Bought/Thought March 25th *SPOILERS*

JDym

Civilian
Reaction score
Battle for the Cowl: Commissioner Gordon One Shot: I kind of liked this. Interested to see where the Cowl storyline goes. 2/5

Dark Reign: Thunderbolts vs. Deadpool: Magnum Opus part 2: One panel had me rolling: a sad looking DP looking at a bomb about to explode in front of him and he simply says: "Oh."I think Deadpool makes a wink wink reference to the hooplah of this movie. After getting his hands on a teleporter, he says while looking directly at the reader: "Hah! I knew it had to be something good! A teleporter was ALWAYS a part of the CLASSIC DEADPOOL SHTICK!" When did Thunderbolts get so nutty? I think someone mixed their DP with their 'Bolts. 2/5

PS: Can anyone explain what happened to these for next week:

Deadpool #9 - April 1
Marvel Zombies 4 #1 - April 1
Deadpool: Suicide Kings #1 - April 1

They're not on Diamond List?

Last edited:
PS: Can anyone explain what happened to these for next week:

Deadpool #9 - April 1
Marvel Zombies 4 #1 - April 1
Deadpool: Suicide Kings #1 - April 1

They're not on Diamond List?

They probably just got delayed. It happens a lot

Maybe Deadpool is playing an April Fool's Joke on us all and BAM! They'll come out that day anyway : ]

Part I: The Greeks

Incredible Hercules #127

After a fairly humorous arc about the Amazons, and a one-shot about Herc’s origin story, the funny-business is over, as we head into the era of the Dark Reign and the earlier-trailed confrontation between Hera’s Olympian alliance and Athena and Hercules. Hera is the big bad of Hercules’ traditional myths, but she’s been largely absent from his modern adventures, perhaps to avoid too much trouble between her and Zeus; but Zeus is now dead, and she’s nominally in charge, which is the crux of the problem, as Athena’s convening of the Pantheon Council way back in #117 has got her all riled up. Athena, for her part, calls out Hera for being, well, Hera. However, the new God of Thunder has scored a rather unique achievement in the series so far: catching Athena off-guard by killing her champion, Aegis (given they’ll be visiting the afterlife in a few issues, one suspects he’ll be back). She’s usually set on Enigmatic, but she demonstrates a couple of different emotions here. On the Amadeus Cho front, there are a couple of important developments here: first, the revelation that the evil soap company that ran the contest in his origin is part of the Olympus Group; second, the return of Delphyne, who, as Queen of the Amazons, is one of Hera’s lieutenants now (though she’s surprised to find herself fighting him). That’s gotta hurt. There’s not a huge amount with Herc here. In the future plot developments department, it’s pretty clear Hebe is going to be persuaded into betraying Hera at some point. I was initially rather uncertain about the art for this instalment, but, one image of Herc aside, I thought it was quite good. This issue’s also ventures into one of the details of the MU that isn’t often brought up: that most people don’t believe the gods are actually gods. Norman Osborn doesn’t here, calling both Hera and Loki just crazy people (with superpowers); it makes a certain amount of sense, but, knowing what we the readers know, it seems a bit jarring.

Wonder Woman #30

Across town with the Distinguished Competition, Gail Simone’s big arc aiming to really reorient Wonder Woman’s world hits its fifth of eight parts, and I’d say it’s arguably the best issue yet (either this or the previous part; things are really ramping up, which is a nice thing to say about any arc). However, there are two strands of this story, the return of the Amazons/rise of the Olympians, and the entire aspect with Genocide and Barbara Minerva’s Secret Society of Supervillains, and so far these two plots have blissfully little to do with each other. They’re obviously going to collide at some point (perhaps Achilles will kill or be killed by Genocide), but so far they’re not really connected all that strongly. The chronology is also awkward in parts; Zeus recalled the Amazons to Themyscira like four issues ago, and has since gone on to do a bunch of other stuff, but the Amazons are only now just getting back to meet with Hippolyta. It’s a nice scene, though, bringing up the importance of Phillipus to the Queen (she’s a perennial background figure in 1987) and gingerly papering over the junk Amazons Attack did with the Bana-Mighdall (Artemis is absent; apparently she’ll be turning up first in Secret Six; it’s nice for her to get her own reintroduction story). Also, they’re all totally naked, which is nice. Elsewhere, Genocide tortures Etta for information, and Diana is goin’ berserk. Her interrogation of Cheetah is nicely-written, as is her rampage through the Secret Society’s HQ (Aaron Lopresti, whose art is sometimes a bit too cute for this sort of story, conveys her ferocity rather nicely here). Cheetah’s a villain who has been knocked around a lot in recent years (by Pfeiffer, mainly, though not in AA!, ironically), and Simone’s been doing a good job of trying to give her some of the stature she had under Perez. Genocide is still not much of a threat, but that’s far less of a problem here than it was in earlier issues, because the focus has shifted somewhat to Zeus, Cheetah, et al. I don’t know what the result of this will be, but I’m increasingly enjoying this story.

