Bought/Thought for 10/20/10 - SPOILERS!

Exactly, like I could see MGH as distinct from just being a super soldier serum if it definitively gave you say, a completely random mutant superpower, so you have some total roulette-wheel chance of getting like, eyebeams or shapeshifting or fire-control or being the Blob or whatever the hell.

But for the most part it just seems to like, make people a whole bunch stronger and more durable and such. With aberrations at a rate that any decent evil organization would consider an entirely acceptable loss ratio.

There's really no good in-universe reason why AIM or *strawman evil-government country, MU equivalent of Qurac or whatever* isn't using the **** out of this stuff.

...or even the plain-old US government! I mean the MU's USA has always had an at-best complex relationship with evil, you can't say that they wouldn't put together a group of a couple of hundred reasonably expendable guys, test their MGH tolerance and then drop 'em into warzones or whatever.

Last edited:
They don't need to at the moment. Since what was once SHIELD is now an agency entirely devoted to the US and its current boss is stocking it with more superhumans than they know what to do with, they've basically got something even better than a SSS- or MGH-enhanced army: an army of totally willing volunteers with stable (and sometimes astronomical) powers who'll basically do whatever Steve tells them to because he's Steve f***ing Rogers, goddamnit. Granted, that leaves out stuff like black ops and assassination missions and such, but just having some of these guys show up on some foreign leader's doorstep is a pretty solid deterrent.

Dang. Farscape's issue this week had pretty much the biggest change since Rygel finally took the throne of Hyneria back when Boom started publishing Farscape comics. And yet it made perfect sense and, looking back, I can clearly see the pieces falling into place to permit--or maybe even demand--it. Should be interesting to see what Aeryn does with this new position, not to mention how it affects the rest of the crew. I can see the pieces moving across the board toward a really massive confrontation with whatever new threat the Grennij are supposed to be the vanguard for. Moya's crew now have two galaxy-spanning armies to call on, so you know it's gonna be pretty huge. Chiana's subplot and the bland art still aren't doing much for me, but the main plot is enough that it doesn't really bother me. Can't wait to see what's up with the Scarrans and where things go from here. :up:

Ya know, I'm really jealous how some of you guys can write such good reviews. Sometimes I read a comic, think "I liked it" or "I didn't really like this one;" but, just don't have the words to express myself well enough to explain why.

Anyways, I subbed at Middle School for the first time today. Needless to say, I'm glad to be home! Here are some reviews before new books come out tomorrow.

Green Lantern Corps #53

Ya know, this issue wasn't really that bad; but, I compare it to how much I used to enjoy this book's first 30 or so issues, and feel they've gotten away from a lot of the fun this comic used to be. It's called Green Lantern Corps; but, so many of those great characters that used to grace this book just don't even show up any longer. Plus, everything is bogged down with all the different colored rings, that simple missions are a thing of the past. This issue, we even get a new villian, The Weaponer...and, I just don't find myself caring that much. (The scene where he takes his hammer/mace to the Sinestro Corps member was pretty awesome, though.) :dry::yay:

Loki #1

I liked this issue...much more than Fraction's Thor, that's for sure. I like the story is told from Loki's point of view; and, the reader can sympathize with him. (The question is whether his point of view is actually how events transpired.) :yay:

Thor: First Thunder #2

I really liked the first issue of this book, but the second didn't grab me like the previous one did. At times, this art is kind of ugly to look at, especially when it comes to the faces. Also, I'm not sure I need ANOTHER story featuring Loki. (Still...better than Fraction's Thor.) :dry::yay:

X-Men #4

This one came out last week; but, I have to say it's not as good as the previous three issues. Not sure if anyone else felt the story is starting to head towards mediocrity; but, what started out great with the Dracula one-shot just took a big step back. (Even the art looked worse than usual.) :dry:

X-23 #1 & 2

That said, I really, really loved these first two issues. Liu gets this character (and, old members of the New X-Men) interesting again...even pointing out that the X-Men's treatment of her isn't that dissimiliar to how she was treated before coming to the X-Men. Liu sets up relationships, something sorely missing since New X-Men came to an end, before getting into the action. Nicely done! :yay::yay:

