Best CBM of 2017

1. Logan

2. GOTG Vol. 2
3. Thor: Ragnarok

4. Spider-Man: Homecoming
5. Wonder Woman

Don't care about the others.

I left JL off my previous list because when I posted it, I hadn't seen the film yet. After having seen it, I'm still leaving it off. This is a "best of" thread and the word "best" should not be associated with Justice League.

Savage.

I’ll be honest I thought WW, GOTG2 and Spider-Man Homecoming (which I find over rated) to be putting up a better fight in this poll.

I don't love Logan, I have problems with it, but I have no problem with it winning this poll because I support the approach. We need more unique, stand-alone-ish CBMs.

I'm surprised Ragnarok has this many votes.

Thor Ragnarok has enough merits of it's own to be most people's favorite comic book movie of 2017 independently of it's later release date having any effect on people's choice.

I think freshness has enough influence. Especially in case when the competition (Homecoming, Vol. 2, Logan, Wonder Woman) isn't significantly worse or better.

I think freshness has enough influence. Especially in case when the competition (Homecoming, Vol. 2, Logan, Wonder Woman) isn't significantly worse or better.
I'm not so sure of that. In terms of an overall, all time ranking i maybe could see that being a factor but i think people have enough discernment to choose from movies that range in just a few months of release from each other.

Let's ask the same question next year when the dust has settled and let's see what people's opinion is... if it has or not changed. Right now for the majority(78% of the voters), their opinion seems pretty clear, it's either Thor Ragnarok or Logan for favorite comic book movie of 2017.

Maaaan every MCU movie that comes out is the best of ever for like a few months

True

It's fun and it was released most recently. If Spidey and Ragnarok had switched release dates Im sure the poll would have Spidey in 1st

It’s definitely a factor or trend in these polls. The good CBM that’s newest tends to get a few more votes because it’s more fresh in the mind. Then a year or so later when it’s been re-watched and more of its flaws noticed, opinion of it goes down.

I'm not so sure of that. In terms of an overall, all time ranking i maybe could see that being a factor but i think people have enough discernment to choose from movies that range in just a few months of release from each other.

Let's ask the same question next year when the dust has settled and let's see what people's opinion is... if it has or not changed. Right now for the majority(78% of the voters), their opinion seems pretty clear, it's either Thor Ragnarok or Logan for favorite comic book movie of 2017.

It’s been a trend on polls on here for years, see what I say above.

Maaaan every MCU movie that comes out is the best of ever for like a few months

This doesn't align with my experiences. You might get a small amount of people saying something like, like you can with almost anything (and that would go for other franchises as well, not least DC which has far more users discussing their films here than any other franchise), that but I doubt you can show me a bunch of people saying that for Ragnarok, Homecoming and GotG2.

Right now for the majority(78% of the voters), their opinion seems pretty clear, it's either Thor Ragnarok or Logan for favorite comic book movie of 2017.

I know what you meant, but I have to say that for me it would be between Ragnarok and GotG2.
We could express only our first pick here.

Logan, no question.

It's a movie that belongs in the upper echelon of CBMs. If it weren't for Logan, it would probably be Spider-Man Homecoming.

Mjölnir;35995995 said:
This doesn't align with my experiences. You might get a small amount of people saying something like, like you can with almost anything (and that would go for other franchises as well, not least DC which has far more users discussing their films here than any other franchise), that but I doubt you can show me a bunch of people saying that for Ragnarok, Homecoming and GotG2.

Mjölnir;35995995 said:

Agreed. These "every new MCU movie is the best evar!1!" comments are little more than a backhanded way for some folks to thumb their noses at Marvel. The resentment is almost palpable. It also seems to imply that the fans are fickle, which is probably true to an extent, but certainly not appreciably more than in any other fanbase.

We have indeed seen, especially lately, each new MCU release getting some sort of superlative praise, whether it's "funniest", "best yet", "most fun", or whatever. Thing is, you can't really cry foul if that isn't coming from the same exact people. Aside from the obvious fact that traffic always increases during the theatrical run of newer movies, the reason we see this sort of reaction is twofold imo.

