Bought/Thought 16/04/08

He's kind of a pointless villain if you think about it. His whole schtick is that he sets up elaborate traps. Obviously, the heroes have to get through those traps or they wouldn't be heroes, they'd be victims. But once they get through the traps, what's left? Fight Arcade himself? He's just a wussy normal guy. At least in the cases of similar villains, like Mysterio, the villains themselves are formidable in their own right. All Arcade can do in the face of a fight with superheroes is exactly what he did in this issue: run the hell away before they catch him.

In this case, however, Arcade was just a hired gun. He was asked to do all that crap to X-Factor because a dude from the Purifiers wanted revenge. Arcade wasn't really the villain of this arc. He was a means.

True. That's the best way to use him, really. He's a middleman villain. Keep him as a mercenary and he works okay.

Arcade's Evil Contracting Services: Successfully outsourcing psychological torment since 1978.:up:

I did kinda go "ohhhhhhhhhhhhh ****" at the last page of XFactor 30 though. That's a perfect cliffhanger end if you ask me.

Yeah, the ending was really good. What the story did for the characters as a whole was good too, but like BW said, the plot was kind of ho-hum.

I lol'd when Slott wrote Paris Hilton hiring Arcade to kill the Thing and his party-goers.

I was trying to figure out why I picked up and put down X-Factor 30 over 10 times since I bought it on wednesday, and this is pretty much it. Maybe next arc will be better. Arcade is just such a ... campy ...villian to me I guess.
I don't even really think that the problem is all Arcade. He feels so out of place here, true, but if I'm forced to be blunt, I could say the exact same about a whole lot of villains and arcs throughout this series. It's like we're introduced to a new flashy gang of rivals to deal with in every single arc, and each one makes less sense to the plot than the last.

This was an..."issue"...back in Young Justice and Supergirl at DC as well, if I'm forced to be really blunt. It's just that the characterization won out big in every instance, as it does here.

Noble Causes #32 - So, this is the bold new direction, Five years later jump which gives us a whole new Noble Family. Rusty, Zephyer, and the Doc are still there, and so is Frost and Rusty's ex, but now the Doc has a new wife, and a couple of step kids. Plus Zeph has married one of the Blackthorne crime family, if everything wasn't freaky enough. This issue was okay. Made me want to read the next issue. Rating: Sweet

Powers Annual: Waste of money.

Incidentally, A:TI had funny where funny wasn't supposed to be:

47862374xd7.jpg

I LOL'ed :o

Yeah, I did chuckle about that panel, too. Some unintentional humor.

Or WAS it!? ;)

My shop finally got the rest of its stuff in, five days late. ****ing Diamond. Super-brief comments:

Captain Marvel #5

A strong closer to an interesting miniseries, although I can see fans of Captain Marvel feeling a bit gypped (unless they'd have preferred he stay dead). Its quite an interesting idea, really, a Skrull embracing his programming so much that he'd rather be a hero on Earth than a hero to his own people.

Incredible Herc #116

An enjoyable midway point between arcs, and new artist Sandoval's work is absolutely gorgeous; I hope he sticks around for a good long while. The central premise of the story is basically a misunderstanding hero-fight, mixed with an intro to the concept of the Eternals (another of Kirby's god-based ideas; as a sidenote, despite a lot of creators and Kirby fans reverently describing these types of his creations in terms of mythology rather than standard comics, from what I've read of them they mostly just act like standard superheroes). Athena's a really promising addition to the cast (and looks hot).

X-Factor #30

I'll be leaving this title when Stroman arrives on art (not my thing), but this is quite an enjoyable arc, so its a shame. Its an interesting example of follow-up to MC, focussing on a rather minor villain's revenge plot (enlisting the really goofy menace of Arcade; even when he's incinerating women he just doesn't seem all that dangerous).

X-Men: Divided We Stand #1

This is quite an interesting little piece of work (though if Cyclops had trusted everyone with the information about his plans like 60% of this angst could have been averted; nice vision, Scott; Magneto has to explain your intentions at one point). Several of these stories are by the former writers/artists of New X-Men, a book that never properly ended, so as a fan of that run I really enjoyed that; the Nehnzo story really shines (and I don't just mean the art, which is gorgeous if kind of manga-y on the women), makes me wish that K & Y wrote Black Panther; the Anole story is also interesting, although first-time writer Young doesn't really get Northstar's character right. Fraction's closing story is the most interesting, told from the point of view of an extremely minor villain and presenting the most compelling Nightcrawler appearance in a long while. It bodes well for Fraction on UXM.

Captain America #37
what can i say that hasn't been said. the series is just awesome.

X-Men Divided We Stand #1
i though it was really good. i was surprised that i liked it so much since the only New X-Men i ever read was in MC. nice to see how these kids felt about the X-Men situation. didn't really care for the Cannonball story though.

Avengers Initiative #11
very entertaining. i didn't feel like it ended like it should have, but it didnt necessarily bother me. im really starting to hate Slapstick though.

Incredible Herc #116

An enjoyable midway point between arcs, and new artist Sandoval's work is absolutely gorgeous; I hope he sticks around for a good long while. The central premise of the story is basically a misunderstanding hero-fight, mixed with an intro to the concept of the Eternals (another of Kirby's god-based ideas; as a sidenote, despite a lot of creators and Kirby fans reverently describing these types of his creations in terms of mythology rather than standard comics, from what I've read of them they mostly just act like standard superheroes). Athena's a really promising addition to the cast (and looks hot).
Gaiman's mini-series actually set up a nice, more godly dynamic for the Eternals. Before that, I agree, they were essentially just really old people who went through the ages as various things but came into the modern era as, essentially, superheroes in every way, shape, and form. Now there's more of an element of mystery surrounding them, which is cool, and their aims are more interesting than just a general "protect mankind" sort of directive.

And I, too, love Athena, in case my recent posts haven't made that clear. Van Lente and Pak have a great knack for putting together outstanding casts.

Define "consecrated," 'cause I certainly did something with that shrine, but I don't think it'd necessarily fit the bill...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"