. :D

What you're suggesting seems to be fueled by comic-fandom, which is fine from a fan perspective. But I don't see anything that would have really made a difference in terms of details from what the movie was...it doesn't really sound any more interesting unless you're already a GL comic fan....just like giving elves more hit points or what have you would only tickle the fancy of a Dungeons & Dragons fan. The problem was in delivery. From the sounds of it, the movie had the elements it needed right there...it was just put together poorly, which in turn made the concept look/feel that much sillier. They could have used every idea that you mentioned, but if it was put together as badly, it'd be just as silly/unimpressive to those who found the movie that did get made silly/unimpressive. And let's face it...the ring, the rhyme, the mask, the glowing shapes...they REALLY needed to make it a very good movie for it to have a chance. They probably needed more space stuff and more Oa...more stuff that felt less comic-booky/cartoony and more big-movie-adventure, if you will. Invasion....sure, why not...but invasion like in TF3 or Battle:LA, not just some more guys in costumes with yellow rings/shapes/masks/etc. on Earth. Ships, alien worlds, huge guns...that kind of invasion.

Last edited:
While conserving the budget. Cute. ;)

Have Spidey make an appearance, and you may be on to something.

To compete with Smurfs, yeah. :D

What you're suggesting seems to be fueled by comic-fandom, which is fine from a fan perspective. But I don't see anything that would have really made a difference in terms of details from what the movie was...it doesn't really sound any more interesting unless you're already a GL comic fan....just like giving elves more hit points or what have you would only tickle the fancy of a Dungeons & Dragons fan. The problem was in delivery. From the sounds of it, the movie had the elements it needed right there...it was just put together poorly, which in turn made the concept look/feel that much sillier. They could have used every idea that you mentioned, but if it was put together as badly, it'd be just as silly/unimpressive to those who found the movie that did get made silly/unimpressive.

Okay so the budget argument goes out the window since my movie would be as expensive as Transformers 3 was. Also, it's less comic fandom and more about deviating from the formulaic way superhero movies unfold these days, not to mention we never had a situation where the hero was on a timer and the fact that if he just sits on his ass, the entire planet would be destroyed. I think this origin would be way too epic in scale.

You are also correct in saying that it's all about execution. A movie about a guy trapped in a coffin in the desert (BURIED) could be a snooze fest or genuinely terrifying, so it's all in how you approach it. I guess I lost my initial argument but again, remove the monsters and just have it be Hammond though that would be boring.

Okay so the budget argument goes out the window since my movie would be as expensive as Transformers 3 was.
GL was already more expensive than TF3 was. :O And TF3 had invasions AND Space battles on other planets...and better effects and better action and....well, y'know. ;)

Also, it's less comic fandom and more about deviating from the formulaic way superhero movies unfold these days, not to mention we never had a situation where the hero was on a timer and the fact that if he just sits on his ass, the entire planet would be destroyed. I think this origin would be way too epic in scale.

You are also correct in saying that it's all about execution. A movie about a guy trapped in a coffin in the desert (BURIED) could be a snooze fest or genuinely terrifying, so it's all in how you approach it. I guess I lost my initial argument but again, remove the monsters and just have it be Hammond though that would be boring.

GL might be better utilized in an ensemble or JL story, to contrast his abilities against others and give him specific tasks that the others can't perform....like in Space. :D

I have to disagree with not having Oa. The space opera elements is one of the draws of Green Lantern. It just sounds like the budget was mismanaged and that they went with wrong SFX company and that not enough time was given in development.

Actually, the only scenes I appreciated were the ones from OA and in space. So, you know, why take away the good stuffs? The movie could have done away with Hammon, to be honest. He was the weak link, and it made the movie tedious to watch. For the sequel (I hope there is one) they should focus more on OA and the other GLs, and I will love this, I am positive. The tricky part is the budget.

The main problem with GL was the story, parallax should have infected Krona and Krona should have looked just like other Guardians but with more powers, instead of looking like a giant cloud, Hector Hammond should not have been a villain in this origin movie but a creepy character.