1. Marvel has attained a wide-ranging and diverse fanbase. To that end, there's bound to be something for everyone to enjoy, so of course you're going to see different groups of people singing the latest MCU film's praises. That still doesn't necessarily mean that said praise is somehow undeserved, or that it can be attributed to recency bias, which brings me to my next point:

2. Their movies are usually of a higher quality than they have any business being (especially after 17 films), and they've only been getting better lately. It's obvious from this year's releases alone that they're addressing some of their most common criticisms, which they certainly didn't need to since their success makes it easy for them to rest on their laurels. Look at Homecoming. The second* reboot of a character that only made his debut in 2002, and it was cobbled together (& sandwiched right into Phase 3, no less) in the wake a deal made just 2 years prior. HC really should've been an unmitigated disaster, but Marvel turned it into a home run. It was entertaining, wasn't derivative of the previous franchises, and still managed to do the character justice. Compare that to recent reboots like TASM & MoS, 2 films that were beat for beat remakes of their own superior predecessors, but also managed to completely miss the mark, all while having bigger budgets and more time to plan. I don't even think HC is as good as Raimi's first two, but what it managed to accomplish is pretty astonishing considering the circumstances.

tl;dr - Combine a huge sea of potential fans with a substantial catalog of crowd-pleasing action movies and yeah, you're gonna get several different people calling different films superlative.

Careful if you point out that irony, they will imply you're being a hater. :cwink:

Personally, I think there's nothing but spite behind those kinds of comments.
You disagree with the poll results up to now. That's cool. What's not cool is insinuating that the people who voted for Thor are fickle.

Besides, it's mathematically very correct and possible that every new MCU movie is the best ever in the opinion of some people.
It is the simplest arithmetic progression.

Not Marvel's fault their product is so good. :drl:

Agreed. These "every new MCU movie is the best evar!1!" comments are little more than a backhanded way for some folks to thumb their noses at Marvel. The resentment is almost palpable. It also seems to imply that the fans are fickle, which is probably true to an extent, but certainly not appreciably more than in any other fanbase.

We have indeed seen, especially lately, each new MCU release getting some sort of superlative praise, whether it's "funniest", "best yet", "most fun", or whatever. Thing is, you can't really cry foul if that isn't coming from the same exact people. Aside from the obvious fact that traffic always increases during the theatrical run of newer movies, the reason we see this sort of reaction is twofold imo.

1. Marvel has attained a wide-ranging and diverse fanbase. To that end, there's bound to be something for everyone to enjoy, so of course you're going to see different groups of people singing the latest MCU film's praises. That still doesn't necessarily mean that said praise is somehow undeserved, or that it can be attributed to recency bias, which brings me to my next point:

2. Their movies are usually of a higher quality than they have any business being (especially after 17 films), and they've only been getting better lately. It's obvious from this year's releases alone that they're addressing some of their most common criticisms, which they certainly didn't need to since their success makes it easy for them to rest on their laurels. Look at Homecoming. The second* reboot of a character that only made his debut in 2002, and it was cobbled together (& sandwiched right into Phase 3, no less) in the wake a deal made just 2 years prior. HC really should've been an unmitigated disaster, but Marvel turned it into a home run. It was entertaining, wasn't derivative of the previous franchises, and still managed to do the character justice. Compare that to recent reboots like TASM & MoS, 2 films that were beat for beat remakes of their own superior predecessors, but also managed to completely miss the mark, all while having bigger budgets and more time to plan. I don't even think HC is as good as Raimi's first two, but what it managed to accomplish is pretty astonishing considering the circumstances.

tl;dr - Combine a huge sea of potential fans with a substantial catalog of crowd-pleasing action movies and yeah, you're gonna get several different people calling different films superlative.

Personally, I think there's nothing but spite behind those kinds of comments.
You disagree with the poll results up to now. That's cool. What's not cool is insinuating that the people who voted for Thor are fickle.

I actually really liked Homecoming a lot. I do think it is one of the top 5 or better MCU movies. But I remember arguing with folks guardians wasn't some great movie and being treated by insinuation, yes, to be a hater. Same with Doctor Strange, which is now widely regarded as a middling MCU movie, but if you pointed out it was an Iron Man clone one year ago from today, you were persona non grata to many posters.

So I am noting a trend that actually exists. I am really curious if Thor 3 will be considered some great movie in a year from now. Yes, I don't think it is. But I am more curious about what the fan consensus will be.

I'd rank 2017 films like this (minus JL).

Cinematic value:
1. Logan
2. Wonder Woman
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Lego Batman

Personal enjoyment:
1. Spider-Man: Homecoming
2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
3. Thor: Ragnarok
4. Logan