Best 'Die Hard' Film - Other than the 'Die Hard (1988)

The hardest to watch scene for me isn't even in the second film. It is the scene in the first film where McClane has to drag himself to the bathroom with his feet torn up by glass. That was painful. I didn't think anything in Die Hard 2 went that far.

But I'd take violent Die Hard over the neutered Die Hard of the PG-13 Die Hard 4 any day.

Man, crap like this:

Die-Hard-2-Icicle.jpg

Doesn't belong in a Die Hard film.

IMO, anyway...

That was my favorite kill of the entire series.

My top five:

1) McClane stabs Baker through the eye with an icicle
2) McClane takes out Franco's knees and he goes flying face first into a glass door
3) The guard on Simon's ship that gets cut in half by the cable
4) Hans getting dropped from the 30th floor
5) Marco getting shot up by McClane hiding underneath a table and then being thrown out the window onto Al's squad car

Last edited:
Definitely Die Hard with a Vengeance. I mean you can even look at the last few as them trying replicate DHWIV in a way. I love drunk and angry McClane. Loved zeus, loved gruber's bro, and I loved finally seeing McClane in his own playground for the first time. Plus I think Mctiernan just did the best job out of all the directors in the series by far.

I'm always surprised that Die Hard II doesn't get more love here. That is my second favorite of the series and felt the most like a Die Hard movie to me, other than the original obviously.

After seeing DH5:

DH1
DH3

DH5

DH4
DH2

Live Free or Die Hard, although I prefer the theatrical cut.

Definitely Die Hard with a Vengeance. I mean you can even look at the last few as them trying replicate DHWIV in a way. I love drunk and angry McClane. Loved zeus, loved gruber's bro, and I loved finally seeing McClane in his own playground for the first time. Plus I think Mctiernan just did the best job out of all the directors in the series by far.

I loved hungover McClane and how his biggest personal issue was a headache that wouldn't go away. Plus here how he's further from the whole hero cop stigma he had before. He's back to where he started but even further back.

I had to give it to Die Hard With A Vengeance. It's the only one that gives a logical reason for why John McClane would have to go through this type of ordeal again, Jeremy Irons is the best villain of the entire franchise (Sorry, Hans!, and teaming McClane up with Zeus (Samuel L. Jackson) was a stroke of genius.

I'm still kind of partial to Live Free Or Die Hard for three key scenes:

*Killing a helicopter with a cop car.
*The fight scene with Maggie Q
*And killing the bad guy by [BLACKOUT]shooting himself through a pre-existing gunshot wound![/BLACKOUT]

I'd go 1, 3, 2, 4 and I won't even bother seeing 5. I think all the first 4 films are at least good movies(yes, even PG-13 #4). 1 & 3 are ****in' GREAT movies.

I never thought I'd see the day when people on the internet complained about a Die Hard movie being too violent. It is Die Hard! It is supposed to be violent! McClane stabbing a terrorist through the eye with an icicle is the type of thing I want to see.

It's not so much the violence that's my problem with Die Hard 2, it's the films mean spiritedness. The villains are humourless and I think the plain crash is a major miss-step that leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the film, especially when everyone's celebrating at the end while the Windsor flight passengers are still cooking on the runway...

Without the hair he's no longer John McClain. Now i just see bruce willis being a superhero. I dont understand why he doesn't wear a wig? Thats McClains look. He wears wigs for other movies.

Anyway... yeah Die Hard 3 is the best besides the original.

I have to 100% agree with this comment....

I can easily flip flop between Die Hard and Die Hard: WAV, in terms of which one is the best. Although I saw Die Hard: WAV first, saw that may be why.

:o if I saw Die Hard 2 or Die Hard 5 first, I probably wouldn't watch the other films in the series.

My top five:

2) McClane takes out Franco's knees and he goes flying face first into a glass door
5) Marco getting shot up by McClane hiding underneath a table and then being thrown out the window onto Al's squad car

My favorite kills aswell, maybe not in that exact order. Maybe I'd swap one of those with Karl going finally down. Such a wonderful scene!

DH3 was a million times better than DH2 or LFODH. Didn't like either of those films. I have yet to see the new one, but my interest is very mild. It looks horrible.

My top five:

I quite like the Lift kills in DHWAV

I really like the 3rd one a lot. I also really like the second one too. To me it's really close because I like the second, and the third one a lot equally. The 4th one isn't bad, but I'd have cut or changed a lot of stuff of that movie. I also still think he should have kept his hair for any further DH films, even if it was badly receding, I just think of McClane with hair, not being completely bold lol.

Last edited:
I think Die Hard 2 is a good sequel , but Die Hard with a Vengeance had a better story.

Die Hard With a Vengeance is far and beyond the best. The other three (especially the latest one) doesn't compare.

Why is OP assuming everyone thinks the first one is the best?

Anyway, Die Hard: With a Vengeance. I had no idea it was so well-liked. For a long time it seemed like I was the only who really liked that one. I guess maybe these last two have given people some perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"