Bought/Thought for 10/20/10 - SPOILERS!

Phaedrus45

Avenger
Reaction score
I liked when Teardrop did this in the Diamond List threads a while back. Here is a review by Roughneck from 04/12/06. (Kind of sad all the old threads have disappeared. That's as far back as I could go with Bought/Thoughts.)

Exiles #79 - Good book, Decent art.....but I am actually looking forward to Claremont taking over this title. I still won't drop it but I hopeit gets better before it gets cancelled. its a wonderful concept.

Sadly, Claremont turned out to be the death of Exiles. He sure killed that title.

Anyway, onto some new reviews!!!

Bone Ashcan

A free giveaway, which you SHOULD NOT read if you've never read Bone. It gives away a big part of the story (namely, who is the hooded figure). It's small, quick...and, only here to promote the huge All-In-One Bone volume you can buy. (That trade has been out for years, though.) I usually give a free giveaway a smiley face; but, think this one's pretty bad with revealing something that would ruin new reader's enjoyment of Smith's great story. :dry:

Ultimate New Ultimates #4

Complain all you like about Loeb's Hulk; but, he's doing a pretty good job with New Ultimates. Heck, after reading Fraction's Thor, I'm diggin' this version of Thor a whole lot more. We get lots of little twists and turns in this issue, as Valkyrie's death only really leads to that character being truly born; and, Loki reveals why he brought Thor back to Midgard from Hela's domain. Oh...and, unlike with the 616 Thor, we get plenty of action! :yay:

Tomb Of Terror #1

Ok..in the BIGGEST move of false advertising I might have ever seen, this issue claims "48 All-New Pages in glorious Black & White." Picking up the book, you can tell that HAS to be a false claim. Sure enough..even if you count the front and back cover, you only get 36 pages. (And, I don't normally count the front and back cover...so, that should really be 32 pages.) What the hell??!!?? Thankfully, I didn't pay $4.99 for this comic. They only charged $3.99; but, there is no explanation for this mistake within the book.

The first story is pretty darn good. It stars the Man-Thing, as we see what happened after Ted was given a certain amount of time when Dr. Strange gave him the ability to have consciousness with the woman he cares for, and he tries to do one last helpful act. (Great ending to the story! Though, gotta say I kind of expected it.) Second story was only okay for me. It stars Damien Hellstrom, as he hunts down a serial killer of triplets. (Why he's killing triplets is never explained.) Next, we get a Werewolf By Night story. It's also predictable. And, finally, a Living Mummy short story that takes up three pages and has three drawings to go along with it. I enjoyed that one quite a bit.

This collection of stories rates a :yay:. I enjoyed it enough that I forgive Marvel saying I was getting more than I actually was.

X-Files/30 Days Of Night #4

Hmmm. I don't know about this book. Sure, I usually love Steve Niles writing (co-writer, actually, with someone named Adam Jones); but, this mini really hasn't done much with Mulder and Scully as characters, besides the same old thing we've seen numerous times. (Mulder knows it's vampires, and Scully still thinks there is a reasonable explanation to it all.) Hey, at least it's better than the 30 Days Of Night movie sequel that I watched recently. That movie took place in California! What's so "30 Days Of Night" about Cali??!!?? :dry:

Official Handbook Of The Marvel Universe A-Z Update #4

Some nice updates to the Handbooks, including Death-Stalker, Doctor Nemesis, Julie Power (teen version), and Zodiac. If you're into this stuff, then it's a must-buy. :yay:

PunisherMAX: Tiny Ugly World one-shot: For the first time, Marvel published a PunisherMAX one-shot that was really damn good. It had a smooth, concise flow to it, and had a solid beginning, middle and ending, which has been the problem with the past one-shots. They have all felt incredibly rushed. David Lapham shows how to do it right in a rather effed-up story, about a guy who, after feeling he's wasted 40 years of his life, finally feels he has purpose when he saves, and subsequently performs a live autopsy on (and then kills) on a guy The Punisher shot in the balls and left for dead. The guy tries to really work up courage to face the woman he likes by trying to do the same thing after he learns of where the Punisher is going to hit next. It's a rather gruesome, very un-funny story, with a twist involving the guy's...junk that is just downright disturbing. Maybe not worth the 5 dollar price tag, could, and damn well should have been 4 dollars, but whatever. The PunisherMAX stuff is the only stuff i'm buying from Marvel.

Vertigo Resurrected: Dropped the 8 bucks on this for the infamous "Shoot" story by Warren Ellis that was supposed to published during his Hellblazer run. Pretty heavy story. I liked it alot. Still kinda reeling from it. I didn't read any of the others yet though, so I might post about those later. But i did read "The New Toys" by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely and that was fun, about the reaction of a toy soldier finding out he's being replaced by new toys. Some other cool creators here, like Brian Azzarello, Brian Bolland, Garth Ennis, Eduardo Risso, Berni Wrightson, Tim Sale etc... Can't wait to read the rest.

