Banker leaves waitress 1% tip, complete with insulting footnote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me Darkman

He's a Freak!
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trendin...ncites-class-warfare-between-1-164624882.html

Just when you may have thought the ongoing battle between the 99% and the 1% was dying down, it may have been reignited. A wealthy banker left a $1.33 tip on a $133 lunch at the True Food Kitchen restaurant in Newport Beach, California.

To add insult to injury the word "tip" was circled on the receipt, and the banker wrote "get a real job" on the bill. The picture of the receipt was taken and uploaded to the blog Future Ex-Banker by a person who was dining with the anonymous banker. As expected, the blog received a lot of attention and has now been taken down. The author of the blog wrote, "mention the 99% in my boss' presence and feel his wrath. So proudly does he wear his 1% badge of honor that he tips exactly 1% every time he feels the server doesn't sufficiently bow down to his holiness."

People online who had a chance to see the blog post before it went offline and those who have been made aware of it on social media outlets are outraged. One person called the tip a "tale of greed and contempt," and another referred to it as "arrogance personified." The Web's general reaction to this story is eerily similar to an almost identical 1% vs. 99% scenario that took place last fall. In Washington state, a waitress received a tip of no money and advice scrawled on the receipt that told her she could "stand to lose a few pounds."

Reminds me of the argument at the beginning of Reservoir Dogs.

I swear some of these arogant evil corporate bastards should be executed by the people like they used to do back in the day over in Europe. I'm not even joking, they are true evil.

It's going to be amazing once someone finds out who this guy is. I like how a real job is sitting around playing with other people's money.

he better not go that diner again, his foods gonna hold some nasty content.

Part of me thinks that this is going to turn out to be a hoax just because no one could possibly be that ignorant or rude.

Part of me thinks that this is going to turn out to be a hoax just because no one could possibly be that ignorant or rude.
Unfortunately, some people really are that ignorant and rude.

Not to be rude but have you ever worked tech support/billing/retention for any big company or fast food? I've done all of them and you get surprised every day how low some people get.

I had one guy call in for billing who had called in 7 times before because he felt that our automated billing systems were off by 1 cent and he was an abusive *******. He demanded to talk to the president/ceo of the company and get minimum a year free of service. He kept going on about how much money he made and how much he spent monthly and how he was going to sue us for fraud.

I did the math on my side, everything balanced out taxes and all. After the call I checked his calls a week or so later and he called back several more times. :whatever:

This honestly doesn't surprise me. That's why I'm glad I got out of customer service. I don't have to deal with anyone but my co-workers now. Huzzah for working in a bakery.

just curious matt, have you ever worked in retail

i'd say a good load of people out there are just like this asswipe

You'll be surprised, actually. I for one don't think this news is far-fetched at all.

just curious matt, have you ever worked in retail

i'd say a good load of people out there are just like this asswipe

Yep. Still, the note part doesn't ring true to me though. Why waste your time?

But what bothers me is that it is an anonymous blogger who posted this, no waitress has come forward, no banker has been identified. The company has released a statement but hasn't confirmed one way or another as to whether or not it is real or whether or not they have actually found the waitress. I wonder how many hits the blog has gotten since this posting? I am just skeptical at this point.

I shall name him Superdick.

Also, why would someone risk their job to call their boss out? If it goes viral (as he must've anticipated), the boss is going to know who was at lunch with him. The whole thing rings fake to me.

I swear some of these arogant evil corporate bastards should be executed by the people like they used to do back in the day over in Europe. I'm not even joking, they are true evil.
Someone being an ******* isn't true evil or grounds for being executed.

Someone being an ******* isn't true evil or grounds for being executed.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I don't mean leaving a ****** note to the waitress, but how a lot of these corporate bankers/owners are greedy as all **** in general. Yeah, execution may be a bit extreme but some of the **** they've been getting away with in this country is ridiculous. I really feel the people need to revolt if things keep getting worse with the government and corporations. This Occupy Wall Street bs isn't doing a damn thing.

It's guys like that that are just laughing their asses off at the Occupy movement.

They're still not true evil. And to call them that just shows how clueless most people are about what evil actually is.

You have too much faith in humanity then.

But I find this hilarious. Its such a dick thing to do. If that was me I wouldn't even care about the tip but the "get a real job" would have pushed me over the edge. Someone should throw hot coffee at him.

They're still not true evil. And to call them that just shows how clueless most people are about what evil actually is.

Ok, then what exactly is evil?? You have people like Hitler and Hussein for examples, but for me evil also includes people that are so greedy they don't care who's lives they destroy or **** up. I think there are different levels of evil out there and it's all a matter of opinion and not a right and wrong kind of thing necessarily.

It's fake:

On Monday evening, True Food Kitchen in Newport Beach released an official statement based on their investigation (described above) into the authenticity of the purported receipt showing a 1% tip. The restaurant's statement reveals that their hard receipt copies do not, in fact, match the photo (shown above) that was initially posted on futureexbanker.wordpress.com (since taken down). The complete statement from True Food Kitchen:

We’re glad to respond to the news stories about a tipping incident at True Food Kitchen in Newport Beach.

Our first concern upon learning about this situation was our staff. We are very fortunate to have employees that are talented, bright, and undoubtedly, some of the best in the business.

However, we would like to report that there is misinformation circulating about this situation. The dining receipt that was originally posted on the blog, Future Ex Banker, and then republished by various websites, was, in fact, altered and exaggerated. We’d also like to assure people that the receipt was not posted and altered by anyone on behalf of True Food Kitchen. We respect our guests’ privacy and take it very seriously; we would never share personal information.

I'm not even joking, they are true evil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back