Well, New Avengers had an "Oh, ****." moment.

Late, upsetting, caused some confusion, but "Oh, ****" nevertheless.

Oh **** indeed! Bendis just got major major props from me. I'm surprised Quesada let him do that.

Wow this was the first New Avengers issue in a while that after reading I actually thought "that was good". There is a lot of talking in this issue, but not Bendis useless talking that takes up 10 pages for no reason. The whole issue mattered and didn't seem like filler. I like where it's going. This issue has stuff I was expecting there were surprises that I didn't expect, but the thing people are mainly going to talk about is something I could tell was going to happen and its not a big deal at all. It completely makes sense. and what I am going to say is not a spoiler at all Wiccan from the Young Avengers may or may not be the New Sorcerer Supreme. he's on the 3 page of the book its not a spoiler.

New Avenger 51 was IMO a great issue. and I love Chris Bachalo art work.

NA #51 was very surprising to me... but at least Bendis can get his own continuity right...

:woot: :woot: :woot:

I'm very much in for this upcoming arc of New Avengers - #51 was a pretty damn good first issue; I like the use of Dr. Strange here. And there were some gorgeous pages, especially ones with Dormammu/Hood and the cliffhanger splash.

Guardians of the Galaxy 12 - it looks like Phyla-Vell may be turning "heel" at some point. I suppose it balances the not unexpected return.

I wonder who Maelstrom speaks to at the end...

Great book as always; I actually read this before Nova...review soon.

edit: Nova was awesome.

Last edited:
Oh, COME ON!!! I specifically tuned into this thread (and the one over in the spidey forum) to hear people *****ing about NA51. What's wrong with you people. Where are the Bendis jokes? The Devil jokes? WHERE ARE THE JQ-IS EVIL JOKES?!?!?!?!?!? You people are losing your edge!

I mean, I loved it, but I thought I was a better judge of *****-material, and that should have been prime stuff.

[Danny Glover]I'm getting too old for this...[/Danny Glover]

I thought it was a great move on Bendis' part but like I said, i cannot believe Joe Q allowed Bendis to do this. I'm shocked.

Part II: Avengers

Captain America #48

Well, that was an uncommonly tidy resolution for this series. And with another great rarity: a scene in the daytime! (don't worry, only for about two pages). Brubaker's intent here was clearly to do a "normal" mission for the cast, outside the massive larger story, and it's a good success; the first part (#43-45) was less interesting than the second, in large part because Brubaker withheld some of the key stuff about the Bucky/Chin relationship (the wife) until later. The depiction of the Bucky/Natasha relationship was very effective at showing both a relationship and a partnership. And Namor's just about perfect; Brubaker should write him more often. Well, with this self-contained adventure out of the way, we look to be getting back to the larger plot (and Sharon and Sam) next issue; can't wait.

Mighty Avengers #23

In which Slott's first arc comes to a close, and my feelings are decidedly mixed. I talked about this last issue, but, really: where's the scope? This guy is the primordial God of Chaos, and he's destroying the world; and yet, it's mostly just eight or so people standing around a bleak landscape. The ending, meanwhile, owes more to Slott's comedic roots than drama; it's clever, for the most part, but not particularly visceral. Large portions of the group don't seem to do much. Elsewhere, on the character front, nobody has really gotten sufficient space in reaction to Wanda's return yet. Speaking of which, though, that's the best part of the issue; totally did not see that coming, and it sets up tons of interesting options for future stories.

Mighty Avengers was great although I also thought it was lacking in scope a bit. But that final page took a fun, if seemingly smallish, arc and catapulted it onto the lush plains of pure awesomeness (where the gazelles of badassery graze upon the shrubbery of too-sweetness). This arc pretty much oozed "classic Avengers" from its every pore, so if Slott can keep that up (and he should be able to, since we're coming off of 5 classic-Avengers-less years here) and deliver great stories and characterization with maybe some more big-name villains, this series is going to be excellent.

