• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bought/Thought June 3rd 2009, SPOILERS contained within

Spider-Jay420

Welcome Back Peter Parker
Reaction score
Amazing Spider-Man #596 - Part 2 of American Son. Not a whole lot goes on. Still no reveal of American Son. That blonde chick Norah gets an undercover job as a tour guide of Avengers Tower to dig up dome dirt on Osborn, which Pete warns her is dangerous. Nice fight between Spidey and Gargan as he's pickin' up a hooker, (Gargan, not Pete.) with the help of Sue Storm. She provides a Symbiote-like suit for Peter, that Reed whipped up off panel, so he can sneak onto the Dark Avengers as Venom and rescue Harry. Although, Harry seems to have his own plans and doesn't look like he needs a rescue, yet. Norman warns his team that there's more to Harry than meets the eye and he is the key to his American Son project.

So far so good, and I'm curious as to how this arc will pan out. Oh, and JJJJJ Sr has a nice moment with Pete as May continues with the Wedding plans.

The end of Ultimate Spider-Man in the form of a silent issue. No dialog as Kitty (who can fly?) and Spider-Woman help survivors of the Ultimatum Wave and try to find Pete. SW gets thrown around the city like a rag doll by the Hulk, until he's distracted and jumps away. No sign of Peter until a shredded mask is found by Kitty. She brings the mask to May's house as everyone is gathered on the porch. May is in tears as Kitty hands the mask to Mary Jane and that's all folks for Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1. Not a great ending for the series, but we'll see what Requiem and Vol 2 bring. I won't be reading Vol 2, so I hope Requiem brings me some closure. We'll see.

From the end of Spidey to Batman Reborn, Batman and Robin #1 - picks up a few months after Batman's disappearance. I never liked Damien and really don't like the little prick as Robin but it's a cool change of dynamic for the Duo. Morrison is full of wacky ideas but I'm not sure I'm feeling this Circus of Strange thing he's setting up. New B&R stop a Toad guy who has a briefcase full of Dominoes, and some dude in a pig mask is about to torture another guy and his daughter as they are trying to leave town. I'll probably finish the arc, but I really want Bruce Wayne back. Dick is doing what he can as Batman, but he doesn't really want it, and feels he has to for Gotham's sake. We'll see, not as good as I'd hoped. Quietly isn't as sharp as he was on All Star Superman. Maybe he needs a different inker. Looked kind of sloppy and rushed. Eh, jury's still out on this one...

Captain Britain and MI13 Annual #1

Two stories here: the first I thought was pretty good; the second bored me, firstly because the frame is a cricket match, and I know absolutely nothing about cricket, so all the lingo was as relevant as technobabble, and because of the bizarre art. Anyway, back to the first story, Meggan's voyage through the various hells is neat, particularly when she comes before the "five-fingered cabal" of devils (Mephisto, Dormammu (why is he there, exactly? Isn't the Dark Dimension just a different dimension?), and a few others), and this issue even accounts for the absense from the initial cabal of Pluto. And then Meggan conquers Hell (or at least a part of it), an action which might perhaps lend itself to a more epic story than the few pages given here, but it's not especially relevant. There's a significant moment for Meggan here in that she settles on a permanent form (which, surprise, is basically the one she's always used), and, at issue's end, is brought by Doctor Doom back into our world, presumably to play a significant role in the finale. Max Collins, who did a few fill-in pages here and there previously, does a pretty good job with the story.

Mighty Avengers #25

If you thought Bendis' Avengers acted like 12-year-olds (and that's a complaint I've seen levelled against him here more than once), wait 'til you see the elementary school faceoff between Hank and Reed, which ends on "It's on, *****." I'm still trying to get a sense of what Slott is trying to do with Pym here. His stated goal is to make Hank a real, A-list hero, but he mostly comes across as his usual cranky, unstable self. It seems like we're in for the umpteenth "Hank faces his demons and overcomes them", which strikes me as fundamentally misguided. Several writers have done that; it doesn't stick, and it won't this time either. Better to just write him as a competent hero. A few years of that might have more impact on perceptions then another laundry cycle of overcoming past actions. Apart from Hank, the scene with Cassie and Cho was a nice acknowledgement of the helmet thing, though it seems like Cassie has added yet another admirer to her prospective harem. The art seems a bit of an off-choice for this title; it's semi-Yu, when last issue's Sandoval was a lot better. Competent, though, apart from a couple of really grotesquely gratuitous poses from Jocasta.

War of Kings #4

Over the half-way hump, last issue's switch from Gladiator to the side of the angels signalled a major shift in momentum. Indeed, things seem to be brightening considerably for the good guys through this issue, as many of the Shi'ar seem quite happy to have the prospect of a different ruler (new boss, same as the old boss; seriously, how many times has Lilandra retaken the throne?). Which means, of course, that things aren't going to work out, since the plot can't resolve this quickly. So the Fraternity of the Raptors (from the various Darkhawk-related tie-ins that I haven't been reading, though the leader sums things up succinctly in-story) appears to aide the Emperor, and stage an ambush as Lilandra engages in a ritual procession, the end-result being that Lilandra is assassinated. Fitting, I suppose, that she'd end up a martyr to the seemingly insurmountable task of running the Shi'ar Empire. More and more, this is setting up Gladiator in charge at story's end, I suspect. With Lilandra dead, Black Bolt will unleash whatever his big plan is, which should make for a suitably bloody finale.