Batman & Robin #15: Actually thought this was a great issue, with a nice, satisfying ending. Dr. Hurt's reign is coming to an end, and there's a great twist here that I can't wait for next issue to see how it plays out. Still haven't made up my mind whether or not I'll stick with Morrison for his next phase with Batman, but I'm anxious to see how this phase ends next month.

The Spirit #7: I pretty much gave up with David Hine's story with issue 5. It was so "un-Spirit" that it wasn't even funny. Denny Colt isn't wise-cracking, he's not a goof ball in this title like he should be. Instead, David Hine makes him stern and dead serious. The tone is all wrong. And I can't put the blame on it being a "First Wave" title, because Azzarello has a perfect handle on The Spirit in the main First Wave book, which leads me to conclude that David Hine is the wrong guy to be writing the character. With Issue 5, i stopped reading the main feature. Instead, I buy this book for the wonderful back-up feature Spirit Black & White, which showcases marvelous talent telling Spirit stories the way they should be told. Last issue had a great story by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso. This issue, we got a story written by Jan Strnad and the legendary Richard Corben and it was wonderful. The Spirit vs a Werewolf. Need I say more? The writing was fun, the art was great, and was overall very satisfying. Needless to say though, once January comes around, this title will no longer be in my pull list, as the back-up feature will no longer be around (atleast it'll go out with a bang: A Spirit Christmas Story [the best kind] by Paul Dini and Mike Ploog!) Next issue has a story by Walt Simonson and Jordi Bernet. When they get a new writer, perhaps I'll check it out again.

I also bought the new Luthor hardcover by Azzarello and Lee Bermejo. Haven't read it yet, but i enjoyed the paperback version. Anxious to see what the new 10 pages add to an already solid story. Green Hornet Year One #6. This has been great so far. Matt Wagner can do no wrong. And lastly, Turf #3. This book is worth every cent. Not only is the story pure pulp fun, but it takes a long ass time to read each issue. A nice change of pace from comics that take 30 seconds to read.

Yep, I got it...and, it's near the top of my reading list. Too many comics this week that I hope to get to by week's end; but, I'm working the next two days, so not sure when I'll get to it.

The ones I'm most looking forward to reading:

Kick-Ass 2, DV8 (13 DC titles..and, that's the only one that's an immediate read for me), Walking Dead, Sixth Gun, Morning Glories, Stan Lee's Soldier Zero (though, that cover looks like a total Iron Man rip-off), Shadowland: Power Man (not Daredevil, though. Johnston didn't write this one...Diggle did), Steve Rogers: Super Soldier, Hulk (love that Parker is on this now), Carnage (hate that Crain is inking this, though), Thor: First Thunder, Loki, The Stand.

Just looking at how many independant and Marvel titles are on there...and, the only DC comic is a Wildstorm title...just goes to show why I keep dropping DC comic titles every month. I like that they are only $2.99; but, I'd still sooner pay the extra buck for something much better.

I just need to know if there is a character called Enforcer in the issue. I won this contest to be in the book, but I'm not sure how many issues.

Chaos War was fun this week. The new God Squad assembles for a pretty sound reason and Mikaboshi takes over Hell (and gets kind of a crappy new look). I know that sounds a bit sparse, but both of those points are kind of big and there's plenty of fighting and great dialogue to go along with them. I especially liked Herc's reasoning behind his choices for the new God Squad. Concern for mortals was chief among his criteria, and he laid it out especially well when he chose Sersi. I like that she's back to her minxy, mischievous personality of old, too. Doesn't really bother me that there's no particular explanation for it after Gaiman and the Knaufs angsted her up for the recent Eternals reboot. Still loving the watercolor colors over Pham's loose, kind of indie-looking style, too.

Green Lantern Corps was all right. The exchange between Sinestro and Kyle at the end was a bit awkward. People have pointed out that Kyle should probably be angrier with Sinestro given that Sinestro orchestrated the death of Kyle's mom in "The Sinestro Corps War," but I just figured his concern for Soranik's safety overrode that. Plus, Kyle's a pretty level-headed guy in general. The Weaponer looks like a solid villain, too.

Loki was all right but confusing if you care about continuity at all. We get yet another telling of one of the actual Norse myths and yet another Ragnarok that doesn't really coincide with any of the versions we've seen before. Then again, Thor mentions at the end that Loki's gotten it all completely wrong and twisted the events in his mind, so it may have all just been a fantasy Loki cooked up to make himself appear the victim. I just chalked it up to another Ragnarok cycle and went with it, though. The story's decent, but I don't really know about this idea that Loki's going to just blame all of his own actions on his supposed function, according to their legends. That seems a bit too metafictional and way too easy a way out. It kind of makes Loki come off a lot more pathetic and less complex than he ought to, as well. But overall it was a decent read and the art is absolutely gorgeous. We'll see where it goes from here.

Its weird, but I actually have been enjoying a comic with Rulk in it.

I bought this week's issue for Thor. I'm afraid I'll like it. :csad:

What do you mean? I haven't bought Hulk since Thor's last appearance in #5 or 6. :huh:

"For Thor." I was responding to Tim's post about the "comic with Rulk."

