Best Original Movie Score.

I just noticed something i forgot to put Lord Of The Rings : Return Of The King on the poll but ment to. Gee i messed that up. My bad people. I probably ment to put it where i put either Star Wars 3 or Pirates 2.
I forgot about Van Helsing i know people hated it but it had a great sound track. So didn't The Patriot, We Were Soldiers, Braveheart as well.

Leto Atrides said:
It seems like this list is all films with music that's entertaining to listen to on its own. Herrmann's scores were perfect for the film, but that doesn't translate to something that you want to actually sit and listen to by itself like Indiana Jones or Lord of the Rings. IMO, that means Herrmann was a great Film Composer, but his scores were not necessarily the best indepently of film.

With something of a compromise in mind, I'd say Last Crusade (though I am extremely biased in that regard). Most appropriate to the film is probably Vertigo. My favorite standalone music is the Jurassic Park Main Themes, but that doesn't mean it's the best.

Also, I'm not normally one to **** on others opinions but to whoever said Die Another Day, come on. Think about what you just voted for.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't really call V for Vendetta's score original. Half of it was arrangements and variations of the 1812 Overture (which already uses like 4 preexisting themes. Don't get me wrong, I love Tchiakovsky. Just saying). Not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination, but also not an Original Score. More adapted.
I listen to Herrmann scores on their own...

The Return of the King soundtrack was excellent, but the Fellowship of the Ring's is the best of the trilogy in my opinion. I can listen to it over and over without it getting old.

Has anyone ever heard The Rocketeer score by James Horner? I just heard it for the first time all the way through a few weeks ago and I think that it is fantastic. I think that the main theme for that movie is inspired.

Yes I really liked the Rocketeer movie and its music. That was with Timathy Dalton right. Now the reason i like Return oF The King Sound Track is because the credit song Into The West., But it was a really good score as was the whole trilogy.

Ah, I love Into The West, a perfect piece of music to finish out the trilogy with.

LOTR... lighting of the Beacon and Riders of Rohan absolutely beautiful pieces

Empire Strikes Back is the one of the only scores I own.

From Darth Vader's menacing theme to Yoda's soft, quiet theme. But my favorite is during the "Clash of the Lightsabers" the part when R2D2 opens the door and everyone runs to the Falcon. They use a lil bit of Leia's theme and it goes from there.

I even turned it into one of my Ringtones.

Although I do like Anakin vs. Obi-Wan and Battle of the Heroes from Revenge of the Sith. :up:

^ And Anakin's Betrayal is great too. IMO

Other :

Danny Elfman's brilliant score for Edward Scissorhands

Runner-ups : Once Upon a Time in the West and North By Northwest

You can literally not find a score that was better built from the ground up, almost in pace WITH the movie (as if the director himself was scoring the film) than Edward Scissorhands. I challenge anyone to find a score that does it's job better. It's almost impossible.

May not be the 'favorite' of many, but there's no better score because no score does it's job better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"