Wow, I'm surprised the X-Men editors would allow them to off her in a storyline that's in one of their books.

Lilandra. :(

Although it was something I was thinking would be good for the story, but didn't think they would let them do. Gladiator will end this series as leader of the Shiar now I'm sure.

Wait till Charles finds out. :(

Short week but a good week to kick off June. As always, spoilers are intentional and blunt.

Dread's Bought/Thought for 6/3/09:

AGENTS OF ATLAS #6:
Considering how often I and others complain about Marvel books that are late or behind schedule (THOR, looking right at you), it is worth mentioning the rapid fire this series has been on lately. In six weeks we have gotten three issues; that's approximately two a month on average, or an issue every 2-3 weeks. That's something that is quite rare these days, at least without Mark Bagley. It probably helps that the book, like IMMORTAL IRON FIST for a while, has a rotating cast of artists.

Gabriel Hardman, who usually has been doing 50's flashback sequences on the book, does a full interior art story for a venture into the sea. The recap page, with a pirate theme, is hilarious; both this book and INCREDIBLE HERCULES really get a lot of mileage out of them for comedy. After learning that Namor is one of Osborn's "Cabal" and with an "in" with him via his cousin, Namora, the Agents decide to give the Prince of Atlantis a visit.

In a subplot, Derek Khanata, the Wakandan born SHIELD agent from the original 2005 mini series, has happily not been forgotten. He lost his job when SHIELD folded, and now he can't even get an interview for another federal position. It appears Osborn's reach now is so vast that no agency will let in a former SHIELD agent. What, is he unelected king of America now? Facing the possibility of having to move back to Wakanda, Derek is busy looking for want ads (thinking that private agencies involve more risk for ex-SHIELD agents) when he is offered a secret invitation. Will he be getting a job with the Agents of Atlas, or is this an invitation from their next upcoming enemy? Either way, looks good. Nice to see Derek again; I mean he had some moxy in the last AoA series, willing to punch a talking gorilla in the mouth; that takes some stones for someone without super-powers.

The rest of the agents venture into the deeps, while explaining why M-11 went berserk with Wolverine and sparked the fight with the New Avengers (that Spider-Man and Woo almost averted). Naturally, as Parker himself has stated in interviews, M-11 detected Wolverine as "Agent Logan" from the 50's mission in Cuba that blew him up, and without any concept of time or circumstance, reacted. M-11 has been rebuilt with Uranian technology, but of course the robot sometimes has his own agenda. The return to the ocean allows Namora to get in quite a lot of focus and a revisit to her backstory, fighting Nazi's alongside Namor in the 40's (and ironing out that she and Namor aren't GENETICALLY cousins, unlike, say, Black Bolt and Medusa). Parker also portrays Namor rather well, as hot-headed and arrogant as ever, but also one who works as a one-man navy to spare his people as much bloodshed as possible. With Atlantis having moved, Namor naturally wants his cousin to return to her roots, and she is strongly tempted. Woo and his allies are caught in-between needing her and wanting the best for her. A quick battle between Namor and the Agents breaks out once he discovers Bob reading his mind, which is quickly quelled by Venus' underwater song. Considering this is the second time Parker has used her to instantly end a fight could be on the verge of overuse; granted, that is also like complaining every time Batman gets out of a ridiculous situation with yet-another Bat-Gadget from his utility belt, or Captain America blocks yet-another wonky energy beam with his shield. It is what Venus does, and one either excepts it or not. Besides, it allowed quite a make-out page to happen. The Agents actually end up seemingly forging strong ties with Atlantis and enjoying their stay there, exploring the wild plants and creatures (and speculating about Mr. Lao the dragon back home). The ending is a little upbeat but also a bit abrupt; not quite a finale but just the story stopping due to running out of pages for the month. Granted, considering how quickly the last three issues have come out, I can't complain. For once it was nice seeing some group visit Namor and even after an obligatory "misunderstanding fight" things seem peachy between everyone. That used to happen with the Fantastic Four, but it's been ages. It was the first time I've seen Namor get along with anyone since CAPTAIN AMERICA a few months back. It's nice now and again. While I want Namora to stick with the team, she naturally has good reason to wanting to return home, so Parker did his job.

I still like the bond between M-11 and Namora, who she owes for saving her life. It had been a while since Namora got to meet her cousin and I think it was well handled. Hardman's art was excellent as always. The dialogue's fun and the cast of characters are as diverse as you can get. Really no reason to not be picking this book up. Twice a month or one, it's always a title I look forward to.

CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI-13 ANNUAL #1: The first and last annual of a dead book walking, as CB&MI-13 has been canceled officially for a while now, with two issues left before calling it a day. Cornell expressed online that the title did sell well in the U.K., but that wasn't enough. At any rate, while people are wary of $4 comics, annuals have been $4 for quite some time now, and at least this one isn't padded out with fluff like sketches, scripts, or reprints. It has a 22 page lead story and a 12 page back-up story, so you're basically paying for 36 pages of new material, or basically about one and a half comics. $4 for 36 pages is fine. Even the Greg Land cover isn't TOO atrocious, even if it's impossible to tell Meggan from all the OTHER Photoshopped, toothy blondes he "draws".

The lead story is meant to take place between Vampire State chapters and in that sense it works. "The Harrowing of Hell" with art by Mike Collins is pretty good, quickly getting past the first page that is a direct rip-off of a page from DC: THE NEW FRONTIER from Darwyn Cooke (it's probably unintentional as Meggan's powers allow her to shapeshift into what others believe of her, but it's familiar). At the end of the Plokta story, she wound up in Hell because Captain Britain still believed her to be dead, and in effect had to in order to beat Plokta's illusion and cease being his magical battery. That of course has left Meggan stuck in the underworld with no master or no clear path out. She wanders across the landscape and eventually meets the "lords" of the realm, a sort of "Five Fingered Hand" group of Satannish, Dormmamu, Mephisto, Hela, and Blackheart. Nice to know Mephisto and Blackheart are getting along these days, and that Dormmamu does other stuff besides prop up a loser like Hood. The story goes over Meggan's history and her connection to Excalibur, especially Brian Braddock. She is eventually warped into a demonic creature and ends up attracting a small army, and she begins to stage a sort of "rebellion" in hell after being returned to her true from by Pluto (in-between fighting Daken and then putting Zeus on trial in INCREDIBLE HERCULES; Pluto is a busy god), taking down some of the demon lords (at least Blackheart) and trying to spread a culture of happiness with the demons, which was a bit of a unique touch. She is led back to the living world by a beacon of hope, which she believes is Brian, but turns out to be Dr. Doom. He mentions bringing Meggan to the moon, which Doom of course knows is currently Dracula's vampire launch pad. Is he trying to aid Dracula by somehow offering Meggan as an ally or hostage, or is he trying to cement Dracula's undoing with a new variable? Dracula may believe he has a truce with Dr. Doom, but when written properly, Doom only keeps an alliance so long as it serves his needs. Perhaps Doom sees a nation of vampires across Europe as more trouble than it is worth to his needs. Granted, Doom has been willing to seemingly help people in return for a "favor" later on, such as Sharon Ventura in the FF some years ago. At any rate, it was a nice twist. Collin's art was exceptional, including for Doom himself.

I did like Cornell's take on her history with Brian and how the media would respond to it, such as contradicting origins for her, and even thinking Brian is a "pedo" since she is rather young.

The 12 page back up, "British Magic", struggles a bit in comparison. Adrian Alphona does the art and I have missed his stuff since he left RUNAWAYS. I think what does in the second story, beyond the fact that anyone who doesn't know cricket may be lost in sports-babble, is that it has some good moments, but they seem a little disjointed as a whole. The crux of the story is a merry gathering of MI-13 members in their off time, obviously between the Plokta mission and Vampire State, playing cricket to unwind. I must say it was amusing seeing Blade do something SOCIAL for once, and I think that is why Cornell succeeds with him; he writes Blade as a character who can interact with others and unclench, rather than what other writers do, which write him as a mission and nothing else. Brian is distracted thinking about Meggan from his perspective. He loved her, but always wanted her to live up to what she wanted, instead of being forever influenced by outsiders. Cornell even remembers that Nightcrawler was a member of the British team for a good, long time (even led it at some junctures).

As a minor, related note, my issue had a coloring error in it, a bit of a smudge. I have noticed that once a month I can't avoid a Marvel comic like this, and I get quite cross at Marvel telling me how expensive modern coloring is and inks and paper when I don't remember this crap happening as often back with "color dots" and newsprint paper. I never get this problem with DC comics, Dark Horse comics, or Image comics, and I read quite a few Image comics monthly. I wouldn't mind paying $4 an issue if they could guarantee this wouldn't happen again, but they can't, and I never can understand why Marvel's comics are exclusive with this. There were only two copies of this at my shop, so options were limited.

A perfectly fine annual, which naturally has me even more interested in the final two issues of the book, and where Cornell is going for the finale. Shame the book has to end.

Part Two:

MIGHTY AVENGERS #25: After skipping May, Dan Slott's Avengers title continues, and if the preview page is to be believed, issue #26 is only two weeks away. If true, that'd make up for being late. Khoi Pham does another cover and we are on our third interior artist in five issues, Stephan Segovia. I don't recall seeing him on other books and his style is a little different from the last two artists. He is similar to Lenil Yu's work, at least from the 90's or when Yu isn't rushing. There's nothing wrong with it aside for an odd vein or two, and some rather awkward T & A panels with Jocasta or the other female character of the issue, Ban-Luck from GRAMPA. Jocasta seems to be competing with Lilandra from WAR OF KINGS of trying for poses where her breasts and ass are both revealed. Ironically, both are robots as characters, only the former has a better excuse for acting like a robot, since she IS one.