Hulk #26

Thank you, Jeff Parker! Yes, you have made Rulk interesting. Don't get me wrong, though; this isn't anything mind-blowing. It's just a fun comic to read with some really good guest stars.

In this issue, we begin where we left off. Rulk is teamed up with Iron Man to help stop one of The Leader and MODOK's Scorched Earth programs...only to have it followed up with another. This time, though, Steve Rogers calls on the help of Thor. We get to see a pretty good beat-down from Thor for one of Rulk's past fights; then, they get onto their mission. (Good humor...good action. Parker is really good at taking some of Loeb's past storylines that weren't that good and making them better.)

Like I said, fun issue. (I'm still not sold on the A-Bomb back-up feature...but, it was a bit better this issue.) Even better, I don't mind paying $3.99 for this comic; because, it feels like we get extra content for the higher price. (Unlike I Am An Avenger.) :yay::yay:

Carnage #1

OH boy. I sure hope this gets better; because, I disliked this first issue quite a bit. Crain's art is interesting; but, there is something about it that doesn't lend itself well to telling a story. It's a bit too dark. I did like seeing Mayhem and Shriek again, as I loved Maximum Carnage back in the day; and, there is a glimmer of hope that things pick up in two months. (Two months??!!?? That also stinks! That means this five part mini will take almost a year to finish.)

Ya know...upon further review, I might like this issue a bit more this morning. It's just Crain's art takes away from that enjoyment so much, and there wasn't a whole lot of story in this first issue. We get rushed into the action; and, we get rushed into an Iron Man/Spidey team-up. It's just the tie-in to Maximum Carnage has me really interested. :dry::yay:

PunisherMax: Tiny Ugly World One-Shot

CrimsonMist summed this issue up pretty good. It's one of the best PunisherMax one-shots I've read; but, DAMN!!! It gives you a feeling like you need to take a shower after reading it, just to get the filth out of your mind. It starts out with an incest scene, where the mother ends up slitting her throat after doing something equally horrific to the son. Needless to say, this boy ends up REALLY screwed up in the end.

This book isn't so much about the Punisher, but more about that son. We follow him throughout the book, and by the time the end comes, we feel a little justice was accomplished. Really good...but, DEFINITELY not for everybody! :yay::yay:

Daredevil #511

Yep. Diggle takes over, and this book goes downhill FAST! Oh, man. Why couldn't they just keep Johnston on this book?? He made Dakota North, Foggy Nelson, Kingpin, and all the other characters interesting. This issue made them just tools for Diggle's storyline. We get more bad dialogue, and we see Foggy acting very un-Foggy-like. (Really, how does he climb up the walls to the top of Matt's fortress??!!??) HUGE disappointment here. :dry:

^ I won't ruin it for you Corpy, but Thor has a great line post-fightus that puts a funny twist on the "fight because of a misunderstanding" motif....

I'll read it at lunch. People generally seem pretty satisfied with it, so I'm at least optimistic that Thor won't be completely f***ed over again.

Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier could've reasonably been titled Secret Avengers: Appendix. Turns out Erskine faked his death and is actually a member of the Shadow Council from Secret Avengers. There was no new Super-Soldier Serum; the whole thing was a ruse to get a sample of Steve's blood so Erskine could actually make a new serum, like, f'realz this time. Kind of silly and a bit unsatisfying for this as a mini-series unto itself, but it makes sense. I still enjoyed the mini.

Hulk was, as others have said, pretty solid. The 'fight' with Thor is a non-issue, really, since Rulk wasn't fighting back. It was just Thor exploiting an excuse to pummel the s*** out of Rulk again. The excuse was chuckle-worthy, at least. Much better than the glum, dour Thor we're seeing in his own series. Parker's doing a pretty good job of making Ross a tolerable character, too. I liked his response when Steve tried to pull him off of the comet mission and his disdain for the scientist at the end of the previous mission. The A-Bomb backup was surprisingly entertaining as well. I kind of like Rick as a wisecracking superhero. It's something like Spider-Man's deal, I imagine: Rick usually played second-fiddle to heroes, but now that he's got his own powers and is free to do basically whatever he wants, his personality loosens up and he becomes a bit silly, enjoying his new power without being irresponsible with it. It's a good characterization and it works for Rick. Between that backup and how Parker's handling Rulk, I could almost see myself reading this regularly. Still not really interested enough in the Hulk's corner of the universe to do that, though.

I've been enjoying Peter Milligan's Hellblazer run so far and #272 is no exception. It may have more typical magic use for a normal Hellblazer book and putting John Constantine through the wringer is about as original as putting Daredevil through it but what separates this from the rest is the idea of this is John Constantine's midlife crisis. Yes, he's getting married to a twenty-some year old and the idea of John Constantine is getting old is prevalent through out Milligan's work but they are only superficial. What makes this midlife crisis John Constantine is the 90's Vertigo nostalgia. The tone of the book is less the gritty horror and more trippy, British vibe that was found in much of Vertigo's books when they first started. The return of Shade and Nergal, even Bisley's and Camuncoli's pencils seem more suited for an earlier book. And this isn't cheap unwarranted nostalgia that is rampant in the DC books but more of a looking back and admiring that time. I can't wait to see where the Milligan takes John.

