book/s

RandFountainhead.jpg
:up::up:

KingOfDreams said:
I can't tell if we're supposed to be listing a specific genre or not so I'm just going to list some books of various genres I think are great...

<list snip>
Looks like a lot of sci-fi there, which, along with fantasy, are the only two genres I wouldn't recommend recommending me. Eventually I'm sure I'll read some of those, though, so thanks for that.

The Joker said:
what made you go "no thanks," exactly? There's some pretty graphicly described sex and violence in American Psycho (makes the movie look like Teletubbies), but there's nothing really along those lines in Rules Of Attraction. And he has a wonderful writing style.
I don't know exactly. I guess somewhere along the line, I just got it into my head that his stuff was kinda intense and not something I'd like to spend my time reading. Maybe it's not as bad as I've built it up to be. I had a similar feeling about House of Leaves and ended up loving that.

kypade said:
I loved that movie. But reading a book after a movie kinda sucks. Yknow? I'll keep it in mind, though. :o

I read the book and saw (and didnt like) the movie. It was G-rated fare in comparison to the book.

A few recent ones that I've read:

Life of Pi
The Looking Glass Wars
Brain Plague

The latter was probably one of the best sci-fi books that I'd read in a long time.

kypade said:
I don't know exactly. I guess somewhere along the line, I just got it into my head that his stuff was kinda intense and not something I'd like to spend my time reading. Maybe it's not as bad as I've built it up to be. I had a similar feeling about House of Leaves and ended up loving that.

American Psycho is pretty intense. As an example, in one scene he's torturing a girl by putting a sewer rat *inside* her if you know what I mean, and then cuts her up with a chainsaw...so yeah, pretty intense, and the descriptions are all incredibly graphic...I'd say start with Rules Of Attraction and see what you think of it first.

There's this book my grandma read to me the other day. It was perhaps the worst and most blandly written work of fiction ever about some dude named God who created the universe. Anyways, I thought it was like that game Black and White, so if you're into that RPG-Strategy stuff, check it out.

The Tao of Pooh is a good book...if you're into that sort of thing.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, even if you have seen the movie

Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut is a collection of his short(er) stories, while Breakfast of Champions, Sirens of Titan (which kinds of reads like sci-fi, but it's really not -- I don't do sci-fi) and Slaughterhouse Five are my favourites of his full-length novels.

triplefive said:
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, even if you have seen the movie

Much better than the movie in my opinion, while the movie is good for sure. Anyway, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is a good book. As is The Gunslinger by Stephen King.

"Last Chance to See" by Douglas Adams

- it's NON Fiction about animals on the planet that are on the verge of extinction, Douglas Adams travels around and visits naturalists that let him "meet" the animals in their own habitat.

I've been reading a book recently that someone bought for me.

Women by Charles Bukowski

Semi autobio about his alter-ego Henry Chianski and his misunderstandings, dealings, and failings with women as just temporary fulfillments.

Since we're on the topic of books:

Write the very first sentence of the book you're reading.

HellOnEarth said:
Since we're on the topic of books:

Well, I'm currently reading my September issue of Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine... Skipping all the ads and the index, the first article is the Editorial by Sheila Williams about the 2006 Readers' Awards

Sheila Williams said:
There was little tension to be found in ballot counting for the 2006 Asimov's Readers' Awards.

The second article is "Reflections" by Robert Silverberg on "The Kraken"

Robert Silverberg said:
In a column published here three or four years ago, I told of the powerful impact that that great monser of the seas, the giant squid, has had on my imagination since I first encountered it as a boy of seven or so in Jules Verne's novel 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Erzengel said:
I've been reading a book recently that someone bought for me.

Women by Charles Bukowski

Semi autobio about his alter-ego Henry Chianski and his misunderstandings, dealings, and failings with women as just temporary fulfillments.

Bukowski rules. :up:

HellOnEarth said:

"To be born again," sang Gibreel Farishta tumbling from the heavens, "First you have to die."

lets go ahead and make your own thread for first sentences, unless you're also gonna post what book it is and tell kypade if it's worth reading. :o

Read these and become a real boy.

images.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

You want to know why the world sucks?
It's because these books are not globally required reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"