The arc is "Mighty/Fantastic", which promises a brawl between the Mighty Avengers and the Fantastic Four. While Slott of course has a lot of experience with the Four, what with SPIDEY/TORCH and THE THING in his background, I was a bit wary at a hero in-fighting story so soon after reorganizing the team. The MIGHTY AVENGERS just stopped punching other heroes back when Iron Man was leading things. We already have the Dark Avengers for that. I was always curious, at best, of the rationale for it. Since, let's be honest, most superhero vs. superhero battles usually stem from overreactions to disagreements. If two normal people in real life accidentally bump into each other, an, "Oops, sorry, excuse me" is usually sufficient. If two spandex covered superheroes do that, though, they have to fight for a few pages and a few city blocks. Everyone mocks Razorback, but I always loved his notion of an obligatory hero brawl as being the same as a handshake in East Coast superhero society.

At any rate, to escape HAMMER last issue, Jocasta had to sever Pym's laboratory from their link to the "real world", which risked stranding the lab in that "Pym Pocket" forever if something isn't done within two days. Pym takes this news somewhat harshly, frustrated that his lab and work may be lost and unable to come up with a quick solution. He shouts at Jocasta, who is defended by Jarvis, while Hercules essentially reminds Pym to man up. That is something, Hercules trying to soothe someone else's temper for a change. Barely a few hours after aligning with the international agency GRAMPA to investigate paranormal threats overseas, U.S. Agent and Quicksilver are requested for a mission from said agency to Lhasa, Tibet. Walker is as eager to get started as expected from a soldier, while Pietro is frustrated that Wanda hasn't reappeared. Is it because Loki doubts her ability to fool Wanda's brother? With all due respect to Pietro, Loki was able to perfectly convince Thor to let his guard down at every juncture despite having tried to kill him about five dozen times within the last decade. Fooling Pietro would seem like a walk in the park, if Loki can have his mortal nemesis who should know him best get outwitted like a chump. The pair get dropped off in China at the closest "Pym portal", and end up meeting (and quickly fighting) GRAMPA agent Ban-Luck, who seems to be a fan of superheroes and Power Girl's fashion sense. The mission involves an alliance between the Inhumans and Chinise commies; Pietro is considered an expert on Inhuman affairs, and was requested personally. I like that this ties into his past with the Inhumans (being Crystal's ex-husband and all), but it gells poorly with WAR OF KINGS, which has had the Inhumans off world for quite some time now. Slott rarely makes so blatant a continuity blunder, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt; it could be a few straggler Inhumans left behind, or faulty intelligence (knowledge of Inhuman comings and goings is usually hardly perfect for outsiders). At any rate, a mission with Walker and Pietro together seems like conflict gold with both competing for top jerk.

Speaking of top jerk, probably the biggest controversy of the week comes in with Pym haveing a chat with Mr. Fantastic. Realizing he needs a device that he and Bill Foster built "a couple of years ago" (back when he was using his Yellowjacket guise again, at least), a dimensional wave inducer. Apparently the device was willed to Foster's pal Ben Grimm after he died, but now Pym's alive and wants it back; need it, basically, to solve his Pym Pocket problem. Reed, in perhaps blunt terms, claims that Pym's too irrational to handle the device, having just returned from being a Skrull captive and literally facing the deaths of the three people closest to him; Janet Van Dyne, Steve Rogers, and Bill Foster and with his history of unstability and brash actions under such circumstances. Pym proceeds to refute those claims by...cursing Reed out and planning to take out the Fantastic Four with Dr. Doom like zeal. Well.

It is a bit to take in. On the one hand, Reed does have a point in terms of cold, emotionless logic. Despite Pym having invented the thing, he has a long history of meltdowns with emotional stress, and he's obviously under a lot. It was obvious at Jan's funeral, after all; even Thor, too oblivious to figure out that Loki would betray him, saw that. And now Pym's altered his genetics further and has taken his wife's code-name, something that more than one character under Slott's pen has considered a bit wonky. If the machine is dangerous, handing it to him no matter what the crisis is a risk. On the other hand, which Pym snaps from his perspective, Reed has made quite a few "reckless" decisions and acts himself, and more recently than the 70's era of comics (retcons aside). The world may have forgotten that Reed helped build Clor, who slew Goliath, but Pym hasn't. The crisis with losing the lab is frustrating him and logic aside, Reed has as little authority to horde something Pym invented as Cho would have deeming Reed too unstable to, say, use his Negative Zone portal or unstable molecules (Reed was a fellow who had no idea that sending the Hulk into deep space could backfire, whose personal grudge with a college roommate birthed the worst villains of his generation, who literally SAVED THE LIFE OF GALACTUS ensuring countless billions across the universe would die at his hands). One conclusion could be that Reed and Pym both have ***hat moments. Reed never hit Sue, but he's had a long past of ignoring her at best and occasionally dishing out sexist verbal abuse at worst. Namor always has half a point every time he claims Reed doesn't appreciate her properly, and Namor is the personafication of reckless heroes. And I have to admit, Pym's "challenge" retort to Reed and everyone's reactions to it was hilarious.

