Bought/Thought 30/01/08

Another week, and another batch of 100% objective commentary from yours truely, Dusty! :word:

(in order of how I read them)

Captain America #34 - Well, the worst fears of predictability were confirmed, as the king of the Mary Sues has assumed the role of Captain America, in a very disappointingly forced scenerio. As I predicted (which is documented here, too), Bucky was, indeed, deemed to "kewl" for a name like Bucky, and was referred to as James. :whatever: How long before the Barnes...James Barnes introduction to whatever fair damsel that Brubaker has swooning over Buc...err...James next.

I'm not 12 anymore, so seeing Captain America shooting AIM agents in their kneecaps doesn't impress me. Cap used a gun in the war when he had that original shield, but the round shield then became his weapon. This new Cap is just another unoriginal thug, where a hero who was above that used to be. The only refreshing thing from this tired Mary Sue drama, was when Bucky ( internal monologuing like the total badass that he is!!!:hehe: ) expresses being totally inferior to Steve Rogers. Bucky has been forced down our throats so much in the past year, that I'm surprised he wasn't somehow made to be the real Cap's equal or superior...

The art was the regular brand of the best stuff available on the stands, as Steve Epting continues to show why he's the best there is. I do wish he was a bit faster, but Jackson Guice is another of my top favs, so if anybody was going to fill-in, he's a GREAT choice! He's even closer to Epting than Perkins was in style, and I believe that I also called this before it was announced.

The jarring pull away of the characters of Sharon and Falcon has emptied the series, as Bucky really isn't all that interesting. Seen that type of character too many times now.

The positives in the story were major contributions. First, the Red Skull's plan finally moves into the forefront. It's quite brilliant! The cliffhanger was both shocking and absolute. A great piece of writing for an issue with this kind of media attention. The second great contribution was Tony Stark's portrayal. He's getting great treatment in his own series, and also in Captain America. It helps having him as one of the lead heroes, as he's one of my favorites, and "James" definitely isn't.

The pros of this issue were so good that they more than offset Captain Mary Sue!

8.2/10

The Mighty Avengers #8 - This was the weakest issue of the series to date. The eye strain that it took to read it killed it for me. What incompetent decided to put light green text over yellow caption boxes? Thanks for that! In fact, much of the regular text was a bit on the small side.

Iron-Man's reflective montage spread was the best thing in the issue, and it shows exactly why thought balloons are far more effective than captions. I'm glad Marvel writers got some perspective, and realize that the use of thought bubbles isn't beneath them. The sheepish herd that complained about thought bubbles (as if they were programmed) don't do it nearly as much now that their favorite writers are using them. Imagine that!

Bagley's art is it's usual superheroey self. It's fun, dynamic, and bouncy. I would have enjoyed him if he was permanent, even if Fantastic Four would be a better fit.

6.3/10

Daredevil #104 - What else can I say? Daredevil remains the exact same level of story and art every issue. It's more uncanny than the X-men!

Matt's breaking down fast in the midst of this psychological warfare being waged by Mr. Fear. He's played Matt and left him in crisis. Milla is a far more interesting character than she should have been, and all of the characters, from Matt Murdock on down the line, have made for a great dramatic piece.

Michael Lark is an artist who I would want on very many things, but Daredevil isn't one of them, as he does one of the best versions in the character's history. Definitely better than Maleev.

The Hood is written more interesting in Daredevil than he has been in New Avengers, and the cliffhanger confrontation between the Hood and Mr. Fear should add to the tensions of this great story.

9.1/10

New Avengers Annual #2 - The much hyped confrontation between the Hood and his minions was an underwhelming experience, to say the least. :huh: THIS was what I waited to see? LAME!!! :whatever:

A perfect comparison was brought up within the issue, as the Wrecker mentions the Under Siege story. (the great multi-part Avengers story by the greatest Avengers creative team of all time, Roger Stern John Buscema, and Tom Palmer) One group of villians did some major damage and was winning for a good while, and the other group got their tales kicked by a handful of heroes, and were chased away with their tails between their legs. Oooohhh....what great villians... Obviously, this story is just as bad in comparison to the Under Siege story.

The art by Carlo Pagulayan is pretty good. I haven't ever thought of him as a top artist or anything, but he's pretty good. The issue was way too quick of a read, and I hate when I see a writer cash in an easy paycheck by skimping on the dialogue. That's like when an artist skimps on backgrounds.

