Comics BND - Update? Mephisto kept his word?

Hrm. It still sounds a bit far fethced to me [granted, gaining powers from a radiated/totemistic/genertically altered spider is AS far fetched] but hey, I guess I'd gotten tired of the 'Oh No! I've run out of webbing!' scenario.

Quick question concerning where Peter's powers come from.

JMS wrote that Peter's blood was no longer irradiated after several years.
(during the morlun arc.)

Dan Slott. Super skilled master of continuity wrote that his powers come from the radiation in his blood. (He had Spidey say this during new ways to die.)

Who's right and who's wrong?

Is JMS right solely because he wrote his issue first and it negates any further issues? Or is Dan Slott right because it's fact within past issues not counting JMS?

(during the morlun arc.)

You sure about that? Wasn't the fact that Peter's blood was already radioactive part of how he defeated Morlun in the first place?

(during the morlun arc.)

Dan Slott. Super skilled master of continuity wrote that his powers come from the radiation in his blood. (He had Spidey say this during new ways to die.)

Who's right and who's wrong?

Is JMS right solely because he wrote his issue first and it negates any further issues? Or is Dan Slott right because it's fact within past issues not counting JMS?

JMS is wrong... Peter's powers have always been "allegedly" responsible for Peter's Spider-Powers... he wrote that to simply "suit his story", like most big name writers are prone to do...

Using Mephisto merely as an agenda set is wrong.

Maybe... but it's not out of the question that Mephisto has it in for Spider-Man...

Donald & I have discussed this during the year, and as he has posted in this very thread, on at least TWO occasions in the past, Spider-Man has thwarted Mephisto's plans... so him going after Spider-Man is not out of the question.

And more importantly, what does that have anything to do with the fact that JMS was wrong in his writing that Spider-Man's powers are no longer a result of the radioactive spider bite?

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Your retort comes across as baby-ish, and I'm not really accustomed to you posting as such... so it sort of surprises me...

:csad:

You sure about that? Wasn't the fact that Peter's blood was already radioactive part of how he defeated Morlun in the first place?

Hmmmmmm well he reinfected himself during that storyline so he could beat Morlun.
but here's the confusing part. If the irradiation was no longer needed for him to keep his powers than that's what led me to believe that yes, it transferred his powers to his body. but his blood "calmed down" after a few years. I accepted this because it added to the story...I never saw it as taking away from it.

JMS is wrong... Peter's powers have always been "allegedly" responsible for Peter's Spider-Powers... he wrote that to simply "suit his story", like most big name writers are prone to do...

True. Kind of like how Ezekiel was the only Spider-like person he's fought beside. ever. :whatever:

I just thought this was an interesting thing....Its always kinda bugged at me since I read that NWTD issue.

Deep down I believe his blood is irradiated and that is how he has his powers. I've read that everywhere else. Even during the pregnant maryjane storyline and the dark reign story. Spidey killed her with his radioactive love juices....haha.

yay im gone for a week and come back to find another thread about *****ing from both sides

People come back fromthe "dead" all the time in the Marvel Universe, so that in no way is something special due to a deal with the devil here.

They are missing lots of stories here, by not following up on this new world created by Pete and the Devil.

BUt, it was a quick reboot, not a story to be logically followed up on or follow thru with new logical storys that deal with the DEAL. Instead, we've got hip 70's stories, again.

If they were brave, they'd deal with the torment Pete feels when he looks at a girl, because deep down his soul still remembers he is MARRIED, like they said, but they would be hush hush...because they do not want us to think about MJ...outta site, outta mind...never married.

If they wanted a bold new sotry idea never done before..have Aunt May find out she owes her life to the devil, and the hatred she'd feel towards Pete, and that would be a relationship between the two of them never explored before! NEver! THAT WOULD BE NEW.

Or...have PEte's life go downt he tubes in every way possible..showing how deals with the devil NEVER work.

But that is that ULTIMATE PROBLEM here with this reboot...it was merely a means to an end to reboot the world. It wasn't meant to bring new stories or any logical follow thru. Joe didn't want the marriage..so poof! The end. Happy New Day. Let's forget about the devil deal, smile, and pretend it's all the same and nothing ever happened...

This is brilliant! I like the idea of the deal with the devil not working. Having Peter's life come down all around him (regaining his memory back). Having Aunt May detest Peter because she owes her life to the devil. That way, Peter has NO ONE to turn to when his life goes to Hell (working under the premise that MJ still doesn't have her memory back). Spidey is at his best when his back is up against the wall (despite what recent stories show). There would be a great arc of stories as a result.

The Beyonder used Spider-MAn to be his champion against Mephisto's champion. Spidey won. Mephisto obviously, hates Spidey because of that.

Spider-Man was Mephisto's champion, not Beyonder's.