Also picked up Charles Burns long awaited follow up to Black Hole, X'ed Out. It was really good, really weird, and definitely in my running for favorite book of the year. It feels like a combination of Tin Tin, William Burroughs and some of Burns' Black Hole-like drama thrown in.

Milligan's been good, nothing extraordinary by any means. Garth Ennis' run is the definitive measuring stick for any Hellblazer writer. I'd put Milligan's run behind Azzarello, Carey and Diggle. I do love Epiphany though, she's much better than Phoebe.

That's the thing about Constantine, he's like James Bond. It's always about the woman they match him up with. Azzarello and Diggle were the only writers in recent memory that didn't go by this format. Epiphany is filling the void left by Angie Spatchcock (who I miss a lot) very nicely.

One thing I've always wondered is the big scar over John's eye. Did I miss the issue when he got that or has it yet to be explained yet?

Milligan's been good, nothing extraordinary by any means. Garth Ennis' run is the definitive measuring stick for any Hellblazer writer. I'd put Milligan's run behind Azzarello, Carey and Diggle. I do love Epiphany though, she's much better than Phoebe.

That's the thing about Constantine, he's like James Bond. It's always about the woman they match him up with. Azzarello and Diggle were the only writers in recent memory that didn't go by this format. Epiphany is filling the void left by Angie Spatchcock (who I miss a lot) very nicely.

One thing I've always wondered is the big scar over John's eye. Did I miss the issue when he got that or has it yet to be explained yet?

Azzarello had Bruce Wayne. :oldrazz:

Another week, another half dozen books, along with the always studly OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE A-Z UPDATE. That's always worth the cash. As always, full rants/spoilers ahoy.

Dread's Bought/Thought for 10/20/10:

BATMAN BEYOND #5:
For DC, this is a modest success story. What was once going to be a six issue mini has proved to sell well enough to warrant an ongoing attempt next year with the same creative team of Adam Beechen, Ryan Benjamin, John Stanisci and David Baron. Despite being canceled to make way for JUSTICE LEAGUE a decade ago, there seems to be life and excitement in the BATMAN BEYOND franchise yet. But is it for the Beyond franchise proper? Or simply because it's another extension of the Bat-family that hasn't been mined to death lately? At any rate, it beats BATGIRL. At this point, Beechen is adding more DC Universe proper elements and isn't exclusively cribbing from the TV show; the TV show is where the premise is from, and he uses the continuity from it when it works. But the parts that don't jive with the rest of the DCU are being tossed out. The idea is to have this book appear as a legitimate, or almost legitimate, alternate future reality that others could visit and fits into the DCU as a whole. I mean, next year, DC may want this book as part of it's next inevitable Green Lantern event named after a part of the oath, likely titled NO EVIL or something close (INFINITE NO EVIL CRISIS WAR RETURNS A-GO-GO?). So this issue has elements of HUSH in it, as well as name dropping a character's name that I had to look up, because I am not a DC nerd and know who the first villain Firestorm ever fought was.

The plot unfolds, or rather dumps out it's contents all at once. Amanda Waller and Cadmus had wanted to clone themselves a new Batman, as Wayne was getting old. As cartoon fans may know, that actually ended up being Terry McGinnis (who is genetically Wayne's son; I know, that retcon didn't make any sense, either). However, because Wayne was often combative and resistant to authority, Waller settled on some DNA of someone similar, but not as extreme. So, she picked Dick Grayson, the former Nightwing. Unfortunately, like every Frankenstein style experiment, it broke loose and now is the new Hush, with a screwed up mind and all of the skills and memories of Batman. The new Catwoman turns out not to be someone Spliced, or even someone in any way remotely related to anyone from Batman lore. She's the daughter of Danton Black, the FIRESTORM villain called Multiplex. Yes, he is named after a style of movie theater. It was 1978, I guess those were still new back then. I looked it up, but it usually comes close to taking me out of a story when I have to venture onto GOOGLE to translate some Nerd French I can't compute. Therefore, this new Catwoman can create multiples of herself like her father could; the problem is that it's a name drop moment that felt a bit random. Like Beechen wanted to try too hard to not be obvious, so he picked someone totally random. Imagine if I was writing a SPIDER-MAN 2099 adventure, and I had Miguel fight a new Shocker. Only it turns out he's not in any way related to the original, but is in fact the grand nephew of Dillon Zarro, the Bullet Biker (a very very minor Hawkeye & Mockingbird villain). Would you be impressed or just go "meh"? It is like the new Executioner from DARK REIGN: YOUNG AVENGERS having absolutely nothing to do with Skurge and is just the son of Princess Python. I appreciate the effort, but when it feels like a writer just spin a DC WHO'S WHO in the air and picked a name at random, it can backfire.

