Roger Moore Sucked In "For Your Eyes Only."

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
For_Your_Eyes_Onlydrag.jpg

Look how jolly the man is. I just can't buy him as a serious Bond. Not because it goes against the image he created in the role, but because he wasn't that good of an actor. He's boring when he's not being funny.

Many consider For Your Eyes Only to be one of the best in the series. It was the first serious installment since On Her Majesty's Secret Service in 1969. It was the first to be based on Ian Fleming's short stories and is rather faithful too. So, I can understand why people love it so much, but Moore ruins it for me. He's just too...stiff. He brings no emotion to the role, no anger, no energy. Nothing. He's just there. He's only good when he can be funny (like when he captures Blofeld in the pre-title sequence) or when he's romancing the Bond girls.

This is a film that would have been great for Timothy Dalton. Perhaps even better than The Living Daylights.

Funny how I prefer the elderly Timothy Dalton over the younger Bond Timothy Dalton.

Why is a Bot commenting on Roger Moore? Has his sex appeal reached a level where even machines are attracted to him!?! DAMN YOU ROGER MOORE! YOU'VE BROUGHT ON JUDGEMENT DAY!!!!

Look how jolly the man is. I just can't buy him as a serious Bond. Not because it goes against the image he created in the role, but because he wasn't that good of an actor. He's boring when he's not being funny.

Many consider For Your Eyes Only to be one of the best in the series. It was the first serious installment since On Her Majesty's Secret Service in 1969. It was the first to be based on Ian Fleming's short stories and is rather faithful too. So, I can understand why people love it so much, but Moore ruins it for me. He's just too...stiff. He brings no emotion to the role, no anger, no energy. Nothing. He's just there. He's only good when he can be funny (like when he captures Blofeld in the pre-title sequence) or when he's romancing the Bond girls.

This is a film that would have been great for Timothy Dalton. Perhaps even better than The Living Daylights.

i'm sorry, but i would be jolly too if i was in that photo.

moore was good in Live and Let Die and The Spy Who Loved Me those had the best mix of action and comedy. i think the movies should have been closer to the books but then i dont think that moore would have been the right guy for bond then

Moore was great in FYEO.

Why? Compared to Sean Connery, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, and Daniel Craig he brought nothing to his "serious take" in the role. The film opens with Bond visiting Tracy's grave and later on he encounters a young woman who is seeking revenge. Instead of having an emotional connection with her he's just an old wise man giving advice that he doesn't even believe himself. He killed Blofeld in the pre-title sequence with a wink and a smile and is now saying that revenge doesn't answer anything. Wow, what a flip-flopper. Daniel Craig handled the revenge concept a lot better in Quantum of Solace. As did Sean Connery in Goldfinger where he blamed himself for the murder of the Masterson sisters. Timothy Dalton did the revenge thing too in License to Kill and Pierce Brosnan in The World Is Not Enough. They were all better and brought more emotion to the role. The action scenes are also a little silly. If it isn't a stunt double it's Moore looking way too old. The only badass thing he does is kick a car off a cliff and that's thanks to the script and special effects team.

is there anyone that that can, off the top of their heads, think of a Moore villain other then Jaws? Connery got all the good bad guys.

is there anyone that that can, off the top of their heads, think of a Moore villain other then Jaws? Connery got all the good bad guys.

Hugo Drax, Stromberg, Max Zorin (played by Christopher Walken, best aspect of A View to Kill), Odd Job, and of course, the great Christopher Lee as The Man with the Golden Gun, Scaramanga.

Moore had some pretty memorable villains IMO. I'd say it was after the Moore era that the villains decline. The only REALLY memorable ones after Moore's era are Alec Trevelyan and Renard.

Odd Job was from the Connery era, but yeah, most of Moore's villains were memorable. And I wouldn't say that the villains started to decline afterwards. Robert Davi was great in License to Kill. As you said, Alec in GoldenEye. And, technically, [BLACKOUT]Sophia Marceau[/BLACKOUT] was the villain in The World Is Not Enough and [BLACKOUT]she[/BLACKOUT] was great. The thing is that the villains got less cartoon-ish after Christopher Walken. So, they pale in comparison to those from the past.

Odd Job was from the Connery era, but yeah, most of Moore's villains were memorable. And I wouldn't say that the villains started to decline afterwards. Robert Davi was great in License to Kill. As you said, Alec in GoldenEye. And, technically, [BLACKOUT]Sophia Marceau[/BLACKOUT] was the villain in The World Is Not Enough and [BLACKOUT]she[/BLACKOUT] was great. The thing is that the villains got less cartoon-ish after Christopher Walken. So, they pale in comparison to those from the past.

Yeah, I know Elektra was the villain but I consider her more of the evil Bond girl than the villain. Both she and Renard were great. If they kept out Denise Richards and made her the only Bond girl that movie would be in my top 5. The Craig era's villains, IMO, are particularly uninspired.

