Action-Adventure Borderlands - The Movie

Just curious, but if this movie does turn out to be a steaming pile of dog****, why does Eli Roth get a pass? If his “vision” of the movie was what led to those supposedly horrible test screenings, well, isn’t that his fault? Even if there were too many cooks in the kitchen and they ultimately made the movie worse in the end, I don’t see how jumping ship late into the process to go make another movie (which also ****ing sucked) absolves him of this. The biggest red flag for me has always been Roth, so if the movie turns out to be garbage, a lot of that is on him.
Because Thanksgiving was well-received and did well financially to get a sequel. And watching the movie, you could see his passion for horror on-screen. He wanted to make that for years and he got his chance.

Any blame that could be placed on him for Borderlands just screams "gun for hire", especially since Avid Arad is involved. And we ALL KNOW how his output has been lately (Morbius, Kraven, Madame Web). The fact that Roth hasn't spoken about this movie at all is telling.

Because Thanksgiving was well-received and did well financially to get a sequel. And watching the movie, you could see his passion for horror on-screen. He wanted to make that for years and he got his chance.

Any blame that could be placed on him for Borderlands just screams "gun for hire", especially since Avid Arad is involved. And we ALL KNOW how his output has been lately (Morbius, Kraven, Madame Web). The fact that Roth hasn't spoken about this movie at all is telling.

Far be it from me to defend Avi Arad; that guy is movie cancer for sure. But Roth’s record is spotty at best. You’re right, Thanksgiving was well-received, though I have no idea why. I wish Roth would have leaned into the Grindhouse vibes that he more or less promised way back when he made the fake trailer (I loved that trailer so much I bought the T-shirt). But what he gave us was a generic, predictable film that (IMO) wasn’t scary or gory enough to work as a horror film and wasn’t funny enough to work as a parody. Maybe I’m an outlier on that one, but I thought that movie was terrible.

That aside though, even if he was just a gun for hire here, if he made a bad movie, that’s still (at least partially) on him. Studio meddling is awful, sure. But take Suicide Squad, for example. Despite whatever David Ayer says in bitter social media posts, I don’t believe for a second that his version of that movie would have been good. It might have been better than the Frankens**t that we got, but I still believe it would have sucked.

Last edited:
You can guarantee there will be an r rated cut on the home release.

I wonder/hope will Lilith gain her powers here?. There were indications in the trailer she would.

Apparently this is supposed to be the popcorn bucket for the Borderlands movie next month:

As a fan of the games it sucks they seemingly dropped the ball so hard with this one. Feels like it should have been an easy thing as well, like try and go for a Guardians of the Galaxy tone and make a light hearted adventure.

As a fan of the games it sucks they seemingly dropped the ball so hard with this one. Feels like it should have been an easy thing as well, like try and go for a Guardians of the Galaxy tone and make a light hearted adventure.
It's all Av Arad's fault. This, tone-wise should've been GOTG with Deadpool's R-rated sense of humor. But instead they watered everything down. I'm not blaming Eli Roth for any of this. He saw reason and bailed to make a much better movie. Arad is either too greedy or too stupid to throw in any towels.

Avi Arad being attached to this reminds me that he is also attached as a producer to the movie rights to Mass Effect. I dread to see what that movie is going to be if it ever gets made (and its been in development for a long time, so it won't be any time soon thankfully).

Avi Arad being attached to this reminds me that he is also attached as a producer to the movie rights to Mass Effect. I dread to see what that movie is going to be if it ever gets made (and its been in development for a long time, so it won't be any time soon thankfully).
As someone who holds the Mass Effect trilogy as my favorite game(s) ever, I really really hope nothing comes from this until Avi Arad has passed away if that's true. How did he even get his claws into all these IPs? I know he's had his claws in Spidey and some Marvel stuff for decades but if that's not worse enough now there's also Borderlands and ME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"