On the positive, this adventure involves the middle aged Grayson a lot more than the cartoon ever did. He's sort of like Nick Fury now, missing an eye but still being more kick-ass then man half his age and twice his size. And the artwork is good. Overall it does feel as if Beechen has captured the spirit of the show, even though he seems eager to shove it into the DCU proper with as much force as possible. Characters from the actual Beyond universe like Mad Stan, Spellbinder or Max are tossed in for cameos just to remind us that they exist, while Beechen is busy focusing on doing a psuedo sequel to a Jeph Loeb story and having some the no name villain of a D-List hero show up as a new legacy. It works better than it should, but part of me wonders if half the point of the story is the exercise to insert it into the universe proper. It isn't my favorite book, but I probably felt more of a sense of urgency about the story than I do for BOOSTER GOLD, the other DC book I buy. I will be trying the ongoing series, I just hope Beechen won't lose me with trying to shower BEYOND with DC lore I can't penetrate or care to. I sort of have to expect that from a DC book, just as I imagine new Marvel fans may feel that way about many other books.

GUARDING THE GLOBE #2: The first part of a double dose of Robert Kirkman this week from Image. This he co-writes with Benito Cereno, who he has collaborated with in the past on BRIT and the two INVINCIBLE PRESENTS: ATOM EVE mini's. I suppose if one was being cynical, they might state that one reason for this mini series to exist is to tie up some loose subplot details that had been left dangling in INVINCIBLE, or rather abandoned. How long? One footnote makes reference to INVINCIBLE #15, which was about 60 issues and five years ago. In practice, though, you get a lighthearted team superhero book delivered in that distinctive Kirkman style that fleshes out some older supporting characters while introducing new ones. The artwork is by Ransom Getty, with inks by Thomas Mason, and it looks quite good. The gist is that while Invincible and his family are in space (again), events are happening on earth, and Cecil goes about finally reorganizing the Guardians of the Globe team after they find themselves short staffed. Brit is still leading the team and is recruiting new members from across the globe so that it has a more international flair. Last issue, we met Yeti, who is a monster from Tibet but is in fact a total fanboy for superheroes; according to the letters page, he isn't well liked, but I like him. This issue, we meet Kaboomerang, from Australia, and El Chupacabra from Mexico, as well as a female member who has yet to be introduced. Meanwhile, the rest of the team, that includes stalwarts like the Martian Shapesmith and Black Samson, have to deal with one of Invincible's spare villains, Octoboss, in the realm of Atlantis.

In a word, this is fun. There's zero angst or whining here. No hero is afraid of marriage, or hates women, or shoots up on drugs and fights with a dead cat. They feel like real characters without having to be miserable or depressing. The series isn't afraid of providing one action scene an issue (this one has two) nor is it afraid to poke fun at certain cliches while executing them properly. For instance, like many heroes from other nations, they rely on stereotypes. Of course a guy from Tibet will be a Yeti. Of course a guy from Australia will use boomerangs and literally fight dingos. Of course the guy from Mexico will dress like a luchadore. Heck, we literally have guys named Brit and Black Samson. It's all part of the fun. After all, if you made a list of every Marvel hero that wasn't set in New York City, especially in the southern U.S., you get equally stereotypical types like Razorback or Texas Twister.

The fight with Octoboss was a lot of fun, the art and banter are great, it's a break from Kirkman's occasional gore or grim jaunts on other books, and the finale of the issue has a slew of villains from Kirkman titles assemble under the Order. Some are new, and most are from INVINCIBLE (or, if you are being generous, CAPES), but one is even from ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN.

Speaking of which, Kirkman's schedule has now all but ruined the finale of that title. ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN has one issue left, and it likely should have shipped by now. I do not know if the delay is due to Jason Howard's art (maybe SEA BEAR & GRIZZLY SHARK was a bad idea, schedule wise) or due to the fact that Robert Kirkman has been busy writing for his WALKING DEAD TV shows for a while. Perhaps a bit of both? All of Kirkman's books that I read have all seemed to quickly and quietly slip into a bi-monthly schedule, which sounds worse than it does since he writes 3-4 of them. He at least puts the books out at a faster rate than Allen Heinberg did for years with YOUNG AVENGERS. At any rate, we know that Gary Hampton survives ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN #25, a fact that was not assured. It might have been better to just not have that issue cover in the back, but the letters page even gives it away. It isn't a major concern, but a case of bad timing due to late comics. There's another GUARDIAN GAGS by Chris Giarrusso that, suffice it to say, is harmed by this title not coming out at least a month or two ago. What next; a joke about the miners from Chile in an issue that ships in March? The problem with humor based in current references is just that; it has to be current.

It is a shame that the book is $3.50, but it has sold well, and at least it isn't $3.99 and is thus cheaper than many Marvel or DC titles. I expected a fun little INVINCIBLE spin off, and I am far from disappointed.

