Bought/Thought for 12/4/08 (spoilers inside)!

Whoa. I just read X-Men Noir and damn. It was actually pretty f-ing cool! Very unexpected way of changing things up.

Also, New Avengers was great. I loved Alias and that was pretty cool story. It was cool seeing Gaydos reunite with Bendis with a new colorist. Very cool stuff.

As I almost always pick up a first issue of a new series, I gave Vertigo's new title, Haunted Tank, a try. OMG! I am laughing my butt off!!! Jeb Stuart, the calvary ghost who continues to wage war, assisting his "proud blood lineage," gets the shock of his life when he discovers that lineage is shared with a black man. Neither take the news well...and, the conversation can NOT be repeated here. If you don't buy it, at least read their interaction at your LCS in the middle of the book.

any word on Dark Horse maybe going above $2.99?

I don't really have a problem with buying issues over $3 when they are worth it, like "Criminal 2".
hopefully, "Incognito" will continue the tradition.

As I was putting comics into boxes and such, I looked at earlier issues of NEW AVENGERS. Believe it or not, NEW AVENGERS #1 was priced at $2.25 in 2004. It went up by .50 in 2005 and didn't hit $2.99 until about 2006. Note that Bill Jemas was the big defender of keeping comics below $2.99 whenever possible, especially if they were big sellers or they wanted more readers to try them. Once his influence was purged from Joe Q's tenure (he had some influence in the early Joe Q years), the prices went up, but slower and steadier. If I recall, one of the last books to increase in price was ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN, because the idea was that kids read it.

Fast forward to 2008, and BAM, $1 increase. No gradual stuff. Unless you count "gradual" as, "one month, all mini's are $3.99, even mid-run. Then another, all Avengers books. And later--" and so on.

Frankly, Marvel is publishing too many books. There are a lot of dead weight titles and maybe if they stopped with pointless stuff like some random, underpromoted mini's or one-shots to fill in for late books, prices could remain lower. They're flooding the market and starting to charge $4 a book. This happened once before, and the results were not pretty.

Speaking of the devil...

SECRET INVASION #8: Despite a delay of a few weeks with the last chapter, SECRET INVASION has actually come out on schedule, which is something FINAL CRISIS could not do which is a large reason, many believe, of why it is outselling the competition. That and the simpler premise.

This is the main event, folks. I may be here a while. As SECRET INVASION comes to a close, it, of course, leads to the next event, as well as gives a chance to comment on the entire body of work, now that it is done.

As always, Bendis offers no one any surprises. In many ways, the ending is similar to the ending of SECRET WAR. In SECRET WAR, the head villain, some nasty chick, creates a giant biological bomb that makes everyone scream and levitate, according to the art. She is then taken down by someone out of nowhere with a big gun. SECRET INVASION #8 ends the exact same way. Only this time, trade "bunch of supervillians" for "the Wasp" as the bomb, trade Von Bardas for Veranke, and swap the "gunman out of nowhere" from Nick Fury to Norman Osborn. Yes, yes, Osborn has done some stuff in IRON MAN: DIRECTOR OF SHIELD and THUNDERBOLTS to build up to this. But little has been done to build Osborn in the core mini that most people read, and haggles like that remind me of CIVIL WAR. Everyone lashed out on WORLD WAR HULK, but in retrospect Pak was far more focused. I am waiting for the day when Bendis can write something, anything, that every single reader on the Internet can't predict with 100% accuracy and that doesn't just rip off some past work of his. Claremont is a hack now but he made it over 15 years before he had to rip himself off shamelessly. Bendis hasn't even been going for one decade and he's never written anything new for years now. He just changes the details and the agents.

