Batman OYL discussion thread

The Joker is definitely still alive. If he were trult dead, they would have made sure we knew it.
A 'new' Joker will appear in the fifth issue. Could be a pretender to the throne or the old version with a new personality.
Bruce getting more familiar with the playboy persona is just Morrison's vehicle to introduce lighter fare and humor, something he said he would do.

DETECTIVE COMICS #822

PLOT:
When Karrie Bishop, a woman that Bruce Wayne saw her last, is murdered. Her case ends up being sloved by a seemly-reformed Riddler. Not even trusting the man who still may or may not his secret behind the mask, Batman decides to solve the murder case even if Riddler tends to stay around.

REVIEW:
Paul Dini must like doing the Batman books as Roxy Rocket, a character he and Timm created for the show, makes her first comic book appearence. While only a cameo appearence, and her looking as the same as the show, her appearence alone gives her the opening for the future in the books.

But on the book itself, it was another good mystery story. I can't but see it as a BTAS episode, of course with some adult elements since this is a comic book (for example: BDSM scene). Dini likes to gives us a detective story and have us, the audience, find out when Batman has pieced everything together. Some people may want a story where we find out everything before Batman does but this is better. This is written nicely.

The Riddler comes here so its not a new villian. It seems that what happened that got him into a coma a year ago has made him forget Bruce is Batman that was told in Batman: Hush. I should also point out that his green mask has been replaced with just sunglasses like I saw him wear in Alex Ross' Justice. I don't know if that was an idea they threw in or its what Riddler will look like until the next change. Either way, I like what he looks like better.

I don't know but it seems Riddler had made alot of "friends" in the BDSM private club as he said he met his henchgirls there. Yes, maybe in THAT way. Batman knows the headmistress by the name Pandora. But no, not in THAT way though.

Overall, as I said above, this was a good mystery storyline by Dini on Batman. Dini said these issues will lead up to something. I wonder what it is.

RATING: 9/10

hippie_hunter said:
War Games: Batman takes over the GCPD, ignores Oracle, willing to throw away his life, came up with a plan to take over every gang in Gotham City

No Man's Land: temporarily abandons Gotham, takes away the mantle of Batgirl from the Huntress after she failed in a mission that was impossible to succeed, refused help from other superheroes

Officer Down: acted like a little whiney b***h after Gordon got shot, left most of the work to his sidekicks

War Drums: fired Stephanie Brown for only trying to help him

Under the Hood: treated Zatanna with extreme disrespect

Nightwing: Year One: fired Dick Grayson for his work in the Titans

JLA: Tower of Babel: came up with contingency plans to defeat the members of the JLA and other superheroes

Outsiders: Wanted: funded the Outsiders secretly without telling Nightwing

the Flash: The Secret of Barry Allen: pinned the Flash against the wall telling him that if he doesn't handle his rogues, he will

Green Lantern: Rebirth: hated Hal Jordan

the OMAC Project: came up with the Brother Mk. I satelite system, treated Booster Gold with disrespect, rejected Wonder Woman's friendship after she saved his life and killed Max Lord when she had no choice

Infinite Crisis: tells Superman that he is no longer inspiring
TO be honest the only one I thought he stepped over the line in was war game I have no problem with him in any of the others. If this is being a *****e and a jerk to you than I prefer him that way. I will agree he went to far in War games

So, is it just me or does it appear that Jim Gordon knows Bruce Wayne is Batman? They seemed to have the same raport as Gordon and Bats do when Grodon was talking with Bruce in Wayne manor and then when Riddler and Bats were in the Batmobile, Gordon had no problem with both of them working together, which I took to mean that he understood that since Riddler had already brought Bruce into the case by showing up at his manor that they would be natural allies on this case. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's how it seems to me. Anyone else see it that way?

