Best CBM of 2017

I really doubt JL is first but I'm in the quandary about best vs. favorite.

If you asked me right now which would I rather watch it'd be either GOTG2 or Ragnarok.

Is Logan better? I thought it was excellent but I also don't have a real desire to watch it right now either.

Exactly how I feel. Logan is the best CBM this year, but Homecoming is my favorite. I'll vote Logan though since it's titled "Best"

Probably wont see Justice League for some time, so no voting for me. But so far it's looking like this:

1. Logan
2. Spider-Man: Homecoming
3. Thor: Ragnarok
4. Wonder Woman
5. Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
6. Lego Batman

And I keep hearing that even Justice League is perfectly decent. Awesome year.

1. Logan
2. Thor: Ragnarok
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. The Lego Batman Movie
5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2
6. Wonder Woman

Not seen Justice League yet.

The whole separation of favorite and best is weird to me. It sounds like it's something that indicates that people think there's objective worth to art.

To me a film's job is to affect you (which can be done in a lot of different ways) and the one you like the most did the best job.

Exactly how I feel. Logan is the best CBM this year, but Homecoming is my favorite. I'll vote Logan though since it's titled "Best"

Actually the question in the poll says "favorite". ;)

The ones I've seen.

Thor Ragnarok
Spider-Man Homecoming
Guardians Vol.2
Logan

Logan is the best movie,I guess? But not my cup of tea.

My favorite is definitely Thor Ragnarok.

Ragnarok was by far my favorite, but I liked Gotg2 and Logan... the rest meh

Mjölnir;35987487 said:
The whole separation of favorite and best is weird to me. It sounds like it's something that indicates that people think there's objective worth to art.

To me a film's job is to affect you (which can be done in a lot of different ways) and the one you like the most did the best job.

Logan is the better movie, but it's one that's kind of long and emotionally draining so I haven't had any desire to watch it again since seeing it

I wonder if we did this poll again in February--after Thor is no longer the newest MCU movie--if it would still be the most popular MCU film from 2017. I say this because, yes, I do think Homecoming and Guardians were much better (as well as a number of other CBM from 2017), but it's just an interesting idea. I recall many saying Spider-Man: Homecoming was the best MCU movie ever in July, an Guardians was one of the all-time great Marvel movies in May. And now they barely have any votes.

Just a thought.

Whether you have the poll now or in five years, Logan will always be my answer. I was very pleased with all of them save for Justice League (which I found to be mediocre), so it was a very good year.

It's between Ragnarok and Wonder Woman.

Ok...got it

1-Thor 3
2-Spidey/WW/GotG 2
3-Logan
4-JL

What a great year for CBMs. JL is "worst"...but I didn't hate it.

It was Logan for me...
Until Thor came out. Thor is just incredible.

Mjölnir;35987487 said:

Agreed. There is actually no "better" in art. It's something different for everyone (obviously....look at the poll here).

It'a about an emotional reaction and that's going to be different for everyone. For instance I thought JL was 50% good and 50% bad last night but the good parts hit me with exhilaration that was more important than the negative emotions from the bad parts. So I ended up with a 7/10 movie.

Logan produced negative emotions in me. Not negative as "bad"...but sadness, despair, hopelessness, etc. That was well done and all, but it is not as pleasant as the emotions Thor 3 produced in me. Joy, laughter, fun, exhilaration....all positive emotions that frankly make me feel better.

There is a certain pull to feeling sad about something, but I don't tend to linger over things like that. I could only watch Schindler's List and Sophie's Choice once apiece for that reason. Logan is another I will probably only watch once.

I've already seen all the others more than once and will probably see JL again at some point. That's not nothing.

Mjölnir;35987487 said:

Maybe objective isn't the right word, but I do think that one can try to be impartial and set their own feelings/biases aside to evaluate a piece of art on its own merits. Someone's favorite food might be bacon, but that doesn't necessarily mean that bacon is the best food (unless you're on keto or some other weird fad diet). A closer example would be that a blurry instragram selfie might be someone's favorite photo, but it'd be a stretch to argue that said selfie is superior to a properly composed, sharply focused professional (or amateur, for that matter) portrait. I do believe that there is some degree of objective worth to art, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Anyway, Homecoming was probably my favorite this year. I'm a Spider-Man fanboy though, so there's that.

