Barbara Gordon Casting Thread

15affd1343de858b696033210228.gif

I was actually going to suggest her a few days ago, but I hadn't gone on the forums in a day or two. But in any case, I think she'd do absolutely fantastic as Babs.

I reaaally don't wanna see Batman having teenage sidekicks in an otherwise dark gritty noir world.

Dick Grayson you have no choice because of the father-son dynamic but Barbara you can just have her be 20 if the intention is for her to become Batgirl.

Maya Hawke and Hailee Stenfield are great choices, young but not too young.

Barbara Gordon in her original incarnation was a librarian, so it stands to reason that she shouldn't be that young.

Early/Mid-20s, I'd say.

Sophia Lillis is 17. By the time the Batgirl movie gets made (assuming it does) she'll be 20, not a teen anymore. She'll be older than Barbara was during the events of Batgirl: Year One, and closer in age to Silver Age Barbara when she started her supehero career.

I stand by my choice. :ndd:

Sophia Lillis is 17. By the time the Batgirl movie gets made (assuming it does) she'll be 20, not a teen anymore. She'll be older than Barbara was during the events of Batgirl: Year One, and closer in age to Silver Age Barbara when she started her supehero career.

I can see that.

(choice that is.)

With the Bruce we have not only being the age he is, but also looking like he does, it's a bit of a disconnect for me age wise.

Since Pattinson's Bruce is going to be a young Year Two type of Batman, it makes more sense to me to make Barbra a teenager if she is in this movie (and she probably wouldn't be Batgirl yet, or if she is; she is just starting out really young).

With the Bruce we have not only being the age he is, but also looking like he does, it's a bit of a disconnect for me age wise.
I think it's a good thing. It's time to show people what Barbara and Bruce's relationship really is like.

I think it's a good thing. It's time to show people what Barbara and Bruce's relationship really is like.

A... friendship with Bruce trying to be a menthor to her and her sometimes accepting that and sometimes not? Because you can have that with a young adult as well.

As far as Barbara's character goes it really doesn't add much to her to be a teenager unless Reeves has some sort of specific arc planned over the course of the trilogy that requires her to be a teenager in the first film. If that's the case then Sophia Lilis is ok, still a bigger fan of Stenfield and Maya Hawke though.

Things to consider...

If this is Year Two Batman would Jim Gordon be that far removed from his Year One age? Which means he would still be 40'ish, and his kids would still be on the younger side (teenagers at most). Why would Barbra be in her 20s unless her dad is 50 to 60, age range wise (unless he had her when he was really young).

If they are doing a solo Batgirl movie would Barbra even be Batgirl in the Matt Reeves Batman movie (if Barbra is even in this at all)? Seems like she'd just be "Jim Gordon's daughter" with the Batgirl stuff to come later down the road.

Things to consider...

If this is Year Two Batman would Jim Gordon be that far removed from his Year One age? Which means he would still be 40'ish, and his kids would still be on the younger side (teenagers at most). Why would Barbra be in her 20s unless her dad is 50 to 60, age range wise (unless he had her when he was really young).

If they are doing a solo Batgirl movie would Barbra even be Batgirl in the Matt Reeves Batman movie (if Barbra is even in this at all)? Seems like she'd just be "Jim Gordon's daughter" with the Batgirl stuff to come later down the road.
I mean.. Ethan Hawke is 48 and Maya is 21.

Real Batman fans approve of the Hawkes as Jim and Barb because it could also Uma’s return to the franchise. :cool:

When it comes to Dick and Barbara, corporate demands will surely come to play if they become Batgirl or Nightwing immediately after the first or second film. Sophia Lillis is my second choice.

I've begun to lean into Haley Lu Richardson. The age may be older than my preference, but eh, it's a thing that I think can be handwaved a bit.

A... friendship with Bruce trying to be a menthor to her and her sometimes accepting that and sometimes not? Because you can have that with a young adult as well.
That their relationship is not and will never be a romantic one. The only big screen adaptation of Batgirl that doesn't portray her as a potential partner for Bruce is freaking Batman and Robin. I want this movie to make sure that no one comes out of the theater having weird ideas about what kind of relationship these two have.

That's why it is my opinion that Babs should be significantly younger than Bruce. Well that, and because I don't want another large adult Robin. :o

That their relationship is not and will never be a romantic one. The only big screen adaptation of Batgirl that doesn't portray her as a potential partner for Bruce is freaking Batman and Robin. I want this movie to make sure that no one comes out of the theater having weird ideas about what kind of relationship these two have.

That's why it is my opinion that Babs should be significantly younger than Bruce. Well that, and because I don't want another large adult Robin. :o
Amen.

Reeves has to make bold choices because WB will definitely want an expansive franchise, not just Batman himself. Casting Robin and Batgirl young, while establishing them in Batman then setting out on their own will payoff for both WB and the GA.

Eh. The only reason it's not a thing in the main continuity is because she's with Dick in that one and both Bruce and Barbara are so fed up with each others bull**** to make it a thing, but there are plenty of other continuities where that's not the case and she's a potential partner for Bruce. Also, her relationship with Dick Grayson is not really that important for either character to say it /must/ be in this continuity too, you can write them both just fine if they aren't together.

Because it's not a paternal relationship, her relationship with Bruce and the impossibility of it being anything platonic or romantic in any circumstance on canons other than the main one is not something as set in stone in the overall mythology as his paternal relationship with Carrie Kelley and Cassandra Cain because Bruce has never seen Barbara as a daughter and she has never seen Bruce as a father.
Heck, even in main continuity... Cassandra Cain looked at Barbara as her mother and Bruce as her father. Especially in her times as Oracle, her relationship with Bruce resembled more of bickering workhusbands/workwives than anything else, so that leaves some room open to change in other continuities.
The very fact that he doesn't look at Barbara the same way he looks at Dick, Jason, Tim, Damian, Cassandra, Carrie or Stephanie opens possibilities in the elseworlds when they're a bit closer in age or aren't tired of each others ****.

I'm fine with whatever Reeves wants to do with their dynamic, whether it's to just make them allies, imply something platonic, or whether it's to make her as young as Dick to make it impossible to ever be something romantic between the two. Her relationship with Bruce is not so set in stone that you can't play around with it in different adaptations. I'd just prefer her to be a young adult as I think that'd make it easier to incorporate her into the story, but if Reeves finds a way with making her a teenager that's fine too. Also, even then if you make her a young adult that doesn't make it impossible for them to just be friends and allies, y'know.

I know TKJ left a bad taste on everyone's mouth but I'd argue the problem wasn't inherently the idea of there being something platonic, but how out of place it looked in that story. It wasn't a problem in LEGO Batman, or the Batman Beyond days were it was also implied, or in the Thrillkiller elseworld, or in that little scene from Arkham City where she was jealous of Talia. As long as you write it/reference it tastefully it's not a problem and you don't really lose anything on either character.

Last edited:
Reeves has to make bold choices because WB will definitely want an expansive franchise, not just Batman himself. Casting Robin and Batgirl young, while establishing them in Batman then setting out on their own will payoff for both WB and the GA.
I'd prefer that we have an established Robin and Batgirl.

she doesn't have to be young for a romance to not happen.

Maya Hawke does have the pedigree...her father being Ethan Hawke and her mother being Uma Thurman let's just say the business is in her blood and she is a pretty damn good actress in her own right hell she is already making it big on Netflix's Stranger Things but if she were cast as Barbara Gordon I honestly would be all for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"