On the other hand, it does smack of Pym basically proving Reed right. He needed help and surely there was some other way to get Reed's aid without the device, if he swallowed some pride (which, to be fair, neither scientist wanted to do). He wants to prove Reed wrong about being a danger by, basically, endangering the Four. It's like Batman thinking he could disprove the JLA's distrust of him by perfectly planning devices to kill them all and then bragging about it when Ra's uses it on them. "I did this to you, Kal! Bwahahaha!" It is hard for Pym to prove he's no longer an unstable jerk when he acts like an unstable jerk. It doesn't help that Pym is building a scary looking death machine in the basement and calling it "Salvation Two", as in the sequel to the robot he once sicced on the Avengers. It's like becoming a superhero and expecting to not be mistaken with a name like "Green Goblin" (yes, Phil Urich, you're an idiot). At least name the thing something different, man.

Handling Hank Pym is always a can of worms, to be honest. You go too overboard and he simply is a sack of walking faults, which was how Bendis usually wrote him. Where there is nothing but low esteem and wife-beating and you'd have no idea he did anything else. But there is a notion of going too overboard in the other direction, as some people have claimed. "Just write him as a competent hero" is one charge. The problem with that is that it ignores some currently relevant material and it would make Pym boring. The problem is that without a lot of his psychological issues, he is very, very, very boring. Without his foibles, Hank Pym is just a garden variety uber scientist, a dime a dozen in comics, only his thing is growing, shrinking, and bugs. Basically, the Atom. And I should note that the last time the Atom had a personality, he needed an inferiority complex and an insane wife. While I sometimes mock Reed Richard's foibles, such as his past of coldness and borderline sexism, without them, he's usually fairly stock in the hands of anyone but Mark Waid, above any human faults because he's so bloody brilliant. In fact, this comic was the first in a good, long while where Reed acted like a jerk for a good, human reason. Millar writes him with a mild smugness streak, but that's usually assured confidence. And to be fair, even if Slott wanted to make Pym a competent hero as a goal, simply ignoring having Pym pop back into the world after being "frozen" for about a year and finding three of his best friends dead, a world that thinks he's worthless, and coupled with a robot that has his dead ex wife's brain patterns as programming is itself inaccurate. He would have some reaction to Jan, Rogers, and Foster being all dead. Having unfinished business with Jan to be sure. Cap was the epitome of Avengers leadership, and Pym can never ask his advice or say farewell. Foster was one of few people who actually considered Pym's research as useful in a non-supervillain way, and he's dead; killed by a creation "know it all" Richards was just as reponsible for as Hank was for Ultron (and Reed nags him about Ultron, by the way). I can understand Pym losing his temper there. Perhaps Pym has been on an "overcoming personal demons" ride before, but that was the hand Slott was dealt by Bendis and SECRET INVASION; I just see him as trying to play out to logical conclusions. Pym WOULD be a bit unstable after all that. He would vent in some not so nice ways. Still, he is managing to run a team, and did save the world from Chthon.

I do think, though, that then planning the perfect "break and enter" raid of the Baxtor Building is a bit far, even if the situation is drastic. Can't superheroes talk things out? Slott may be trying to pit Pym against Reed to showcase that Pym is a worthy brain, but that's RULK logic; prove the Hulk can beat anyone by having him literally punch out God for flimsy reasons. Still, there is a chance that cooler heads could prevail and talk the eggheads down. And to be fair, the clock's ticking at less than 48 hours, so options may be few.

There is also a nice subtle scene with Cho getting ready for another battle using the Ant-Man helmet, and asking for permission from Stature, whose father used it. Stature is conflicted not only because she wants to return to her friends, but because her father was also a member of the Four, and she was part of the family for years. Cho seems to be flirting with her, which means he's getting over Delphyne fast. Teenagers are like that, though, or so I here. I think Stature's place on the team is to be the "normal Munster" of the team. Despite her history, she's not a former mental breakdown artist, or a former terrorist, or a robot, or a jerkwad super-soldier. Even Jarvis is one of those weird fellows who would serve tea while being eaten alive by zombies. While it can be irritating to fans, it is a common role for someone in a wonky team. Sue's made a career out of being "the more normal one" compared to Reed, Ben, or Johnny after all.

To be honest, the premise of pitting the Mighty Avengers against the Four isn't perfect, as many hero vs. hero brawls tend to be. Slott is at the verge of making Pym look worse than he intends. I do get the feeling that Slott does want to do another "overcoming personal demons" stories with Pym, and while this has been done before, the hand that Slott was dealt with Pym pointed in that direction. What else was there? Having Pym give one 2 page speech about "avenging all my fallen friends by being the hero they know I can be!" and being perfect in all things? That may be entertaining, but it's not Hank Pym nor is it very unique. It's a retrend for Pym, but that's like saying every Batman story where he fights a costumed lunatic and wonders if he is close to being said lunatic is a retrend. Many heroes go through set storylines, the difference is in the execution. We're about five issues in and I'll probably need another one or two to better gauge where this is going. I think Slott knows where he is going overall, even if some of the bumps getting there sometimes can seem a little over the top. I haven't really been disappointed in Slott since JLA CLASSIFIED (and that story was merely slightly above average), and I don't think I will be here. His Pym's a jerk, but at least he's a jerk who saves the world sometimes. He has his good qualities, too.

