Batman Begins vs X-Men: First Class

X-Men First Class is easily my favorite X-Men movie, and I feel like it's underrated. But Batman Begins is perhaps Nolan's most pure Batman movie. It really stand the test of time for me. Batman Begins all the way.

This one's closer than most versus threads, but BB still takes it. I like FC quite a bit but it's always felt overstuffed to me, and like nearly every X-film it has way too many characters that do almost nothing.

Begins because no matter how well they portrayed Xavier and Magneto, neither were my favorite X-Men and bringing in Mystique as his "sister" and most of the other forgettable mutants just didn't encapsulate what I felt the X-Men should be.

Hi I'm Raimi's Spider-Man.
Superman the Movie and
Iron Man come to mind.
All three are great superhero movies as well and maybe even better origin stories than First Class but the overall quality of that particular X-Men movie is superior in my book. Also all these choices remind me that it's been a while since we've seen an origin movie that isn't just average.

Hi I'm Raimi's Spider-Man.
Superman the Movie and
Iron Man come to mind.
All these three are great superhero movies as well and maybe even better origin stories than First Class but the overall quality of that particular X-Men movie is superior in my book. Also all these choices remind me that it's been a while since we saw an origin movie above average.

Yeah I'd personally put Spider-Man, Superman and Iron Man over the 2 in this thread. I'd also put Captain America as well.

First Class is, imo, the most overrated CBM... everybody talks about it like the second coming, but it was utter sh*te... so yeahh, BB hands down

I'm a die hard X-men fan and I give this one to Batman Begins. First Class is not my cup of tea.

What is people's problem with First Class?
I've told the story that the only reason I saw First Class in the theaters was the good reviews. I basically gave up on the X-Men series after The Last Stand and Origins.

I don't necessarily have an issue with First Class. It's probably one of the better X-Men movies with a good story. I can overlook the Mystique is Xavier's "sister" and the continuity issues like Emma Frost being used despite her being younger in Origins but, for me it felt like B-list X-Men on a budget.

Possibly my favourite X-Men movie but the Nolan Batman are possibly my favourite piece of cinema.

For me:
-Terrible acting outside of McAvoy & Fassbender (JLaw, Till, January Jones, and Kevin Bacon in particular are horrendous, imo)
-Horrid dialogue (Imma shoot myself if I ever hear the words "Mutant & Proud" again)
-Continuity headaches (character ages and connections mostly)
-Little stupid skips in logic, like Darwin being the one hero to die when his only power is literally the ability not to f**king die
-an X-Team and a Hellfire Club made up of B- thru D-listers, plus the Austin Powers style Hellfire Club does nothing for me

I could find more but it's just too early in the morning to get this worked up about a movie I hate... i'm shooting for positive vibes today, lol

I enjoy X-Men First Class quite a bit but Batman Begins still reigns supreme.

- Recreating the first scene of X1 cheapens it.
- Kevin Bacon was campy and not in a good way
- Shaw's plan was 2-Dimensional
- Emma Frost was wasted
- Darwin, the franchise's only black male mutant, was killed off early in the film
- The CIA stuff was boring
- Beast doesn't look very good

McAvoy and Fassbender were obviously great though.

Last edited:
- Darwin, the franchise's only black mutant, was killed off early in the film
She's not the figment of any person's imagination.

5827027-200.gif

And again, I think the bigger issue with Darwin was that they killed the guy who's only notable power is to NOT DIE
what was the point of him at all??

Show us how threatening the Firehouse Club is?

Superman the Movie and
Iron Man come to mind.
Superman the Movie and
Iron Man come to mind.

Indeed. As do Dr Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's a tough comparison XFC v BB because XFC is a team film and tries to cover a lot of characters while doing justice to the central Magneto/Xavier relationship that holds it all together.

XFC is probably the best X-fim IMO (other than Logan, but that's so depressing I can't bring myself to see it again). It's good Mathew Vaughn-esque fun, on a similar wavelength to the first Kingsman film.

Having said that, even though BB has a few ridiculous moments it is about as good as a Batman origin film is ever going to get and is a huge accomplishment, given the damage to the brand done by Batman and Robin.

It will always be remembered as the cbm which started the trend towards being grounded and (somewhat) realistic (if you can get past secret societies of anarchist ninjas). Yeah, it's up there in terms of superhero origin films. I feel that Iron Man is better, but BB is definitiely towards the top of the list.

Superman the Movie and
Iron Man come to mind.
Superman the Movie and
Iron Man come to mind.

Indeed. As do Dr Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's a tough comparison XFC v BB because XFC is a team film and tries to cover a lot of characters while doing justice to the central Magneto/Xavier relationship that holds it all together.

XFC is probably the best X-fim IMO (other than Logan, but that's so depressing I can't bring myself to see it again). It's good Mathew Vaughn-esque fun, on a similar wavelength to the first Kingsman film.

Having said that, even though BB has a few ridiculous moments it is about as good as a Batman origin film is ever going to get and is a huge accomplishment, given the damage to the brand done by Batman and Robin.

It will always be remembered as the cbm which started the trend towards being grounded and (somewhat) realistic (if you can get past secret societies of anarchist ninjas). Yeah, it's up there in terms of superhero origin films. I feel that Iron Man is better, but BB is definitiely towards the top of the list.

It didn't have to include so many characters, it could have done fewer better.

I think Batman Begins is really overrated. I still think it's a very good Batman film. It trounces First Class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"