Maybe. Nothing solid though. IF he does, that would be good would it?

sinewave said:
So, is it just me or does it appear that Jim Gordon knows Bruce Wayne is Batman? They seemed to have the same raport as Gordon and Bats do when Grodon was talking with Bruce in Wayne manor and then when Riddler and Bats were in the Batmobile, Gordon had no problem with both of them working together, which I took to mean that he understood that since Riddler had already brought Bruce into the case by showing up at his manor that they would be natural allies on this case. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's how it seems to me. Anyone else see it that way?

Its always been gestured at that he knows.

Darthphere said:
Its always been gestured at that he knows.

yeah, but this time just seemed like it was more obvious. i don't see how he wouldn't know after working with him for so long and with gordon being a pretty damn good detective in his own right.

So the Riddler had been in a coma for a year. I wonder what happened? Was he injured when he participated in the Society's attack on the Six? Or was it the result of something else? Batman seem assured that the Riddler forgot all knowledge of Bruce's secret ID. But how can he be sure? And how many people did Eddie tell when he did know?

Fledermaus said:
So the Riddler had been in a coma for a year. I wonder what happened? Was he injured when he participated in the Society's attack on the Six? Or was it the result of something else? Batman seem assured that the Riddler forgot all knowledge of Bruce's secret ID. But how can he be sure? And how many people did Eddie tell when he did know?

Plus, what made him switch back from that androgynous look he was sporting last year? Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

BTW, probably in keeping witht he fact that Gotham is based on NYC, Pandora's Box is ana ctual BDSM place in NYC.

Detective Comics #822Paul Dini is rocking this title. Another stand alone issue (remember Dini says they might not be as stand alone as you think) involving the murder of Bruce Wayne's "friend" and The Riddler, now refromed comes to his aid. Twists and turns abound, its great that we get to see Batman live up to the Worlds Greatest Detective title. Kramer's art was at his best but I think we can all agree that JHWIII is missed. Wont compare to Morrison's Batman since they both have different agendas but its great to see a beginning, middle and end in one issue, stand alones rock. 10/10

TheCorpulent1 said:
I think if Batman came out, it'd split people in three camps:

1. "Um, yeah. What, you couldn't tell already?"
2. "What the ****?! HELL NO!!! BURN DC TO THE GROUND!!!!111 one one"
3. "That is ****ing hilarious. I'm buying every Batman comic DC can turn out now."

I'd be in camp #3, myself, anxiously awaiting the hilarity of camp #2's reaction to the first gratuitous sex scene between Bruce and Jason. :D

*head explodes into mass of pudding*

Good grief, hasn't this ground been covered already regarding Bruce? Or is this a OYL change. I thought Morrison wanted a return of the 'hairy chested love god?'

Of course, unless that means the "hairy chest" is for EVERYONE. But I won't go there.

As far as the gratuituous sex scene with Jason, make it on a rooftop. With the Riddler watching and slobbering. Tim joins in to make a sandwich, and Dick relives old times. :down

And let's not forget Clark! Poor thing, he's struggling with no powers and needs comfort. ;)

Sweet Zombie Jesus that was a good read. Batman in Detective -- being a Detective! BDSM! And a nice Hush retcon with the Riddler.

what did everyone think of the second issue of grant morrison's arc? i loved it. it was well written with good action and humor. i loved the idea of batman fighting all those ninja man-bats in an art gallery with visual cues from the comic book/pop-art, like "look, up in the sky" when the man-bats were decending on the crowd. did anyone catch that not-so-subtle dig at the "hush" story-line? i'm not sure which page number it was, but there's a comment in a thought-balloon by batman where he's taking about art without content right as he's striking the same pose as he did on the cover of the first issue of the "hush" run. pretty clever. great issue. i can't wait for the rest of his run.

so, i guess
bruce's kid isn't name ibn afterall.

I enjoyed the hell out of this issue. The Prime Minister's wife being taken by the League of Assassins, Batman meeting his alleged son, seeing the thought bubbles in the art pieces kinda interpreting the scene (from what I saw), "As plans go, I've come up with better" (loved that line), an army of ninja man-bats...What more could make this run awesome? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"