I'm still enjoying this series; it's not perfect but it's better than Bendis' Avengers book was. If we really do get the next issue in two weeks, that'd be grand.

Last edited:
So there's intentionally no dialouge in the Ultimate Spider-Man issue?

correct. it says on the recap page "this is a silent issue"

Part Three (Finale):

WAR OF KINGS #4: It looks like I may be proven wrong from some of my statements in regards to previous issues of this series in one regard, but I won't buy it a hundred percent until next issue when someone does the autopsy. Besides, it's not as if Moondragon didn't come back from a much more dramatic death.

Major spoilers, Lilandra was seemingly shot dead by Vulcan's newest ally, Talon of the Raptors (not the basketball team, but the order of robotic alien warriors that Darkhawk is now a apart of). The only reason I am still 20% skeptical is because of the nature of comics, and even Abnett & Lanning themselves; Quasar and Moondragon have both been killed and came back on their watches within about a year each. Lilandra has been a modest X-Men character for the longest time and I do not have a lot of faith that she will be dead forever. Who in the X-Universe does? Still, I never thought they'd attempt it, and I can't say I will miss her. She's been quite boring for quite some time. In some ways she is the perfect kind of character death; it moves the story forward, gives a lot of other characters, such as the Starjammers, Gladiator, and even a few of the X-Men at some point, something to mourn or react to, and it doesn't deprive the world of some glorious character. People were begging for Steve Rogers to come back barely two months after CA #25. Hardly anyone is going to cry their eyes out for poor Lilandra. Considering how many times Claremont has returned to the X-Books since 1991 (which is twice for stretches of some two-plus years each) and how he loves Shi'ar stories, part of me is amazed that he didn't axe her off.

(In a fit of petty egomania, an issue of X-MEN FOREVER will likely reveal her name as Lilandra "Picard".)

The issue begins with Vulcan meeting with his various generals and whatnot in the middle of another Kree planet busting mission (the world is named Kon-Shur but it doesn't matter) in which Vulcan craves combat so much that he doesn't care for little status reports about overstretching the empire. One of the Inhumans' new Sentry robots attacks the platform, and Vulcan is saved by Talon, fresh from ASCENSION. Now, while ASCENSION fills in much back story about him, as did WOK: DARKHAWK before that, Abnett & Lanning seem aware that twice as many readers read this title than that, and they summarize things well enough here so that one isn't lost either way. See? This sort of thing isn't as hard as some writers make it sound. The Fraternity of Raptors are basically "space ninja", bio-mechanical warriors who exist across time to put forth an agenda through any means possible across the universe, through alliances, kidnappings, even murders. They recently stole the Cosmic Control Rod from one of Annihilus' left-over generals and gave it to Blastaar. In this issue, Talon reveals, supposedly, that the Raptors were created by the Shi'ar over 600 years ago, perhaps akin to how the Xanadarians created the Nova Corps, but have since been forgotten. Mysteriously, "Razor" (the Raptor that was bonded to Chris Powell) isn't present, so that means something is up in ASCENSION #3 coming up. While this certainly ties things together, I am only skeptical because Talon was willing to lie to Chris to get him to fly into space for him, and the nature of the Raptors is to forge alliances by various underhanded means; Talon could merely be telling Vulcan what he wants to hear in order for the insane dictator to accept his aid. Vulcan is Caligula with energy-blasts, basically. Still, though, some people have predicted this would be revealed and it does explain why Darkhawk was pulled into the mix. It is quite a retcon, but it may leave Chris in a better place, which is what one hopes for out of retcons.

Meanwhile, Crystal and the recovering Ronan talk on a Kree beach about his recovery and the war efforts. Abnett & Lanning still manage to get decent beats out of Ronan, who sometimes can be a block of wood when not smashing something. The two of them are slowly getting closer, or at least more used to the idea of being married. Of course, Ronan was more gung ho about that than Crystal was; he was the one who suggested it after all. Not out of lust, of course, but because he saw the Kree as stagnant and the Inhumans as the best way to revive them. He congratulates Black Bolt's ability to keep the Kree in the war despite being the feisty underdogs, but is dismayed at the failure to "evolve" the Kree with Terrigenesis. Crystal wants the war to end as soon as possible, although she explains Bolt has been holding back on going too "hardcore" to give the Starjammers a chance to complete a coup of the Shi'ar more bloodlessly.

