Batman TPBs to stay away from

i'm not sure which one i have (it was a gift, i read it and put it away long ago) but it was crap. something about gotham being the gate way to hell or some such.
Yes that's the one drawn by Klaus Jansen avoid it always, I like Batman dealing with the supernatural but only if handled by a capable artist like Berni Wrightson who is known for mostly horror.

I'll probably be flamed until I'm a charred corpse for even suggesting this one, but I was extremely unimpressed with "Batman: Year One." All I ever heard about was how amazing it was. I ordered a hardback version of it from my local comic shop about a year ago and was taken aback by how mediocre it was. It's not terrible or anything, so maybe I shouldn't be suggesting it here for the "stay away from this one" list - but perhaps I should say: "go in with low expectations and you won't feel cheated."

Eh.

I'll probably be flamed until I'm a charred corpse for even suggesting this one, but I was extremely unimpressed with "Batman: Year One." All I ever heard about was how amazing it was. I ordered a hardback version of it from my local comic shop about a year ago and was taken aback by how mediocre it was. It's not terrible or anything, so maybe I shouldn't be suggesting it here for the "stay away from this one" list - but perhaps I should say: "go in with low expectations and you won't feel cheated."

Eh.

That's your opinion man, and I respect the fact that you put it out there. 'Year One' is not my fav by any means but I did enjoy it. But I'd invest in some burn cream quickly before a lot of the other posters read your thoughts on it.

Eh.

Personally, Year One is one of my favorite Batman stories (to me it's almost flawless), but you expressed your opinion in a respectable manner so it's no big deal. I'll save the kerosene for someone else.

Eh.
I actually agree.

They hyped this one to death just before Batman Begins came out....so I bought it. It was ok but not nearly the life altering experience the hype would have you believe...

i really liked year one, but it's not without it's flaws (way too much gordon, not enough batman) it's deffinately deservies at least 3 1/2 out of 5 though

Well I think Year one is a perfect story. I had to stick up for it.

Well I think Year one is a perfect story. I had to stick up for it.

I'll defend it too. I think BB overhyped Year One, so people were expecting a life-changing classic. In truth, it's a short but solid comic. The best stories are not always year-long epics (publication wise).

Sure Gordon appeared more than he should've. Year One had its flaws. But hey, at least Miller toned down the overused talking heads from DKR. That was a welcome fix.

And David Mazzuchelli--need I say more?

^ extremely underwhelming first go, i cursed myself for buying it but i have to say it is slowly growing on me. the art is irresistable. i just wish the ending was clear....i HATE not knowing who Batman is! but yeah i guess that's kinda the point. wish it had a few old rogues in it too. seems a wasted opportunity to create another future and not throw in some cameo treats

just picked up "...Strikes Again", so now I'm feelin' pretty gloomy.
Batman: Secrets I really liked, as generally I like Sam Keith's stuff, but Batman/Lobo was absolutely terrible. As was Gotham County Line, which has ab****ely NO redeeming qualities whatsoever. It actually amazed me in it's crappyness as I really thought comics had got past the possibility of being so bad a such a high level.

I was also a little underwhelmed by Year One, I think partly due to the copy I had being filled with sketches and extra stuff at the end,SPOILER!!! JUST INCASE YOU'VE NOT READ YEAR ONE so when it hits the end that matches with BB I was really looking forward to getting a joker arc in there, when all I got was a ****-load of pages of sketches and scripts n stuff.

Strikes again, after you read it you feel like...really? really miller? you came up with this? really?

but i did like how they kicked supermans ass again. Kryptonite gauntlets and flash with kryptonite napalm

Originally Posted by CaptainClown
The Dark Knight Strikes Again

And DKR. Stay away from that. For my money YO was the better Miller book and also, if your suggesting things for people to read, theres a lot more stories out there that are under the radar and are better, like EGO for example.

And DKR. Stay away from that.

What didn't you like about DKR?

I mean the Joker gets to kill Dr Ruth Westenheimer. What more do you want? :oldrazz:

"Zex und zex und ZEX!"

And DKR. Stay away from that. For my money YO was the better Miller book and also, if your suggesting things for people to read, theres a lot more stories out there that are under the radar and are better, like EGO for example.

I actually like DKR pretty good, although the Sons of the Batman always kind of bothered me a tiny bit. But considering it's just a possible future, it doesn't detract enough to make me view the book negatively.

I liked DKR, took me a little time then I really loved it. Especially Joker twisting his own neck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"