Supergirl #57

Nothing great...nothing that terrible. Another mixed review book; but, thankfully an issue that finally ends the Bizarro World storyline. Turns out Bizarro Supergirl is more like regular Supergirl; and, things get a bit emotional before they figure out how to finish off the creature trying to destroy Bizarro World. (That creature isn't anything that original, and the story suffers because of it.) :dry::yay:

Knight and Squire #1

Not sure if it's because I don't get the British humor...but, this issue that came out last week didn't do a thing for me. Sure, it was cute; but, I never laughed out loud. Glad to see some others find it very humorous, though. (Someone from my shop just love it, also.) Guess this is a "different strokes for different folks" kind of book. :dry:

The Sixth Gun #5

Decent issue. I'm liking this book well enough, even though it's nothing ground-breaking. It's just a fun read with lots of action. :yay:

(Gotta stop my reviews. Kid needs to be picked up from football practice.)

X-23 #1 & 2

That said, I really, really loved these first two issues. Liu gets this character (and, old members of the New X-Men) interesting again...even pointing out that the X-Men's treatment of her isn't that dissimiliar to how she was treated before coming to the X-Men. Liu sets up relationships, something sorely missing since New X-Men came to an end, before getting into the action. Nicely done! :yay::yay:

Is this stand alone or is it necessary to buy Wolverine since I know it's tieing in. I like the character and since you say it's good I'd like to give it a shot but I don't want to start picking up Wolverine.

There are a few things in both issues that you might be a bit confused about if you have not been following Wolverine's main title; but, you can catch on pretty quick by knowing there are two Wolverine's right now. Logan is in Hell, and someone (or something) has taken over his physical body here on Earth. (Kind of like with the Curse Of The X-Men one-shots...it's not essential reading, but you might miss out on some thing that you'll be interested in finding out.)

Morning Glories #3

This is one of those comics that I just can't put down into words. I know I've been enjoying it; but, it's not like this is some well-written story that hooks me on the characters. We've seen this before, and it brings to mind Gen13...and, I can't say that I've become invested in any of the characters. They're all pretty generic representations of particular teenage students. BUT, I'm liking the book. (I also appreciate that Image is only charging $3.50 an issue.) :yay:

Walking Dead #78

This book often becomes bogged down with all the characterization, and we get very little Zombie action for months on end. It doesn't mean the book is bad; it just means that the main horror component of this comic is sometimes sorely missing. Well, good news. By the end of this issue, Zombie ACTION is gonna pick up!!!

The people we met at the end of last issue decide to demand the little safe-haven community let them in, only to learn it's not nice to demand things from Rick and company. (They've dealt with this human problem too often in the past 78 issues...and, they're really prepared in dealing with such things.) I was surprised this was resolved so quickly; and, very happy to see what the real consequences are going to be. Can't wait for the next couple issues. BRING ON THE ZOMBIES!!!! :yay::yay:

BTW, if you guys are like me, you're excited for The Walking Dead premiering on Halloween; but, last night, the first of a five-part show called Dead Set started. (It's on five nights in a row.) It's "What if Zombies invaded the BBC Big Brother set." I haven't watched the first episode yet; but, I can't wait to see it. I hear great things about this show.

Hopefully they replay that first episode for those interested...or maybe it will be on InDemand.

Exactly, like I could see MGH as distinct from just being a super soldier serum if it definitively gave you say, a completely random mutant superpower, so you have some total roulette-wheel chance of getting like, eyebeams or shapeshifting or fire-control or being the Blob or whatever the hell.

But for the most part it just seems to like, make people a whole bunch stronger and more durable and such. With aberrations at a rate that any decent evil organization would consider an entirely acceptable loss ratio.

There's really no good in-universe reason why AIM or *strawman evil-government country, MU equivalent of Qurac or whatever* isn't using the **** out of this stuff.

