Best and Worst of DC 2007

BrianWilly

Disciple of Whedon
Reaction score
A little late, sure, but the other board has one and there's just as much to talk about here on this side of the fence.

Totally not at all copying and pasting Dread's categories and utterly without added categories from Norman Osborn...the poster, not the guy who may or may not have ****ed Gwen Stacy at this point.

Best DC Hero of 2007?
Worst DC Hero of 2007?

Best DC Heroine of 2007?
Worst DC Heroine of 2007?

Best DC Event of 2007?
Worst DC Event of 2007?

Best DC Book of 2007?
Worst DC Book of 2007?

Best Relaunch of 2007?
Worst Relaunch of 2007?

Best Fight of 2007?
Worst Fight of 2007?

Best Moment of 2007?
Worst Moment of 2007?

Best Mini of 2007?
Worst Mini of 2007?

Best Writer & Artist of 2007?
Worst Writer & Artist of 2007?

Best DC Villain of 2007?
Worst DC Villain of 2007?

Best New DC character of 2007?
Worst New DC character of 2007?

Breakout Writer of 2007?

Breakout Artist of 2007?

Breakout Comic Book of 2007?

Oh hell no, people. This is just embarrassing.

Hfft. Fine, I'll go first. With some c&p.

Best DC Hero of 2007?
Booster Gold. Of all the heroes in the DCU right now in all the teams and, hell, in all the Earths, I'd choose Booster Gold at this moment if I needed someone to save a universe.

Worst DC Hero of 2007?
Captain Atom.

Best DC Heroine of 2007?
Power Girl stands out as the one who has done the most maturing and most development in recent years, and this year really saw her coming into her own.

Hippolyta. Poor Polly. Turned from an adventurous spirit kicking Nazi ass with the JSA into a man-hating psycho btch who threw spears at her own daughter. At least Gail Simone is turning her back into an adventerous spirit kicking Nazi ass again.
(Runner-up: Mary Marvel)

Best DC Event of 2007?
Sinestro Corps War. Massive chunks of it were unreadable and chunks of those chunks featured character-raping nonsense, but the overall event was very solidly-handled and epic, with plenty of interesting ideas setting up the only future DC event that I've been looking forward to for a long while. And the GL Corps issues were all fantastic of course.
Okay, fine, the bar simply wasn't set very high this year.

Worst DC Event of 2007?
Amazons Attack. Offensively bad and badly offensive. Combined with the trainwreck of Blunder Woman under Heinberg's laziness and Picoult's amateur skills, makes for the single worst series of comes I've ever read, beating even Countdown for this...honor.

Best DC Book of 2007
Blue Beetle
(Very close battle with Booster Gold on this -- oh, the ironies -- but Beetle gets exceptional merit for longterm consistency)

Worst DC Book of 2007
Countdown to Final Crisis
(Very close second: Teen Titans. McKeever is kind of in the process of saving it at the moment, but magic eight ball says wait and see for now)

Best Relaunch of 2007?
Booster Gold

Worst Relaunch of 2007?
Green Arrow and Black Canary
(Very close second: Titans East. Good job, Winick. Good job)

Best Fight of 2007?
Hmm. Probably Mogo vs. Ranx.

Worst Fight of 2007?
Deathstroke against every single Titan. And winning.

Best Moment of 2007?
52 Week 52: "Welcome home."

Worst Moment of 2007?
An Amazon murdering an unarmed man and then slitting the throat of his child. No other moment comes close.

Best Mini of 2007?
Black Adam. Nonstop badass wrapped in a shock to your balls.

Worst Mini of 2007?
Mm. I probably shouldn't give all the honors to Amazons Attack; there's just been so many bad events going on this year. But it fits the bill and, again, no other mini comes close.
(Honorable mention goes to the Trials of Shazam! for wasting everyone's time, including the characters'. It does have some good moments interspersed within the waste of pages, however.)

Writer: Greg Rucka. His work has been word-for-word flawless this year. Flaw. Less. For absolutely no other writer in this industry, including Whedon, could I say that.
Artist: Ivan Reis
(Special mention goes to Terry and Rachel Dodson for consistently turning in gorgeous artwork even when a series hits rock bottom)

Writer: Judd Winick.
(Very close battle with Adam Beechen on this, but Winick gets exceptional demerits for the fact that he should know better, much better)
Artist: Sanford Greene. The art he has at his site is pretty damn awesome, but the art that actually appears in the comic is just UGH.
(Special mention goes to pretty much every single Countdown artist)

Best DC Villain of 2007?
Black Adam
(Runner-up: Sinestro)

Kyle Rayner.
(Very close second: Hippolyta)
(XTREMEly close third: Mary Marvel)

I have a real fondness for the new Kent Nelson, aka Dr. Fate, in Countdown to Mystery. He's pretty much a "how-to" guide on making magic/legacy heroes.

Forerunner.
What in the fcking goddamn hell is this bullsht.

