Biggest Superhero Franchise

DACMAN

The Spidey Fan
Reaction score
Movie, games, comics, all of it together. Which superhero would you say is currently the biggest?

In the late 80's it would have been Batman no question. In the 90's probably the X-Men, and around 2002 and beyond Spider-Man. But what about right now? Who do you say?

I'd go with Bats again. With the 08 movie, the new game, and the new fans it seems to have brought in, definitely Bats.

And what about biggest ever? Of all time?

I'd go with either Spider-Man or Bats.

I think it's Batman right now definitely. For the same reasons you say. I would have said Spider-Man three years ago.

It's amazing how quick it can change isn't it?

Right now it is Batman IMO. However things can easily change, I suspect that if IM2 is a huge success then many fans will be claiming that as the biggest superhero franchise. Then Spidey if the fourth is a success. Then Batman if the third is a success.

It is in our nature to be fickle. :cwink:

Well, Batman has two really good movies recently, and, judging from reviews, it looks like the new Batman videogame is perhaps the best game ever based on any superhero-comic. I don't know about the quality in Batman's comic books though. Still, at the moment Batman surely is the hottest hero around. Spider-Man was for many years my personal favourite hero, but stopped reading the comic after years of lame stories. And the latest Spider-Man movie was equally lame.

first half of this decade was Spiderman and now the second half is Batman

from Marvel to DC

I would think both Spidey and Batman are on equal footing, especially considering Spidey's the most recent franchise (the first came out in 2002). But the power of TDK was certainly shocking -- it outsold the first Spidey movie in terms of ticket sales (74.2 million vs. 69.5 million) and certainly domestic-wise.

I do think those two could be outdone by IM in two years' time, if the third Batman movie and Spidey 4 fail to please moviegoers. People like more new superheroes to see.

Currently Batman, of all time also Batman, he's had the most movies, TV series, possibly games too, although Spidey's had a lot too. I think the biggest thing that Batman has over Spidey is TV presence. Although overall Supes is biggest on the small screen, but he's only had two good movies and those were 30 years ago and his videogames have been horrible.

I'd say Batman with Spidey right behind him.

The only two that are even in the discussion are Spider-Man and Batman (which is pretty embarrassing for Superman, really).

Of all time? I'd give it to Batman, based on the long run he had and recent resurgence.

Right now? Batman as well. In 2006 it was Spider-Man by a mile... But I think Spider-Man 3 disappointing and (more importantly) TDK being a super-duper megahit changed that.

I do think those two could be outdone by IM in two years' time, if the third Batman movie and Spidey 4 fail to please moviegoers. People like more new superheroes to see.

I think it's inevitable really, there are a fair few on here who rate Iron Man above TDK, so if IM2 is a success critically speaking then these people will be staking their claim that Iron Man is the best superhero franchise.

Only the fanboys.

The Dark Knight is the biggest movie right now because well the series of events that happened to it.

It will be Iron Man 2 as soon as that comes out, then it's a wish-wash between Marvel and DC after that, with Batman 3, GL, Thor, Cap, Avengers...

Only the fanboys.

The Dark Knight is the biggest movie right now because well the series of events that happened to it.

It will be Iron Man 2 as soon as that comes out, then it's a wish-wash between Marvel and DC after that, with Batman 3, GL, Thor, Cap, Avengers...

Maybe, in terms of big budget films, but who has most videogames, tv shows, comics, etc.? Batman.

Right now it's definitely Batman, it could change to Iron Man next year though.

Isn't the question about "biggest franchise", not "biggest movies"? Why are we talking only about TDK and IM2? :rolleyes:

I say the Iron Man Franchise is the Spider-man of the future.
But in the next decade I suspect It'll be a Batman/Iron Man going at it. Not saying Spider-man won't make a return...but it'll be difficult to see where they go from Spider-man 3.

It terms of "Money" for a Franchise We all know thats Spider-man but in terms of one film thats The Dark Knight

I think it's inevitable really, there are a fair few on here who rate Iron Man above TDK, so if IM2 is a success critically speaking then these people will be staking their claim that Iron Man is the best superhero franchise.

There are some mods on other boards who claim that IM is the best superhero movie made, and that TDK can suck it. I mean, I get the praise people heap on the first flick (which deserved its success), but c'mon. IM is simply not as good as SM-2 or TDK. It's lightweight fun held together by RDJ's performance, but that's it.

IM-2 could change the game like SM-2, but I'm not holding my breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"