Best Fight scene (not battle) in the MCU ?

Batmannerism

Super-unknown
Reaction score
Over in the misc thread the MCU's fight choreography is getting a
lot of love, and deservedly so IMO.

But, which is the best MCU fight so far ?

I'm going to draw a distinction between fight scenes and battles. To me a battle involves a group fighting another another group, and it's made of a bunch of fight scenes E.G. The Leipzig Airport fight in Civil War is a battle, but within that Cap v Spidey is a short fight scene. (the "best Marvel battle scene thread is coming). This limits the GOTG appearances as they mostly engage as a team.

In contrast a fight scene is one character against another, or one against a group.

Of course, those are pretty blurry lines, so really just have at it.

There's plenty to choose from, so I'll just list a few

Iron Man vs the Ten Rings terrorists

Iron Man vs Iron Monger

Iron Man vs Whiplash

Cap vs Red Skull

Cap v Batroc's mercs (TWS)

Cap v Batroc

Cap vs Winter Soldier (Highway fight)

Cap vs everyone in the elevator

Cap vs Winter Soldier (final fight)

Thor vs Loki (Avengers)

Thor vs the Destroyer (Thor)

Thor vs Loki (Thor)

Iron Man v Thor (Avengers)

Iron Man v Hulk (Avengers AoU)

Batman v Superman.....just kidding.

Dr Strange vs Scott Adkins Zealot (Dr Strange)

Ant Man v Falcon (Ant Man)

Anyway, you get the idea, talk about drama, tension choreography whatever you like ....and go !

Cap vs Bucky on the highway.

Mostly for the choreography and the intensity of it all. Might be the most intense fight I've ever seen, the use of the knife in particular (granted I haven't seen many martial arts movies).

I don't like the movie as much as most, but the fight scene is just awesome.

a
Cool. The poll is now up.

As for myself, have to go with a top 5. I find that MCU's directors or whoever works out their fights are very creative, as they often put an interesting twist
on what would otherwise be a pretty straightforward smackdown. So, some of these I chose just for innovation.

5- Dr Strange v Zealot (astral fight scene) it combined humour and nifty
effects, an interesting idea.

4- Hulkbuster v Hulk. This has always been coming and really brought an epic feeling with all its destruction.

3 - Cap vs everyone in the elevator, an innovative fight scene - you don't feel like Cap is in too much danger, but you do wonder how he's going to deal with so many opponents in a confined space.

2- Black Widow v Mercs, in the market in Lagos (Civil War). Whoever Scar-Jo's stunt double is she deserves an award. I thought it might be Zoe Bell, but it's not (I think the woman appears as a winter soldier). Anyway, watch this fight scene, the choreography is brilliant and she actress is very graceful
without making it seem dance-like.

1- Cap and Bucky v Tony:

Tons of emotional stakes, and an interesting dynamic arising from different motivations:

Tony is trying to kill, or seriously maim Bucky
Bucky is trying to survive/escape
Cap is trying to slow Tony down/protect Bucky.

Well choreographed, but not at all dance-like
You really feel it when Tony turns his rage at Cap's betrayal directly onto Cap. I also like that this fight goes back and forth, taking its toll on all the combatants. It's actually quite short, I feel it could have been at least another minute (which is a long time, in terms of fight scenes).

Still, it totally delivers on its promise and validates the central premise of the film - probably the most significant fight scene in the MCU, although somewhat undone by the final scene of the film.

honourable mention to Dr Strange v Dormammu for the best non-fight scene, which totally subverts expectations, but totally succeeds nonetheless.

Cap destroying the Quinjet, while "Taking a Stand" is playing in the background.

You seem to only be talking about the movies, but if we are talking the entire MCU I would have to go with the fight at the end of Daredevil Season 1, Episode 2.

If we are just talking movies then I'll go with Cap in the elevator.