War of Kings: Darkhawk felt pretty incomplete. I don't know why they split this and WoK: Ascension up into two different minis, since the story literally continues in Ascension #1 right from where this issue left off. But, format aside, this was a decent story with lots of interesting implications. We get the emotional closure of finally seeing Chris' anger issues come to a head and be explained, although dealing with them will have to wait until Ascension, and we get to learn a bit about the Darkhawk 'armor.' (Chris and Talon both keep calling it armor in this issue, but Darkhawk was supposed to be a whole cybernetic alien life form that swapped places with Chris through the amulet. Still, that's a fairly minor nitpick; alien robot, alien armor, tomayto, tomahto.) I'm very interested to learn more about the Raptors and about Talon, whom we never see without his armor in this series. So, while this series was short and felt pretty incomplete, I can't say it's totally meaningless or even bad, since it deals with a lot of Chris' emotional issues and adds a few more into the mix for good measure. Good on character building, short on plot.

I read Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova sort of simultaneously. I started reading GotG, then Quasar randomly showed up, so I switched to Nova to figure out how the hell he got there, then I finished GotG off after Nova. Of the two, GotG is the more eventful but Nova was the better comic. And Nova was still plenty eventful in its own right--"revelations aplenty" doesn't seem to cover it. New Nova Prime, the Nova Corps heads to war, Quasar changes Rich's status quo, Eve Necker drops quite the employment bomb, and Robbie has to deal with the unglamorous side of as a space cop. Very full issue. Same with Guardians. I just thought Nova's story flowed better and had bigger payoffs--maybe it's personal bias, since I like Nova and Wendell more than Phyla and the others in GotG. Either way, both solid issues and, if nothing else, it was nice to see DnA basically write fans' discontentment with Phyla as Quasar right into the story; maybe this new status quo will prove more interesting than her pathetically limited manhandling of the quantum bands.

iHerc (yes, I'm totally calling it that now--thanks, Mark Paniccia!) was filled with hilarity and continuity-laden editor's notes, which I always love to see. The issue is largely setup, just like the first issue of every arc of every series ever tends to be, but at least this one had some fun banter and a couple of confrontations I've been looking forward to. The big confrontation I'm looking forward to, however, is obviously next issue: Ares vs. pretty much everybody. I wonder how that's gonna work out, given that Hera typically loves Ares to death and considers him a big one of those "noble children" she wants to see succeed after all the filthy half-breeds are dead. Should be fun to see. Oh, and Norman Osborn's staunch refusal to believe that anyone is actually a god was funny. I hope Hera smacks him around a bit next issue and makes him think twice about threatening to turn her into a "skid mark" next time. :hehe:

Secret Warriors #1 and 2: I caught up with this series yesterday, so I figured I could talk about it here. First and foremost, it's good. I enjoyed both issues and intend to continue reading. Several things about it bug me, though: 1) It's built on the most ******ed, totally unbelievable central concept ever, and that concept, incidentally, makes Nick Fury come off like an incompetent amateur, which is an unforgivable sin. 2) I don't care how many issues you miscolor to try and convince me otherwise, Marvel: Alex's hair is supposed to be brown. Also, why the f*** isn't his father objecting to his involvement with the Caterpillars? I can only assume he doesn't know, in which case, I hope he finds out soon and we get a couple awesome issues of Ares knocking the s*** out of everyone in this series. Outside of those two things, I'm enjoying it. I haven't really gotten a feel for most of the characters, since I ignored everything with them during Secret Invasion as best I could, but so far Yo-Yo and Sledge have me intrigued. Druid is a little too obviously the superhero equivalent of a rags-to-riches story (seems incompetent now but is totally gonna be the greatest hero who ever lived, ever, with a few years' experience) and JT is a cheap and decidedly brazen Gambit knock-off. All he's missing is the creole accent. Looking forward to reading more with the rest of them and, hopefully, Fury redeeming himself for the years of abject stupidity Hickman's thrust on him.