There also is a strange and disturbing trend of misogyny in his work. Under Bendis' pen, Scarlet Witch went from stable and strong heroine to typical out-of-control hysterical nymphomaniac. Tigra was pistol whipped and made to beg for mercy in her own bedroom by the Hood and Jigsaw; a scene a few female readers on blogs claimed "felt like reading a rape". He wrote Dr. Doom making the most crass and low down insults about female bodies since Andrew Dice Clay was banned from MTV. He sets up seemingly invincible female adversaries like Von Bardas or Veranke who in the end can be undone and made into whimpering feebs by random attackers. And nearly every large scale event of his requires the personal or physical death of a female character, this time the Wasp. The Wasp is a curious figure; over 40 years old and a founding Avenger, but is barely on the B-List and probably not one too many people will miss. While I am not saying Bendis is a sexist; he has also written his share of interesting and dynamic women, I am just saying if Bendis continues, there may be no decent heroines left in the Avengers franchise.

Thor manages to save everyone from the Wasp-bomb by banishing her into oblivion with a tornado (or something). Bendis writes a few speaking scenes and of course has missed the memo from JMS that Thor no longer speaks in "thy" and "thou" in his own book. In just a few pages, as if it was no threat at all, the heroes finish off the Skrulls and smash all of their ships. Um, yay? Eh, oh well.

On the plus side, everyone the Skrulls had taken are found alive. An explanation is given that "their new shifting process needed DNA" and "live hostages were a bargaining chip" and all that and it almost makes sense. That at least means that the worst superhero ever, at least in Bendis' eyes, Hank "I did nothing but beat my wife for 40 years" Pym is perfectly fine, as are Dugan, Elektra, Susan Richards and of course, Spider-Woman. That limits the damage done to the universe and at least means that other writers who want to use some of these characters won't have to mop up much. The biggest caveat is Mockingbird, who was seemingly taken from the Skrulls during the West Coast days. The problem is that various heroes have literally MET HER IN THE UNDERWORLD. There is no way to explain that if the dead Mockingbird was a Skrull. None. It would have been a Skrull soul. It would not have looked human. She's been on the LEGION OF THE UNLIVING how many times? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for some romance or reunions, but this is one where the explanation, "oh, the one who was killed by Mephisto was a Skrull" doesn't work. It doesn't work so much that it makes me genuinely curious about whether Bendis actually knows HOW Mockingbird was killed, as in the details. I suppose someone could try winning a No-Prize by going, "Mephisto knew it was a Skrull but hid her identity, even after she was killed and would have reverted, just to be nasty to Hawkeye, because he is mean & petty like that", but even that is more annoying than it should be. I pity the poor Handbook writer who has to make sense of that crap. Retcons suck, don't they?

Can Clint go back to at least using arrows? Ninjas are old hat. They even used arrows anyway. No? Forget it, then. Bendis is one of those guys whose only research on ninjas was watching the Ninja Turtles in the 80's, or AMERICAN NINJA films on CINEMAX.
Jim McCann is writing New Avengers: The Reunion. As a self professed WCA ****e, McCann says he will explain in full how and where Bobbi was replaced and how she's appeared in the underworld. FYI.

X-Infernus #1 was decent. I picked it up because I kind of like Magik from way back in the New Mutants days and I really like Giuseppe Camuncoli's art. The issue was pretty good. Colossus and Cyclops' argument at the beginning was great, since someone finally called Cyclops out on being a dick in at least one section of his life. I think Cyclops might be my new Iron Man, in that I get all giggly and happy whenever someone exposes him for the *****e he is or kicks his ass. This may be the only time I'd ever wholeheartedly approve of Wolverine kicking Cyclops' ass, if any X-Men writers ever decide to make that happen.

Anyway, back to X-Infernus (which is a really clunky title). Magik gets all ultraviolent in Limbo, which was a bit offputting, but I guess if I can forgive Thor for killing every superhuman under the sun and taking over the world with only part of his soul missing, I can forgive Illyana for beheading some demons with her entire soul missing. Not a huge fan of Pixie, who strikes me as literally nothing more than Illyana and Kitty from the '80s put together in a spritely English youth's body, but I'm curious to see what the relationship between her, Illyana, Nightcrawler, and the Soulsword is. Illyana had some nice angst about not being able to face Piotr due to all her evilness, but you'd think a teleporter who can monitor everything in the world from Limbo would be able to figure out that maybe the X-Men just moved.