[YT]yxwzr-V-iXM[/YT][YT]pfgmvMHc4us[/YT]
[YT]jqIBGEcKhGs[/YT][YT]F0IZWMM3zoM[/YT]​

Starlord vs Gamora vs Rocket Racoon and Groot could've been a poll option.

Starlord vs Gamora vs Rocket Racoon and Groot could've been a poll option.

Yeah, I kind of left out the guardians' fights because they sit on the blurry line of "battle" because you have multiple parties fighting each other, and in that particular battle, the individual fights are very brief - well in comparison to Iron Man vs Cap and Bucky.

But, as I said, it's a blurry line, so if you feel like that particular scene is worthy of mention, well why not ? It's very entertaining.

I suppose I could have also put in Star Lord vs Korath and Sakaaran goons, although that's pretty short too - but great fun.

In Phase one the action and fights were lackluster. They definitely stepped up in Phase 2 and 3.

My favorite is the IM vs Bucky and Steve from CW. :hmr:

The Daredevil hallway fight from Season 1.

Cap V WS (Highway fight) is the right answer isnt it, lets be honest :oldrazz:

Black Widow vs. Hammer's men in Iron Man 2.

Scroll up a little and you will see I agree with you. This thread however seems to be more movie focused.

Yeah, I should have been more clear when I set up the thread.
my intent was to just deal with the movies, but I suppose the DD fight scenes are certainly good enough to be compared against the film fights.

Cap V WS (Highway fight) is the right answer isnt it, lets be honest
Today 11:06 AM

Disagree, emotional stakes, solid choreography and a fight that tells a story make the CW final showdown a better fight scene IMO.

WS v Cap has some pretty choreography, and WS is pretty menacing but I don't feel like Cap is ever out of his depth or in serious danger - whereas Tony beats the crap out of him, and is only just prevented from administering a coup de gras. That fight is close, personal and nasty.

And of course there is no right answer, only the right answer for you.

Cheers.

BTW Marvel dudes, for a serious part of the Civil War airport fight the Vision goes awol, I mean he's clearly not fighting anyone, as everyone else has partnered off (except for Spidey, Iron Man and War Machine vs Giant Ant Man). Only noticed that recently - just a nitpick really, that sequence is still awesome and will be part of a battle thread that I'm going to start soon.

Cap vs Winter Soldier(Highway) which is probably the best fight scene in any superhero movie not counting the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy.

I do one to give a shout out to one of the most underrated fights:

[YT]ivLUcylQ43U[/YT]

I personally don't think Marvel have done too well with the one vs one fight scenes. Many of them underwhelm, and none have ever had my jaw on the floor like the fights in some other CBMs. The latter 2 Cap movie set have the best overall fights, while The Avengers movies have some good ones as well.

I just started an MCU movie marathon today with TFA so am going to vote after that. Right now the Highway Cap vs TWS fight would get the vote. With Hulk vs Abom, IM vs Bucky and Cap (though I have my issues with the power levels in that fight) and Thor vs Iron Man close behind.

"Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?"

My personal favorite

The highway fight in Winter Soldier is the easy choice for me.

Cap vs Bucky highway fight scene

Black Panther vs Bucky rooftop fight scene

T'Challa vs Bucky facility fight scene

Bucky vs Cap in the highway hands down.

"Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?"

My personal favorite

Yup, that is pretty badass, I mean coming from Cap who says it so calmly, but you that he's going to open a case of whoop-ass on those goons.

1. Hulk vs Hulkbuster Iron Man easily

2. Thor vs Iron Man

3. Cap vs Bucky in TWS

4. Hulk vs Abomination

5. Cap & Bucky vs Iron Man

6. Iron Man vs Killian

Last edited:
The Black Panther vs. Bucky scenes were awesome but too short. Cap vs. Bucky highway scene and their final fight are the winners for me. I would put the Tony/Cap&Bucky fight up there as well.

Cap vs Strike Team at the elevator (the build up with each member of Strike entering the elevator is excellent) , followed by Cap destroying Quinjet

I never get tired watching this scene.

Arguable, The best action scene in the MCU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"