That chance, however, quickly fades. With Gladiator now firmly on Lilandra and the Starjammers' side, Lilandra appears at a councel meetings, and quickly gains the favor of many who are tiring of Vulcan's rule. After being defended by Kallark and the 'Jammers when attacked, Lilandra decides to complete some ceremonial gesture to officially claim rule back from Vulcan. When traveling by foot through the Shi'ar streets, though, Lilandra is dismayed that so many of the masses jeer her and prefer Vulcan (or at least just hate her in general; it may be akin to American politics when you have incompetent bums on either party). The situation quickly turns into a riot and yet another Claremont squad, the "Death Commandos" are unleashed. Seriously, how many different groups of troops do the Shi'ar have? They have normal armies, the Imperial Guard, the Death Commandos, and whatever the gang of freed convicts from KINGBREAKER are called. There is overlap because both the Guard and the Commandos are basically made up of beings of other species that the empire basically controls, such as "Warskrulls". Whatever. The point is that the situation quickly becomes a fight, with Marvel Girl reminded of the death of the Grey family, attacks from all angles, and depite Gladiator's best efforts (and willingness to uppercut scantly clad alien women in the jaw), Lee Harvey Oswald, I mean Talon, lands the magic shot that seemingly takes down Lilandra.

As always, Pelletier's art is as classic and iconic on this mini as it has ever been before, with solid inks by Magyar and color work by Quintana. There aren't too many artists involved in Marvel space who could make it look any better and still keep a schedule. Even Andrea DiVito seemingly needed a break after about 2-3 months on NOVA. Pelletier's really rocking it home here.

The various Guardians of the Galaxy who were with the Starjammers (Rocket, Groot, Major Victory, and Drax) have vanished as of this issue, having left by narration. I am curious if a GOTG tie in will cover that in more detail. That's where such things belong, after all.

With the death in this issue, that technically brings the number of somewhat major side characters axed off in this event to two, including Raza (and not including Smasher, the Grasshopper of the Imperial Guard) from the end of KINGBREAKER. Without Lilandra to retake the throne, there really is no other way to end the war without taking Vulcan down, once and for all. The only characters who have been capable of doing so in recent years were Havok and Gladiator himself. Part of me thinks that Abnett & Lanning are going to do a modest repeat of ANNIHILATION by having the stern warrior general, Gladiator instead of Ronan, take over his planet due to absolutely need after overthrowing the corrupt power. Unless, of course, Deathbird comes out of her coma and decides to not be as, well, BLATANTLY psychotic this time. At any rate, this will justify the series presumably getting more brutal and action-packed for the final two installments.

Despite being on a million covers, Black Bolt himself has done astonishingly little in this series besides sit in thrones and occasionally stand up and take a few steps forward. The guy's got to get himself a SPEAK N' SPELL, seriously. Crystal seems to be geared as a more empathetic "queen" figure for the Kree than Medusa has been. The solicits imply that Bolt takes down Vulcan or at least has a final battle with him. For me that final battle should be between Havok and Vulcan, but if not hopefully the ending will still suffice and Havok will still get some sort of macho man moment. Because we all know what happens to characters who go as long as Havok has without getting one. You become like poor Colossus, the least impressive 85 ton tanker ever in terms of battle accomplishments, who hasn't done anything awesome in any battle since the Carter administration (or outside of Ultimate X-Men), despite an awesome design, great powers, and modest fame. And considering that Havok pre-dates Colossus by a few years, he desperately needs such a moment in order to actually cement himself in the pantheon of cool characters. Otherwise he'll just be living the same storyline point (in this case, how he can't measure up to Cyclops, who gets **** done in battle) forever, kind of like Hank Pym. Look at what tearing Annihilus inside out has done for Nova. Black Bolt can take out the rest of the Imperial Guard, though, if he wants.

At any rate, a good chapter of WAR OF KINGS and one that keeps the drum-beat of a storyline rumbling. So far all of the tie-in's have worked marvelously with the main story, and it has been pretty damn good so far. Quite an improvement from ANNIHILATION CONQUEST, the last event that Abnett & Lanning wrote and mostly controlled. This event has tighter control and I think it is better for it, as well as a more charismatic cast. It may be the best Marvel "event" since WORLD WAR HULK, or of course, ANNIHILATION CONQUEST. Space makes everything better.

Can't wait for the next installments of Marvel space from Abnett & Lanning; ASCENSION, GOTG, and NOVA. Like it should be.

RE: Mighty Avengers

I don't know. "It's on, *****"? Really? I didn't like it.

Mighty Avengers definitely felt a little awkward. I like the basic premise--Reed being a bit wary of Hank because Hank phoned him in a clearly agitated state--but things escalate way too quickly in a fairly unbelievable manner to me. I mean, Reed refuses Hank's request (outright, which is sort of annoying since the obvious compromise would've been to just let him use the thing under Reed's supervision--but apparently two supergeniuses couldn't figure that out) and all of a sudden he and Hank are practically tearing each other's hair out like a couple of maladjusted kids in the schoolyard. Aside from that, the rest of the issue is good and, like I said, I like the general direction of the plot, setting up a heist/brawl with the Avengers and FF. The scene with Cho and Cassie was nice and I don't see anything wrong with Cho, who's notorious for trying to get laid, having a crush on Cassie. Segovia's art is definitely Yu-esque, as others have noted, and it works well enough, although a lot of panels felt really crowded to me. It's kind of irritating to see yet another art style after the book's barely started, though. Anyway, as it stands, this is the first issue of Slott's MA that I outright disliked a big chunk of. I hope the next issue is better and, for God's sake, please let them secure one or two regular artists for the series.

