Sequels Spider-Man 5 & 6

Gabe99

Sidekick
Reaction score
From Variety:

Sony sets writer to spin 'Spider-Man' - James Vanderbilt to pen upcoming sequels

MICHAEL FLEMING said:
As Sony Pictures Entertainment preps a fourth installment of "Spider-Man" to begin production early next year, the studio has quietly engaged screenwriter James Vanderbilt to pen "Spider-Man 5" and "Spider-Man 6."

Vanderbilt was the first writer on "Spider-Man 4." Director Sam Raimi brought on "Rabbit Hole" playwright David Lindsay-Abaire to rewrite him, and Gary Ross is now rewriting that script. The studio is enthusiastic about where it stands as the picture begins prepping for an early 2010 production start for a May 2011 release.

Raimi didn't embrace all of Vanderbilt's ideas, but execs at Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios have. Vanderbilt has been hired to pen the fifth and sixth movies, which have an interconnected storyline. That's what was originally discussed when Vanderbilt signed on to write "Spider-Man 4," but the idea of shooting a fourth and fifth film back to back with the original cast was scrapped.

Sources said it was unclear whether Raimi, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst will be back. If they aren't, Vanderbilt's script would be the blueprint for a franchise reboot. After committing to his fourth "Spider-Man" film, Raimi signed on to direct a new franchise based on the massively multiplayer role-playing online computer game "World of Warcraft" for Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. Maguire and Dunst were locked into the first three pictures and made a new deal for "Spider-Man 4." It's unclear how long they want to continue with the series.

Then again, Raimi was initially doubtful for "Spider-Man 4" because he expected to direct "The Hobbit," but returned after Guillermo del Toro got the job.

Why is Vanderbilt writing when so many variables are undecided?

The most important thing is for Sony to prime the "Spider-Man" pump more frequently. The lapse between films has grown with each blockbuster. The second film came only two years after the first, but it took three years for a third installment, and four years will have passed when "Spider-Man 4" opens in summer 2011.

Sony Pictures toppers Amy Pascal and Michael Lynton may well have a new franchise following last weekend's strong opening of "District 9." And after "Angels and Demons" grossed some $500 million worldwide, they will certainly move forward and extend the "Da Vinci Code" franchise with an adaptation of Dan Brown's fall publishing release, "The Lost Symbol." But "Spider-Man" remains the studio's most important film franchise, and Sony doesn't want to wait half a decade for the next outing.

While the "Spider-Man" movie business is booming, Sony has widenedits footprint on the franchise and become one of the investors in the Broadway musical version of the webslinger; the "Spider-Man, Turn off the Dark" tuner recently experienced a funding hiccup on the way to a planned March premiere.

Although there's been speculation that the show, which will cost upward of $35 million to produce, may not get off the ground, the project is too important to the "Spider-Man" partners to be tabled, sources said. The musical has "The Lion King" director Julie Taymor and songs by U2's Bono and the Edge.

Vanderbilt's most recent script credits are the Sylvain White-directed "The Losers" for Warner Bros. and David Fincher's "Zodiac."

MICHAEL FLEMING said:
Sources said it was unclear whether Raimi, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst will be back. If they aren't, Vanderbilt's script would be the blueprint for a franchise reboot.

What do you think? Should they reboot the series?

Wow, very interesting indeed. I actually really like the idea of 5 & 6 being connected. :up::wow:

I, for one, really hope they don't recast for 5 & 6.

Last edited:
All i would take from this is that Sony, liked what Vanderbilt brought to the table with his draft's on 4. So they want to keep it going and see what he would have for a 5/6.

Remember, all the talk was that 4 and 5 was going to be shot back to back as a connecting story and obviously that's not happening.

I wonder if Sony simply held onto Vanderbuilt's original story and let Raimi take the story in a different direction for Spider-man 4.

Raimi is done after Spidey 4 is what I get from this article. Spidey 4 is his swan song and the studio is happy to let him attempt it. Probably the end of Maguire/Dunst as well.

James Vanderbilt To Write Spider-Man 5 and 6

spider-man-3-20070417024827808.jpg

Last month Sam Raimi hired Gary Ross to rewrite Rabbit Hole playwright David Lindsay-Abaire’s draft of Spider-Man 4, original draft penned by James Vanderbilt. Tonight it has been revealed that Sony has hired another screenwriter to take on the webbed Marvel superhero. But not for the fourth film… Sony has hired Vanderbilt to pen the next two films in the Spider-Man franchise, Spider-Man 5 and Spider-Man 6.

According to Variety, Sony Pictures Entertainment liked Vanderbilt’s ideas so much, that they’ve brought him back for two more films, which will feature an interconnected storyline. When James was hired to write the screenplay for the fourth film, the initial plan was to create a fifth story that could also be shot back-to-back. But the idea was scrapped after it became too much of an ordeal to get the entire original cast and creative team to return.