Breakout Writer of 2007
Jon Rogers
(Special mention goes to Tony Bedard, for doing everyone's fill-in issues)

Breakout Artist of 2007
Cliff Chiang
(Special mention goes to Nicola Scott)

Probably Green Lantern Corps. Tying into Sinestro Corps War finally gave this lil' comic the sort of exposure that it has always deserved. Even with the sudden writer shift to Tomasi, things are only looking good for the title.

Oh hell no, people. This is just embarrassing.

Hfft. Fine, I'll go first. With some c&p.

Best DC Hero of 2007?
Booster Gold. Of all the heroes in the DCU right now in all the teams and, hell, in all the Earths, I'd choose Booster Gold at this moment if I needed someone to save a universe.

Worst DC Hero of 2007?
Captain Atom.

Best DC Heroine of 2007?
Power Girl stands out as the one who has done the most maturing and most development in recent years, and this year really saw her coming into her own.

Hippolyta. Poor Polly. Turned from an adventurous spirit kicking Nazi ass with the JSA into a man-hating psycho btch who threw spears at her own daughter. At least Gail Simone is turning her back into an adventerous spirit kicking Nazi ass again.
(Runner-up: Mary Marvel)

Best DC Event of 2007?
Sinestro Corps War. The event was very solidly-handled and epic, with plenty of interesting ideas setting up the only future DC event that I've been looking forward to for a long while.

Worst DC Event of 2007?
Amazons Attack. Offensively bad and badly offensive. Combined with the trainwreck of Blunder Woman under Heinberg's laziness and Picoult's amateur skills, makes for the single worst series of comes I've ever read, beating even Countdown for this...honor.

Best DC Book of 2007
Justice Society of America.

Worst DC Book of 2007

Countdown to Final Crisis
(Very close second: Teen Titans. McKeever is kind of in the process of saving it at the moment, but magic eight ball says wait and see for now)

Best Relaunch of 2007?
tie between:Booster Gold, Jutice Society of America and Batman and The Outsiders

Worst Relaunch of 2007?
Green Arrow and Black Canary
(Very close second: Titans East. Good job, Winick. Good job)

Best Fight of 2007?
Hmm. Probably Mogo vs. Ranx.

Worst Fight of 2007?
Deathstroke against every single Titan. And winning.

Best Moment of 2007?
52 Week 52: "Welcome home."

Worst Moment of 2007?
An Amazon murdering an unarmed man and then slitting the throat of his child. No other moment comes close.

Best Mini of 2007?
Black Adam. Nonstop badass wrapped in a shock to your balls.

Worst Mini of 2007?
Mm. I probably shouldn't give all the honors to Amazons Attack; there's just been so many bad events going on this year. But it fits the bill and, again, no other mini comes close.
(Honorable mention goes to the Trials of Shazam! for wasting everyone's time, including the characters'. It does have some good moments interspersed within the waste of pages, however.)

Writer: Greg Rucka. and Geoff Johns
Artist: Ivan Reis
(Special mention goes to Terry and Rachel Dodson for consistently turning in gorgeous artwork even when a series hits rock bottom)

Writer: Judd Winick.
(Very close battle with Adam Beechen on this, but Winick gets exceptional demerits for the fact that he should know better, much better)
Artist: Sanford Greene. The art he has at his site is pretty damn awesome, but the art that actually appears in the comic is just UGH.
(Special mention goes to pretty much every single Countdown artist)

Best DC Villain of 2007?
Sinestro

Kyle Rayner.
(Very close second: Hippolyta)
(XTREMEly close third: Mary Marvel)

Citizen Steel

Forerunner.
What in the fcking goddamn hell is this bullsht.

Breakout Writer of 2007
:huh:

Breakout Artist of 2007

Dale Eaglesham

Booster Gold

made some changes

Best DC Hero of 2007?

Booster Gold

Worst DC Hero of 2007?

Robin

Best DC Heroine of 2007?

Liberty Belle

Mary Marvel

Best DC Event of 2007?

Sinestro Corps

Worst DC Event of 2007?

Amazons Attack

Best DC Book of 2007?

Green Lantern

Worst DC Book of 2007?

Wonder Woman (pre-Simone)

Best Relaunch of 2007?

Booster Gold

Worst Relaunch of 2007?

The Flash

Best Fight of 2007?

The battle for Earth in GL #25.

Worst Fight of 2007?

The heroes' pathetic response to the Amazon invasion.

Best Moment of 2007?

Gail Simone reminds us why Wonder Woman is a great character.

Worst Moment of 2007?

The "mortal Diana Prince"/"stone golem" conversation. Ugh.

Worst Mini of 2007?

Amazons Attack

Geoff Johns & Ivan Reis

Will Pfeiffer/Jodi Picoult/Allan Heinberg & the guys handling the GLC crossover issues.

Best DC Villain of 2007?

Sinestro

Granny Goodness

Diana's new gorilla pals

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member