Still, this was a far more interesting story than I expected going in and I'm excited to see where it goes from here. I've found that I quite enjoy the X-Men if I can remove a few from the overall mission statement of the franchise, which seems to be "make them harder, edgier, and bigger assh**es," and just appreciate them as individual characters. Luckily, it looks like two of my favorite individual characters--Nightcrawler and Colossus--will factor into this story heavily. :up:
I wish Marvel would do a WEREWOLF BY NIGHT on going... :csad:

However, I believe Jack Russell is slated for the next Dead of Night mini... so hopefully, people are buying these books...

:cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

:csad:
#2 was #219 in October with just over 8,000 copies. I don't know what the standards are for MAX series involving very unknown characters, but I don't think 8,000 copies is too promising by any measure...

Last edited:
As I was putting comics into boxes and such, I looked at earlier issues of NEW AVENGERS. Believe it or not, NEW AVENGERS #1 was priced at $2.25 in 2004. It went up by .50 in 2005 and didn't hit $2.99 until about 2006. Note that Bill Jemas was the big defender of keeping comics below $2.99 whenever possible, especially if they were big sellers or they wanted more readers to try them. Once his influence was purged from Joe Q's tenure (he had some influence in the early Joe Q years), the prices went up, but slower and steadier. If I recall, one of the last books to increase in price was ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN, because the idea was that kids read it.

Fast forward to 2008, and BAM, $1 increase. No gradual stuff. Unless you count "gradual" as, "one month, all mini's are $3.99, even mid-run. Then another, all Avengers books. And later--" and so on.

Frankly, Marvel is publishing too many books. There are a lot of dead weight titles and maybe if they stopped with pointless stuff like some random, underpromoted mini's or one-shots to fill in for late books, prices could remain lower. They're flooding the market and starting to charge $4 a book. This happened once before, and the results were not pretty.
It's called inflation.

The comic industry's prices have risen far faster than the national rate of inflation to compensate for a shrinking market.

It's actually cheaper to buy old comics on sites, like mycomicshop.com, than continue to buy new issues. Many comics I tend to get for $1.49, and they are in VF or NM condition. (I don't care if it's not NM. They way shipping is going with my LCS, I find many comics nowadays have a little imperfections to them when I open the books.)

Not a huge fan of Pixie, who strikes me as literally nothing more than Illyana and Kitty from the '80s put together in a spritely English youth's body
She's Welsh.

Jim McCann is writing New Avengers: The Reunion. As a self professed WCA ****e, McCann says he will explain in full how and where Bobbi was replaced and how she's appeared in the underworld. FYI.

Classic Bendis; do something "bold" and leave some other writer to go through the trouble of actually thinking it through, explaining it, making it work, y'know, like a story? Bendis is too big for that stuff.

It's called inflation.

The comic industry's prices have risen far faster than the national rate of inflation to compensate for a shrinking market.

I agree with Corp. If the price of comics went up with inflation, that would get it to about $3.25 or $3.50 an issue, maybe $3.75. Now, of course, I am sure some are going, "at $3.75, what is an extra .24 an issue?" and that is the sort of greed that drives readers away. It is a very risky strategy to hike prices on a shrinking market.

Plus, I have noticed that Marvel is even trying to sucker the trade-waiters by releasing "mini" HC's of some books months before the trade, such as the HC of the last few issues of INCREDIBLE HERCULES to sell it at $19.99 instead of $14.99, for no extras besides a hard cover. I know, because I was compiling prices to jump in, and it was like, "wait an extra 4-6 months according to Amazon or literally get suckered out of a Lincoln". Considering that is hardly the best seller around, making it look less attractive to catch up in a hurry is not the best strategy.

Classic Bendis; do something "bold" and leave some other writer to go through the trouble of actually thinking it through, explaining it, making it work, y'know, like a story? Bendis is too big for that stuff.

Actually, McCann claims he requested the gig when her return was announced. Apparently it wasn't Bendis' idea to bring her back, either. What else ya got?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"