5.3/10

Avengers: Initiative #9 - Another very solid issue of this series. I don't feel that this book ever quite reaches greatness, but it definitely never fails to be entertaining.

This issue gives us a minor Skrull reveal, some Task Master comic relief, Dani Moonstar cleavage, and all of the dirty dealings within this politically fueled Initiative program. Baron Von Blitzschlag continues to be my favorite. With the MVP clone going haywire, one has to wonder how this will effect the Baron's plans, whatever they are. Gauntlet's revival should be quite interesting, although he's obviously not himself.

The art by Stefano Caselli continues to make a huge impact on the series, as he creates a tone that is totally unique to anything being published.

8.1/10

Fantastic Four #553 - Dwayne McDuffie and Paul Pelletier wrap up their very strong 9 issue fill-in run before the much hyped Millar/Hitch FF hits the stands in a few weeks. It's really a shame that they didn't get to stay for a few years, as it was one of the better FF versions in recent times. The Michael Turner covers were the worst thing about it, and I'm a big fan of Turner, but those FF covers were not what I'd expect from a superstar like him.

The 3 part time travel/Dr. Doom story was pretty standard fare. Nothing special or anything, but great FF characterizations, and entertaining enough.

It's a shame that Dwayne McDuffie isn't a part of the good ol' boys' gang at Marvel, and probably won't get any prime assignments again anytime soon, because he's one of the better current writers, actually. Paul Pelletier has long been an artist who has caught my eye, and if I hear he's drawing something, I always pick it up. I was looking forward to his Nova, but now that's only a few issues (which I still look forward to). I'm REALLY looking forward to his Guardians of the Galaxy, too! He's the rare artist who can handle 12 issues a month, yet Marvel hasn't one time taken advantage of that. I'm betting they screw up Guardians, too.

Anyway, a pretty solid end to a strong, albeit short, run on the World's Greatest Comic Magazine"!

7.7/10

Ultimate Spider-Man #118 - This was another fun issue, with some good humor and character moments. "Mj, if you have time to lean..." lol I liked how this was more of a Ultimate Universe story, with Spider-Man's world being the center.

Liz as Firestar, huh? Could be interesting. We'll see. I was a big fan of the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends cartoon series, so this issue is especially nostalgia driven for me.

The Kitty and Kenny relationship continues to blossom, and the beach stuff was very well done from Bendis and Immonen. Immonen's art continues to give the series the qualities that it needs. He's not as good as Bagley, but he's definitely good, and a more than competent replacement. Judging by sales of his issues (as well as the poor selling nextwave), people aren't clamoring for the comics he draws.

7.8/10

Ultimate X-Men - I was supposed to get anymore of these, but I decided to give the new story a chance. It was much better than the borefest of last issue, but it took 5 minutes to read, and just don't have the style that I'd like to see in an X-Men comic.

Sinister turned into Apocalypse? Part of that is interesting, and another part is a bit dumb, as it takes away from the rogues gallery of the series. I don't know if I'll check out any more of this.

6.8/10

He should be 28 now. The current age of superheroes began 13 years ago in Marvel time with the Fantastic Four. Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and the X-Men popped up shortly afterwards.

In Civil War, Peter stated that he was 15 years old when he first became Spider-Man so just do the simple math of 15 + 13 = 28.

good point.. and sweet i was close with the age :D

Given his age, I wonder if Joe Q's still going to take a hard line against pre-marital sex for Peter now that he can cheat on MJ all he wants.

I also purchased Captain America for the first time this week. Pretty effing sweet!

in an effort to break out of the marve/dc mold i picked up the end league and superpowers was the second one i believe.....i liked them both and am interested to see where they go with it.

I really enjoyed Superpowers. That book, the Twelve and the inclusion of Blazing Skull on the new Defenders have made me completely reexamine the golden age of comics. There really were some facinating characters created back then, even if the creators and public at the time didn't realize the characters' potential.

Te-he. I realized the other connotation for Flaming, but I just figured it didn't have the same meaning in the 40's (which it probably didn't). How fortunate that it was just me f***ing up his name.

