World Bono "talks up" Spider-Man the Musical

I would have more faith in this if Taymor wasn't the one involved.

AKA, Across the Universe was an embarrassment to the world of the movie-musical. I could have made a better film with my eyes closed, mouth sewn shut, limbs cut off and a man raping me.

It was as well put together as whales raping coral reef in the middle of London, Africa. Yes, it made as much sense as that sentence, maybe even less in a far more vapid way.

The Edge is cool though.

Okay, now I agree the story really was terrible. But the main reason for the movie was the music. It was boy meets girl- but with the vietnam war as an obstacle.

I'm interested in a Spider-Man musical. They wrote a rock opera back in the 70's. It's...um... trippy. But Taymor really does have good vision- albeit Spider-man is more about a boy than a really trippy rock boy. ...eh, It's going on, there's nothing to stop it...at most, we'll have something to laugh about.

porchmonkey your picking out one movie. i actually really liked the movie but either way, she has done more then across the universe. the lion king was a major success

Well Sturgess was one of the best parts of the mediocre ATU.

I'm curious as Lion King is a visual masterpiece on stage...but Spidey just doesn't lend himself to this great media, IMO. But the boastful Bono at least peeks my curiosity to hear the music and see some of the visuals. Not to go to NYC and plop down a $100 a pop...not unless it gets rave reviews, which given the subject and the quality of ATU...I doubt.

They start rehearsing in fall 2008, so probably it won't premiere before 2009.

have you even seen either of these people in anything before? you just seem to go along with the studio decisions or the majority all the time
Actually, yes I have. No need to get a little harsh there.

Weren't the leads from Across the Universe casted as Peter and MJ? I could have sworn I read something about it

time to bump this thread...

Wood Confirms She's MJ in Spider-Man Musical
Source:IESB
December 10, 2008

IESB caught up with actress Evan Rachel Wood, who confirmed she will play Mary Jane Watson in the upcoming "Spider-Man" Broadway show that Julie Taymor (Broadway's "The Lion King") will direct. Bono and The Edge of U2 are providing the music and lyrics. Wood says she will start rehearsals in June of 2009.

Click here for more on this, including who they are trying to convince to play Peter Parker/Spidey (Hint: We've mentioned him before).

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=5167
U2 reveal all about Spiderman Musical
Q, December 30, 2008

U2's Spiderman musical could open within a year, guitarist The Edge has revealed.

He and Bono have been writing the music and lyrics for the project which is being made with Tony-winning director Julie Taymor.

Speaking for the first time about the project, The Edge said a number of the songs had already been written and the musical is "in a pretty good state."

In an interview for the new edition of Q, he explained: "I think the musical had its heyday back in the '40s, '50s, '60s era. I don't think there's been anything that interesting done in it since...Anyway, we've always harboured this sneaky ambition that maybe one day we might try our hand in that area."

Since hooking up with Taymor, who won Tonys for her work on Disney's Lion King, Bono and The Edge have teamed up with scriptwriter Glenn Berger. "He's come up with some great dialogue. The overall story was really Julie working with Glenn, and Bono and myself riding shotgun with the odd idea here and there -- as they do for the songs.

"We love to delve into other people's creative worlds and figure out how it all happens. We've written a lot of the songs at this point. It's in a pretty good state, and I hope it'll open this year. We're not sure where in the world, but most likely it will be in New York."

It is not the first time U2 have been associated with a comic book movie -- they wrote the theme for Batman Forever, "Hold Me Thrill Kiss Me Kill Me" which featured an animated version of the band in the promo.

The guitarist said he and Bono would be around for a "good few weeks" of the rehearsals: "There won't be a full orchestra -- it'll be something like 18 or 20 musicians: string players, brass, some woodwind. The core will be a rock 'n' roll band. But it is going to be interesting to write for other people. We have already written a lot of songs that are for women to sing. That's a whole other set of challenges, to write in the right key and all those technical things."

© Q, 2008.

Have to admit I guess I'm in the minority of people who don't care for U2 but I've heard great things about the cast and director. Would be very interested in this show because of subject matter and what I've heard of them. We haven't been to the city for a show since the boys were born. Might be a good reason to get back.

I'm not familiar with "Across the Universe" but again,....I look forward to this musical. And I hold optimistic, but guarded trepidation about the project.

I can't stand Julie Taymor, Across the Universe, Jim Sturgess, or Evan Rachel Wood. I can't wait to see how this blows up in my face and how many obnoxious theater girls start pretending to know about Spider-Man.

Okay,....well don't know any of the people involved. . . .but again I look forward to the project. Broadway, like everything else right now, is struggling. Maybe this'll be so big it infuses it with some real juice and jump starts it again.

so its confirmed.... Jim Sturgess will be playing peter.

at first...he was undecided yet.

is October the start of the preparation/practice or the play will start in October??

They usually do previews in September and October - open mid to late October. Or that's been my experience. That gives time for fine tuning and refining, gives the actors a chance to find their rhythms and so forth.

I'm sorry, I love Spidey and I like U2 and Bono, but this is just ridiculous. :hehe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"