BvS Batman or Superman: Which do you prefer?

Across 20 years and several hundreds (if not thousands) of stories? It's quite a small collection.
But I feel like the same could be said for any hero. No one (Batman included) has stand-out story after stand-out story. They have good stand-alone stories and some good runs. But there's also plenty of blah stuff in between. And that was DEFINITELY the case before the '80's too, imo. It's pointless to just dismiss entire eras because they've all had some good stories and some less than memorable ones, but especially when some of the absolute best stuff ever written about that character came from that era (which I realize is entirely subjective, of course).

Last edited:
Wow, not loving all the hate for post-'86 Superman stories I'm seeing 'round here! A world without All-Star Superman, Superman Birthright, Kingdom Come, Red Son, Action Comics #775, Superman Unchained, Grant Morrison's Action Comics run and Greg Pak's Action Comics run is no world for me!!

All the comics listed above were chronologically made in the post-crisis era but ones like All star is based on the bronze age superman, while red son and kingdom come (I prefer Action 775, as they're both quite similar in concept) are else-worlds and Grant morrison's action was based on the golden age superman.
Unchained is solid if unspectacular and I agree about Pak's run on Action (and some of his Batman/superman stuff).
Loeb and Kelley did some good stuff on their Superman and Action runs respectively, so there is also that.

But I feel like the same could be said for any hero. No one (Batman included) has stand-out story after stand-out story. They have good stand-alone stories and some good runs. But there's also plenty of blah stuff in between. And that was DEFINITELY the case before the '80's too, imo. It's pointless to just dismiss entire eras because they've all had some good stories and some less than memorable ones, but especially when some of the absolute best stuff ever written about that character came from that era (which I realize is entirely subjective, of course).

Like I said before I don't prefer one era to another because they all had their fair share of good and bad stories, what I do prefer about the bronze age is the depiction of superman himself.

There are so many great Superman comics.

One of the most underrated is Superman: for All Seasons

I agree with 'I am the knight' on this, SFAS is highly regarded amongst critics and fans alike.

I personally like it but don't love as much as other people do, it's a nice mini and is infact in continuity with John Byrne's the man of steel mini, however superman still had to go whining to lex luthor to help him save the city and I didn't really care for that. I mean I accept that Lex is smarter and can outsmart superman to a point but superman just felt like a tool in that issue (I think it was issue#3).

Oh before I go, you guys should check out some issues from 'superman adventures' because there are a few hidden gems in there, here are my recommendations:

Issues 11 and 12, what's interesting about this 2 parter is that the people of the world band together to save superman and not the other way around.
There is also a nice homage to the iconography of the S symbol.

Issue 18, this is an incredible issue and very reminiscent to the STAS episode 'The late Mr Kent' where Clark uses his journalistic skills to save alot of lives.

Issue 40, this is the single best issue focusing on krypto that I've ever read and it goes to great lengths to explain why the concept of a super-dog just wouldn't work (apart from the fact that it's a tad silly).

Apart, both are great characters. Compelling, exciting, heroic...but when Superman enters Batmans world, the Bat becomes obsolete.

I can feel the writers trying to alter reality (yes, reality) in order to allow Batman to exist in a Superman's world. The stories are alway bending over backwards to find some way to let Batman help out.

Batman is really the Robin of BvS... He can keep the broom handy to sweep up after Superman...:cwink

The Superhero cafe cuts pretty close to the bone.
Don't get me wrong, I love both characters, Superman holds a special place in my heart, but both are great.
How exactly is Batman made obsolete ? Alot of the time when they team up, and sometimes when they are alone and monologue in certain situations , they always concur that the other has strengths and weaknesses that play of each other. In Supermans case he commends Batman cunning and ruthlessness that he employs in the name of justice. Just because Superman can juggle asteroids and incinerate mountains doesn't mean Batmans obsessive planning and genious tactics are any less important. Not to mention in the new 52 when Superman uses his Super nova power he's rendered completely powerless for 24 hours. This means that for 24 hours he is the equivalent of canon fodder in a lot of situations in what Batman would call another night in Gotham.

Well I was speaking in generalities.
We don't want Batman to be obsolete. He is great fun.

Sure, there have been/ will be times when Superman cannot be in two places at once, or he is overwhelmed.

The point was that Superman, one on one is better...at everything...but it's nice to have friends to help take up the slack even though he "could" do their job too.:sly:

Sure, there have been/ will be times when Superman cannot be in two places at once, or he is overwhelmed.

The point was that Superman, one on one is better...at everything...but it's nice to have friends to help take up the slack even though he "could" do their job too.:sly:

Ohh I see :yay: and sure technically the kryptonian can do anything Batman could do "better" but Batman is human but can tangle w. Gods with out being powered by a yellow sun:woot:

Ohh I see :yay: and sure technically the kryptonian can do anything Batman could do "better" but Batman is human but can tangle w. Gods with out being powered by a yellow sun:woot:

Ok, I can do this two way...

1- if by Yellow sun you mean his illegitimate cour ward ly son Robin, no
( not very good but ...eh. Not so funny)

2- if you mean tangle, as in getting all tangled up by his Batergrapple line, than yes he can tangle...

Still not so good, but it's late and who's reading this anyway?

All in fun mate...I love them both. :cwink:

Ok, I can do this two way...

1- if by Yellow sun you mean his illegitimate cour ward ly son Robin, no
( not very good but ...eh. Not so funny)

2- if you mean tangle, as in getting all tangled up by his Batergrapple line, than yes he can tangle...

Still not so good, but it's late and who's reading this anyway?

All in fun mate...I love them both. :cwink:

:hmr::woot: lmaooooo of course bro.

