Comics Regarding BND etc...spoilers inside

Eternalzero

Grand Master of Yum
Reaction score
I've just recently jumped onto the marvel subscription bandwagon (just received the last issue of OMD 2 days ago....) and have a lot of questions. It's a lengthy post but I figure a good place for the continuation of the BND discussion. Now I don't completely hate OMD/BND because the intentions behind them are sound, I just am merely discussing this new era of spidey. First off, my questions!

Questions:

1. Why was it decided to spare Aunt May's life? was their reasoning if we found each other once we can find each other again?

2. The supposed "daughter" was she the same one from the pregnancy from "x" number years ago, a completely different character who will "never be" because they aren't together anymore

3. Mephisto, who is this guy? This guy can change time, screw with people etc.... f*** this guy. What is he good for?

The biggie question:
4. So they erased the last 10-20 years of spider-man books. okay. Because the characters and stories from the other books were connected (as obvious through civil war), does it mean that this reversal affects the entire universe or just spidey's life? Basically, it was said that one alteration to an event can change the entire outcome etc..of the future. So, that means that spidey is now living in a parallel future or the entire universe was reset to that state? WTF is going on?

Comments:

I believe that Amazing spider-man was running out of steam. Seriously though, Amazing spider-man is an adult comic, we want a "future peter parker" and evolving peter parker, not one that goes back. If we wanted young, single, confused, hormonal Peter we'd pick up Ultimate spider-man, but we don't.

Secondly, I don't mind seeing the reinvention of classic characters and villains, poor poor Eddie Brock and Venom's story, the symbiote and Mac Gargan, all awful. So it will be nice to see the Spider-man universe continuing. However the way they went about Peter acting out of character, revealing himself to the entire world for reasons stated in other threads and him having to choose which fate to undergo is just.... dumb. There could've been better writing for this continuity shift.

Thirdly, if they were going to delete the last 10-20 years of history, why wasn't Spider-man's universe turning into "what if?" Really they had free reign on what to do with his life considering it was going to get deleted so why didn't we see important stuff happening this last half a year, year? What was the point of the spider-god and acquisition of new powers? What about Parker's empty threat to Fisk in Back in Black?

So...if they didn't turn his universe to hell...... do you think that might actually mean that he might eventually return to this continuity and not be stuck in OMD? Just something to think about.

And Lastly... Mary Jane Watson. She was just about the only good thing left in Peter's life. I honestly would've committed suicide by now had I been Peter, his life is awful. Yet she was what made it worth it. Figuratively speaking, she is one of the most powerful fictional women and historical icon. She was a strong willed female, a very powerul female figure yet she had no superpowers.

...until now, now she'll end up having stupid powers like every other big breasted female in comics.

Final Thoughts:

I've been a spidey fan since I was very young, and seeing this new direction that they're taking spidey is a little exciting (if done right) but not under the conditions that we'd all like. There's been a lot of bad writing over the last decade or so and changes and events have happened to characters that are just irreversible up until now.

Will there ever be a silver age of comics for spidey again especially now that it's 3 times a month? No, I really doubt it. We're going to have rushed incomplete stories, but hopefully in the future, we'll get to see Peter and Mary Jane reunited once again. I'm just going to wait out my subscription and I'll be done w/ spider-man I think.

for those of you who dont want to read all that, here's a summary...

f**k One More Day, f**k Brand New Day, and f**k Joe Quesada

1. Why was it decided to spare Aunt May's life? was their reasoning if we found each other once we can find each other again?

2. The supposed "daughter" was she the same one from the pregnancy from "x" number years ago, a completely different character who will "never be" because they aren't together anymore

3. Mephisto, who is this guy? This guy can change time, screw with people etc.... f*** this guy. What is he good for?

The biggie question:
4. So they erased the last 10-20 years of spider-man books. okay. Because the characters and stories from the other books were connected (as obvious through civil war), does it mean that this reversal affects the entire universe or just spidey's life? Basically, it was said that one alteration to an event can change the entire outcome etc..of the future. So, that means that spidey is now living in a parallel future or the entire universe was reset to that state? WTF is going on?

1. Yeah, that was apparently there reasoning. Which didnt really pan out.

2. We dont know.

3. Mephisto is a demon, the same one in fact who gave Ghost Rider his powers, and has been his arch-foe for years. Pretty much the devil.

4. "it's magic, we dont have to explain it"

ah I see, thanks joker for the reply. it was a lengthy post and I figured most wouldn't want to read it.

Ah, so mephisto is the guy from ghost rider? I see. Yeah your summary pretty much covers it.

Yeah. Mephisto has in fact never had this kind of power before either. Like I said, he's usually on the level where he gets his ass kicked regularly by Ghost Rider. But Joey Q decided that he was the perfect go to guy to cast a spell that erased 20 years of continuity, brought people back from the dead, took away several of spider-mans new powers, returned spider-mans webshooters, healed aunt may, made everyone forget about peters identity, and apparently put him in a position where the registration act no longer applies to him, from what we've seen of the BND previews.