Captain America- PICK OF THE WEEK! This book is ridiculously good. Not since Red Zone has the Skull been this intimidating a threat. I hope Brubaker's run on the title is VERY long, because there's a LOT of ground for him to cover with our new Cap. 9/10

New Avengers- Whoa. 2 members depart, and at least one of them is pretty unexpected. Nice to see World War Hulk get referenced. The ending has me incredibly excited for next issue. It's gonna be a tear-jerker, I think. 9/10

Avengers: The Initiative- I don't believe for a second that one of those characters is dead. I just don't buy it. Taskmaster and Ant-Man are fitting in pretty nicely. I'm really digging this arc, I hope the book doesn't end after Secret Invasion. 9/10

Ultimate Spider-Man- Hmmmm. I'm liking this. It's a slow start, but a good one. Immonen's better with superheroes than he is with normal humans, but good Lord what a great last 2 pages! Very interesting development with Kong, but I want Peter with Kitty, dammit! 8/10

Daredevil- Lark draws a fantastic Mr. Fear. He really comes across as very creepy. Nice to see Brubaker work in The Hood so well. Their confrontation next issue should be very interesting to see. 8/10

Mighty Avengers- Lots of straight up action. Story is still dragging from the delays, but we're all caught up now, so that's good. There's some really good moments, though, particularly with Tony. I liked his paranoia about the Skrulls, and the whole Symbiote history was a nice touch. He even snuck in a Ben Reilly reference. Only Bendis can get away with that, it seems. 7/10

Brubaker mentioned in an interview that he's got stuff planned through Cap #50 and is rethinking whether he'll even leave then. :up:

Of all his current books this is the one he definitely needs to stay on.

Captain America #34-A really good issue. I like how that Tony is portrayed as a good guy. It is kind of weird seeing bucky as captain america, but it was still cool. The ending of the book was amazing, I can't wait until the next issue. The red skull is one of the best villains.

Mighty Avengers #8- This is only the second mighty avengers title i've read. It was okay. It was fun to read and very entertaining, but didn't seem to me to be anything special.

New Avengers annual #2- since this is the first new avengers book i've ever read, I didn't really know what was going on that well. It's hard for me to judge this book

one big question: WHAT IS GOING ON WITH SPIDEY? In brand new day, nobody knows his identity, and he is in his red and blue costume. So is Spider-man just ahead of New Avengers? Or did One More day create a pocket universe or something, but didn't effect the rest of the universe???

Brubaker mentioned in an interview that he's got stuff planned through Cap #50 and is rethinking whether he'll even leave then. :up:

Awesome. He owns on this book. Easily my favorite book by Marvel.

Now, if only they could get Ellis and Deodato to stay on Thunderbolts...

Of all his current books this is the one he definitely needs to stay on.

True,I wouldn't care if he left DD in a few issues,Cap is really bringing out his best.

True,I wouldn't care if he left DD in a few issues,Cap is really bringing out his best.

I like all his books except Uncanny but yeah...Cap is the shiznit.

one big question: WHAT IS GOING ON WITH SPIDEY? In brand new day, nobody knows his identity, and he is in his red and blue costume. So is Spider-man just ahead of New Avengers? Or did One More day create a pocket universe or something, but didn't effect the rest of the universe???

One Big Answer: Bendis can't bother himself co-ordinating with the rest of the MU. That same exact story could've been told with Spidey's mask on. Or with a note that reads: events take place before Amazing#546

So far I've only read Cap #34 out of my pile, but it was fantastic :up:. This has to be the best book Marvel puts out. It never disappoints and always keeps things logical. The Death of Captain America story could have gone dozens of different ways and could have sucked, but Bru has made a wonderful story. DD and Cap are both solid reads and Bru has a solid grip on both characters, and that really shows in his writing.

Snaked #1 and 2
Anyone else reading this? What a freaky, freaky story. I read the first issue last week, and I thought it was interesting enough to buy the second. The second gives some insight into who Timmons is and where he comes from, which made me feel a lot more familiar with the character; he was a bit enigmatic in the first issue.

I'm still not quite certain how the politics fit in beyond just being a background source of evil to drive the plot forward. I think there has to be more to it, though; otherwise, what's the point of getting so realistic with the politics? What does having Bush, the Clintons, 9/11, et al. bring to the stage in this book? I'm not quite certain yet--maybe in #3.

Dayglo's art is awesome. He's got kind of a similar style to Ashley Wood, whom I love, but his style is rougher and less elegant than Wood's. I wonder if IDW is trying to put this style of art forward for its more mature books, similar to how Top Cow is known as the T&A publisher. I wouldn't object if that's the case, because more art like this can't be a bad thing. I can't help feeling that Dayglo is pouring a lot of emotion into every panel, especially the rather grisly ones that are sprinkled throughout the issues (though never so much as to be overbearing).

