Batman: Arkham City

Origins suffers from feeling like a less polished version of City. It was the only one not made by Rocksteady and it shows. That said it does do some interesting things environmentally and narratively; I would say overall it contains some of the best and the worst of the series.

City feels like 2/3 of a game. It clearly wasn't finished, and it hurts it's narrative greatly imo. Origins is my favorite. By a lot. Then Asylum.
Wasnt finished? It felt like a complete game to me. It was the length it needed to be

I also loved Origins and rank it below AC. I didnt have high expectations for it bc it was always panned but I came into it just before AK and loved it. Definitely underrated and not nearly as bad as people made it out to be

Wasnt finished? It felt like a complete game to me. It was the length it needed to be

I also loved Origins and rank it below AC. I didnt have high expectations for it bc it was always panned but I came into it just before AK and loved it. Definitely underrated and not nearly as bad as people made it out to be
The League and Hugo are barely explored. It's like they did all the side stuff, and then ran out of time with the main plot, which felt at best, half way through it's telling.

The League and Hugo are barely explored. It's like they did all the side stuff, and then ran out of time with the main plot, which felt at best, half way through it's telling.
It seemed more like set up for a sequel or DLC. I don’t think that stuff would have fit had they explored that more and would have killed the pacing which was done well. They legit could have done an entire game around the League

It seemed more like set up for a sequel or DLC. I don’t think that stuff would have fit had they explored that more and would have killed the pacing which was done well. They legit could have done an entire game around the League
That's ridiculous. It's the main plot of the game. The main plot of the game wasn't meant for a sequel or DLC. The game is built around it. Also, the game ain't long. It's artificially extended through open world collecting. But the main plot of the game? Can be done in 10-12 hours easy. That's not long, at all.

This is one of the reasons City hasn't gotten much love in retrospect. That opinion has come down on it, compared to the other games in the series. Even Batmoblie the Game. Because running around the shoehorn isn't much of a game play experience, as it's more side quest then main game.

Last edited:
Unbelievable that its already 10 years...still feels like yesterday when the first teaser for Asylum came out and changed the game for Comic book games.

So many great times with City...but i also remember how confused and dissapointed i was when the Story turned into this Joker vs Batman cure thing instead of fully focusing on the Arkham City Hugo Strange part.

Was so dissapointed when the story focus shifted and we got yet another Joker vs Batman and when the City plot turned Strange into a empty henchmen.
God, how excited i was back when that awesome CGI trailer came and Strange was Revealed.

Its probably unpopular opinion, but i like the main story of Origins the most of all the arkham games.
Asylum close in the second, city is the third and Knight the last sadly.

Knight had the most potential but then it turned again into focusing on Joker and Batman, with a disspointing Arkham Knight reveal.

Either way, i wouldnt want to go without the games because gameplay wise and visual you cant beat them...they are still so great to play and immerse yourself in.

I really miss the hype and all for a new Arkham game.
I still hope so much that the rumored WBM Batman game is true...we still need more Arkham gameplay games.

There is nothing close to this fight in Arkham Knight.

Unfortunately true. We didn’t get an epic Boss battle like this every again. Arkham Origins attempt tried with Deathstroke but that was more of a counter melee. And even the DLC fight with Mr. Freeze wasn’t nearly as good as the Arkham City duel. And based on the preview for Gotham Knights the Mr. Freeze battle looks even more underwhelming in comparison.

Unfortunately true. We didn’t get an epic Boss battle like this every again. Arkham Origins attempt tried with Deathstroke but that was more of a counter melee. And even the DLC fight with Mr. Freeze wasn’t nearly as good as the Arkham City duel. And based on the preview for Gotham Knights the Mr. Freeze battle looks even more underwhelming in comparison.

I'd take the Deathstroke encounter over anything in Arkham Knight, and I say that truthfully.

There is nothing close to this fight in Arkham Knight.

I mean i wouldnt want them to copy that kind of fight, what makes it so good is that its also so very unique...but there was no creativity in AKs boss encounters sadly.

I mean i wouldnt want them to copy that kind of fight, what makes it so good is that its also so very unique...but there was no creativity in AKs boss encounters sadly.

This is my point. Rocksteady's creativity basically peaked in Arkham City. Technology and graphics wise, yeah I mean they did some good stuff in Arkham Knight, but it was an underwhelming finale.

I remember buying a Noz energy drink for a code to unlock the Batman Beyond skin. Ahh memories...

I'm still disappointed though that Rocksteady didn't use the in-game engine for their cutscenes though. That way we could always see the skins in action. There was only like 3 or 4 actual cut scenes where you could see your skin in motion.

Last edited:
Out of all the games in the Arkhamverse series, this one is my favorite. Arkham City took everything thing that worked in Asylum and double it up to almost pure perfection.

City is the peak of the franchise. I truthfully prefer the graphical look and art style of City versus Knight. Knight looks beautiful, but I don't need that photoreal type visual style to have fun.

City took what Asylum gave us and improved on and it and gave us something better. We got a great sandbox, great combat, gadgets, better boss fights, more of the Batman rogues gallery. Plus a very deep psychological story with the returning Conroy and Hamill. So you had Paul Dini's writing, coupled with Conroy and Hamill's epic voice-acting, plus Rocksteady firing on all cylinders. They delivered.

I think the Batmobile in Arkham Knight is a case of be careful what you wish for.

God this game.
Back in the day i didnt expect a game to be able to beat Asylum, then they came out with this.
A game that evolved everything Asylum did 10 times and perfected something i thought was already perfect.

Im still to this day a bit sad how Hugo Strange was pushed aside for Joker, there are already so many good Batman/Joker stories out there so i was hoping for this to push Strange to be a A Level Villain.
So them going again with Batman vs Joker, was a bit dissapointing...but still, a incredible game with a absolutely great ending.

Im with @TheVileOne on the Visuals, as incredible as Knight looks...i prefer City on that.
The Visuals are more unique and feel more like Batman to me than a more Realistic look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"