What’s really strange is that Sony still isn’t sure they’ll be back for the fifth and sixth films, and Vanderbilt has apparently been advised that his scripts could be used as the last two parts of the second Spider-Man trilogy or a blueprint for a complete franchise reboot. Either way, it doesn’t sound like the best way to enter into the story development process. Getting the principal members back for a fourth film seemed almost impossible, but the pieces somehow came together in the end. I would be surprised if Raimi and Maguire returned for two more.

Shooting two films back-to-back is the smartest thing Sony could possibly do, as the film’s sequels have been coming increasingly far apart, due mostly to convincing the cast and crew to return. Marvel is revolutionizing this idea by signing cast members to record multi-picture deals at the start. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the first Superhero trilogy, to be shot back-to-back-to-back, greenlit in the next few years.

Spider-Man 4 is gearing to begin production early 2010, and has a scheduled release fate of May 6th 2011.

- /film

Well I hope thats just the preliminary stages for a Spider-Man reboot. I think after SM4 the Raimi series should wrap up.

Woops, this has already been posted in the sequels section. Sorry about that. move/delete if necessary.

I think it'd be amazing if the entire cast was on board for 6 films :wow: Wouldn't that be the first time a superhero franchise was able to stay so connected for so long? Like most of the Superman cast for 4 films?

Anyways, interesting news, I like the fact that they're just not settling for a 3 film series then --> reboot, they're thinking ahead and moving forward with the talent they have at the moment. :up:

Wow, good to see them planning so far ahead already. Nice to hear they were really impressed by Vanderbilt's draft, too. I've heard his Zodiac script was pretty stellar as well.

Well I hope thats just the preliminary stages for a Spider-Man reboot. I think after SM4 the Raimi series should wrap up.

Really good to see them planning so far ahead already. Nice to hear they were really impressed by Vanderbilt's draft, too. Hope it is. I've heard his Zodiac script was pretty stellar as well.

As I said in another thread, thisis awesome news! I hope the cast returns for 5 & 6. :up:

Or a Spider-Man Unlimited adaptation. ;)

Just joshing of course. I don't think Sony would have the guts to do that, heck not sure any studio would.

Plus its already pretty polarizing for the fans so thats something that we won't be seeing any time soon.

The trade adds that director Sam Raimi didn't embrace all of Vanderbilt's ideas, but executives at Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios have. Vanderbilt has been hired to pen the fifth and sixth movies, which have an interconnected storyline.

It's unclear whether Raimi, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst will be back for #5 & 6, but if they aren't, Vanderbilt's script would be the blueprint for a franchise reboot

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=58130

It's odd that Raimi had some issues , I hope this doesn't become a problem. Good news though , I'd rather see Raimi & co do all six. I'm getting to old to follow a reboot , lol.

i think that maybe Vanderbilt's script(s) have elements of more recent characters or events that Raimi doesn't dig, since he's a wee bit old school.

My dream would be to see Columbia and Marvel agree to somehow get Spider Man included into the Avengers somehow (not the first movies but maybe the 3rd or the 4th) and Sony starting fresh/or keeping the actors and have the villains in the 5th and 6th to tie in with the Avengers setup already started by Marvel and Paramount.

It would be neat and better for the Spider-Man series and Marvel studios and the respective studios owning these Marvel properties. I think.

But again this probably won't happen. More of a pipe dream. I can already picture studio politics destroying that idea.

Last edited:
Raimi is done after Spidey 4 is what I get from this article. Spidey 4 is his swan song and the studio is happy to let him attempt it. Probably the end of Maguire/Dunst as well.

I agree and I hope so. We definitly need a new direction

I don't see raimi coming back for 5 and 6 and I Hope to god that Sony considers a Reboot.

Oh god, we need to do something about the Superherohype comments under the article. People are already asking for Venom and Carnage if there is a reboot when Venom get's his own spin-off. And there are chances for a reboot but people are still refusing more Spider-Man films.

Has Spider-Man 3 really ruined the character Spider-Man? At least to all the idiots.

Sorry but I had to get it off my chest. Let's get back on topic.

Is anybody else hoping that Spider-Man 5 and 6 are setting up The Sinister Six? I think it will be an awesome idea to have The Sinister Six in Spider-Man 6. I don't know why so many people hate the idea. As long as they establish all the characters before they join the team. It isin't that hard.

Reboot doesn't mean Spider-Man's origin again. It just means possibly ignoring the first four and not referencing them.

Out of all the options Sony has for the 5th and 6th, I think rebooting is under serious consideration.

I'm ready to see someone else's take on the character and his world.

I can't think of anyone who could make a good Spider-Man film. Maybe James Cameron would consider it because he had his own idea of the character.

If SM4 is really good though do you think we'd still be saying this?

I support the idea of a reboot though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"