HAUNT #10: This is apparently on a sort of bi-monthly schedule, either because of the art by Greg Capullo, as well as the inks by Jonathon Glapion and co-creator Todd McFarlane take time, or because writer (and co-creator) Robert Kirkman is busier now than about a year ago, when this series launched. He is writing or co-writing at least three or four other books for Image as well as a TV show for AMC based on one of them, “THE WALKING DEAD”. The fact that he gets stuff out even close to a monthly schedule is impressive considering many Marvel and DC creators seem to look for any excuse to fall behind, especially when Hollywood calls (such as Allan Heinberg). The origin phase of the story is over and ex-priest Daniel Kilgore is fully immersed in the world of being “agent Haunt” alongside his slain, ghostly brother, Kurt, with whom he merges with for supernatural power. Last issue, Haunt was captured by his enemies and currently faces interrogation about his secrets. As the cover shows, he finally goes toe to toe with the criminal boss behind all of the brothers’ problems, Hurg.

While Todd McFarlane’s influence on every issue is probably lesser than that of Kirkman’s, this series still feels very much like it is the answer to the question, “what if Robert Kirkman created SPAWN?” The answer is that while it would still involve a supernaturally empowered hero, a lot of gore and “gritty” panels, and some vague-yet-complicated origin involving the dead and black ops work, it also has more of a sense of humor. Hurg, whose name sounds like a retch sound, may be a large bruiser of a crime boss, but he is also a health and organic food fanatic to the point that offering him a “normal” sandwich with preservatives is considered a torture attempt. His main assassin and lackey, Cobra, is perhaps the most clichéd member of the cast, a castaway from the 1990’s from name to uniform, but this issue proves that this is intentional. Not even his girlfriend takes him seriously, despite the fact that in theory he should be scary. Kurt Kilgore is a ghost that only Daniel can see and speak with, and while he is always eager to offer advice or combine for a battle, he is quick to vanish when a blabbering co-worker emerges. Thus, while on the surface this work may seem to derive from McFarlane’s bygone 90’s era, Kirkman injects enough self-aware 21st century style quirks and humor that it works a lot better than a bit of the early, humorless SPAWN material.

Capullo had some big shoes to fill, taking over for INVINCIBLE artist Ryan Ottley as of issue six, but he alongside the inks fills that void so well that it sometimes is hard to tell that the regular artist changed for this arc. There are some indulgent panels that just seem to be trying to stretch a scene an extra page, but by and large things move along at a brisk pace, at least compared to something like Marvel’s INVINCIBLE IRON MAN. Nearly every issue has an action sequence and takes many of the bizarre subject matter with earnest seriousness, but things are never too serious that a one liner or a comedic scene are out of place, either.

This is very gritty material when placed beside GUARDING THE GLOBE #2. But it usually has more amusing bits than SHADOWLAND has lately. While this series isn’t perfect, it is still $2.99 per issue and the first trade was priced at a near bargain rate (as Image often does with initial trade volumes). If one was ever into SPAWN but fell off after a while (like many have), or enjoys supernatural heroics with some wet-works thrown in, give this a try. It is a bit of an acquired taste, however. Not Kirkman's best, nor his worst (that would have been his run on ULTIMATE X-MEN, sold at the same price per issue and selling thrice as well).

CHAOS WAR #2: This was my top book at Examiner, and how could it not be? It's Marvel's latest "mini event" (and in terms of spin-off material, it is only slightly smaller than HOUSE OF M was) that ups the stakes of the adventure to cosmic level, has all sorts of fun characters, and while more serious than PRINCE OF POWER, it is nowhere near as humorless as SHADOWLAND. When Eternity shows up and lays out some fortune cookie cosmic gibberish, the characters call him on it. Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente look to polish off their years on INCREDIBLE HERCULES was as spectacular an adventure as possible. It's hard to not be impressed with a threat like the Chaos King when he essentially drops every single Marvel team on earth at once with relative ease within the opening pages. Khoi Pham returns on art chores to cap off the series, with Thomas Palmer on inks and Sunny Gho just knocking it out of the park with color work.

After killing Nightmare and taking over the realm of dreams, Chaos King is able to incapacitate every mortal hero he faced, as well as a slew of the mortals across the globe. That's only a warm up, though, as he invades Pluto's underworld to add to his conquest. It is established that only gods, or those enchanted by gods like Cho (and to a degree, Venus) are immune to the effects of the King's attack. But after that, it get trickier. Sersi is immune, as is the Silver Surfer; it is assumed that Eternals and Heralds are close enough to gods that they're immune. Galactus is also perfectly fine. But then how is Damian Hellstrom, the Son of Satan immune? Marvel can't ever agree as to which demon they have in hell is really the real Satan or just knock off versions. At any rate, a bold new God-Squad is quickly assembled, and I probably like this version more than the last. Hercules and Cho are the only returning members, which sort of puts it on par with the average new Avengers team. The downer is that many casual readers will not "buy" this series as being "important", so I do wonder if calling this AVENGERS: CHAOS WAR would have been better; Thor, Hercules, Cho, and Sersi were all Avengers. We have the DEAD AVENGERS mini coming up, of course. Sersi is back to acting like her usual self, which is a lot of fun. Silver Surfer has gone from "boring" to "raging asshat", but fortunately he settles in. At any rate, Hellstorm has proven to be very adept at showing up at little promoted yet vital events; he helped save God in GHOST RIDERS: HEAVEN'S ON FIRE, and will be pitching in his fork in this one.