Last edited:
This is what I usually call an "end of the month wallet-buster", where practically everything I buy monthly comes out in one $35 week or so. A week where I have about eleven comics to read, and I stare at my favorite SHH forum and sometimes need to be reminded why I commit some 2-4 hours of time going about reviews. "Because you are a nerd, that is why," is usually my mental answer, and I get to work.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14518.html

The Feb. 2009 comic sales numbers were in and while sales are down 2%, it likely is worse than it looks; after all, this month had the 4th and 5th Obama ASM printings topping the chart at about 150k+ sales. The troubling thing I noticed about the sales list is that while the Top 5 sellers all sold over 90k copies, no comics that month sold between 78,000 - 89,000 copies. Usually at least 1-3 comics in the Top 10 sell within the 80k range. Instead the next highest selling book at #6 was 77k sales. The #10 seller sold under 70k copies. A book that sold 32,800 copies actually managed to sell within the Top 50, and a book that sold merely about 20,100 copies sold within the Top 100, feats that were not possible even 2-3 months ago. What I think is happening is that the current economic crisis, perhaps combined with increased prices, has forced retailers to make up the increased cost of all of those high selling $4 books like NEW AVENGERS and so on by trimming the fat on the mid-table selling titles. Thus, NOVA, which was selling steady at no less than 28,000 copies a month, suddenly is down to 25,000 the last two months. Other once "stable" comics that sold within the middle or end of the Top 100 have fallen off an extra 10% or so within a month or two as well, like INCREDIBLE HERCULES. A while back I called that the increase in price of many major franchise books by Marvel (and slowly by DC) will force retailers to balance their expenses by ordering less of smaller books. So we may see big books staying big sellers while the B and C list sellers losing readers quicker than in the last half year or so. Hmm...the big boys get bigger while the middle and lower ones get screwed...and who says the comic industry isn't like the rest of the economy? :p

I don't think trading the sales of about 10-15 smaller books to hold steady on the bigger books that sell 100k anyway is a good idea for the long term, but ask any comic book company EIC about anything long term, and they would probably give you a deer-in-the-headlights look and then mention their plans for the next, at best, half year.

As always, full spoilers ahead.

Dread's BOUGHT/THOUGHT for 3/35/09:

UMBRELLA ACADEMY: DALLAS #5:
Dark Horse's newest major franchise, which is still managing to sell within the Top 100 without being a BUFFY/ANGEL/STAR WARS/HELLBOY themed franchise work. Considering it is also a take on the superhero genre, which Marvel/DC/Image still have a stranglehold on, that is also impressive. This is the second-to-last chapter in the story of the Academy having to go on a time travel adventure with Number 5 to basically stop a past version of himself from assassinating JFK.

Thankfully, this time travel jaunt still retains the manic, quirky style of Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba, which is like VENTURE BROTHERS crossed with MONTY PYTHON. Unfortunately for Spaceboy and Seance, they traveled too far back in time and had to spent a year or two in Vietnam in the 60's waiting around to the time when they have to try to save Kennedy in Dallas. Number 5, however, still plans to kill JFK to allow the time-stream to stay as it is. Spaceboy, Seance, and Kraken, though, try to win Vietnam by resurrecting a mummy, which goes horribly wrong, before deciding to finally venture to Dallas with a transporter that Seance managed to finance by running a sleazy bar for years. As always, though, summarizing any issue of this title is fruitless. It can't capture the stylish artwork of Ba, or the fun dialogue of Way.

Overall, I am still highly entertained by this title; most of the time when I venture off to give a new title, especially a non big two title a try, I end up finding mediocre stuff like THE END LEAGUE or Wildstorm's THE INTIMATES a few years ago (a franchise so average that Jim Lee co-created it with Joe Casey and then by the end of a year didn't even bother being credited with that anymore). UMBRELLA ACADEMY was recommended to me about 2-3 issues into the last mini, and I haven't regretted it. One day I will find a good small book without needing to be recommended by other people. It always makes me feel incompetent.

There is a part of me that things this sequel is not as good as the original, but it still is very entertaining and still better than a slew of better selling Big Two superhero books. If you're not aboard for the monthly issues, this is a series worth tracking down in trade. It also is the best comic ever created/written by a rock star. It's practically worth all those tons of terrible KISS comics. If I had one quibble, it is that the cover is kind of generic this month.

AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE FEATURING REPTIL #1: This is part one of what I will call, "a tale of two annuals". In the old days, an annual was called an "annual" and was numbered every year. It was a yearly one-shot for a given franchise that usually had "filler" type stories that almost always sold less than a regular issue of the said title, regardless of price (especially since the annual was more expensive anyway). During the start of the Joe Q EIC tenure when Bill Jemas was President, he canceled annuals because he theorized, correctly, that annuals don't sell as well as regular issues, so it is more cost effective to just sell an extra issue of the ongoing title a year rather than always taking a loss on the annual. It proved to work. When Jemas left or was losing interest, Joe Q brought the annual back with Ultimate, and these sold well; granted this was during the time when Ultimate comics still were Top 10 sellers, and they were written by Millar or Bendis and were hyped up the wazoo. The stories were also relevant to the main title, but some annuals actually were; that rarely effected sales.

