World What's your preferred viewing order?

Grootster

Dancing Tree
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this, so I thought I'd create one!

For me, I can't say I have a specific favorite viewing order when I rewatch them. I just tend to watch whatever I feel like at the time, especially since I watch some of the Star Wars movies much more frequently than others. I watch A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back (and probably Rogue One as more time passes) more frequently than I watch the rest of the saga, and I just don't care to rewatch them all equally.

Recently I did rewatch all the Star Wars movies in chronological order for the first time and it was a pretty fun experience, especially for someone who's been a longtime fan of the franchise. I don't think the series is as tight of an overall storyline as something like Lord of the Rings (which almost has to be watched in order), so I can't see doing this all the time. Still, it was a fun experience, and I'd encourage all fans of the franchise to try it at least once.

As for first time viewers, I'm strongly in favor of recommending they watch the movies in order of release, and I advocate this any chance I get. For one thing, watching them in chronological order for the first time spoils major reveals in the series: Darth Vader being Luke's father, Luke and Leia being siblings; even character reveals with a lot of buildup like Jabba, the Emperor, and seeing Vader's face for the first time are cheapened by watching them in order. For another thing, the fact that these three 'waves' of Star Wars movies have been made in very different time-periods means that the special effects change drastically between movies, and this will only increase with the more spinoffs we get. It would probably be shocking for a first time viewer to go from 2016 Death Star special effects to 1977 Death Star special effects in-between movies that take place back-to-back. I feel like the only way to fully appreciate the saga from a filmmaking perspective is to watch them in order of release.

I know there are other viewing orders like the Machete order, which order do you prefer to watch them in.

4, 5, 6.

This is still how I watch and what I recommend to new viewers. I only watch Episode 1 if I'm feeling nostalgic or want a "so bad it's good" movie (2 and 3 stratch neither of those itches for me.) I never ever feel like watching either of the new ones. Rogue One is so boring and Episode 7 is always "why not just watch A New Hope?"

Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for but these are my honest thoughts.

I watch them in release order, but like the above, I do not really watch episodes 1-3 much, if ever. The OT and Episode 7 I do watch a lot.

Star Wars
Empire
Jedi

I saw each upon original release.

These days the films are a biennial outing with re-watch for me. Ten years ago they may have been an annual watch and further back perhaps two to three viewings a year.
I've seen IV, V and VI so many times that I'm not as moved by them as much as I used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"