Odd Job was in Goldfinger a Connery film

That's right, I'm thinking of the midget, Nick Nack. But the point stands, the Moore era had its fair share of good villains.

Yeah, I know Elektra was the villain but I consider her more of the evil Bond girl than the villain. Both she and Renard were great. If they kept out Denise Richards and made her the only Bond girl that movie would be in my top 5. The Craig era's villains, IMO, are particularly uninspired.

That's right, I'm thinking of the midget, Nick Nack. But the point stands, the Moore era had its fair share of good villains.
i mean from the non-fan point of view they just didn't stick, at least to me.

I disagree. Scaramanga is often on top Bond villain lists as is Stromberg. Hugo Drax and Max Zorin are pretty well known as well.

Roger Moore's run was comical. He made me think of Adam West in Batman on how he acted & just how campy his movies were.

the Moore era had its fair share of good villains.

Yeah, but none were as good as the Connery villains. The blaxploitation ones in Live and Let Die were ridiculous. Stromberg is a Blofeld rip-off. As is Hugo Drax to some degree. The bad guys in For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy were pretty un-memorable except for that scary-looking Indian henchman in OP. So, really, Christopher Lee and Christoper Walken (the two Chris') are the only ones who can seriously compete with Connery's rogue gallery.

Depends on if you like the source, but EW did a piece on how MGM may be losing Bond..in it it also mentions the actors who played them. It seems Moore is the most maligned.

Why? Compared to Sean Connery, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, and Daniel Craig he brought nothing to his "serious take" in the role. The film opens with Bond visiting Tracy's grave and later on he encounters a young woman who is seeking revenge. Instead of having an emotional connection with her he's just an old wise man giving advice that he doesn't even believe himself. He killed Blofeld in the pre-title sequence with a wink and a smile and is now saying that revenge doesn't answer anything. Wow, what a flip-flopper. Daniel Craig handled the revenge concept a lot better in Quantum of Solace. As did Sean Connery in Goldfinger where he blamed himself for the murder of the Masterson sisters. Timothy Dalton did the revenge thing too in License to Kill and Pierce Brosnan in The World Is Not Enough. They were all better and brought more emotion to the role. The action scenes are also a little silly. If it isn't a stunt double it's Moore looking way too old. The only badass thing he does is kick a car off a cliff and that's thanks to the script and special effects team.
I don't consider Bond's killing of Blofeld in FYEO as revenge like he was talking to Helena about (yes, I know Blofeld killed his wife and Bond would want revenge for that) but she was actively hunting her parents killers down so that she could have revenge. Bond killed Blofeld in the opening scenes because Blofeld attacked and tried to kill Bond.

Yeah, but none were as good as the Connery villains. The blaxploitation ones in Live and Let Die were ridiculous. Stromberg is a Blofeld rip-off. As is Hugo Drax to some degree. The bad guys in For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy were pretty un-memorable except for that scary-looking Indian henchman in OP. So, really, Christopher Lee and Christoper Walken (the two Chris') are the only ones who can seriously compete with Connery's rogue gallery.

Stromberg was far more benevolant than Blofeld (which makes him so interesting) and Drax is nothing like Blofeld aside from arguably their plan. :huh: Connery's rogue gallery had. Red Grant, Dr. No, Largo, and Goldfinger. Blofeld is a mixed bag as he was only good when Donald Pleasence played him and sucked in Diamonds Are Forever.

So they both had four or five classic villains. Seems even to me.

I think Bond if a generational thing. I prefer the Brosnan bonds. Even then they all bore the piss out of me.

Except GoldenEye. But Nintendo helped cultivate my love that movie.

Hugo Drax, Stromberg, Max Zorin (played by Christopher Walken, best aspect of A View to Kill), Odd Job, and of course, the great Christopher Lee as The Man with the Golden Gun, Scaramanga.

I thought Drax and Stromberg were bland as hell. Both were shallow gimmicky villains (one wanted to build a civilization underwater, the other in space) with no real material to work with. They had very little scenes with Bond, and those they had were forgettable.

Scaramanga was the best villain from Moore's era, IMO. Although the movie itself he's in was pretty bad (Mary Goodnight was dire, and Nick Nack was ridiculous), Christopher Lee is magnificent in the role, and had some fab scenes with Bond.

I don't consider Bond's killing of Blofeld in FYEO as revenge

He seemed pretty happy about it. By contrast, he was pretty serious when he kicked a car off a cliff with a guy inside of it. The same guy who killed the woman he was sleeping with the day before.

How is FYEO faithful to the short story? The only similarities are some characters from the story Hilderbrant Rarity and the setting in Italy and the use of Colombo from Risico. Otherwise it's just another movie taking a Fleming title and a couple characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"