Best Blofeld?

Mr.E.Nygma

Sidekick
Reaction score
Blofeld is THE classic Bond villain, also parodied as Dr. Evil
So who do you think was the best version of Blofeld?
Who was the better actor to play the part?

I definately go for Donald Pleasance for his look and the mystery of all before he is showed. Perfect tone, voice, motion.

I would say that Blofeld was at his best in FRWL, very mysterious and scary. But I think Pleasence's take on the character was the best. Savallas looked too much like a mobster and was taking too much part of the action. And let's not talk about DAF's Blofeld.

Visually it's Donald Pleasance. But Telly Savallas' more physical Blofeld is cool too, and his fight with 007 was awesome.

I would have loved to see Yul Brynner as Blofeld.

Donald was great. He had the look, voice, and creepiness. Yeah Telly actually got into a fight with Bond but I don't see Blofeld doing that. To me he seems like the type of guy who would have people do stuff for him.

Catman said:
Donald was great. He had the look, voice, and creepiness. Yeah Telly actually got into a fight with Bond but I don't see Blofeld doing that. To me he seems like the type of guy who would have people do stuff for him.

In the movies, yeah, but in the books he is known to brawl

Catman said:

He could have got into a fight with Bond, but it would be only at last resort I think (such as when he ran away in bobsleigh). The problem I had with Savallas is that he was too much into the action, I couldn't picture Blofeld skying after Bond with his henchmen. Blofeld should be first and foremost a schemer, not a muscle man.

The original Blofeld from FRWL and TB. Of the Blofelds we actually see I'll have to go with Telly Savallas. In the novels Blofeld was a physical match for Bond and the bobsled fight in OHMSS was almost a direct translation from the novel. The only thing is that Blofeld in the novels had a full head of hair.

Geo7877 said:
In the movies, yeah, but in the books he is known to brawl

True but I still don't see him doing that. Maybe as a last resort like Everyman said.

I prefer Donald Pleasence as Blofeld. I liked the Blofeld who sat in the shadow and schemed and had henchmen to do his dirty work.
Telly Savales wasn't that bad, but after seeing Pleasence it was just very weird to see him try to be the same character.

The DAF Blofeld was just awful.
Who had the great idea of letting an actor who was a good guy just a few movies earlier be the third Blofeld in as many movies?

Same thing with Joe Don Baker, by the way, who played both a villain (Whittaker) and a good guy (Jack Wade).

well i much prefer the faceless version in FRWL and TB, but if he has to have a face, it has to be Donald Pleasance's version... the bald head with the big scar is an image permantly engrained in my memory at this point... just classic!

at once, i both love and hate Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movies, because i love the fact that he's a kind of tribute to Pleasance's Blofeld, but i hate that he has kinda eclipsed the original in the minds of the younger generation... the tribute has, in some sense, ruined the original for a lot of people, i think... if that makes sense...

Clouseau said:
well i much prefer the faceless version in FRWL and TB, but if he has to have a face, it has to be Donald Pleasance's version... the bald head with the big scar is an image permantly engrained in my memory at this point... just classic!

at once, i both love and hate Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movies, because i love the fact that he's a kind of tribute to Pleasance's Blofeld, but i hate that he has kinda eclipsed the original in the minds of the younger generation... the tribute has, in some sense, ruined the original for a lot of people, i think... if that makes sense...

I agree with what you said about Dr Evil, but I think Blofeld was spoofed already in DAF, and this is where the chaacter got ruined.

i dunno if i'd say Gray's Blofeld was a spoof, though... he was just a terrible Blofeld...

that said, i like the villain Gray plays... i just think it would've been better if he'd had a different name! there's no way i could buy him as the same character portrayed in any of the earlier Bond films...

Clouseau said:
i dunno if i'd say Gray's Blofeld was a spoof, though... he was just a terrible Blofeld...

that said, i like the villain Gray plays... i just think it would've been better if he'd had a different name! there's no way i could buy him as the same character portrayed in any of the earlier Bond films...

I think on the whole DAF was a Bond spoof, and Blofeld was a parody of himself in it, objectively. I don,t know if it was intended as such, but that was the end result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"