In time, though, as annuals became less rare, the old Bill Jemas logic prevailed; they usually sell 10-50% less than an regular issue of the main title. Marvel has tried to circumvent this by calling some of them "specials" instead of "annuals" or giving them other titles, likely a ploy to fool retailers. These ploys almost never work. They certainly haven't worked for AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE. Both their last "annual" and "special" sold fewer copies than a typical issue, even without a crossover tie-in, even though the stories in the annual were usually quite important, such as giving origins or new developments for some of the major characters in A:TI. Now A:TI is trying a third annual with yet a third title to try to fool retailers into thinking it isn't an annual and to order more copies, or at least the same as an ongoing issue (especially as A:TI has slipped from holding steady around 50k without a crossover to about 46k). It will likely fail. The last "special" sold barely 25k copies (the special where Hardball turned heel). I call this "a tale of two annuals" because IMMORTAL IRON FIST basically also is shipping an annual this week, only have actually kept Jemas' logic and are selling it as an extra regular issue rather than an overpriced annual. Granted, that may be because IIM is selling half what A:TI usually is and they can't afford the loss.

As for the story itself, it is similar to Gage's first solo-written issue of the series that introduced "Butterball" for an issue. The gist of the story was a brand new novice hero coming into the Initiative with an idealized POV that of course clashes with the reality of the camp and the recruits, and the nature of being a hero. It does end with the rookie redeeming himself in some way. This newest creation, Reptil, basically has a similar story as Butterball, only he is a more competent hero and has a more straightforward adventure. While Taskmaster was the "veteran" that Butterball was involved with, Tigra is the "veteran" hero that Reptil attaches to, and it works better because Tigra is more of a straight-forward hero(ine) than Taskmaster is and she naturally tries to relate to the newbie. While Butterball's story was more about him trying and failing to fit in with the other heroes, Reptil has more of a basic adventure, being tapped to stop the threat of Stegron the Dinosaur Man.

Yes, that D-List Spider-Man enemy who is basically an evil stegosaurus. Only the Iguana ranks lower as a reptile themed Spidey villain who isn't the Lizard. He's revived another army of dinosaurs from stolen bones and is rampaging about the country raiding SHIELD bases looking for something. The issue makes sure to have a footnote telling us this takes place between A:TI #19 and #20. Basically, JUST after the Skrull war but about five minutes before Osborn took over and remade it into HAMMER. Semi-frequent fill in artist for the series Steve Uy does the art, and his art is always iffy. Humberto Ramos, who draws the interiors of the regular issues, does the cover and while Ramos' anatomy always is loose, his work is usually more kinetic and dynamic. Uy's art always seems kind of lifeless, even when he does explosions or giant dinosaurs. I must say Reptil himself looks better on the cover and more boring looking inside; Uy's Tigra also always looks a bit bland. On the other hand, Uy does draw some characters well, like Stegron, Prodigy, and to some degree Batwing. I think a lot of it is the colors; they always look a bit less vibrant when Uy does his thing. It is odd that Reptil's bold title logo has tiger-themed colors and stripes. I'm not sure if it's grrrrr-eat.

The plot of the issue is Stegron the Dinosaur Man trashing a SHIELD base in Texas. Tigra is the leader of the Rangers apparently, which is the Texan superhero team. Her squad is a bit short-handed recovering from the Skrull War, and Val Cooper (the perennial CSA agent) tasks Tigra to lead a hand-picked group of recruits and graduates to take on Stegron, especially an untapped superhuman named "Reptil" (because Reptile is too generic, so the E is silent). Humberto Lopez is your typical kid in Nevada, living with his X-BOX obsessed grandfather because his parents went missing exploring fossils in the jungle. Empowered by a mystical dinosaur artifact, Lopez can apparently gain any ability that a dinosaur had, as well as taking on part of their forms; basically like DC's Vixen or former Avenger Silverclaw, only with extinct reptiles rather than living jungle critters. It is his supposed mental rapport with dinosaurs that sparks Cooper's interest for the mission; Tigra is hesitant to involve so inexperienced a kid, but agrees along with her squad of Cloud 9, Sunstreak, Batwing, Prodigy, and Komodo. Considering that Komodo is another reptile themed hero who just lost a boyfriend, I was seriously wondering and even expecting the two to interact a lot more than they actually do. It is a minor disappointment that all Komodo basically does is teach Reptil how to fight with a tail (or, as Bendis' Spider-Man would say, "throw your butt at you"; thanks, Bendy, for ruining that sort of thing forever). At first aggressive with the oncoming heroes, Lopez finds himself eager to join the Avengers and takes to days of training vigorously.

