Aziz Ansari/'Parks and Rec' EPs Reunite For Netflix Comedy Series

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/parks-recreations-aziz-ansari-mike-708794
'Parks and Recreation's' Aziz Ansari, Mike Schur Set New Comedy at Netflix
APRIL 21, 2015 8:30pm PT by Lesley Goldberg

Co-created by Ansari and fellow 'Parks and Recreation' co-EP Alan Yang.

Nearly two months after NBC's Parks and Recreation wrapped its seven-season run, co-creator Mike Schur and co-EP Alan Yang are reteaming with one of its stars for their next project.

Shur and Yang have teamed with Parks star and stand-up comedian Aziz Ansari for an untitled comedy series at Netflix, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Ansari and Yang co-created the new series, which will feature a cast that includes Ansari, Jon Benjamin (Netflix's Wet Hot American Summer reboot, Bob's Burgers), Lena Waithe (The Comeback), Eric Wareheim (Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!), Noel Wells (SNL) and Kelvin Yu (writer for Bob's Burgers). The logline and plot details are being kept under wraps, but the series had been rumored to be loosely based on Ansari's life.

The comedy hails from Universal Television, the studio behind both Parks and Rec andSchur and Dan Goor's Brooklyn Nine-Nine and where Schur and his Fremulon banner is under an overall deal, and 3 Arts, which produces both series.

Anzari, Yang, Schur, 3 Arts' Dave Becky and David Miner will exec produce the 10-episode half-hour series. James Ponsoldt (Spectacular Now) will direct. Production is already under way in New York following a lengthy deal making process.

The series brings Ansari back into the Netflix fold. The comedian teamed with the streaming service for Buried Alive, a comedy special that featured his stand-up work and tour across the world with stops at New York's Carnegie Hall, London's Hammersmith Apollo and the Sydney Opera House. Buried Alive was a follow-up to his previous comedy specials, Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening and Dangerously Delirious, which are both available on Netflix and were first offered for $5 on Ansari's website using Louis C.K.'s DYI model. His MSG special is currently streaming.

The series will now give Schur two shows, with Golden Globe winner Brooklyn Nine-Nine already renewed for a third season at Fox. For Universal Television, the Ansari vehicle is the studio's second series at the streaming service and joins Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, which landed at Netflix with a second season renewal after being developed at NBC.

For his part, Emmy-winning writer-producer Schur started his career and won his first Emmy for his work on Saturday Night Live, where he was a producer and head writer on Weekend Update. He collected a WGA Award for best episodic comedy in 2007 for an episode of The Office, where he shared in the show's comedy series Emmy. He's repped by UTA, 3 Arts and Hansen Jacobson.

Ansari, meanwhile, starred as the sharp-dressed Tom Haverford on Parks and Rec since its start. Before that, he created and starred in MTV's sketch comedy series Human Giants, which ran for two seasons. Repped by WME, 3 Arts and Morris Yorn, Ansari's first book is also due in June.

Parks and Recreation has been a career launch pad for its stars. Ansari has used his co-starring role to expand his résumé to include features This Is the End, a voice role in Epic and co-writing Let's Do This with Judd Apatow. The cast was recognized as Platform Pushers in THR's 2013 Comedy Issue.

At Netflix, the Schur-Ansari series joins a growing roster of original scripted comedies including Jane Fonda-Lily Tomlin entry Grace and Frankie as well as a follow-up to Wet Hot American Summer, newly ordered Fuller House, With Bob and David, Will Arnett's Flaked, Love and more.

Ponsoldt is with UTA, Brillstein and Frankfurt Kurnit.
On one hand, a Parks and Rec talent reunion is too damn good to pass up (fingers crossed for plenty of cameos), but on the other, Aziz is one of the lower ranking Parks and Rec castmembers IMO. I don't know. I guess I'll have to watch some of his stand-up.

I don't know how to feel about this. Aziz Ansari can be kinda annoying in large doses.

Y'all crazy. :o

Love Aziz. Really looking forward to this

Trailer dropped. It has a brief sex scene in the beginning so I can't link to it but it's all over. Youtube and all that.

It looks interesting and I think it's a good move from him. He's playing a much more subdued version of himself. It's not like other characters that Aziz has played at least that's what I got from the trailer.

Apparently this is up on Netflix now. Odd that they only decided to drop a trailer like two weeks prior to the premiere.

Binged this last night. Hysterical but also touching.

I binged this between Friday night and yesterday afternoon. This was simply fantastic. The whole cast is phenomenal, but shout to Aziz himself and Noel Wells. Definitely a favorite of the year.

I can't believe Aziz directed most of it either. He's got talent beyond stand-up.

I think this was really good. As I said about the trailer, it wasnt Aziz playing his stand up persona it was a lot more subdued and honest. The writing was really good, I recognized some bits from his standup; namely the girls walking home at night ep which honestly just made me depressed :(

My favorite episode was probably the one about the Indian actors.

Can't wait for season 2

EDIT: Also that episode "Mornings" is gonna get them awards. Or at least it should. One of the most realistic portrayals of a relationship I have seen on screen

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"