Best CBM "Couple"

Scott pilgrim and garlic bread. Best comic book film couple Evah.

Wallace/Lucas end of discussion.

...Who am I kidding you can't beat Scott and Garlic Bread.

I my vote goes to Supes & Lois in Superman: The Movie & Superman II.

Peter and Gwen in TaSM are the best and the only ones that don't bore me to tears. Wolverine and Mariko was just lame, there was no chemistry at all. Scott and Jean in X-Men had potential if he wasn't pushed aside by the writers for Wolverine.

Superman and Lois from the Donner films with Steve and Peggy following closely behind.

1. Iron Man and Pepper Potts: A well adjusted and believable relationship.

2. Batman and Catwoman (The Dark Knight Rises): Just so satisfying to see happen.

3. Batman and Catwoman (Batman Returns): So tragically well realized with, again, believable chemistry and outcome

4. Peter Parker and Mary Jane: Complain about the portrayal but the chemistry in the first film was electric and helped make the second film one of the best superhero movies ever. Plus the upside down kiss is iconic.

5. Superman and Lois Lane (Donner films): Magical, even if, again, some of the casting is questionable.

6. Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy: Garfield and Stone have great chemistry, even if their roles are poorly written and defined.

7. Bruce Banner and Betty (Hulk 2003): Unlike the following attempts, it felt like a real couple who loved each other but couldn't get past their baggage. Actually, it was surprisingly adult for the genre.

8. Scott and Ramona

9. V and Evey

The rest are pretty trite and forgettable.

I don't get what was so great about TDKR Batman/Catwoman relationship.Granted it was well acted by both parties,but there was no real depth to any of it.They just didn't have the time.

Bats never really "converts" her to his "One Rule",she betrays him to cover her back,(Really does nothing to try to help afterwards but try to skip town) causes him to get his back broken and rot for 5 or 6 months in a hellhole,and then he has to twist her arm to get some minor help when he gets back to Gotham.

People like to dump on Pete & MJ's relationship,but what exactly did Bruce see in Selina again?:huh:

Peter/Gwen (TASM)
Tony/Pepper (IM 1-3, TA)
Logan/Mariko (The Wolverine)
Cap/Peggy (CA: TFA)
Superman/Lois (Superman 1 and 2)
I liked Superman/Lois in MOS, but they don't have a real romance yet, so I'll wait to see that play out.

I don't get what was so great about TDKR Batman/Catwoman relationship.Granted it was well acted by both parties,but there was no real depth to any of it.They just didn't have the time.

Bats never really "converts" her to his "One Rule",she betrays him to cover her back,(Really does nothing to try to help afterwards but try to skip town) causes him to get his back broken and rot for 5 or 6 months in a hellhole,and then he has to twist her arm to get some minor help when he gets back to Gotham.

People like to dump on Pete & MJ's relationship,but what exactly did Bruce see in Selina again?:huh:

The part in bold is what Batman/Catwoman did better than Peter/MJ.

Disregarding the fact that one was not better acted than the other- good acting trumps threadbear writing?

1. Iron Man and Pepper Potts: A well adjusted and believable relationship.

2. Batman and Catwoman (The Dark Knight Rises): Just so satisfying to see happen.

3. Batman and Catwoman (Batman Returns): So tragically well realized with, again, believable chemistry and outcome

4. Peter Parker and Mary Jane: Complain about the portrayal but the chemistry in the first film was electric and helped make the second film one of the best superhero movies ever. Plus the upside down kiss is iconic.

5. Superman and Lois Lane (Donner films): Magical, even if, again, some of the casting is questionable.

6. Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy: Garfield and Stone have great chemistry, even if their roles are poorly written and defined.

7. Bruce Banner and Betty (Hulk 2003): Unlike the following attempts, it felt like a real couple who loved each other but couldn't get past their baggage. Actually, it was surprisingly adult for the genre.

8. Scott and Ramona

9. V and Evey

The rest are pretty trite and forgettable.

Other than in one Peter and Mary Jane felt werid for me. Perhaps it's because Mary Jane couldn't keep her pants on

Tie between Tony/Pepper and Peter/Gwen, though I'm leaning towards "Pepperony".

