Barbara Gordon Casting Thread

^ Depends on how closely they choose to adhere to the comics. I'd hope it's the former, though.

And idk about Anna Kendrick or Emma Stone as Batgirl, but I'd love to see Emma Watson. Seems like a perfect choice.

Jane Levy was my choice for Harley until Margot became an option. Remember those days Rodrigo! She's too old for Mary Jane at this point, so why not Barbara?

Jena Malone would have been great.

What a waste
I know, what the HELL was Snyder thinking? One scene? A random character?

Anna Kendrick is my second choice but my first choice still is Jane Levy
If anyone wants to see me struggle with staying in the theater during the next Batman movie, yeah, go ahead and cast friggin Anna Kendrick.

^ My thoughts exactly. She's...okay, but Batgirl? No thanks, I think she'd take me right out of the movie.

I could go for Jane Levy, too. A solid choice.

Would she still be Batgirl or would Joker have shot her and turned her into Oracle by now?
Oh man, now that's a hard choice... I like the Oracle part of Babs' history and I understand why it's important to many people, but I like her as Batgirl so much more... so yeah, personally speaking, I'd prefer to see Batgirl. In a world as advanced as the DCEU, I'm sure someone's already found a way to cure a damaged spinal cord.

But anyway, back to the topic... I agree that Emma Watson would be a damn fine choice, but I doubt she'd accept the role.

She was pretty good in Up in the Air.

I mentioned Katherine Waterston before. I bit older than the other actresses named here but I think it would make sense in the lived in world of DCEU Batman. A world where Robin has died (or "died") and where Joker and others have worn the Bat-Family down and Barbara is Oracle.

Jane Levy was my choice for Harley until Margot became an option. Remember those days Rodrigo! She's too old for Mary Jane at this point, so why not Barbara?

I remember those days like they were yesterday, my friend :D

And I'm definitely up for seeing Jane as Barbara.

Oh man, now that's a hard choice... I like the Oracle part of Babs' history and I understand why it's important to many people, but I like her as Batgirl so much more... so yeah, personally speaking, I'd prefer to see Batgirl. In a world as advanced as the DCEU, I'm sure someone's already found a way to cure a damaged spinal cord.

But anyway, back to the topic... I agree that Emma Watson would be a damn fine choice, but I doubt she'd accept the role.

I tend to think that a matured Babs, as a woman who's gone through growing into Oracle, is an inherently stronger and more interesting character than a Babs who is only ever Batgirl. This is probably a generational thing; I'm a 90's kid who grew up with Babs as Nightwing's peer as an adult Batfmaily member who mentored young heroes and commanded a powerful team, all while still being capable of beating a ninja unconscious from her wheelchair. And the New 52 did nothing to sell the concept of "Babsgirl" as being better than Oracle or the other Batgirls.

To me, Oracle is smarter and wiser, since she dominates the digital realm, deploys the Birds of Prey, and is always portrayed as a veteran vigilante. She's more badass, because she's still very dangerous in her boobytrapped lair and her escrima-stick carrying wheelchair while solving greater cases, taking on bigger villains, and calling down heavy-superhero-artillery on you with pinpoint precision. And she's far more interesting as a young woman who overcame a personal assault to become something greater than she was before, and I find her handicap to offer more varied storytelling than just making her an archetypal female sidekick.

Having said that, I understand the sheer power of iconography makes her a higher priority than the other Batgirls. So I say you should split the difference; Barbara Gordon was heavily injured by the Joker (preferably in combat, and not just to torture Gordon), though not truly paralyzed. The spinal cord was unbroken, while the bones and muscles were lacerated. She's been recovering for a few years and assisting Dick Grayson and others as Oracle, and is undergoing rehabilitation and dangerous surgery. Maybe she employs the Birds of Prey and Spoiler and Orphan, with the former being her main field agent in investigations and the latter doing double duty as her enforcer and physical therapist/trainer.

That way, Babs maintains her pride of place as an elite Batfamily member, gets to be a matured young woman, and those of us who think that other characters make better kid sidekicks get them as well.

Having said that, I understand the sheer power of iconography makes her a higher priority than the other Batgirls. So I say you should split the difference; Barbara Gordon was heavily injured by the Joker (preferably in combat, and not just to torture Gordon), though not truly paralyzed. The spinal cord was unbroken, while the bones and muscles were lacerated. She's been recovering for a few years and assisting Dick Grayson and others as Oracle, and is undergoing rehabilitation and dangerous surgery. Maybe she employs the Birds of Prey and Spoiler and Orphan, with the former being her main field agent in investigations and the latter doing double duty as her enforcer and physical therapist/trainer.

That way, Babs maintains her pride of place as an elite Batfamily member, gets to be a matured young woman, and those of us who think that other characters make better kid sidekicks get them as well.
That would be the perfect solution, in my opinion.

I already said last page that what I'd want to see in the DCEU is a more mature Barbara acting as a mentor to a younger girl, preferably Cassandra. Again, I like Oracle and I think the BoP days are an important part of her history that should not be erased; what I don't like is the idea of her forever being trapped in a wheelchair. Let's leave that kind of stuff to real life. :o

I can't say I agree with you on her New 52/Rebirth comics, though, as I've been enjoying this new era of the character very much.

Last edited:
I'd go with Oracle. I think Barbara is more interesting as Oracle than she is as Batgirl.

I mean, in the end it's not like I will complain if they decide to go the Oracle route; Stephanie and Cassandra are still pretty damn cool in their own way. I just really wish I could see Babs' Batgirl done right on the big screen at least once in my life. Barbara Pennysworth doesn't count. :o

^ Agreed. I want to see Oracle, but I want to see Barbara as Batgirl done right. She's such an amazing character and she deserves that much before we get to the Oracle stage.

I've only seen her play annoying snobby characters. That doesn't necessarily mean anything if she were to be cast but she doesn't scream Barbara.

I would really love to see oracle and nightwing both in Afflecks movie or one of the sequels. Definitely a great chance to see them on screen! Would be awesome to maybe be able to see a flashback of Barbara getting shot by the Joker ala Killing joke. Doesnt have to be actually implemented as part of the story, but maybe as like a flash back during a scene featuring barbara. similar things have happened in the comics!

I'd rather not have a flashback. Somehow I think it be better if we kept that stuff off screen.

Just have some dialogue there. Something like the "20 years in Gotham" line from BvS.

Have Barbra keep her Batgirl costume on display in her Oracle crib. It says far more about what she lost than any flashback (which I am not against but I think should be integral to the story, otherwise its clunky and would get cut).

I'd actually love to get a little flashback showcasing that. Even if it's something fast. If it's done right, it could work to perfect effect.

Or perhaps Mary Winstead, especially if they don't want Barb to be quite so young.
Mary-Elizabeth-Winstead-10-cloverfield-lane-copy.jpg

Nice choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"