Body of Lies (Ridley Scott/DiCaprio/Crowe)

The trailers that played in front of my showing:

-Valkyrie
-Defiance (brand new version)
-Bedtime Stories
-Yes Man
-Changeling
-Pride & Glory

-TNC

Ugh, this might've made it worth going to see, might've. I only got Bedtime, Yes Man and Changeling.

I thought this was just okay, the two dudes that went with me seem to like it. I really could've waited to see this on DVD, and I had a feeling that would be the case. There was violence a plenty, it only got unbearably brutal, for me, close to the end.

Did anyone else think of "The Departed" while watching this?

I finally saw this last night. Got the chance to see Max Payne just 2 hours before it.

Body of Lies is a really interesting take on CIA spy movies. Unlike, Spy Game, this was more focused on the assets you need, more than falling for one.

Ridley has made yet another movie that I fell in love with since the first scene. Some of the torture scenes made me cringe, but the action was just awesome.

Leo, as Ferris, shows yet another side of him. The side of "hey i'm young, but my charm, wit, and intelligence and love of my job" can get me out of any situation. I thought his character in this movie was more convincing for Leo than the Departed. But that's just me, and I loved them both.

Go see this movie. It's well worth the 5 bucks.

I just saw this and I thought it was excellent. It's a densely plotted thriller that moves at it's own pace and is more about the business of espionage than it is about set pieces.

The movie operates in one large gray area, how much is too much ? where does the line get drawn between what and who can be considered expendable ? You feel Ferris' (DiCaprio) frustration as things spiral out of control.

Something I found interesting is that in a lot of movies we have seen the theme of how it is dangerous how much we rely on technology and what happens when it turns against us. Here we see what happens when we find ourselves unable to use technology b/c the enemy is using old fashioned methods of passing information, and in this war information is power.

The acting is first class, Russel Crowe is a cold hearted and slightly quirky power broker of a CIA operative, his congenial and yet ruthless approach to every situation is a joy to watch. DiCaprio gives another wonderful turn as the intense and slightly cocky Ferris, who bit by bit is broken down by the realities of what his job requires, the interesting thing is by the end he is not some righteous hero and Crowe some evil villain, he is simply a man with too much humanity in him to do the job, and Crowe is the opposite.

Now that covers the two mega stars, but equal to them is Mark Strong as Hani Salaam, the head of Jordanian Intelligence, he is both darkly charismatic and ruthlessly charming, Strong carries such screen presence that he is arguably the dominate force in the scenes he shares with 2 big names, he is totally believable as a man of power that holds a position of great importance.

If the film has a flaw it is perhaps the steady pace that some may find slow, there is only one action sequence and it is near the beginning. Some may also find the constant location jumping and convos through phones and ear pieces to be jarring.

Speaking of that one action sequence, what a sequence it is, executed with assured mastery one expects from Ridley Scott, and far superior to any of the sequences in the recent Bond movie.

This is another fine entry on the resume' of all involved, and the best true espionage movie since Ridley's brother Tony's 'Spy Game'.

8.5/10

Anyone think the terrorists using the cloud of dust to block the eye in the sky as pure genius?

I still wanna see this, the cast is great. Plus, I loved American Gangster.

It's a great film. HR pretty much sums up me feelings towards it.

I have to bring this up again. But I loved the music.

This is a "Body of Lies" thread...ya dunce!!!

No one talks about Inception in here. :whatever:

Have to say I thought it was pretty average, a film saved by the interesting (at best) acting displays of its leads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"