...or even the plain-old US government! I mean the MU's USA has always had an at-best complex relationship with evil, you can't say that they wouldn't put together a group of a couple of hundred reasonably expendable guys, test their MGH tolerance and then drop 'em into warzones or whatever.

Yeah, the Marvel U.S. government is always particularly shady. Often during Republican administrations in real life, but not always. After all, Venom got a federal badge and so on during Clinton's administration. The Marvel federal government seems to often be obsessed, or have those within it obsessed, with creating or finding superhumans who are loyal to them only and act as weapons. Whether that means funding an experiment that creates a monster or menace, or utilizing criminals as soldiers (like Freedom Force), it doesn't matter.

To be fair, AIM did use some similar stuff in TASKMASTER #1 - they shot themselves up with some sort of super 'roid while shouting their mantra, "DEATH BY SCIENCE!"

MGH does or reacts to whatever a writer wants in a story, basically. Bendis introduced it as a Maguffin element and other writers have followed suit. Some interesting stories have come of it (such as in RUNAWAYS, Dagger being attacked by someone obsessed with her who was on Cloak MGH, thus framing the original for harming her), and some stinkers, like with anything. There should be some defined rules, but this is the same Marvel that used the SHRA as a lynch-pin act to their universe for about four years and no two editors or writers could fully agree on the specifics. The Joe Q era seems to favor writer individuality over editorial stability, for better or worse.

They don't need to at the moment. Since what was once SHIELD is now an agency entirely devoted to the US and its current boss is stocking it with more superhumans than they know what to do with, they've basically got something even better than a SSS- or MGH-enhanced army: an army of totally willing volunteers with stable (and sometimes astronomical) powers who'll basically do whatever Steve tells them to because he's Steve f***ing Rogers, goddamnit. Granted, that leaves out stuff like black ops and assassination missions and such, but just having some of these guys show up on some foreign leader's doorstep is a pretty solid deterrent.

To be fair, there still are black ops missions being run. Steve Rogers runs some of them personally, or leads his squad of Secret Defenders, er, Avengers, to do so. James Barnes, as Captain America, also runs those types of missions sometimes.

There are secret missions, yes, but not assassinations and such. That's not Steve's style.

BTW, if you guys are like me, you're excited for The Walking Dead premiering on Halloween; but, last night, the first of a five-part show called Dead Set started. (It's on five nights in a row.) It's "What if Zombies invaded the BBC Big Brother set." I haven't watched the first episode yet; but, I can't wait to see it. I hear great things about this show.

Hopefully they replay that first episode for those interested...or maybe it will be on InDemand.
Dead Set is fantastic. I saw it a while ago. :up:

There are secret missions, yes, but not assassinations and such. That's not Steve's style.

True. Although if a threat has to be eliminated, the option is on the table. Rogers IS a soldier. He just doesn't make killing a priority, nor utilize it as the first option.

These days he's like a lighter, buffer Nick Fury. Still willing to do the secret agent spy mission stuff, but with less sniping and more "jump through a window and punch people" :up:

Dead Set is fantastic. I saw it a while ago. :up:

Yep! Watched the first two episodes last night, and I'm really impressed with the amount of gore they show. I see why they're showing it at midnight. Can't wait for the next episode tonight.

Brightest Day #12

I'm getting kind of bored with this book, as you might tell from how low down on my "must read" list this book has dropped. This issue heavily featured Martian Manhunter, a character that I just can't get into that much. In fact, the various stories that I've read about him in the past five or so years all seem to have the same dang theme: Martian Manhunter finds evidence of other Martians on Earth. If the go-to story with Cap-Steve is the Super Soldier Serum, this is even more-so with Martian Manhunter.

The other story touched on was Firestorm battling a horde of Black Lanterns. It didn't do much for me, either; and, I don't hold out much hope for the next issue, which appears will feature Hawkman and Hawkgirl. :dry:

I love the Martian Manhunter but I have the same complaint. Enough with the "Gasp! Another Martian, you say?!" plots already. If they had done almost anything else with him, I'd be a lot more into his story. As it stands, I'm still buying Brightest Day primarily for Aquaman, Aliveman, and Firestorm a this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"