BvS Batman Physique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless we get some paparazzi pictures of Affleck leaving the gym or something. I'd like an update on what kind of shape he's in at this stage.

Anyone know what kind of training he's doing?
There was just one article claiming that he began training 2 hours a day the day he was cast. And the only other info available is that he won't be training with Gym Jones but his The Town trainer.

Of course cavil got quite strong during filming but I think athletes depending on the sport generally have a strength advantage over those who just lift in the gym.

Someone who plays rugby is using many different muscle groups simultaneously often. Generally someone who just lifts is really only used to focusing on one or 2 sets of muscle groups at a time. A rugby player would likely have much more functional strength overall.

This is just my theory btw.
Certainly. Compound movement is the best for functional strength rather than isolation. Gym Jones focus on both, they make the actor stronger as well as well as focus on aesthetics to make the maximum visual impact on audiences. Though Cavill should next time maybe not challenge professional rugby players to push-up contests. :yay:

Muscle and Fitness have put together a list which they call

Superbodies: The 10 Fittest Comic Heroes, M&F salutes the 10 buffest, most badass comic book superheroes

From the very early days of the sport, bodybuilders have been inspired by comic books. Bodybuilders, in turn, went on to inspire a generation of comic book artists. Now, in the era
 of the comic book movie, the actors who portray superheroes have inspired gym rats and future bodybuilders around the globe. 
In honor of this powerful, self-perpetuating circle of motivation, we rank the top 10 superheroes who got the big-screen treatment from actors who trained their asses off. The criteria to make this list was simple: The character in question had to be a hero whose original source material was a comic book, and the actor portraying the character had to show an exemplary physique onscreen. To nip some FAQs in the bud before they sprout up: Since Conan the Barbarian’ssource material was a novel, Arnold’s portrayal of that character is ineligible. Likewise, Arnold’s turn as Mr. Freeze in Batman and Robin is also out, as this list honors heroes, not villains.

Here's the list
10.[BLACKOUT]Ryan Reynolds, Green Lantern [/BLACKOUT]
9. [BLACKOUT]Chris Evans, Captain America[/BLACKOUT]
8. [BLACKOUT]Thomas Jane, The Punisher & Dolph Lundgren, The Punisher [/BLACKOUT]
7. [BLACKOUT]Sylvester Stallone, Judge Dredd [/BLACKOUT]
6. [BLACKOUT]Michael Jai White, Spawn [/BLACKOUT]
5. [BLACKOUT]Wesley Snipes, Blade[/BLACKOUT]
4. [BLACKOUT]Christian Bale, Batman[/BLACKOUT]
3. [BLACKOUT]Chris Hemsworth, Thor[/BLACKOUT]
2. [BLACKOUT]Henry Cavill, Superman[/BLACKOUT]
1. [BLACKOUT]Hugh Jackman, Wolverine[/BLACKOUT]

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/new...ebrities/superbodies-10-fittest-comic-heroes/
--------------------------------------------------------------
Take this list with a giant grain of salt though, as it was published as part of a promo for [BLACKOUT]The Wolverine[/BLACKOUT]. So its actually no surprise that they ranked [BLACKOUT]Hugh Jackman[/BLACKOUT] as No. 1. But still I thouhgt I'd post it here as its a cool feature they did along with other articles about [BLACKOUT]Hugh Jackman[/BLACKOUT]'s workout.

^ OK let me be the first.......Where's Christopher Reeve?

and although not gym huge(due mostly to the character portrayed) Tobey Maguire deserves consideration.

Re. Batman's physique..... think decathlete.

Last edited:
^ OK let me be the first.......Where's Christopher Reeve?

and although not gym huge(due mostly to the character portrayed) Tobey Maguire deserves consideration.

Re. Batman's physique..... think decathlete.

Agreed on Christopher Reeves. Even Andrew Garfield- who got down to a very low body fat % and was extremely toned. But Snipes? Michael Jai White? Ryan Reynolds? I don't think the list gives much consideration to context or character appropriateness, just who looked most "impressive"(?)

Wtf Christopher Reeve and Tobey were tiny what are you guys talking about?

Attachments

• still-of-richard-pryor-and-christopher-reeve-in-superman-iii.jpg
    still-of-richard-pryor-and-christopher-reeve-in-superman-iii.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 2002-Rami-Maguire-Spider-man-movie-Peter-Parker-Tobey-Maguire-hot-sexy-topless-body.jpg
    2002-Rami-Maguire-Spider-man-movie-Peter-Parker-Tobey-Maguire-hot-sexy-topless-body.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 64
Neither of them compare to the guys on the list at all

Neither of them compare to the guys on the list at all

"The character in question had to be a hero whose original source material was a comic book, and the actor portraying the character had to show an exemplary physique onscreen."

Thems the rules.....given that he's playing SpiderMan and not Thor.....why wouldn't Maguire's onscreen physique meet the requirement?

And as to Reeve.... you are flat out wrong.

Christopher Reeve's Superman was a great performance, not a great physique. Henry Cavill is in a different universe compared to Reeve.

But maybe I would make a place for him on the list, as I haven't seen choices 5 to 8.

Like I said, take this list with a grain of salt.

Also McGuire while serving the character is not an example of "exemplary physique onscreen". No guy is gonna watch Spiderman and say that is my goal, I want to look like that. But lots of guys have one of the actors above as their physical goal.

That list is looking at things from a modern context of physical standards. Reeve had a great natural base and got to a look that worked for the time but now he'd be expected be showing a good deal more definition and that costume wasn't the best for flattery either.

I've said it before but if reeve had the modern training that cavill received he would have looked like a beast.

As for Toby, from where his natural built sits you can argue his transformation was one of the more impressive ones but just on aesthetics I can see how his physique didn't surpass the guys on the list there.

"The character in question had to be a hero whose original source material was a comic book, and the actor portraying the character had to show an exemplary physique onscreen."

Thems the rules.....given that he's playing SpiderMan and not Thor.....why wouldn't Maguire's onscreen physique meet the requirement?

And as to Reeve.... you are flat out wrong.

Please take a moment and look at the physiques of the guys on the list, they are way way more muscular. It's a list of the most buff superheroes. Christopher Reeve wouldn't ever make the cut.

Last edited:
That list is looking at things from a modern context of physical standards. Reeve had a great natural base and got to a look that worked for the time but now he'd be expected be showing a good deal more definition and that costume wasn't the best for flattery either.

I've said it before but if reeve had the modern training that cavill received he would have looked like a beast.

As for Toby, from where his natural built sits you can argue his transformation was one of the more impressive ones but just on aesthetics I can see how his physique didn't surpass the guys on the list there.

That... no muscle suit with bulging veins.......and we never got a scene with a shirtless Reeve to compare, but by Superman III Reeve was impressive.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 58
  • superman3tradingcards.jpg
    superman3tradingcards.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 61
  • tumblr_ldgmdxSosw1qzexpio1_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_ldgmdxSosw1qzexpio1_r1_500.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 57
Reeve was always continually building up his body throughout his 1st 3 at least superman films, however he's most famous to the public for the 1st 2 supermans which were filmed back to back and where he was still in the process of getting bigger throughout filming. So there are scenes where he looks smaller and ones where he looks bigger mixed in I believe.

Reeve got to about 219 pounds I believe by the end of superman 2 from under 190 lbs starting. Under a modern Gym Jones like program I could imagine him getting to at least 230 lbs. Keeping in mind that cavill himself was never over 200 for MoS. Reeve is at least 3 inches taller than cavill however.

He looked best in Superman 3. It's a shame that movie wasn't better, I think the villain was originally going to be Brainiac

That... no muscle suit with bulging veins.......and we never got a scene with a shirtless Reeve to compare, but by Superman III Reeve was impressive.
I don't think king Reeve was quite as big as Cavill.. have you seen Cavill shirtless to compare both?

Yeah there's no comparison, Cavill was a monster in MOS

Personally I much like Cavill's physique for Superman above any of the other actors on that list, though I admit Jackman has been insanely dedicated to his physique for Wolverine and appreciate each one of them.

While Jackman's physique is incredible (my ideal body) and its's obvious how serious and dedicated he is to his character, his body doesn't suit Wolverine at all.

I've always seen Wolverine as having this shorter, stocky but very powerful, savage, animalistic physique.

2936050-wolverine18.jpg

1010234-aaa2.jpg

1003751-wolverine205.jpg

2936052-wolverine_juggernaut.jpg

WOLVIE_SNOW_by_garang76.jpg

Jackman's physique is more tall, heroic, and aesthetic. His body would be PERFECTION for Batman or Captain America.

So for that reason, Cavill's "Superman" physique beats out Jackman's "Wolverine" physique.

That last picture is awesome.
I love Hugh Jackman's Wolverine, but I really hope one day we can get a new X-Men universe incorporated into the MCU

Cavill's suit was not a muscle suit, it was a cast of his body and he filled out the suit. Snyder said he purposefully added a shirtless scene with Cavill to show the audience that the suit was not a fabrication and that Cavill's physique was actually like that.

Cavill's suit was not a muscle suit, it was a cast of his body and he filled out the suit. Snyder said he purposefully added a shirtless scene with Cavill to show the audience that the suit was not a fabrication and that Cavill's physique was actually like that.

True but his biceps were bigger in the suit meaning whatever was under there added aesthetic wise.

Any increase in the size of his biceps might have been minor and mainly due to the thickness of the suit material. I think the suit is more or less an exact representation of how his body looks without the suit, which is basically what is done in the comics.

The only padding Cavill was wearing were the thin latex muscle pads to make sure definition was visible.

All up there were three layers of suits to all Kryptonian costumes - The underlayer, the muscle/definition suit, and the actual costume.

Whatever size was added as a result of that process was fairly incidental.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back