What is your favorite Big 3 Trilogy (IM1-IM2-IM3 vs CATFA-CATWS-CACW vs T-TTDW-TR) ?

Cap for me. All the films are at least good but TWS and CW were just outstanding. The Russo's did an amazing job with Steve.

I think Cap's movies were the most consistently good. The First Avenger was probably the weakest of the three, but it was still a very good movie. I think TDW and IM2 are what bring down the other franchises, even though I liked both those movies, they were weaker films than even TFA, in my opinion.

However the first Iron Man and Ragnarok are in my top 3 Marvel films along with Avengers.

Iron Man for me. It's Iron Man, 'nuff said.

I don't get the knocks on TFA. Cap's movies and his development just kept improving.

Iron-man started great then had a weird transition before ending on a sour note.

Thor started ok. Then got a little bland but then rocketed back up.

Cap's consistency and development wins.

Seeing the poll, I am surprise that Thor has got more than Iron Man considering Iron Man has a first movie which I believe most fans still considers the best the MCU movie rank, while Thor, before Ragnarok, it is viewed as the weakest franchise in the MCU.

IM1 - 8
IM2 - 6
IM3 - 7

IM average - 7

Cap 1 - 8
Cap 2 - 9
Cap 3 - 8

Cap average - 8.3

Thor 1 - 8
Thor 2 - 5
Thor 3 - 9

Thor average - 7.3

Final ranking:

Cap 8.3
Thor 7.3
IM 7

Okay here's how I see these trilogies stacking up.

Iron Man (arguably the best MCU origin film - and a wonderful film in its own right- although I loved Dr Strange- and kick started the entire MCU)

Iron Man 2 : After such a great start............. a massive disappointment.

Iron Man 3: A mockery of a travesty of a sham of complete bollocks.

(I feel like this is the MCU's version of the Matrix trilogy, a great start followed by rubbish sequels).

Cap TFA...........ummmmmm, kind of lukewarm period film with a surprisingly lacklustre performance by Hugo Weaving.

Cap TWA, okay, wow this film actually made me start liking Captain America. Does very little wrong - probably the closest thing the MCU has to a Dark Knight.

Cap CW, my second favorite MCU film, it's great - the action is sublime and it actually advances the characters - particulalry Tony. A real triumph that succeeds where so many 3rd chapters fail.

Thor - Unlike many, I kind of found this film a bit boring. Hiddleston kills it and the warriors three are pretty funny. However, Thor's turnaround from bull-headed warrior-brat to more thoughtful guy, almost overnight......yeah, I didn't buy it. Kat Dennings was awful.

Thor TDW - again, unlike many I really enjoyed this film - didn't think Eccleston was particularly good but I liked the dark elves with their cool tech, and creepy masks. Again, Hiddleston kills it. Kat Dennings was again....awful. Still, I had a great time watching this and still believe its very underrated.

Thor Ragnarok...okay, another contender for strongest 3rd chapter ever. Towers over the first two films with its blend of humour and action. Far better than I ever expected. Having seen it a couple of times, I rank it a little behind Cap CW ( GOTG is my favorite MCU film).

So, in summary:

Iron Man, great start with disappointing follow ups.

Cap, lukewarm start with amazing 2nd and 3rd chapters.

Thor, lukewarm start, enjoyable 2nd chapter, great third chapter.

So Cap takes it by a nose.

Cap beats out IM trilogy and the only Thor movie I really liked was Ragnarok

The best trilogy is the Cap one, that has the highest quality movies.

But my favourite would have to be the Thor trilogy. I really love Thor 1, it’s Marvels most under rated movie for me. And Ragnorak was brilliant. TDW unfortunately brings it down as one of the worst MCU movies. But the other 2 make up for that.

It'd a tie between Thor and Cap for me.

Cap trilogy for me. I had hopes that Marvel Studios would do well with him, and the Russo Brothers have absolutely done an amazing job with the character. TWS is by far my favorite CBM. Chris Evans has really turned out to be a great choice to portray the character. First movie had some issues, but the later 2 more than made up for those short falls. I like that TFA was more of a period piece, but it was so great to watch the character evolve to be more. TWS I've probably watched dozens of times and the choreography just doesn't get old. The shield work in that movie is still such a joy to watch. CW's were good but I just enjoyed TWS that much more.

Plus I love how Cap's costumes have evolved. His outfit in Avengers looks rather silly by comparison now, but hey it worked at the time.

1. Captain America
2. Thor
3. Iron Man

Iron Man got the best debut among the three, but after that his movies got worse and IM3 didn't salvage it despite grossing over 1B. Thor had an okay debut but a terrible second, redeemed by the third. Cap was good early on then great, and ended on a pretty high note. I personally would rate Captain America's trilogy as the best in CBM, quite frankly.

The best trilogy is the Cap one, that has the highest quality movies.

But my favourite would have to be the Thor trilogy. I really love Thor 1, it’s Marvels most under rated movie for me. And Ragnorak was brilliant. TDW unfortunately brings it down as one of the worst MCU movies. But the other 2 make up for that.

Not disrespecting your opinion, but I just do not understand the hate this movie gets.

