Battle Angel

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by matrix_ghost, Mar 11, 2008.

1. matrix_ghost movie fan

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2008/03/james-camerons-3d-battle-angel-update.html

1. Straight from source #1: "During 2004-2005 the entire second floor of the Lightstorm building was dedicated to the Battle Angel art department, which was "massive". The entire ceiling above the workspace was modeled to resemble the hanging sky city from the manga so that the artists could "live in" the world they were creating. Pretty cool, huh?"
    YES. DAMN cool.

2. Source #2: Cameron already has his Battle Angel! Yes, you read correctly! It is a done deal apparently - her name is all over the scripts. She is a nobody right now, but look for her to use this movie like Arnie used Terminator to catapult herself to super stardom.
    Believe me, I am working on a name! Only a matter of time...

3. Source #1: Cameron threw away Laeta Kalogridis' script and is cowriting with someone else (ghostwriter/story editor). The interesting thing about this news, to me, is that Cameron is basically writing the script himself (with some assistance), as opposed to having someone else (Laeta) write it for him. Good news, in my opinion. Laeta's name will still appear in the credits in some form for legal reasons, however.
    AWESOME. A Cameron written film demands attention to be sure.

4. Source #1: "As for the script itself, Cameron is basically condensing the first 3 graphic anime books into the first movie, "but that can still change". Oh, the original Battle Angel script was "drivel"-- plagued by length and pacing issues which persisted despite multiple drafts.
    We all hope that all those scripts troubles are well behind Mr. Cameron now!

5. Source #2: Cameron is definitely working on the Battle Angel script during the little downtime he gets on the "Avatar" post production and call backs.
    Here Cameron is, doing a $250m (my estimate) sci-fi perf-cap 3D "Avatar" that he has been percolating for a decade and all the logistics of getting it done - oh and inventing/tweaking the damn 3D equipment to shoot it and the editing / effects to bring it all together with darn near 2 years of post production - and he has time to tackle "Battle Angel"? I mean even a little bit? Obviously his work is not work to him - it's a passion and who can blame him for that. All I know is, as a fan of everything he has done - don't stop! Can't wait to see them Jim. Both of 'em.

6. Source #3: **SPOILER ALERT** - Probably the biggest, most expensive and memorable scene in "Battle Angel" -
    The Act 2 /Act 3 break is amazing. Battle Angel is on top of a roof with the ENTIRE city being overlooked - sweeping 3D vistas! She is being chased so she jumps off of the roof and plays toad on each car on the way down - the cars are flying! There are explosions, bullets flying and cars exploding all while people are driving. My source says most of the budget for the movie has gotta be blown right here on this sequence!! It is going to demand the best that the crews can deliver to get this right and Cameron is Mr. Perfectionist so I am drooling already.

2. matrix_ghost movie fan

Hmm seems Cameron is still sticking with his original plan . There was an AICN interview with Cameron . This was in the early stages of Avatar's development. According to Cameron , he wanted to begin some early tests/pre-prodoction work during post of Avatar. However he did also say that if Avatar would demand more attention , he'd focus on that first. THe COMIC-CON interview certainly suggest that ( the mother giving birth interview) but hopefully if this rumor is true , it'll be interesting to see Cameron doing these tests.

I always felt that BAttle Angel would be much harder to pull since it really is a CG human.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/

#2 matrix_ghost, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  3. dark_b Registered

i wanted to post this. :)

interesting. but people dont really think a movie over 200 millions will be again R right? ;)

4. matrix_ghost movie fan

It's not going to be R rated. I have read somewhere that Cameron has said because of economical reasons , he'll have to go PG-13.
    And it does make sense. It would be career suicide to spend 200 mil on a R rated movie. But yeah while the action is brutal , all they need to do is simply remove the blood and you've reduced the violence .

But he should make this after Avatar. And by that i mean the first Avatar movie , not the trilogy
    Otherwise it'll take so long that by the time Cameron releases the first Battle Angel movie in cinemas , we'll be watching them with our kids

5. AnorexicBatman Registered

Battle Angel will feel like a breath of fresh air to most people.
    Gotta give to the Japanese creators on making something like this...

It's basically (Kill Bill + Terminator) * Ludicrous Speed

Plus we have never had such a young action protagonist. Lot's of ethical and moral dilemmas as well. They essentially took away her childhood and turned her into a killing machine. The Gunslinger Girl anime also has a similar concept

Loss of innocence and all that...