Perhaps the only downer is Chaos King's redesign once he takes over the realm of the dead. He reminds me of a villain Mark Millar made for FANTASTIC FOUR, the Muppet Of Desperation (or if you prefer, Marquis Of Death), only with the bed-sheet hood trades for some steroids. It certainly opens the door for that flood of CHAOS WAR material featuring currently deceased characters. I am genuinely interested in who will be resurrected, and who won't.

And at the end, we have more Cho vs. Mikaboshi Twitter feeds, and some haikus from Marvel fans that are hilarious.

I like big adventures, I like eclectic team ups, I like good dialogue, epic stakes and a tale that is serious overall but also knows what to chuckle at itself. CHAOS WAR provides all this, and I'm definitely game for more. Not much more to say other than to continue with the good stuff, and why can't they all be this entertaining?

Dread's Bought/Thought for 10/20/10 Part Two (of Two):

SHADOWLAND: POWER MAN #3: In theory this is a SHADOWLAND spin-off mini, but that's just the backdrop to introduce a new legacy character as well as give Iron Fist something important to do since his own title was canceled - I mean "put on hiatus". One could read this mini by itself and I am convinced not be lost without reading SHADOWLAND. Fred Van Lente's primary concern is to introduce Victor Alvarez, the newest Power Man, and attach him to the bizarre 1970's street world of Iron Fist and Luke Cage. Mahmud Asrar continues to handle exceptional pencils, with Scott Hanna on inks and Bruno Hang on colors. A six issue sequel mini has already been commissioned, but I do wonder how poorly that may sell. The first issue of this mini sold at over 21,200 copies, while the second slid to 17,647 copies. That's better than some of Marvel's canceled or soon to be canceled ongoings, like HAWKEYE & MOCKINGBIRD, IRON MAN LEGACY or YOUNG ALLIES, but still not special. One wonders if the next link in the chain will do any better. Of course, you might argue that without the SHADOWLAND banner, a POWER MAN #1 that featured a new character would NOT have debuted at 21k for $3.99 an issue.

This issue gets around to explaining where Victor's powers come from and setting up his moral dilemma in clear, blunt terms. Which is fine; this is part 3 of 4. Luke Cage departs the tale after two pages and Iron Fist takes over as the adult supporting hero here. The only parts that matter to SHADOWLAND is that it is the backdrop of the area and that Victor has a feud with some spare Hand Ninja; seriously, who doesn't by now? Once again, Victor learns the hard way that trusting the Internet for leads is no safer than the old telephone manner, as he walks into another baited meeting. Only this time, it is some corrupt cops working for legitimate urban crooks like Cottonmouth and Nightshade. Or, as she insists, Deadly Nightshade.

I liked how Van Lente actually takes the same origin and does two different spins on it, which both work. To Deadly Nightshade, a woman of science, a set of lenses she gave to Victor's dad Shades that could absorb bio-electicity for power got embedded in his skin after his old building was blown up by Bullseye. To Iron Fist, however, "bio-electricity" is chi, and that's a whole spiritual martial arts world for him. Given that we've seen future solicitations for POWER MAN & IRON FIST, it does ruin the cliffhanger a bit, although even without that, it isn't hard to guess what happens in issue four. But that's not important; Van Lente isn't a good writer because he always seeks to outsmart his audience or reinvent the wheel; just by providing solidly executed, entertaining stories.

New characters are tough to pull off, but I am liking Victor. I think he is coming together a lot better than Amadeus Cho came off that first year or so. His past is entrenched into Luke Cage's often overlooked pre-prison days, as well as having a connection to Danny Rand. It also forces Rand to try to move into a mentor's position, which he hasn't done before. Ironically, while Luke Cage was the more "street" member of their tag team, he's probably more detached from the area, being with the Avengers and Thunderbolts and being a married middle class man now. Rand was rich, but he's remained in the area, running his dojos to help the youth. It's an interesting dynamic. I am looking forward to the end of this issue and the next six to come.

STEVE ROGERS: SUPER SOLDIER #4: Seriously, how can you top the image of Steve Rogers using dual flame throwers on that cover? This is a spin-off mini series to CAPTAIN AMERICA as well as SECRET AVENGERS from Ed Brubaker, and sales have held up pretty well, especially in comparison to stuff like FOREVER ALLIES. I hated losing Dale Eaglesham on FANTASTIC FOUR, but he definitely delivered the goods on this series, alongside Andy Troy's great colors. To be blunt, this mini series was probably better in quality than the first four issues of SECRET AVENGERS, and even some issues of the last CAPTAIN AMERICA arc. While Brubaker utilizes the WWII flashbacks too much, he seems to have a different handle on Rogers than other characters, even Barnes to a degree.

