Black Panther Fan Casting

Discussion in 'Black Panther' started by Tg11, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Dboi Registered

if I was to go with an accent for Wakandans, I would much rather prefer the EMH voice over for T'Challa, Man-Ape and even when T'Chaka spoke for the little time we saw him before he met his demise. To me it is the the best Voice casting for the Black Panther character in any form of media. It mixes the English accent with an African undertone that makes the accent all together sound authentic

I just don't want the accent to be so thick to the point where its starts getting annoying and cringe-worthy to be honest and this is coming from a Yoruba Nigerian man here.

2. The Wakandan Registered

T'Challa and Klaw have been casted, so I'll focus on the rest.

T'Chaka: Lance Reddick

[​IMG]

Monica Lynne: Teyonah Parris. Make her a highly capable agent of SHIELD who works with Everett Ross. Add that she sings as a hobby, and she should be good to go.

[​IMG]

Shuri: Lupita N'yongo

[​IMG]

Ramonda: Angela Bassett

[​IMG]

W'Kabi: David Oyelowo

[​IMG]

Aneka, leader of the Dora Milaje: Danai Gurira

[​IMG]

S'Yan: Giancarlo Esposito

[​IMG]

Zuri: Kevin Grevioux

[​IMG]

Everett Ross: Martin Freeman (Freeman will be in Civil War, but we aren't sure yet who he will be. I'm assuming he will be Ross).

[​IMG]

EDIT: And definitely, the film should have African actors as part of the cast (which my fan cast somewhat reflects). Brings some additional authenticity and its a good look.

I doubt the accents will be anywhere as bad as concussion lol.

What I wonder is will we hear any of the Wakandans speak their native tongue? We've heard Batroc speak french in the MCU, so one can assume its a possibility?

#27 The Wakandan, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  3. Wylie Times Registered

Hold up, you think the voice of T'Challa in EMH was more authentic than the one in the Black Panther animated series series?

The guy from EMH was some dude from Brooklyn, while Djimon Honsou did the voice in Black Panther animated series.

4. Dboi Registered

Yeh I did. Brooklyn? Really?

Liked Djimon Honsou voice but was not really fond of it. Preferred Keith David version to be honest. Even Jeffrey D Sams was good

Shuri's accent however was unbearable. I don't know if people in the theater would want to listen to that accent for 2 hours

#29 Dboi, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  5. The Wakandan Registered

Then pray that Kerry Washington does not get casted for the role of Shuri.

I preferred Djimon's voice acting over the guy from EMH. Both were good however.

6. Chesterfield Registered

Dboi, you're Yoruba? As a Yoruba man myself I understand what you're saying as our language accommodates a flexible balance of mixing English with the Yoruba accent that makes the sound distinctively African but very easy on the ear to understand by anyone who understands and speaks English. I dont agree with you about Djimon's accent, its fine for me but i can see how maybe it's a bit too African sounding that may lack the universal easiness for audiences to understand him comfortably for long periods of time. Again, uts nit something I agree with but I can see how people may feel like you do.This may or may not be a bulls*** argument and could swing both ways but I understand what you're getting at. I just don't want another Will Smith concussion fiasco.

#31 Chesterfield, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  7. eon001 Registered

I hear what you guys are saying. The selfish African in me likes Djimons voice, but it's very thick. I had trouble understanding him as his character in how to train your dragon 2. That's why I suggested 1st and 2nd generation Africans like Oyelowo, Boyega and Ejifor. They have the authenticity of Africa with the understanding of England.
    Coincidentally Ejiofor and Boyega play Nigerians together in the same film "Half of a yellow sun". Ejifor's accent is the perfect balance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZsj_t1IFe4

8. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

9. eon001 Registered

I'll settle for the standard South African dialect that Hollywood has already gotten used to thanks to Neill Blomkamp. As long as it resembles an African countries accent and not that horrible Will Smith concussion attempt, or a bad impression from Jamie Foxx, then I'll be happy.