The writing AND acting was better with Batman/Catwoman. At least I could buy both being attracted to each other, even if it was a tad bit rushed. Peter and MJ was poorly written, poorly acted, obnoxious, and even toxic.

There wasn't much to like about her.

I didn't realize that the Peter/MJ romance has been so poorly received; I thought it was very well executed, throughout the first two films at least. What was effective about it is the fact that it was treated as its own arc rather than just another bullet point to attract a particular demographic.

I appreciated that Peter started out as the underdog, an underdog who had about a snowball's chance in Hell of getting the apple of his eye. Between Flash Thompson, his best friend, both of their hectic lives, and his dual identity, getting through to her was an immense struggle in 360 degrees. It wasn't hollow and matter-of-fact as with TASM where it was as simple as two teenagers batting their eyes at each other once, and the next minute they're sharing intimate moments at her apartment. Don't get me wrong, the 'love at first sight' angle can work and has been portrayed well in film before, but there still has to be some semblance of progression to it, otherwise it comes off as tacked on and thoughtless...but I digress.

Anyway, not many of the other choices had moments as thoughtful as the ones Peter & MJ had in the front yard, the hospital, on the street, and of course that iconic kiss. Tender moments aside, the conflicts they had were well written, acted, and executed as well(save for the third film.) I'm not sure how Peter's decision not to get involved with her is also being overlooked, as it completely went against trope & cliche and very effectively served to highlight his selfless dedication to his responsibilities. I don't like seeing relationships come easy in these films. It's worse than a poorly scripted action sequence. As far as I'm concerned, the key ingredients to a successful on-screen romance are sexual tension, conflict, levity, and chemistry. The Peter/MJ romance had all of those in spades...and more than half of the choices on this poll are damn near incomparable by virtue of them lacking one or more of these, as well as for being so simplistic and trite.

Now, I wholeheartedly agree with the majority that Tony & Pepper take the cake without question. Their banter, charm, progression, tension, performances, and everything in between, has been nothing less than stellar; easily the superlative romance within the genre. I especially enjoyed their witty exchange in Avengers. Exceptionally well done, there isn't enough care given to showing these couples just enjoying each others company...writers and directors these days would rather forego that for cheap melodrama it seems. Anyway, Peter and MJ come in at a close second for me, for the aforementioned reasons. The depth present in their relationship(and the lack thereof in several of the others) hardly makes this much of a contest for me.

What's really shocking is that the TDKR romance has more votes, or rather, any at all. I would say that not enough people understand that there is a clear cut difference between the objective best and a personal favorite, but then again the thread title and content of the original post are contradictory in that respect. I'll just go ahead and say that I believe that one too many of us are voting on this based upon which movies, characters, and actors we prefer rather than which romances were actually well portrayed. I'd bet a dime to a dollar that if the TDKR romance wasn't Catwoman and Batman, it wouldn't net a single vote in any poll. There just wasn't anything there; it was crude fan service at its absolute worst. Contrast that to the arcs in Iron Man and Spidey '02, where the subplots were told well and were given an appropriate amount of attention to detail.

TASM showed two high school teens falling in love. Having been in HS not too long ago, I saw many couples begin in pretty much the same way as Peter and Gwen, it was quite believable and not "love at first sight." The problem with Peter/MJ was that she was a selfish, manipulative ***** who was never happy and treated Peter like crap but didn't tell him what was bothering her. She used John Jameson, agreed to marry him despite not truly loving him, then left him at the alter in front of his friends and family, why should I like or care about this woman exactly? Peter never grew a spine and stood up for himself, and he was clueless about things that he should have picked up on. I never bought that they were in love, their so-called relationship was uncomfortable and depressing to watch.

Raimi never gave us one single reason why Peter loved MJ so much.

Yeah, that was weird. In a way, Dunst's MJ is the real villain of the Raimi trilogy.
Think about it.

:hehe:

Raimi never gave us one single reason why Peter loved MJ so much.

Well... He was a geek and she was pretty hot. If you watch the Rami films without the volume it's about a unpopular boy who uses his amazing Spider powers to perv on the high school hottie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"