Aunt May was kept around because JQ wanted to get rid of the marriage; there was never any intention to kill her. Aunt May getting shot, Peter unmasking - it was all a setup so they could tell this "story" and get rid of the marriage.

This article covers a lot of the OMD controversy and may help you (it includes links to just about everything you need on the web to get up-to-date): http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=142119

Thanks guys.

Hopefully something good will come of all this.

Still confused about the alternate reality etc... part. But we'll see.

Apparently, ASM #546 clears up some of the continuity issues between this new status quo and Spider-Man history as we know it. I would suggest waiting until that issue comes out (this Wednesday) before asking people who really don't know the answers themselves.

Apparently, ASM #546 clears up some of the continuity issues between this new status quo and Spider-Man history as we know it. I would suggest waiting until that issue comes out (this Wednesday) before asking people who really don't know the answers themselves.

Well, it's really just common sense.

I'll even go out on a limb now. I sent a question in to CBR for JQ having to do with the alterations to everyone's memory and how it affects the MU (yes, it was polite and respectful). IF it's chosen and he can answer that satisfactorily, I'll go ahead and promise to give BND a shot now - I'm that convinced he can't.

Well, it's really just common sense.

But again, I think it's smarter to wait on getting the answers from the actual comic as opposed to disgruntled fans who may be quick to reach conclusions that may not entirely be true. Not that you're one of them, I'm just saying there's a lot of misinformation going about regarding OMD, BND, and the effects they have on Spidey's continuity, and that it would be best to wait for BND to actually start in order to get some of those answers.

I know that ASM #546 has a short story (drawn by JRJR) that is supposed to explain (to some extent) to the new status quo and, at the very least, reconcile OMD/BND with the events of A: TI #7.

Anyone who says Amazing Spider-Man should be for adults only needs to ask themselves how old they were when they first started reading.

Otherwise you're Professor Frink rolling that bubble machine around telling kids "No you cannot play with it for you cannot enjoy it on as many levels as I can!"

But again, I think it's smarter to wait on getting the answers from the actual comic as opposed to disgruntled fans who may be quick to reach conclusions that may not entirely be true. Not that you're one of them, I'm just saying there's a lot of misinformation going about regarding OMD, BND, and the effects they have on Spidey's continuity, and that it would be best to wait for BND to actually start in order to get some of those answers.

I know that ASM #546 has a short story (drawn by JRJR) that is supposed to explain (to some extent) to the new status quo and, at the very least, reconcile OMD/BND with the events of A: TI #7.

I'm really curious to see what possible explanation they can come up with, or if they're just going to brush it aside and say nothing else is affected. If they go that route, that will just reaffirm my decision to stay away from BND. As I said in my question, it's like what can be seen in an issue of "What If . . ." because people have changed, or at least their memories have. And, after all, we're the sum or our experiences. Change that and you change who we are.

I actually sent in several questions, and if they don't choose that one I'd like to know why the current supporting cast had to be put on the chopping block for these new characters rather than rebuilding the old one. Not long ago in SSM, there was a 3-issue arc about the three most important women in Peter's life - if no one remembers he's Spider-Man now, OMD pretty much wrecked that part of his cast.

1. May - I think the majority is in agreement that May was never more interesting and viable as a character than when she finally knew Peter's identity. Making her oblivious to Peter being Spider-Man is a huge step back for the character.

2. MJ - It's already been confirmed she's just "the ex." Her future role in the book remains to be seen, but there's no way it can match what it was when she was his wife.

3. Felicia Hardy - Of all, I think this is the biggest loss. Love her or hate her, the Black Cat has experienced tremendous growth over the past decade or so, going from the Spidey-obsessed ex-criminal to one of his closest superhero friends and (pre-unmasking) one of the very, very few people to know Peter was Spider-Man. Taking away that knowledge CANNOT be good for this relationship. Will she go back to her "I only love Spider-Man" mentality, or will it be something new? Will we even see anything about her? To be honest, I see little room for Felicia in BND.

I'm really curious to see what possible explanation they can come up with, or if they're just going to brush it aside and say nothing else is affected. If they go that route, that will just reaffirm my decision to stay away from BND. As I said in my question, it's like what can be seen in an issue of "What If . . ." because people have changed, or at least their memories have. And, after all, we're the sum or our experiences. Change that and you change who we are.

I actually sent in several questions, and if they don't choose that one I'd like to know why the current supporting cast had to be put on the chopping block for these new characters rather than rebuilding the old one. Not long ago in SSM, there was a 3-issue arc about the three most important women in Peter's life - if no one remembers he's Spider-Man now, OMD pretty much wrecked that part of his cast.

1. May - I think the majority is in agreement that May was never more interesting and viable as a character than when she finally knew Peter's identity. Making her oblivious to Peter being Spider-Man is a huge step back for the character.

2. MJ - It's already been confirmed she's just "the ex." Her future role in the book remains to be seen, but there's no way it can match what it was when she was his wife.