I wonder if we did this poll again in February--after Thor is no longer the newest MCU movie--if it would still be the most popular MCU film from 2017. I say this because, yes, I do think Homecoming and Guardians were much better (as well as a number of other CBM from 2017), but it's just an interesting idea. I recall many saying Spider-Man: Homecoming was the best MCU movie ever in July, an Guardians was one of the all-time great Marvel movies in May. And now they barely have any votes.

Just a thought.

The newer movie tends to get a lot votes as it’s more fresh in the end. Then as time goes on and more flaws get noticed that goes down in estimations as well. It’s always the way.

Logan produced negative emotions in me. Not negative as "bad"...but sadness, despair, hopelessness, etc. That was well done and all, but it is not as pleasant as the emotions Thor 3 produced in me. Joy, laughter, fun, exhilaration....all positive emotions that frankly make me feel better.

There is a certain pull to feeling sad about something, but I don't tend to linger over things like that. I could only watch Schindler's List and Sophie's Choice once apiece for that reason. Logan is another I will probably only watch once.
Pretty much this. I thought Logan was an amazing achievement and a great movie but in the end of the day Thor Ragnarok just made me feel all of those feelings/emotions you mentioned above. And that also tips the scale for me and makes it my favorite.

And i totally feel that Thor Ragnarok will stand the test of time. It's just something special, something different and fresh for the hole franchise, character and even the MCU as a hole... It's almost like an "else world" kind of chapter/story. So it's definitely going to have a big appeal with repeat viewings. It's not that type of movie that you watch once and you're like ok i really don't need to see that ever again, it has plenty of repeat value, the music, the action, overall vibe, character interaction and humor are all top notch.

And like other Taika Waititi movies they are indeed special in their own way. They have soul to them and it makes them quotable, totally enjoyable and stay with you as the time goes on.

Just a thought.
For myself it will without a doubt always have a spot in the MCU top movies. I loved the movie the first time i saw it and i just soaked it all in the second time around which made it even better. The action is otherworldly and will always be remembered, 3 specific action set pieces are just epic... the first one in Muspelheim is basically what Thor should always have been, then you have the Thor vs Hulk which is just memorable in so many ways, these 2 behemoths from the MCU and Marvel Comics going at it and all of this built on that endless rivalry... And last but not least the hole 3rd act, is just money shot after money shot. Couple that with the music and is just so freaking amazing. Taika's humor is just the cherry on top of the cake. Endlessly quotable and always fun to watch.

For me GOTG2 was a let down. Not a bad movie but also not something on the level of Thor Ragnarok. And i guess a lot of people feel the same way when you look at the votes. I highly doubt it, that next year if the same question is asked again, those people and many others that choose Thor Ragnarok would pick another movie just because it "isn't as fresh in their minds".

Last edited:
Logan is probably the better movie than the rest, but count me among those with no interest to re-visit it. WW, Guards 2, Spidey, and Thor 3 are all about equal. Probably waiting on JL when it hits cheap seats.

Just a thought.

Or, it could just be that people do actually know their own minds and genuinely think that Ragnarok is the best MCU film released this year? Novel idea, I know. I really enjoyed both GotG 2 and Homecoming, and if Ragnarok hadn't come out this year I would have put GotG 2 at the top of my list. But Ragnarok did come out this year, and I ended up enjoying it more than both GotG 2 and Homecoming. Simple as that. Just because you put both those movies ahead of Ragnarok, it doesn't mean that everyone else will feel the same.

If people were voting for something just because it's new and shiny and they enjoyed it somewhat then JL would surely be getting more votes, right? Ragnarok has been out for nearly 4 weeks here in the UK and most of the rest of Europe, the novelty factor has definitely worn off but I, and clearly many other people, still love it.

Just a thought.

There's always people around trying to find excuses for why what they like isn't shared by everyone else.

DACrowe's just mad that Logan or Wonder Woman isn't winning the poll. :o :woot:

Last edited:
Everyone of you who didn't vote for Logan will feel my wrath

Someone should do a Logan vs Thor Ragnarok poll later on. Since those two are getting the most votes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"