Rogers and the robot of his old girlfriend have a final showdown with Machinesmith to prevent him from selling yet another replication of the super-soldier serum out on the open market. I know it is supposed to be a major thing, but, aren't there better supplements to sell? MGH can easily make someone more powerful than Rogers. Attempts to duplicate the success of that serum have created monsters or even more powerful beings. But, I digress. The final battle is pretty good, with a twist ending that seeks to further build up the Shadow Council from SECRET AVENGERS. The sad thing is that Brubaker saves his big Avengers villains for solo stories like this, while in SECRET AVENGERS, there's nary a decent rogue like Baron Zemo or Machinesmith to be had. Beast and Sharon Carter naturally have a cameo in this issue, and it seems Beast has settled into that comfy position of "smart guy on the Avengers named Hank" after so many years with the X-Men. The problem with the Shadow Council is right now they're a vague mysterious threat, but not a threat that makes you gasp in horror or feel they're especially a challenge to the Avengers yet. I mean, sure, Max Fury, John Steele and a platoon of super soldiers could give Rogers, Carter, and Widow a run for their money...until Valkyrie slaughters them all or War Machine has all his missiles locked. I mean, c'mon, the standard Asgardian horde of trolls has to at least be as bad as soldier soldiers, if not worse. You need Class 5 strength to just open large doors in Asgard. But, I digress.

This mini was good, although I do wish Brubaker would give some of the subplot conspiracy a rest in SECRET AVENGERS and try busting out some real villains there, like he does on Cap solo titles here.

Has Marvel been using some new kind of paper for their books? I'm not sure if anyone else has been noticing it...but, after I read one of their comics, the pages of the book have some weird curves to it. It just doesn't lay flat when I put it back into the bag. It bugs the crap out of me, too.

Anyway, a few more reviews.

The Stand: Hardcases #4

I love this comic; but, I loved the original unabridged book by Stephen King, too. This is one of those key issues where not a lot happens...but, quite a bit actually does. Frannie discovers Harold has read her diary (and, while we still scream at her through the pages to do something about it, nothing happens), Larry Underwood finally meets Harold (and, while we scream at him to follow his senses and look at the mysterious, hidden book he finds, nothing happens), the Ad-Hoc Committee meets for the first time and decides to send three people to spy on Randall Flagg, and in the end, Mother Abagail decides to exile herself away from Boulder.

Where as The Gunslinger gives readers many untold stories of Roland's adventures, The Stand sticks to the original story; and, I appreciate that. It's a nice trip down memory lane for me, and I'm thankful that Marvel is taking their time and not rushing things. The art is fantastic, too. :yay::yay:

Kick-Ass 2 #1

Hmmm. I liked this issue...but, I also strongly feel that it doesn't even closely compare to my enjoyment of the first one. It's cool to see Hit-Girl back again, even though at the end of the first series, we're told she forever retired from the superhero game. (Yeah...we KNEW they'd have to bring her back, as she was the shining star in the original comic and the movie.) This time around, though, it's about making up a team (like the Avengers or Justice League). Problem is that besides Hit-Girl, we don't get a whole lot of character development. The reader is thrust into the action right off the bat, given a quick update on Kick-Ass' love life (or lack thereof); and, by issue's end, he's got his team. Can't believe I'm saying it...but, I wish that things could slow down a bit. I like this book for the characters more than for the action. :yay:

Oh, and AgentEnforcer, it's possible your character is in this book, as we see this new team that Kick-Ass is joining; it's just they aren't named, as they appear at the very end of this issue. I guess next issue we'll learn who they are.

Steve Rogers: Super Soldier #4

This was a nice, little mini. Nothing spectacular. But, a better Brubaker Cap-story than what I've been reading lately. I wasn't a big fan of Machinesmith; but, I did like how he met his end by the conclusion of this issue. And, the ending does leave things open for more to come later. (Seriously, though...I've had more than enough stories featuring Captain America trying to stop people from making more super soldier serum. It almost feels like the go-to plot when it comes to this character.) :yay:

Chaos War #2

Ya know what came to mind while I was reading this issue? How sad for the Thanos mini that this book is almost overshadowing it. Couldn't Marvel have finished the one cosmic event before going onto the next one? I'm not sure if it's intentional; but, I almost feel like Marvel is done with Nova, The Guardians Of The Galaxy, and all that cosmic stuff, and is ready to move onto a different direction.

That said, I liked this second issue much more than the first. Things have really picked up, and Pak and Van Lente seem to be having a ton of fun bringing in so many guest stars for this project. My only complaint might be that the taking over of Hell went a bit fast. I'm hoping the upcoming tie-ins can expand on certain parts later, much like we had with Final Crisis. :yay::yay:

Steve Rogers: Super Soldier #4

This was a nice, little mini. Nothing spectacular. But, a better Brubaker Cap-story than what I've been reading lately. I wasn't a big fan of Machinesmith; but, I did like how he met his end by the conclusion of this issue. And, the ending does leave things open for more to come later. (Seriously, though...I've had more than enough stories featuring Captain America trying to stop people from making more super soldier serum. It almost feels like the go-to plot when it comes to this character.) :yay:
One go-to plot for Cap. The other being something from his WWII days coming back to haunt him in the present. I swear, Marvel's present has more WWII stuff than the History Channel.

I'm holding out hope that Steve Rogers:Super Soldier becomes an ongoing book as well as the mini sold. I think there's a pretty good shot with the movie right around the corner.

I think it's more likely Steve will just take over the Cap position again before the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"