3. Felicia Hardy - Of all, I think this is the biggest loss. Love her or hate her, the Black Cat has experienced tremendous growth over the past decade or so, going from the Spidey-obsessed ex-criminal to one of his closest superhero friends and (pre-unmasking) one of the very, very few people to know Peter was Spider-Man. Taking away that knowledge CANNOT be good for this relationship. Will she go back to her "I only love Spider-Man" mentality, or will it be something new? Will we even see anything about her? To be honest, I see little room for Felicia in BND.

I agree, Jackpot seems to fit that role of Black Cat now. And the whole continuity issue is just going to bother a lot of us repetitively, I don't think they really thought it through and the ramifications of BND are not going to be as smooth as we'd like. I agree, Peter is now living in an alternate reality, whether he just the only one doing so and the other superheros aren't, that's a good question. Do the other heroes/world still no of parker's identity?

Mary Jane was Peter's life saver, now we just get a hormonal, single Parker chasing women. Not very interesting if you ask me. I've said it once, i'll say it again, if we wanted that we'd would have picked up ultimate or another title. And I agree about Aunt May, she's just going to wonder where peter is all the time.

Hopefully things work out for the best.

In terms on continuity i think brand new day nudges certain aspects so the events happen in a similar way. For instance spidey didnt unmask but didnt register so he joined the anti side but why would he be living with aunt may, itiniospdsfdsnklf..........human brain shutting down........rebooting system......................I blaim superboy......superman primes punch.

I really hope that Felicia doesn't get lost in the shuffle of BND since she's always been one of my favorite characters. I've always felt that she adds alot to the character of Spider-man and it would be a shame if they just toss her to side in all this. Unfortunately it seems that Jackpot is going to be taking up the role that BC use to play so I really don't see a need for her in BND. Maybe Marvel will find a way to fit her in somehow but, like I've said recently with Marvel you kind of just have to expect the worse.

Spider-Man is dead to me. BND was a ****ing joke.

The real translation of what happened: Joe Q is a ridiculous fanboy, and he didn't like some stuff that happened before he was "The Man," so he decided he'd just erase it and start over.

We knew he wanted to get rid of MJ. While I think it's stupid, I could have accepted that.

But to change EVERYTHING?!?!?! He ruined one of the biggest moments of his much ballyhooed crossover (Civil War), ditched Spidey's new powers (which were cool, and finally put him on par with many of the other uber powered heroes he's let the office create), and erased years of memory from other characters?

BOO THIS MAN!

Dude. Crystal balls. Not time machines.

Yeah. Mephisto has in fact never had this kind of power before either. Like I said, he's usually on the level where he gets his ass kicked regularly by Ghost Rider. But Joey Q decided that he was the perfect go to guy to cast a spell that erased 20 years of continuity, brought people back from the dead, took away several of spider-mans new powers, returned spider-mans webshooters, healed aunt may, made everyone forget about peters identity, and apparently put him in a position where the registration act no longer applies to him, from what we've seen of the BND previews.

Actually, that's not accurate. In his early appearances in Silver Surfer, Mephisto power dwarfed Galactus (he claimed so anyways) and he showed multiple times that his power far exceeded those of the Silver Surfer. Mephisto could have killed Surfer at basically any time had he wanted, but didn't because he wanted the Surfer's soul, and killing him would only send his soul to heaven, or where ever good little Silver Surfers go to when they snuff it.

sooo... what about now???? any summarys out there?

Summary:

Peter and MJ dated seriously and almost got married, but didn't. He's too young and things were moving too fast. There was apparently some unhappy moments in the break up and they aren't comfortable around each other.

Peter is living with Aunt May and looking for an apartment, which he has, but he has to pay first month's rent tomorrow, which he can squeeze, but he has no job to go forward after that.

His teaching career is shot because he disappeared with no reason a lot. His photos are lousy and "look like he just set the camera on a ledge and walked away" so he can't do that, and his science career is out because he was such a prodigy until college, then never did anything with himself.

JJJ and the Bugle are going under with no Spider-Man photos or stories because Pete hasn't donned the mask in months since he's an outlaw.

Harry is back and dating the D.A.s daughter. Her room mate seems to be a potential Pete love interest since she's the same age and clearly somewhat of a braniac (she was studying what can be learned from looking in the mouth of dead people). She's on the forensics team for the police. She could just turn out to be a friend and ally on the Force like Jean de Woulfe.

MJ (we assume) is magically a super hero under SHIELD as Jackpot. Her body figure (okay, it's the same as all comic babes), red hair, and use of "Tiger" in her phrases suggest it's MJ. No explanation yet.

Aunt May works in a soup kitchen, helping out the less fortunate.

There is now a Spider-Mugger in New York. Just a guy mugging with the mask on. He mugs Pete and the aforementioned room mate outside a club and gets away with Pete's wallet and one webshooter he thinks is a watch. Pete chases him down, but loses him at the soup kitchen, which is when he finds out May is working there.

Nothing stupendous. The Spidey/Jackpot interaction that's bound to show up interests me the most. Will there be an MJ/Peter reunion without them knowing it? (MJ doesn't know he's Spider-Man either, after all).

You use these [ ] not these < >

So it would be like this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"