Space elements are integral part of GL

The main problem with GL was the story, parallax should have infected Krona and Krona should have looked just like other Guardians but with more powers, instead of looking like a giant cloud, Hector Hammond should not have been a villain in this origin movie but a creepy character.

Space elements are integral part of GL

I agree. Hector Hammond was a weak character and Parallax would have been more effective if they'd spent a little more CGI money there. I would have loved to see him as a bright yellow glowing alien insect/dragon shape that we only see for brief moments when he takes possession of Krona and then releases him.

It wasn't the content, it was the concept. Green Lantern, a guy with a ring that makes him create anything he can imagine is silly and idiotic according to critics. Also, the fact that they got with toy-makers, who were only interested in selling toys, 2 years ago to make the film more kid friendly didn't help. You get a bad review and your parents have no interest in dragging you to the movie.

It wasn't the content, it was the concept. Green Lantern, a guy with a ring that makes him create anything he can imagine is silly and idiotic according to critics. Also, the fact that they got with toy-makers, who were only interested in selling toys, 2 years ago to make the film more kid friendly didn't help. You get a bad review and your parents have no interest in dragging you to the movie.

It wasn't the concept, it was the execution. Green Lantern the movie was silly and idiotic according to critics...and many moviegoers...regardless of what it was about. The Transforemers movies, with a concept no more or less silly...got panned by critics too, but they still at least had something that audiences enjoyed on a mass level...GL didn't.

I think it could have worked without OA, although I think OA does make a certain amount of sense.

But if you wanted to cut out OA, you just have Sinestro coming to Earth to mentor Hal. Secret Origins spent a bit of time in space, but most of it was set on Earth. I would have used it as more of a template.

Finally, I would have had a different villain to Parallax. Why they thought a giant cloud villain would be good after the Galactus debacle is beyond me ... but more importantly, Parallax is the kind of villain you build up to, not kick off with.

That's not bad actually. Just look at how Justice League New Frontier, both the comic and the animated film adaptation. We are given Hal's backstory, he gets the ring and in the final portion of the film facing down the threat, he's the real hero that turns the tide. It's not until the very end that he's invited to OA. I think it works well in the context b/c we really get to know him as a character long before he gets the ring, we see emotional conflict etc. We see Abin Sur even. But yeah as hard as it is to believe we didn't have to see OA. I'm glad we did but would've liked to see it handled much differently so it just makes you say "awesome!" when you see it, instead of being so abstract looking.

that's true for Transformers, alien robots that turn into vehicles, and a host of other superhero characters/films. If it was well made it wouldn't matter. His powers aren't any more silly than the rest of superheroes, or a grown man who dresses up as a giant Bat to fight crime who's primary villain is a clown :huh: It's all silly if you look at it that way.

Critics like to place the blame on overarching things like that, or saying BAtman works b/c it's dark and that's how all comic book movies should be handled if they want to be accepted by a modern audience. Well Avengers just proved that "enlightened" theory wrong a billion times over.

It's not the concept, if so all no superhero should be successful because the idea of grown ups running around in costumes is then inherently silly. It's the execution. Every time one of these movies does poorly, those same critics ask "are people tired of comic book movies?". No people are tired of bad movies period. They want good entertaining movies regardless of the genre. Again look at Hulk, how many people thought he was no longer a viable property? Was it b/c of his core concept or b/c his movies were very good? Yet he was the breakout star of Avengers :wow: What does that tell you? All they needed was to get him right and that resonated with audiences.

I can't believe there's even a discussion about no Oa. You think people were mad when they didn't show enough of the Corps...

Keep the idea of Oa, drop the idea of rings and green shapes...and it should be a good start.

;)

Critics like to place the blame on overarching things like that, or saying BAtman works b/c it's dark and that's how all comic book movies should be handled if they want to be accepted by a modern audience. Well Avengers just proved that "enlightened" theory wrong a billion times over.
Where's the critics saying all the superhero movies should be dark like Nolan's Bat flicks? I overwhelmingly see critics, bloggers, and audiences saying that not everything needs to like that. People were screaming for something bright, colorful, and fun like The Avengers. It's the very thing I wanted out of Green Lantern.

The rest of your post is pretty spot on, but I take issue with that assessment of the critics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"