Borderlands 2

socool

True
Reaction score
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...vealed_3a00_-borderlands-2-75830-3458572.aspx

sepcoverblfull.jpg

I loved the first one, hope this one has more RPG elements, though, seeing as how it IS an RPG game...

I figured they couldn't just sit and let the first one just keep getting extended via dlc. People still play the thing several years later so the audience ain't dead.

Even though this game was surrounded by a ton of releases I'd been waiting ages for, once I started playing it, it actually put all those other titles on hold for me.

Lmao I just bought this game last week and beat it yesterday, awesome game imo.

Ah, Borderlands. I played the entire game, plus three of the DLCs with a friend, and it was such a great experience. Then I played the last DLC by myself. I could barely finish, it was just too boring.

This game is meant for co-op.

Ah, Borderlands. I played the entire game, plus three of the DLCs with a friend, and it was such a great experience. Then I played the last DLC by myself. I could barely finish, it was just too boring.

I've played nothing but single player, and loved every minute of it. I can't bring myself to do online play for things that involve looting and scavenging, as I don't like to worry about my pace, and I really don't like doing split screen locally. I don't see how it's boring in single player though, I think I've played through the main game plus all DLC at least three times now.

edit" ****, 2013? Goddamn that is a long wait.

Different strokes and all, but playing alone feels like a generic fps with a few rpg elements. The co-op, again to me, elevates everything. I'm a sucker for co-op anything. Eiffel Tower them *****es. :o

Personally, when I play a CO-OP game with RPG elemements I want it to be a soup with diffrent ingredients working together. Tank/Healer/DPS/Crowd Control e.tc.... It's the basic formula most MMO's use and partly what contributes to people playing them. I barely seen anyone using there ability's or being forced to work as a group beyond resurrecting other players. It kinda just felt like a mindless run and gun game that made practically no difference if someone was there or not. Players might as well have no bothered choosing ability's at all.

Borderlands is the game I have spent the most time with this generation. I think it is a fantastic game and will gladly throw another 60 bucks at Gearbox.

Different strokes and all, but playing alone feels like a generic fps with a few rpg elements. The co-op, again to me, elevates everything. I'm a sucker for co-op anything. Eiffel Tower them *****es. :o

The big difference for me is the loot system. I'm a loot fiend (and according to Pavlov, so is just about anyone). Just the right mix of random and significant loot hooks the hell out of me. The designers of this game certainly did their psychological homework. There was a neat little cracked article about it as well, where they discuss some of the pavlovian experiments with random reward with animals that perfectly exemplify this phenomenon, and I'm a huge sucker for it. Fallout does it very well too, which is why I love that series too.

While I consider Red Dead Redemption the best all around game of the last couple of years, I'll admit I don't play it as much as those two because the one thing it's missing is a perfect random loot system. You don't have that same urge to keep playing and playing in hopes that the next boar you kill might drop a gun with stats that line up perfectly for you, or is a one in a hundred thousand tiered weapon (like the pearlescent weapons in borderlands). It doesn't have that same flavor of random reward that has you fiending for more like in borderlands.

Personally, when I play a CO-OP game with RPG elemements I want it to be a soup with diffrent ingredients working together. Tank/Healer/DPS/Crowd Control e.tc.... It's the basic formula most MMO's use and partly what contributes to people playing them. I barely seen anyone using there ability's or being forced to work as a group beyond resurrecting other players. It kinda just felt like a mindless run and gun game that made practically no difference if someone was there or not. Players might as well have no bothered choosing ability's at all.

That makes me glad I stick to playing single player then, because in single player the game definitely forces you to rely on your powers. At least it did for me. Maybe because I don't really ever play FPS games. If you're an FPS god you might not need to use powers, but that would ruin half the game. This is an FPS game for people that hate FPS games.

The only incentive to play co-op, for me, was the better loot drops. Even then I only played 4 player co-op to beat Crawmerax and get the sweet sweet loot from within. Trying to play the whole game that way seems crazy to me.

The only incentive to play co-op, for me, was the better loot drops. Even then I only played 4 player co-op to beat Crawmerax and get the sweet sweet loot from within.

True, there is that. Although, it is insanely gratifying to beat Crawmerax solo. I've done it with Lilith and Roland. It was way harder with Roland.

Im playing through the DLC now. I was online and someone dropped a shield which gave me over 200 million hitpoints and regenerates health, basically making me invunerable. Best piece of loot yet!

Im playing through the DLC now. I was online and someone dropped a shield which gave me over 200 million hitpoints and regenerates health, basically making me invunerable. Best piece of loot yet!

Might be modded. My brother mods Borderlands and he's 13. :whatever: Thank God he has his own Xbox. I don't want that crap on mine.

EDIT: Wait, someone online dropped it or one of the enemies dropped it when you died? If it's the latter forget what I said, lol.

Might be modded. My brother mods Borderlands and he's 13. :whatever: Thank God he has his own Xbox. I don't want that crap on mine.

EDIT: Wait, someone online dropped it or one of the enemies dropped it when you died? If it's the latter forget what I said, lol.
A person online. Its on the PS3. I didnt think people could mod that stuff

Yeah it's modded. Someone gave me one of those invincible shields on the PS3 too. And I happily used it to finish the stupid Mad Moxxi DLC.

Last edited:

Probably modded then. I can't think of why Gearbox would give you something THAT powerful. But I don't know how you mod PS3 unless it uses a USB port. That's how my brother does it with the xbox...

Eh i thought the first one was pretty boring. There quite literally was no story but the side characters were fun at times. It had many problems but i could see a sequel being really fun.

Eh i thought the first one was pretty boring. There quite literally was no story but the side characters were fun at times. It had many problems but i could see a sequel being really fun.
It had a story. That was strung together through the missions and audio logs. It was easy to ignore though since you had to read most of it and I myself tended to just skip through the text when I picked up and turned in missions

The only incentive to play co-op, for me, was the better loot drops.

I think it failed in that regard as well. When I play Diablo, or generally RPG's games that are about progression, part of the appeal is getting various equipment with better stats, ability's that visually look better as you progress. Carrot dangling from every aspect possible. From what I remember it was a car battery and different colored guns. All the talk around all the countless types of guns didn't really amount to much.

Also I think picking a character didn't seem to make much difference beyond the weapon (even then it made little diffrence). The skills were never used. When I look at a game like Dues Ex which was a RPG/FPS how you choose to use spend points drastically changed how you played. Even games that are click-fests, your Armour build, health, skills generally change the approach to how you play.

Speaking of character as well, just using an art style alone doesn't make characters, characters. Not a single characters name can I remember. Look at Team Fortress 2 in comparison, that game has characters to go with the art-style. Hell man, even that game does a better job of combining skills beyond pointing a crosshair and shooting.That's kinda how Borderlands was to me, Team Fortress without character and Diablo in FPS format without understanding what made it good in the first place. Which is odd considering they probably had a 50-100 man team working on it.

I think you were just not paying attention, honestly, the guns had immensely important and deep stats to take into account, it was an incredible system, and incredibly varied. And seriously, play single player without using your skills, it's pretty much impossible unless you're just absolutely insanely godly at first person shooters.

Defeating Crawmerax solo? Now that's legit. Can't say I've done that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"