6. matrix_ghost movie fan

Well from the look of things Kick-Ass is gonna be the first one to nail that :cwink:
    But yeah , my interest in this is more technical. Avatar really is the testbed for Battle ANgel and i'd really like to see Cameron going all out with the tech he created. It's one thing to nail the photorealism of a Na'Vi , it's a whole different thing to actually create a CG human. Not only that but the sheer amount of superhuman moves will be very tricky to pull off. The hardest part in creating CG characters pulling of superhuman feats is to get the movement right. A valid criticism with the spider-man movies is that while they are able to nail the look of the charactes in some cases , ité the action where things start to go a bit awry. It looks the like characters have no weight or simply just move too "cartoony".

7. AnorexicBatman Registered

I hope this kicks of a series of serious i.e. well made manga/anime based movies
    Peter Jackson's FULL METAL ALCHEMIST anyone?

OOH OOOH!!!

Gore Verbinski's EPIC: Pirates Of The Carribean Vs. The Straw Hat Pirates (One Piece)!
    Depp could play Luufy as well, being a character actor and all.

#7 AnorexicBatman, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  8. dark_b Registered

they can call it ''oil'' :oldrazz:

but smart man. R would really be a suicide :awesome:

9. matrix_ghost movie fan

This is the AICN interview. It's dated Jan. 2007 and it mostly about Avatar

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31191

Interestingly enough there was another AICN interview back in Feb of 2006. ALot has been changed , such as the fact that Avatar is now being planned as a trilogy. However it does give you a nice idea of how things were planned ( and will probably stay...):
    http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22599

10. AnorexicBatman Registered

Advice for Mr. Cameron. Have the parents of Alita (OMG! Twist! They are alive!) be played by Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sigourney Weaver...

Why?

Well proof of her badassness of course!
    Fighting Female (Ellen Ripley) + Unstoppable Machine (Terminator)

11. Crook Registered

^ That better not be an actual twist. :o

12. AnorexicBatman Registered

Don't worry. Cameron won't do anything that harms the story.

13. dude stannis Registered

Terminator 3 cost $200 million and made $433 million. :hehe:

There's been rumblings of Cameron and Schwarzenegger doing a movie once Ah-nuld leaves office.

14. dark_b Registered

i said again R. and you know that terminator salvation was a bomb right? :yay:

15. dude stannis Registered

Yeah Salvation died on it's arse. The only Terminator film not to double it's production budget. It was also the only PG-13 one.

As for Battle Angel, if Cameron thinks blood and F-words for whatever reason, are necessary, he can always add them in for an unrated DVD release, considering how much of a perfectionist he is, they'd probaby intergrate much better than the Die Hard 4 DVD did.

16. dark_b Registered

using the F word is not enough for me to make a movie brutal. i think if it would be R it would be because of the killing.

17. dude stannis Registered

Yeah honestly, this one F-word rule from the MPAA is bogus. True Lies had like 4 or 5 F-words, but they where spread really far apart over 2 hours and 20 minutes. That means on average there was more than half an hour between each F-word. I don't see how an F-word every half an hour is worse than just one F-word in two hours.

18. dark_b Registered

the MPAA is crazy. stupid.

and noone can stop them.

19. terry78 My name is Stefan, sweet thang

Cameron is honestly the only other director aside from the Wachowskis that can actually film live-action scenes that look exactly like anime action scenes and not have it come off goofy. Here's to hoping this works.

20. black_dust FrEaK-A-ZoId!!!

I thought Cameron recently said Battle Angel is on hold and he is doing a "Normal" (as in non sc-fi) film next?

#20 black_dust, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  21. matrix_ghost movie fan

22. AnorexicBatman Registered

The manliest action movie of all time will star ... a little girl...
    Take that Terminator, McClane and Dr. Jones!

Cameron on Battle Angel
    Quote:
    No! It can't be!!! Cameron needs to do this! It's Blade Runner + The Matrix!

23. dark_b Registered

what kind of answer did you expect? he worked 4 years on a 300 or 400 million movie. 4 years guys.

of course he said this. ask him again in 3 years.

24. matrix_ghost movie fan

Back in 2006 he was interviewed by Harry Knowles.
    Cameron said that his plan was to start pre-production of Battle Angel during post. of avatar. However he did say that if avatar took up more of his time , he'd focus on avatar .

And in other interviews , he also talked about using the sam tech. on Battle Angel. Hell while Avatar was being made , concept art was being done on Battle Angel. Even a script was being written.

I seriously hope that Cameron isn't serious about this and secretly is focusing on Battle Angel.

25. dark_b Registered

he will do battle angle. its a project that he wants to do.

but now its just not the right time to ask him.