bands changing frontmen, what's your take?

dru-zod2501

Civilian
Reaction score
It's happened all over the airwaves for many years, and for various reasons, most recent seeming the replacement of Scott Weyland in STP for what I call CheSTP. How does the Hype feel about their favorite bands with new sounds?

My feel is that it's really a case-by-case basis. some, like Alice In Chains, is good because it respects what came before but still sounds new, and y'know, the former lead is dead can't really do anything about that.

The situation with STP is the band saying "**** you, we like this guy better, so you're out!" As such, it feels to me like Chester is just "filling in" for the real frontman; I can't yet accept him as the new lead.

I could name a few bands that threw me for a loop when changing voices, and some that didn't, and I still can't determine why, but I wanna know what you guys think.

It just depends on the nature of the band. I think the reason Black Sabbath has endured without Ozzy Osbourne is that Tony Iommi is the primary creative source of the band's sound. But with a band like The Misfits, Glenn Danzig had the most influence on the sound, so people turned on them when he left.

It depends, but I can't take STP seriously as STP with the singer from Linkin' Park even though I don't have anything particularly against the guy or his band.

Why limit this discussion to frontmen? How about frontwomen too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"