10. The Wakandan Registered

[​IMG]

I had to do it :D

eon001 likes this.
  11. Chesterfield Registered

I'd love that and I think the sensibilities that support the spoken language has a natural fit for someone like T'Challa. Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbajebosi a British born Yoruba man who played Wombosi in the Bourne Identity and used a Yoruba accent in the film. They even threw in a few Yoruba words im there which didnt match the English sibtitles *shakes head* but in any case, as he was playing someone who was loud, angry and not giving a f*** it was interesting to see a Hollywood movie really capture the cutural essence of the mannerisms to match the dialect. Nigerians are very distinctive Africans and I'm not talking about that 419 crap either.

12. SlamAdams Registered

T'Chaka - Keith David
    [​IMG]

Shuri - Lupita Nyong'o
    [​IMG]

Killmonger - Billy Brown
    [​IMG]

Malice - Danai Guirira
    [​IMG]

Man-Ape - Bob Sapp
    [​IMG]

Doctor Crocodile - Nonso Anozie
    [​IMG]

Zawavari - Barkhad Abdi
    [​IMG]

Namor - Luke Goss
    [​IMG]

13. Ghostcrow13 Registered

Can Keith David pull off an accent, I can't remember him doing anything other than his voice.

Got to go Denzel for T'Chaka and give him quite a large role and not kill him off till later on.

T'Challa - Chadwick Boseman
    T'Chaka - Denzel Washington
    Everett Ross - Martin Freeman
    Ulysses Klaw - Andy Serkis
    Monica Lynne - Tessa Thompson
    Shuri - Luptia N'yongo (this is unanimous right?)
    Queen Divine Justice - Angela Bassett
    N'Gassi - Forest Whitaker

14. David H. We’re not owed anything.

I could see Washington pulling a similar move as Russell Crowe did in Man of Steel.

15. Wylie Times Registered

Queen Divine Justice is supposed to be like 15 or 16 years old. :huh:

I think you're confusing QDJ with the Queen mother Ramonda.

16. Ghostcrow13 Registered

I really do, it's cos I was thinking of Ramonda but was looking at Divine Justice on Wiki.

17. Dr. Evil Registered

only way he would do it.

Lupita as Shuri is not unanimous, but is everyone's first choice. The popular second choice seems to be Danai Gurira of the Walking Dead.

18. Ghostcrow13 Registered

Seems like the definition of unanimous.

Gugu Mbatha-Raw would be a good choice as well if she isn't busy with Star Wars.

As for Denzel I agree he'd want a big part, but hopefully also some of these guys and gals will be drawn by the massive predominately black cast superhero film. As well as the chance to work with Coogler.

19. Dboi Registered

Dnezel as T'Chaka would be good but there is a 40% chance that it will happen

Same thing goes to Lupita N'Yongo because in an interview, she stated that she doesn't want to be typecast-ed to roles due to her looks which is very similar to how Shuri looks as well so if she doesn't get the role don't be surprised.

20. Dr. Evil Registered

It's largely based on Denzel's filmography that is why we have suggested a big role for him as T'Chaka. I also give him a 40% chance of it happening, but if it does, I could see him doing a "one-off" role and having screentime similar to Robert Redford in The Winter Soldier. Redford was a major casting coup for Marvel and Denzel could be bigger.

Not sure he would do it, but I would love to see Denzel play someone different in the MCU, just so that he can interact with SLJ and then have the Internet explode.

21. Dr. Evil Registered

If they ever cast Ramonda, I got a name, but I am not sure if she's going to be good for the role:

Taraji P. Henson

BTW when do we hear of casting rumors?

22. Tg11 Registered

I would go with either Taraji P Henson or Kerry Washington as Ramonda or actually instead of them I would go with Gina Torres

23. Wylie Times Registered

She way too young. Nobody would look at her and think she's Chadwick Boseman's mother.

Plus there are plenty of older black actresses that would kill at the the part:

Phylicia Rashad
    Lynn Whitfield
    Mary Alice
    Debbie Morgan

24. Tg11 Registered

Then in that case I would go with Lynn Whitfield as Ramonda and as T'Chaka, Boseman's father I would go with Ernie Hudson or even Keith David

25. TyBig Registered

I guess late summer or the fall.