Anyway, #1 was good but #2 convinced me that this series could be great. I'm anxiously looking forward to #3 (and beyond, if there is anything; I don't know if it's an ongoing or a mini-series). Oh, and we learn what crime Timmons committed to wind up in prison at the end of #2. It's... um... pretty damn ****ed up, even to my desensitized ash. I'm kind of curious now if each issue is just gonna end with Timmons eating something.

I betcha your LCBS has a lot of copies of BND......

Actually, partly. The first print of the first issue is actually all gone. It had more copies of the next two, though.

UXM too, right? You used to read UXM but Kirkman scared you away, if I remember right. (I read your reviews.)

Did you check out UXM90 at all? And if not, did you see my thoughts on the first page? (Shameless plug!)

Yeah, I left UXM after the end of the SENTINEL arc. I just couldn't take Kirkman's direction anymore. I did read your review.

Dusty appears to be the only one who isn't quite worshipping the lap of CA, but even he likes it despite himself. The fact that Brubaker relates to Bucky is obvious and he has admitted it in many interviews, and I guess to some that makes him seem like a "Mary Sue". I disagree, and I have enjoyed seeing the character be reintroduced and developped.

Dusty appears to be the only one who isn't quite worshipping the lap of CA, but even he likes it despite himself. The fact that Brubaker relates to Bucky is obvious and he has admitted it in many interviews, and I guess to some that makes him seem like a "Mary Sue". I disagree, and I have enjoyed seeing the character be reintroduced and developped.

Which is really surprising considering Dusty pretty much worshiped this title for the majority of Bru's run.

Best since Waid/Garney for me, but I never read the Englehart/Buscema stuff. Either way, Brubaker/Epting, at least, need to stick around for a long time. :)

FANTASTIC FOUR #553: With all the buzz around Millar & Hitch teaming up for 16 issues of FF next month (and shipping one every 2-18 months thereafter), McDuffie quietly ends his year run on the title here. In a way I feel sorry for him; sandwiched between the longer runs of bigger names like JMS and Millar, writing stories that are fun and entertaining, but aren't as shocking or "buzz worthy" as said creators. Brubaker once said during his CATWOMAN days words to the effect of, "If you don't do anything shocking, no one will remember your run", which has turned into the rallying cry of every retconning hack out there. I imagine McDuffie in the same boat. Aside for Storm & Black Panther joining the team for a few months, nothing he did garnered wide attention and his run may be forgotten rather quickly. That isn't to say it was bad, or I didn't enjoy it. I actually can like well-done formula with strong characters and whatnot. He may be too used to 22 minute scripts, though. The FF from the future meet the FF of the present as they all grapple Future Doom. There is some fighting but it mostly is about the difficulties of altering the past (noting the time theories of Reed's father and Kang), and essentially a lot of talking about who is telling the truth, which turns out to be Doom's weakness. It seems a bit of a stretch that "Dr. Doom doesn't lie" considering all the misdirection, manipulation, and half-truths. I mean if those don't count as lies, then your definition of a lie is more strict than God's definitions of things in the Bible. It didn't quite work for me. I did like Pelletier's art as always and look forward to his stuff on NOVA. The ending theme is naturally that the Four are a team and family that know each other, which after 60 years has been perhaps overused to the point of parody, even if that works, too (so has, "Reed reveals to have known something in advance even when he acts like he doesn't, a tactic JLA ripped off for Batman and has also been overused."). I can understand why some didn't like this run and why most of the market is excited for Millar's run, which will probably involve something "shocky". Millar is about the Big Moment after all. McDuffie didn't push as many FF rules and that was probably a good thing after CW made Reed essentially into the Mad Thinker, but it is something that mainstream fans won't appreciate. See this as the Gerald Ford run; mopped up the dark times of the past administration but is quickly forgotten, at least for now, by the new kid administration. The question will be; with Joe Q's hatred of any marriage not created under his run, how long will he tolerate the Richards'? Stay tuned. As for me? I don't expect a lot from Millar & Hitch, including timely issues. This may be a good jumping off point..

I just got around to reading this issue. I loved the hints to things that would happen in the future. Particularly Johnny being able to turn white hot and manipulate all fire AND Ben getting continuously stronger all his life. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"