1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

The ballot is here! Voting will end Feb. 4th!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Action-Adventure Best Die Hard movie in the franchise

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Tg11, Aug 29, 2015.

?

Favorite Die Hard film

1. Die Hard

2. Die Hard 2

3. Die Hard With a Vengeance

4. Live Free or Die Hard

5. A Good Day to Die Hard

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bruce Wayne you've done a man's job, sir!

I think Die Harder is also worth a rewatch. I've grown to like it a lot more in recent years. Though it's definitely the least good of the first three.

2. henzINNIT Registered

The best is far and away the first one, of course.

I'll be a defender of Die Hard 4 though. It got a lot of mileage out of having old-fashioned John punching a bunch of modern action cliches, kind of elevating a bland script in the process. The final stand-off between hero and villain is my favourite since the original too. I could do without the jet surfing; they could have cut that, saved a ton from the budget, and had a better film for it. Wouldn't have a big shot for the trailer though, I guess.

AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.
  3. samsnee Ok

The 4th one sucked. They tried to repeat the buddy aspect of the first and third but it didn’t work with a nerd character. They made McClane an invincible super soldier rather than a lucky SOB in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  4. Deck Rickard #HeadlessSuperman

The fourth one came out during this weird period of time where Justin Long was suddenly in everything. I don’t really have a problem with the guy but it seemed like he was the go-to guy whenever movies needed a nerd character for a year or two. Haven’t seen him in a long time.

5. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

The original is superior and Vengeance is a damn good sequel with Jeremy Irons as Grubbers brother out for revenge against McClellan for killing Hans in the first film.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  6. samsnee Ok

7. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Sigh, that's sad.

It reminds me of one of my low key favorite things about Die Hard: the villainous comradery. Hans, Theo, and Karl especially seemed to not just be villains cooperating on a scheme, but people who liked and trusted each other. I could very easily imagine the story of Die Hard told entirely from their perspective, with McClane as a mostly off-screen hero antagonist.

AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.