Bought/Thought 5/10--Spoilers to come!

BrianWilly said:
X-Men: Deadly Genesis #6
Miles upon miles upon miles of retcons and mischaracterizations up and down the street, and this is what we end up with? The villain doesn't get defeated. Good guys died. Everyone is sad and betrayed and despairing in the end. This is our payoff?? This is our story??

Far and above the worst X-story that I've read in the last year. And that's saying a lot.

(0 out 10)

52 Week One
Very nice start. Good to see the aftereffects of the Crisis playing out in full scale here...the world is saved and the disaster averted, and yet the story goes on.

What's best were the little moments. Bart talking about Wally's twins. Wonder Girl being comforted by Empress. Themyscira House being replaced by Kahndaq.

At first I thought it was strange that Nightwing was there with the rest of the heroes considering he's supposed to be with Batman on their little love cruise...I mean, uh, training sabbatical:O. But then I realize, it's probably Jason Todd! Loopholes yay! What's harder to explain is why the heck Mera is with Aquaman. Isn't she supposed to be missing after Atlantis got blowed up or something? Also, why the poop is Green Arrow without his mask in front of all these reporters?

But anyway, looking forward to week 2. They're bragging that they're going to cram every single member of the DCU into this series...after only one week, I believe them.

(9 out of 10)

Hahaha, I haven't read it yet. I'll brace myself. :D:down

deemar325 said:
Dread you are the Roger Ebert of comicbook critics!

Damn you are right on point every time you analyze any comic.

Deadly Genesis was a total waste of time and a informercial for Uncany.

Kudos! Dread. :up:
Thanks. I wouldn't mind the comparison if I was paid the same salary. ;)

XwolverineX said:
Hahaha, I haven't read it yet. I'll brace myself.
Brace yourself for Ludicrous Speed. :cool:

I hope the mediocre DG won't discourage many people from givin the new Uncanny book a try.

I think he's referring to when Claremont leaves the book and Brubaker takes over.

Although, I'm curious as to why the mediocre DG shouldn't discourage people from givin the new Uncanny book a try. It's relatively the same cast of characters written by the same exact person; if the combo didn't work at all in this instance, why should we hold out any particular hope that it will work in the future?

I'll stick with Bru on Cap and DD.I don't care if Stan Lee was writing them again,I still wouldn't be buying.

GNR4Life said:
I'll stick with Bru on Cap and DD.I don't care if Stan Lee was writing them again,I still wouldn't be buying.

I'd read the dictionary if it were written by Stan Lee. Of course if he did that he would forego the alphabetical order and put 'Excelsior!' as the first word, exclamation point and all.

Who do I want to see back on the X-Men? Grant Morrison. Now that was a long ass story that I could sink my teeth into. Quite possibly the best writer of our time.

Excelsior!

Colossal Spoons said:
I hope the mediocre DG won't discourage many people from givin the new Uncanny book a try.

I am. Ed's one of my favorite writers. DG coulda been better, but I don't think it was that bad. I'd give it a 6.5. Alot of people seemed to not like it cuz it was spoiled for them. I didn't read anything about it so i wasn't spoiled, which may be the reason I liked it a little more the others.

I'm gonna give his Uncanny a try, but he will have to prove himself on this one. Bru, from the many stories i've read from him, works best on street level types. Cap, DD, Sleeper, Catwoman, Gotham Central. These were great works. Don't have much to do with the type of stuff you'd find in an X-Men book. Plus this is gonna be something of a space adventrue? Yeah, Bru's gonna have to bring his A game, because I don't see this fitting in with his style. I just don't wanna see him become the next Bendis. You know, the guy fanboys love to hate.

BrianWilly said:
I think he's referring to when Claremont leaves the book and Brubaker takes over.

Although, I'm curious as to why the mediocre DG shouldn't discourage people from givin the new Uncanny book a try. It's relatively the same cast of characters written by the same exact person; if the combo didn't work at all in this instance, why should we hold out any particular hope that it will work in the future?

