Barbara Gordon Casting Thread

If they ever put Barbara I don't think they'll make her a protegee of Bruce. She pretty much isn't one in the comics. They'll probably go the more young adult route which is good because it allows for more interesting plotlines.

If they ever put Barbara I don't think they'll make her a protegee of Bruce. She pretty much isn't one in the comics.
Eh... she was more independent than Dick, but Bruce still helped Barbara out a lot in her early years as Batgirl. He provided her with the equipment, helped her refine her crimefighting skills... he even paid for her surgery in the New 52/Rebirth universe. So yeah, I'd argue that from a certain point of view she is/was his protegee.

Plus her origin story has never been told in a movie. No, Batman and Robin doesn't count.

If they ever put Barbara I don't think they'll make her a protegee of Bruce. She pretty much isn't one in the comics. They'll probably go the more young adult route which is good because it allows for more interesting plotlines.
"Probably"? Based on what? Barbara became Batgirl when she was a teenager. The Barbara in this film will be younger to accommodate the young Batman. It's really that simple unless they change her dynamic with Bruce by making her an adult

It wouldn't be too much of a drastic change. Their dynamic was never reliant on her being a teen, only her being younger than him. In The New Batman Animated series she was 22 or something like that, and the Batgirl Year One comic puts her at 18 when she became Batgirl and in later stories in her 20s.
Bruce and her never had a daughter-father relationship, only a mentor one. I really don't know where the whole "She sees him as a father figure" thing came from. She already has a father, his name is James Gordon and that's all she needs.

Plus... stop me if you heard this one before: Young, highschool kid decides to become a superhero using the gadgets provided to him/her by his/her billionaire menthor.

Faaar too similar to Homecoming. In fact it'd basically be Spiderman Homecoming but with a girl. I'd rather see her in college or working, then you can show something audiences haven't seen before that could be really fun.

Lillis is almost 18. Isn't that college age? I don't think anyone is asking for Batgirl to be in high school.

I think that the lane for Barbara Gordon/Batgirl in film is to focus on the father-daughter relationship.
One of the most powerful emotional moments in Batman:TheAnimatedSeries is at the end of ‘Over the Edge’ when Jim lets Barbara know- with a wink- that he’s aware that she’s Batgirl, and that he’s proud of her.
We’ve seen a little bit of fathers and daughters in superhero films (Ant-Man, Kick-Ass), but always as a secondary thing.
As far as similarities to Spider-Man:Homecoming, I don’t think Barbara being in her teens is a problem (did audiences reject Ironman as a Batman ripoff because it was about a billionaire with lots of gadgets?)- the gender change alone is something unique.
In this age of the superhero movie, have little girls ever seen a youthful distaff hero?
The merchandising could be enormous.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying I want Jim Gordon to be replaced by Bruce as Barbara's father figure. That's not what happened in the comics and I wouldn't want it to happen in the movies. But they also shouldn't erase her mentor/mentee relationship with Batman.

The merchandising could be enormous.
I think WB know. That's why they didn't put Batgirl in BoP... they didn't want to rush her debut and be overshadowed by other characters.

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. :o

Last edited:
They can do the whole menthor dynamic with her being 22, a young woman. Also, it'd be waaaay easier to buy her kicking ass on her own if she's a young adult instead of a teen. Yeah, I get it, it's a superhero film or whatever but even in Gotham it was hard to buy that Bruce Wayne and that Selina Kyle kicking ass. Tom Holland you can buy because Spiderman has superpowers, Batgirl doesn't.

The young adult thing also allows for exploring environments and territory we haven't seen before in superhero films. We haven't really seen any superhero deal with that point of their lives yet

After watching Netflix's Lost in Space show Mina Sundwall is my no. 1 choice for Barbara Gordon. She's 17, looks the part and has a good comedic delivery.

740full-mina-sundwall.jpg
i9hHTDD.jpg

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...sjiAhVhtnEKHfaMB54QMwhHKAUwBQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

Actually nvm... she would make a great Stephanie Brown.

I'd love Newton as Stephanie Brown, but I don't imagine we're getting Stephanie anytime soon, at least not in film. I could see her maybe showing up in Batwoman.

I already suggested Ethan for Jim, but Maya Hawke as Barbara? She was pretty good in Stranger Things :shrug:

Many of the casting here are too old TBH. If Reeves want Barbara and/or Dick to grow within his films, then he should go younger. Having a subtle hint of Barbara and Bruce romance is stupid when you have Catwoman.

Amiah Miller (Nova from War for the Planet of the Apes)

Dp0HsuXV4AAuRfA.jpg

DwpZlfrV4AAMbTv.jpg:large

And Matt Reeves actually follows her twitter account so there's that.

I definitely want a long term Oracle so I think I would like 2 Batgirls too.

I can't see how they could fit establishing Barbara as Batgirl, her paralysis/development into Oracle and introducing a new Batgirl without it seeming rushed. Especially if Matt Reeves is going to introduce Robin too...

I can't see how they could fit establishing Barbara as Batgirl, her paralysis/development into Oracle and introducing a new Batgirl without it seeming rushed. Especially if Matt Reeves is going to introduce Robin too...
I don’t mean in this film. I said long term, as in however many films down the line. No need to rush anything (again).

None of these have to happen.

They don't. A series with Barbara as Batgirl from start to finish is perfectly fine.

How young should Barbara be in her first appearance? 15, 18, 20 or more? Should she be older or the same age with Dick?

Ideally she should be in her late teens. Same for Dick.

None of these have to happen.

Well yeah, I’m just responding to the poster who said they want to see Oracle and multiple Batgirls, for that to have any impact story wise, we’d need to see it play out over a few films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"