I've seen TDW many times, it's not the Dark Knight, Kat Dennings and the sidekicks are awful and the villain is a bit lame but it's more than redeemed by some great Hiddleston moments, the creepy but cool Dark Elf tech and a general sense of fun.

IMO TDW is a good film (not great but good) - at least as good as the first Thor film. I know many disagree, but I just don't see where TDW went so wrong. Hell, it's way better than IM2 (which is disappointing) and IM3 (which has a ton of facepalm moments - like the one where Iron Man almost gets taken out, at home (with a basement containing an army of remote control suits) by helicopters..........:facepalm:

Not disrespecting your opinion, but I just do not understand the hate this movie gets.

I've seen TDW many times, it's not the Dark Knight, Kat Dennings and the sidekicks are awful and the villain is a bit lame but it's more than redeemed by some great Hiddleston moments, the creepy but cool Dark Elf tech and a general sense of fun.

IMO TDW is a good film (not great but good) - at least as good as the first Thor film. I know many disagree, but I just don't see where TDW went so wrong. Hell, it's way better than IM2 (which is disappointing) and IM3 (which has a ton of facepalm moments - like the one where Iron Man almost gets taken out, at home (with a basement containing an army of remote control suits) by helicopters..........:facepalm:

I feel the same way, it's certainly not a great film, but it has plenty of moments to make it an enjoyable experience imo. It's actually quite liked by the GA, but the usual fandom hatred seems to drown that out.

Maybe they judge it more harshly when comparing it to the rest of the MCU, or perhaps the GoT connections with Taylor created unreasonable expectations? I don't know, I've always had a disconnect with others (extreme) opinion of this film vs. my own. Again, it's certainly wasn't great and was disappointing in a lot of ways, I just didn't find them as crushing as I often read online. It's solid. A step backwards for MCU momentum but hardly as offensive to the audience at large as some want to make out. Maybe that's it's biggest offence, it isn't even worth being that offended by.

Last edited:

Whenever people said Feige is a control freak and MCU doesn't let their directors have creative freedom, I'd point to IM3. Except for Perlmutter's veto of having Rebecca Hall as the chief female villain, this movie was written and directed by Shane Black and it showed.

I feel the same way, it's certainly not a great film, but it has plenty of moments to make it an enjoyable experience imo. It's actually quite liked by the GA, but the usual fandom hatred seems to drown that out.

Maybe they judge it more harshly when comparing it to the rest of the MCU, or perhaps the GoT connections with Taylor created unreasonable expectations? I don't know, I've always had a disconnect with others (extreme) opinion of this film vs. my own. Again, it's certainly wasn't great and was disappointing in a lot of ways, I just didn't find them as crushing as I often read online. It's solid. A step backwards for MCU momentum but hardly as offensive to the audience at large as some want to make out. Maybe that's it's biggest offence, it isn't even worth being that offended by.

Yeah, that's a very fair and I believe accurate description, I think "solid" is the right word.

Can you imagine the hate it would have got if it was released in 2014 after Cap TWS and GOTG ?
2014 was such a great year for the MCU !

It generally considered one of the worst MCU movies for a reason. The villain is awful, the plot isn’t pretty poor and it ruins the Jane and Thor relationship that while moving fast, was considered much better in the first movie. The humour is also pretty damn poor. The action is nothing spectacular either.

It’s not a bad movie by any means, but I wouldn’t consider it a good one either.

Everyone is just gonna say the Cap trilogy anyway.

It generally considered one of the worst MCU movies for a reason. The villain is awful, the plot isn’t pretty poor and it ruins the Jane and Thor relationship that while moving fast, was considered much better in the first movie. The humour is also pretty damn poor. The action is nothing spectacular either.

It’s not a bad movie by any means, but I wouldn’t consider it a good one either.

Was that a typo about the plot ?

Yeah, I still didn't find it anywhere near as bad as IM 2 or IM3. Must be just me. I guess there are also people who still insist that Batman v Superman is just misunderstood and too complicated for the GA...... so everyone's entitled to their opinions - guess I'll just have to accept that I'm in the minority on this one.

iron man seems to be the most standalone out of the 3 IPs, and I can't say I have a favorite trilogy but iron man 1 was awesome, cap2 was awesome, and thor 3 and 1 were awesome

Was that a typo about the plot ?

Yeah, I still didn't find it anywhere near as bad as IM 2 or IM3. Must be just me. I guess there are also people who still insist that Batman v Superman is just misunderstood and too complicated for the GA...... so everyone's entitled to their opinions - guess I'll just have to accept that I'm in the minority on this one.

Yeah sorry it was a typo

Yeah I think it's just a taste thing. Many cite TDW, IM2 and TIH as the worst MCU movies, but it varies as to which one people actually find the worst. TDW did win a recent poll though titled 'Worst MCU movie.'

Nothing wrong with being in a minority though, I like Zach Snyder's movies so know the feeling all too well :cwink:.

Cap trilogy easily. I love Ragnarok and like the first Thor but TDW ruins that trilogy’s chances. And IM was great followed by 2 ok/good films. Cap starts ok/good and then jumps to very good for both other films. Easily the most consistent of the 3 although CW enjoys a bit of an unfair advantage from all the added help.

At this point it's not even a contest anymore.
Maybe more interesting what people feel is the second best trilogy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"