It's not the same cast at all. The only Summers' he'll have control over are Alex and Vulcan. I do hope the Shi'ar arc ends quickly cuz I hate them regardless of who's writing the story.

seriously, does ANYONE care about the new uncanny title at all?

i mean, the cast is horrible. having polaris, iceman and havok on the same team is ridiculous. i refuse to read about a love triangle that's been done to DEATH. and warpath? i could not care less about that character. the only redeeming person in the book is nightcrawler; and he works best when he's put with colossus, storm or kitty. wolverine, even. not with the drama squad, and some thunderbird rip-off.

avoid this like herpes.

Anubis said:
I'm gonna give his Uncanny a try, but he will have to prove himself on this one. Bru, from the many stories i've read from him, works best on street level types. Cap, DD, Sleeper, Catwoman, Gotham Central. These were great works. Don't have much to do with the type of stuff you'd find in an X-Men book. Plus this is gonna be something of a space adventrue? Yeah, Bru's gonna have to bring his A game, because I don't see this fitting in with his style. I just don't wanna see him become the next Bendis. You know, the guy fanboys love to hate.

Yeah, I get that feeling Brubaker is going to be the next Bendis. And it kind of figures that Uncanny will be the title that labels him as that....:(

photojones2 said:

i mean, the cast is horrible. having polaris, iceman and havok on the same team is ridiculous. i refuse to read about a love triangle that's been done to DEATH. and warpath? i could not care less about that character. the only redeeming person in the book is nightcrawler; and he works best when he's put with colossus, storm or kitty. wolverine, even. not with the drama squad, and some thunderbird rip-off.

avoid this like herpes.

Is that an order? Who are you to give orders about what people can or cannot like? And if you've been reading Daredevil and Captain America, you could see how much potential this title has.

Dwarf lord said:
Is that an order? Who are you to give orders about what people can or cannot like? And if you've been reading Daredevil and Captain America, you could see how much potential this title has.

it's not an order, it's some advice.

let me ask you something:
do you like everything your favorite band puts out? i mean, absolutely EVERYTHING? if you do, good for you. i don't. i am not of the opinion that people i am a fan of cannot make a mistake. i love bru's cap and dd. i thought dg was the pits. no one's perfect.

I'll be reading Uncanny because I like Nightcrawler and because Psylocke is seksilicious.

That said, how is Polaris in it if she's currently Apoc's fu**ed-up Pestilence?

photojones2 said:

i mean, the cast is horrible. having polaris, iceman and havok on the same team is ridiculous. i refuse to read about a love triangle that's been done to DEATH.

Uh, Iceman's not in the title. He's going to adjectiveless X-Men. So there's still Havok and Polaris, but no triangle to my knowledge...

Also, to the previous poster, Psylocke is switching over to Exiles...

Brubaker turned me off when he killed Banshee, and even moreso when I realized it was for nothing. I'll get Uncanny because I've collected it for 15 years, but I'll admit that I'm going in with a negative attitude (though I do like Darwin, so that might help).

I think Dread is an excellent reviewer, I haven't been reading DG, but trust in Dread's review enough not to bother.

I love Brubaker and read both his DD abd Captain America, but agree with another poster - not everything your favourite writer does will be great. So I won't be trying Uncanny unless I start to hear rave reviews. I can't imagine X-men being the right type of title for him.

Deadly Genesis was a complete waste of time, useless retcons, failed on almost all levels.

Dread was entirely right, and you rock on brother, keepin' um honest. He's our Anderson Cooper. Only with a Jason Mask. And I don't think he looks as gay.

photojones2 said:
it's not an order, it's some advice.

let me ask you something:
do you like everything your favorite band puts out? i mean, absolutely EVERYTHING? if you do, good for you. i don't. i am not of the opinion that people i am a fan of cannot make a mistake. i love bru's cap and dd. i thought dg was the pits. no one's perfect.

How the heck can you give advice about opinions? :confused:

Even if Iceman/Polaris/Havok were on the same team, who's to say that they'd continue the love triangle. Bru could opt not to continue Milligan's Sweet Valley X-Men and start from scratch.

I didn't like Deadly gen either...a lot of build up to a whole lot of nothing. I was very impressed with 52 (LOVED the Booster melt down scene), New X-Men is brutal and oh-so-good (how sad is it that the X books and the Spidey books all suck except for the ones about their kids???).

Yeah, but people still ain't readin' said books. Bastards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"