Of course, everyone has their own perspective about the Initiative and being a post-CIVIL WAR hero in general. Prodigy is cynical and bitter, seeing the Initiative as a draft and suggesting Reptil flunk on purpose if he wants to leave early. Batwing is almost overly optimistic, seeing it all as a way to help people for the greater good and either being ignorant or ignoring the downsides. Sunstreak sees the gig as a way to legally thrash people and avoid prison; Komodo is still burned by losing Hardball and encourages not trusting anyone. Cloud 9, who has undergone perhaps the most dramatic change, acknowledges that she has learned how to kill, but doesn't see it as being bloodthirsty, just efficient. While Reptil wants to be a hero on the outside, his main motivation is getting access to enough equipment to conduct a proper search for his parents, who he is convinced are still alive. Using specimens from the Savage Land, Lopez hones his "dino-sense" and uses that to track Stegron as well as effect his pull over reanimated dinosaurs. His first battle against the D-Lister goes poorly, especially when Stegron proves able to posess Komodo, which frankly should have been rather obvious from a strategic viewpoint that a guy who controls giant lizards could also control humanoid ones. Reptil, however, is immune to that control, but is too impulsive and is TKO'd.

If this story does anything, it is that Gage sells Tigra as an experienced heroine who has had her rough past (she mentions being a rookie and practically begging the Molecule Man for mercy with the Avengers) and is aware of the pain of losing a parent. She relates to Reptil and offers more balanced and realistic insight about the profession and about her other recruits, nailing all of them to a T (that Cloud 9 is in denial about those she kills, that Prodigy is a rebel without a cause, and Batwing is making up for having an unsupportive father by being too compromising). This certainly is the first story in a while where Tigra hasn't been written as some sort of victim, perhaps years. She offers him a deal, although it means changing his perceptions about things.

The third act reveals Stegron's motivations, and to be frank I found it kind of stupid. SHIELD basically kidnapped Moon-Boy, the caveman partner of Devil Dinosaur, a unique critter that now is starving itself to death in the Savage Land in grief. While Stegron was never a high rate villain, having him search for Moon Boy to mend a dinosaur's broken heart of all things seemed a bit wacky, this close to continuity porn (or an issue of a MARVEL ADVENTURES comic). Disapproving of SHIELD keeping the Boy contained, Stegron is captured but Reptil is allowed to go AWOL with Moon Boy (Tigra dismissing him officially as a wash-out) and soon travels to the Savage Land to meet real dinosaurs and gain Ka-Zar's aid in finding his parents. Much as with Butterball, there is a part of me that wonders why Gage goes through such trouble to create a new character and give them a decent if not good introduction, then dismiss them from the regular team within that same issue. Are all of Dan Slott's creations "grandfathered" into the book, but Gage can't add any himself? I thought the Initiative had room for Reptil; he could play off of Komodo, after all. Humbert Ramos likely could handle the design well. Still, I guess being able to create a decent original character for an "annual", considering that in the past such creations were creative horrors like Bantam (the boxing vigilante chicken man, thankfully sacrificed to CW: FRONTLINE), is a feat unto itself. Lopez's costume is like a green and black variant of something Wolverine might have worn as a boy, even if his powers tend to manifest as an orange color. If Gage doesn't get a chance to insert Reptil, maybe he will pad out some future team someday.

Unlike Hardball, Reptil didn't seem to make the wrong decision at every turn, and thus this is a better "special" or "annual" or whatever you want to call it. Even if it likely won't sell as well as a regular issue would have.

Also Bought: CAPTAIN AMERICA #48, FANTASTIC FOUR #565, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #12, IMMORTAL IRON FIST #24, INCREDIBLE HERCULES #127, MIGHTY AVENGERS #23, NOVA #23, WAR OF KINGS: DARKHAWK #2 & X-MEN KINGBREAKER #4 (whew!)

Last edited:
After reading Mighty Avengers, I am done with this book. There was one reason I was going to read it and the ending ****ed it up for me. I'd rather read a Bendis book. