Batman Physique Thread

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by LordofhouseEl, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slumcat

slumcat Well-Known Member

Why do people think Cavill skipped leg day? He trained his legs a ton. Out of all his workouts, he always spoke about squats, the many plans on various websites all hit the leg hard and even the promos from Gym Jones and WB all show Cavill squatting a lot. He clearly hit his legs hard. Below are just some of the many images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is better quality of the image above. You can Cavill's quad is well developed and sculpted.

[​IMG]

2. slumcat

There is also the simple fact that actors quads are not displayed on screen. In a rare film like 300 or Conan are the quads on screen. So a lot of people in Hollywood skip legs because they don't have to show the legs on screen (Pitt had a leg double for Troy).

That's not to say Cavill skipped legs too. Gym Jones believe in functional training and they beasted Cavill with leg work as it is beneficial if you want to get big and make your body grow.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. ArmsHeldOut

ArmsHeldOut Peaky Blinder

@Slumcat, :up:

4. John-An

John-An Wonder Fingers!

:bow:

5. slumcat

Superman beaten by a rugby player in pushup contest!

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/11244/superman-finds-hes-outmuscled-by-tom-croft/
    This dude beat Superman!
    [​IMG]

6. Bonesrot

Bonesrot Member

7. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

99% of actors train (when they have to) for aesthetics and not really to build up any real strength.

I wonder if the whole playing superman thing has gotten to cavil's head a bit much? probably brought him back down to earth haha.

8. gohei_

gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

Yep, just cuz you have a nice physique and a lot of muscle mass doesn't mean that you have the performance to back it up.
    I wonder though if he just did it for fun and didn't really think he was gonna win, he seems like the kinda guy who would do that.

9. DKDetective

DKDetective Problem Eliminator

Well, to be fair, Gym Jones does focus on functional training. Cavill's program probably made him feel really fit and athletic. And while still in good shape, October 2013 Cavill is nowhere near the same physical specimen he was during filming of MOS two years ago.

Also, to be fair to him, the story involves partying after the game and a good bit of drinking... I think it was the alcohol if anything that went to his head. It was also probably a good natured challenge, not really born of ego.

10. slumcat

I know this is the Batman physique thread but I think it can be used as a general purpose Batman vs Superman physique thread.

And no shirtless pic of Affleck is dropping soon. Cavill's shirtless pics dropped 3-4 months into the shooting and that too because his shirtless scenes were outdoors. At best that means people won't see Affleck's Batman shape till about maybe May-June next year.

11. slumcat

Genetics are still important. Actors already have good body genes, handsome looks, good skin, body shape etc. so their body genes are good. And of course the training absolutely has to be put in, nothing happens by magic. They just have the motivation of millions of dollars in payday.

Even so, some actors get better results than others.

12. slumcat

I think it might have been just a lot of lad ribbing. There's some sort of a video after the pushup contest it seems.

http://henrycavill.org/en/blog/photo-shoots/item/787-henry-cavill-in-jersey

It is all in pretty good spirit, nothing egoistical.

13. slumcat

Of course they do it all for aesthetics, because they have to look like the character but not be the character. :woot:

But of course they are very strong too, anybody would get strong after that much training. So it's not fair to say that Cavill has no real strength and his physique is just for showing off. He might have lost by just 2-3 pushups. And of course actors cannot compete with professional athletes who have all trained basically their entire lives.

14. slumcat

I actually think that Cavill might have had more energy during the rugby club visit than while filming his scenes for MOS. Cavill said that while bulking he was at 5000 calories and while he didn't look great, he felt very strong. But while filming the shirtless scenes, he was down to 1500 calories to show all his muscle definition, he was looking awesome but feeling energy deprived. And he was bulking during that rugby club visit.

Even Hugh Jackman said that during the Shingen fight scene in The Wolverine where he looks shredded like all hell, he was feeling almost faint because he had very little energy.

15. Bonesrot

Bonesrot Member

Unless we get some paparazzi pictures of Affleck leaving the gym or something. I'd like an update on what kind of shape he's in at this stage.

Anyone know what kind of training he's doing?

16. HUMANIMAL

HUMANIMAL ...

17. Bruce Malone

Of course cavil got quite strong during filming but I think athletes depending on the sport generally have a strength advantage over those who just lift in the gym.

Someone who plays rugby is using many different muscle groups simultaneously often. Generally someone who just lifts is really only used to focusing on one or 2 sets of muscle groups at a time. A rugby player would likely have much more functional strength overall.

This is just my theory btw.

18. HUMANIMAL

HUMANIMAL ...

athletes also train for a much longer period then actors...its mostly their whole life

19. Dk1201

Dk1201 Well-Known Member

Ben looks good :D

20. D.P.

D.P. Well-Known Member

21. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

22. LordofhouseEl

LordofhouseEl Well-Known Member

23. Bruce Malone

Chicken legs is not the term really. His legs are a bit disproportionate to his upper body but that's likely the result of his genetics rather than neglecting them like some gym goers do.

Legs are some of the hardest muscles to build up if you don't have a good genetic disposition to size there.

24. ArmsHeldOut

ArmsHeldOut Peaky Blinder

Yeah, I know. Like I stated above, Cavill's legs are partly covered by loose clothing in the majority of those set photos.

In this rare image from the bunch, however, where his left thigh is a little less covered, you can see that the actor's quads are actually quite large and well-sculpted. His calves aren't huge, but they're much bigger than his forearms; so the leg to arm ratio is fine.

Note: Slumcat elaborated on this in an earlier post on the same page.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  25. Coca Cola Duracell Franklin.

Coca Cola Duracell Franklin. Well-Known Member

It's very rare to see a person with massive calves, even in the bodybuilding world. Arnold Schwarzenegger, widely regarded as still being the gold standard, didn't have calves as big as some of the fat people I see walking around.

[​IMG]

Henry looked just fine. Anyway, Ben Affleck will need to put on a decent 15 pounds of muscle from his days in The Town to compare favorably to Cavill, who looked terrific in Man of Steel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.