Yeah, no. Especially not the last part. Superman is awesome and and, but he won't be able to handle every thing - certainly not all the rogues/villains of other characters.

Aquaman and WW - Both have some powerful magic based villains who can go toe to toe with Supes.

Same with GL - Sinestro Corps? Sinestro most likely. Other Corps too. Guardians too (although they will probably order the greens to do it).

Flash - Zoom can handle Supes.

Shazam - Black Adam.

Speaking of which....if there's anyone who can do everything, then it's Flash.

What chance does Superman have when even the fastest man on Earth can't solve everything?

As for Superman being better - I am sure Bruce got the smarts advantage over Clark: Knowledge of various topics - science, martial arts. Oh, don't forget, Bats is also a great detective.

batmansupermantitlecardcopy_zps9720f2b6.jpg~original

...i rest my case...

(open in new tab to read better)

Yeah, no. Especially not the last part. Superman is awesome and and, but he won't be able to handle every thing - certainly not all the rogues/villains of other characters.

Aquaman and WW - Both have some powerful magic based villains who can go toe to toe with Supes. Can he breath in outer space? WW, he will gladly go toe to toe...

Same with GL - Sinestro Corps? Sinestro most likely. Other Corps too. Guardians too (although they will probably order the greens to do it).
GL had trouble with a large hovering cloud of dirt...

Flash - Zoom can handle Supes. Fast aint strong...he still breaks.

Shazam - Black Adam. Shazam-not. Supes wins after a decent fight cuz he doesn't want to hurt the ten year old boy

Speaking of which....if there's anyone who can do everything, then it's Flash.

How does Flash do everything? Can he core a apple? He is a over-rated track runner. I don't see him turnin back time...

What chance does Superman have when even the fastest man on Earth can't solve everything?

As for Superman being better - I am sure Bruce got the smarts advantage over Clark: Knowledge of various topics - science, martial arts. Oh, don't forget, Bats is also a great detective.

Bruce is a drop-out! Kal-El has the knowledge of 11 known Galaxies and a brain that is 200,000 years more advanced than our cro-magnon brains here on Earth.

:sly::woot::cwink:

The only reason Superman ever has any trouble with any villain, is his morality, sense of fair play and belief that there is a force of good in all beings so he give them the benefit of the doubt like his daddy said and takes it easy on them...until they go too far... he always has the nuclear option...

Last edited:
for fun...

What did you say about my Mother???

output_G4dZFp_zpsrbdvgfaa.gif

"Do I bleed?.... Do you break?"

superman%20breaking%20batman%20copy_zpsgghhcgkz.jpg

Last edited:
Bruce is a drop-out! Kal-El has the knowledge of 11 known Galaxies and a brain that is 200,000 years more advanced than our cro-magnon brains here on Earth.

:sly::woot::cwink:

The only reason Superman ever has any trouble with any villain, is his morality, sense of fair play and belief that there is a force of good in all beings so he give them the benefit of the doubt like his daddy said and takes it easy on them...until they go too far... he always has the nuclear option...

Eh..not in DCEU.

And just because his brain is more advanced doesn't mean he's smarter.

Human brains are more advanced than chimpanzees's. Does that mean all humans are smarter than chimps?

Definitely not.

Anyways, they are both experts in different fields. Knowledge of one doesn't supersede the knowledge of other.

There is some truth to the last part, but I disagree. Even if he didn't have that, he would have trouble with a lot of the villains (of other characters), because of how powerful they are.

His sense of morality, for instance doesn't erase his weakness to magic. It wouldn't stop Zoom for completely messing up Supes's life (If Zoom wanted to, he can go back and kill both Kents, before Kal's space pod even arrives on Earth).

Superman isn't superior to everyone. Sure he has his strengths. But there are a lot of characters with even more.

Eh..not in DCEU.

And just because his brain is more advanced doesn't mean he's smarter.

Human brains are more advanced than chimpanzees's. Does that mean all humans are smarter than chimps?

Definitely not. ...You're not talking about Democrats, are you?

Anyways, they are both experts in different fields. Knowledge of one doesn't supersede the knowledge of other. Well, I suppose knowledge/personal experience of human nature gives the Bat an edge...at first... Takes one to know one and all that

There is some truth to the last part, but I disagree. Even if he didn't have that, he would have trouble with a lot of the villains (of other characters), because of how powerful they are. Trouble, sure, but that roach I stepped on was trouble...getting off my shoe... ( not you Roach...:woot:)

His sense of morality, for instance doesn't erase his weakness to magic. It wouldn't stop Zoom for completely messing up Supes's life (If Zoom wanted to, he can go back and kill both Kents, before Kal's space pod even arrives on Earth). Say hello to Clark Rosencrantz...AKA SUPERMAN

Superman isn't superior to everyone. Sure he has his strengths. But there are a lot of characters with even more.

...I don't know...still top dog after 75 years !

:cwink: All in fun pal...

superman%20and%20thors%20hammer%20copy_zpske4fewrg.jpg

...I don't know...still top dog after 75 years !

:cwink: All in fun pal...

superman%20and%20thors%20hammer%20copy_zpske4fewrg.jpg

Aquaman is better ;) :D

Seriously though...the villains of other characters are no joke ;) Just wanted to make that clear.

Well, Clark is Clark because he was adopted by Kents (what if he was adopted by some other parents - less benevolent? More abusive? He would end up differently.

Zoom could make sure that baby Supes ends up in the hands of the Gov (which would also change a lot of things).

Last edited:
I hear ya.

I do hope they take the villains " seriously" and make sure there are no easy way outs or plot holes.

I have great hopes and look forward to many exciting DC adventures!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"