I picked up Batman and Robin #1 on a whim because I liked Morrison's idea of reversing the temperaments in the dynamic duo with an upbeat, cheerful Batman and a dour, obnoxious Robin, and because I loves me some Quitely art. The issue was good. It sort of felt right, like this is exactly what would and should happen if everyone thought Bruce was dead. The plot feels like a fun, classic Batman story--Batman and Robin bust some small-timers, who hint at something bigger going on in the background, and then we're introduced to some new player with a little style and a lot of crazy. I've ignored Morrison's work on Batman for the last couple years, content in the knowledge that Bruce would eventually come back and all his shake-ups would blow over, but I'm glad I picked this up. More than anything else, it's fun and it reminds me of what Gotham is supposed to feel like. If I absolutely had to nitpick at something, it'd be the new Batmobile, which I thought was 1) not a big deal and 2) ugly as sin--yet everyone in the issue seemed intent on telling me I was wrong. But that's minor. It's not like this is the first time Batman's had an ugly car. I'm looking forward to the next issue. :up:

Yeah Morrison needs to do more stuff like that and less stuff like Final Crisis.

War of Kings was good. Poor Lilandra. I guess we know why Gladiator goes back to Vulcan's side. Seriously, the man is totally unable to think for himself. :o

Captain Britain and MI-13 Annual was awesome-tastic. Both stories were great, although I enjoyed Meggan's more. Looking forward to her and Brian coming face-to-face again.

Skaar was great. Skaar himself is getting a bit too *****ey for my tastes, though. It was cool when he was conflicted, talking smack but ultimately doing the right thing, but now he's just being obnoxious to everyone. I hope his daddy puts him in his place next issue. And by "daddy" I mean the Green Scar, not dumb-Hulk that appeared at the end of this issue. Lim's art looked a lot better than Panosian's, by the way. I hope he does most of the art for the rest of Planet Skaar. Panosian's not bad, but I prefer Lim's style.

War of Kings was good. Poor Lilandra. I guess we know why Gladiator goes back to Vulcan's side. Seriously, the man is totally unable to think for himself. :o

Wait...whu?

Whoever said Gladiator is going back to Vulcan's side? I would think this will be the point he starts kicking Vulcan's booty, and taking the Shiar throne himself.

I'm assuming he goes back because he's on the cover of the next issue alongside the Imperial Guard, facing off with the Inhuman royal family. I suppose that might be the complete opposite of what happens in the issue, but it seems unlikely.

Skaar was great. Skaar himself is getting a bit too *****ey for my tastes, though. It was cool when he was conflicted, talking smack but ultimately doing the right thing, but now he's just being obnoxious to everyone. I hope his daddy puts him in his place next issue. And by "daddy" I mean the Green Scar, not dumb-Hulk that appeared at the end of this issue. Lim's art looked a lot better than Panosian's, by the way. I hope he does most of the art for the rest of Planet Skaar. Panosian's not bad, but I prefer Lim's style.

Any chance Green Scar shows up at all? What's the story with that?

Mighty Avengers #25 finally came out. Reed Richards had good points in the already heavily-discussed argument with Pym, but was the comment about knowing more about Pym Particles necessary? I think that's where "It's on, *****" came from. Other than that... U.S. Agent actually threw his shield for the first time since joining the Mighty Avengers.

There is a "Starcraft" comic now. It is probably going to be awful. I will read it anyway.

Lastly, people need to help me with something. Is "Marvel Zombies 4 #3" never coming out? I have found nothing to confirm its existence, yet I have seen a solicit for number 4. Bored is confused.

As a minor note, my local comic shop actually had more copies of WAR OF KINGS #4 on the shelf than BATMAN AND ROBIN #1. It could have been simply because the latter was flying out, but it was interesting. Sales figures for WAR OF KINGS #2 seemingly fell less than 15% from the debut (which was reprinted once), which is not a bad drop for the second issue of a mini. It would be great if WAR OF KINGS continued to sell above expectations.

Any chance Green Scar shows up at all? What's the story with that?
Not in this issue. The Hulk doesn't appear at all for more than two pages, and it's the dumb Hulk. But since the Green Scar is Skaar's true father--i.e. the version of the Hulk who married Caiera and conceived Skaar--he's gotta show up. The whole event would fall completely flat if he didn't. Then again, the last time Pak wrote a big Hulk event it was World War Hulk, so maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up too much...

I'm assuming he goes back because he's on the cover of the next issue alongside the Imperial Guard, facing off with the Inhuman royal family. I suppose that might be the complete opposite of what happens in the issue, but it seems unlikely.

Nah, after the murder of Lilandra, I don't see him running back to her murderer. I hope not. :(

Vulcan didn't murder her personally. And Glads is chronically loyal to the Shi'ar. He could justify supporting Lilandra because she could be called the "true" leader of the Shi'ar, as opposed to the usurper Vulcan. But defecting entirely to the Kree and Inhumans? Not so much.

Can't place much faith in those covers though, so far they've been pretty off

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"