Biggest Oscar Robbery

The Chairman

Pimps' Main Prophet
Reaction score
The Oscars are notoriously controversial. Each year several of their choices generate tons of controversy.

Wha this thread is asking is, for you, what was the biggest robbery in Oscar history? In other words, what was the most undeserved win and what deserved to win in its place.

Me personally, I think it's when Dances With Wolves won Best Picture over Goodfellas in 1990. Dances With Wolves is a good movie and all, but, c'mon most people will agree that Goodfellas is way better.

What do you think it was?

"The Passion of the Christ" had a spectacular soundtrack..now John Debney was snubbed.

Annie Hall over Star Wars

hillary swank in million dollar baby over annette benning
hillary swank in boys dont cry over annette benning in american beauty

Andy Serkis not even getting a nom for Gollem.

Like there's anyway to really narrow it down.

Most of their nominees are pure ****, even the best ones are rarely deserving.

Hardly ever is the best work of the year even considered by the Academy, their too busy "awarding"(and I use the term loosely)tedious, sappy trash.

i remember one year the oscars did a poll for best picture of random movie goers. while most theater patrons hadnt heard of the nominees, most of them agreed the the best movie of the year was white chicks.

i dont know what that is a sadder commentary on, patrons, or the academy.

I still wish Brian Cox had gotten a nomination for his role in L.I.E.

Denzel Washington in Training Day over Russel Crowe in A Beautiful Mind and Sean Penn in I Am Sam. There's nothing I hate more than affirmative Oscars.

Tom Hanks in Phildelphia over Liam Neeson in Schindler's List.

Poetic Chaos said:
Denzel Washington in Training Day over Russel Crowe in A Beautiful Mind and Sean Penn in I Am Sam. There's nothing I hate more than affirmative Oscars.

Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman over Denzel Washington for Malcolm X.

silence of lambs over jfk.

just about everytime scorsese has lost, he was robbed.

There are many, but as far as recent Oscars go, Million Dollar Baby didn't deserve most of the awards they got. Nominations, yes, but it seems that their wins had more to do with the controversy, and the fact that everyone likes Eastwood.

Scorcese deserved Best Director, and for Aviator to get Best Picture.

Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan.

I mean, seriously, ugh.

CConn said:

I mean, seriously, ugh.

seriously that takes the cake

CConn said:

I mean, seriously, ugh.
Gotdamn thats horrible

Denzel deserved one for Malcolm X
Morgan Freeman not winning for Shawshank
Scorcese not winning one:down

lemony snickets a series of unfortunate events... FOR EVERYTHING IT WAS NOMINATED FOR!!!

Two more I just remembered

DeNiro not winning best actor for Raging Bull
Joaquin Phoenix not at least getting a nomination for Gladiator.

Leto Atrides said:
There are many, but as far as recent Oscars go, Million Dollar Baby didn't deserve most of the awards they got. Nominations, yes, but it seems that their wins had more to do with the controversy, and the fact that everyone likes Eastwood.

Scorcese deserved Best Director, and for Aviator to get Best Picture.

as much as i love scorsese, i think million dollar baby actually edged out aviator for me. if scorsese ever wins an oscar, i wouldnt have wanted it to be for the aviator. it was an amazing film, dont get me wrong, but not scorsese's most powerful work...though very powerful it was, scorsese can and has done better.

The Shawshank Redemptoion not getting any Oscars

Stringer said:
DeNiro not winning best actor for Raging Bull

:confused:

DeNiro1981.jpg

Scratch that one then. Heh he's rocking that beard:up:

BT18 said:
Annie Hall over Star Wars

That's debatable. Star Wars is a landmark in cinematic history, sure. But Annie Hall was intellegent, funny, innovative and moving. It's much more of a thinking man's movie than Star Wars. And it's still a classic. Saying that Annie Hall robbed Star Wars implies that it didn't deserve the Oscars it won. It was only a shame that they were both made in the same year.

I've always thought that the biggest problems with the Oscars were this practice of "make up" awards. I'm not talking about prosthetics and mascara.

Some examples: Morgan Freeman won for Million Dollar baby. He was good, but it wasn't his best role. His best roles were probably in Street Smart and The Shawshank Redemption, which he was not awarded for. Same thing happened with Denzel Washington, who got the statue for Training Day when he was robbed for his work in Malcolm X.

This happens all the time. Al Pacino got an Oscar for Scent of a Woman when he should have gotten it for The Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon or even Scarface. Tom Hanks should have gotten Oscars for Big and Cast Away, not for Philadelphia or Forrest Gump.

It's a silly political practice that has no place in a system based on merit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"