He wanted Spider-Man to win. If he didn't, Beyonder was going to destroy everything, starting with Mephisto's realm.

Your retort comes across as baby-ish, and I'm not really accustomed to you posting as such... so it sort of surprises me...

:csad:

Says the guy who said "poo to you". :o:word::oldrazz:

And it was a reference to the thread title...it's about Mephisto. I was merely sticking to the thread topic...I wasn't DIRECTLY replying to the shooter argument. Yeah.

Spider-Man was Mephisto's champion, not Beyonder's.

Aloha,
I was waiting for someone to correct that glaring error:applaud. I've also been waiting for someone to acknowledge the continuity of Mephisto to Spider-Man.While it's true that Spider-Man was Mephisto's champion, it was the Beyonder who PICKED him.The Beyonder picked Zarathos because Zarathos HATED Mephisto for imprisoning him. Not exactly a Champion. It also shows where the Beyonder WIPED OUT ALL MEMORY of the days events in the Multi-verse. The whole story happened in Amazing Spider-Man #273 and 274.Which was a part of Secret Wars II.
BTW-Welcome to the Hype
Spidey rules

Last edited:
Dumbest part of the whole thing: Peter strikes a deal to undo everything that has led to May getting shot at the expense of his marriage. Mephisto complies and rewrites time. But what Peter doesnt consider is that Mephisto being who he is will undoubtedly manipulate events so that May dies shortly anyway (except Marvel won't write that of course because frail old May instead of the May we've come to know over the last three years or so fits in better with Peteres inability to have dates, be Spidey, hold down a job etc).

You know, like he undoes everything and then orchestrates a bus to run her down six months down the line or something thereby getting the marriage and having the last laugh.

Ya woulda thought a smart guy like Pete would think of that. Like that diabolical movie Bedazzled where Fraser wishes to be rich and powerful so Hurley makes him a drug baron - wish granted, just not with the eventual outcome he imagined.

VuMania: This is brilliant! I like the idea of the deal with the devil not working. Having Peter's life come down all around him (regaining his memory back). Having Aunt May detest Peter because she owes her life to the devil. That way, Peter has NO ONE to turn to when his life goes to Hell (working under the premise that MJ still doesn't have her memory back). Spidey is at his best when his back is up against the wall (despite what recent stories show). There would be a great arc of stories as a result.

Yeh, there are lots of ACTUAL new stories they could do that are just LOGICAL follow thru's to the story they started.

INstead we get reboot retreads.

The ideas i brought up have NEVER been done before, and since they DID do a DEVIL DEAL story....they should be responsible and actually follow thru and USE their idea to it's FULL extent! Instead, the lack of use, and trying to pretend their own story/deal never happened, because it was jsut a means to an end, it only cheapens this direction even more, imo.

I think that's a pretty cool idea, too. Something tells me Quesada and his "brain trust" won't touch it, though. They've been planning so long to get rid of the marriage, and I don't see them revisiting the deal anytime soon.

Yeah. It's shameful...there's actualy a good dramatic story to be told there.

Aloha,
I was waiting for someone to correct that glaring error:applaud. I've also been waiting for someone to acknowledge the continuity of Mephisto to Spider-Man.While it's true that Spider-Man was Mephisto's champion, it was the Beyonder who PICKED him.The Beyonder picked Zarathos because Zarathos HATED Mephisto for imprisoning him. Not exactly a Champion. It also shows where the Beyonder WIPED OUT ALL MEMORY of the days events in the Multi-verse. The whole story happened in Amazing Spider-Man #273 and 274.Which was a part of Secret Wars II.
BTW-Welcome to the Hype
Spidey rules

Wait....Beyonder wiped out all memory of the days in the Multi-verse?? But...but...didn't all of those people wonder what happened to those missing days?? :wow::woot:

Wait....Beyonder wiped out all memory of the days in the Multi-verse?? But...but...didn't all of those people wonder what happened to those missing days?? :wow::woot:

The internet wasn't around back then... at least, not to the common reader...

:whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

:cwink:

Aloha,
The Beyonder is near omnipotent( at least according to his bio), he can mess with space and time.Many people disliked Secret Wars II and I'm in that number. I had to go back and start reading certain issues to get a handle on some of the things in OMD. Memory wipe & Mephisto-ALL DONE BEFORE(1986).
I also think that issue 666 will deal with Mephisto.Just don't forget, neither MJ nor Peter signed any contract with Mephisto.He does not own their souls.PM me regarding issue 274 if you don't have it.
Spidey rules

Aloha,
Just don't forget, neither MJ nor Peter signed any contract with Mephisto.He does not own their souls.PM me regarding issue 274 if you don't have it.
Spidey rules

In part three of OMD, Mephisto mentions the reason he's not interested in bargaining for Peter's soul is because he may end up getting it anyway as a result of the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"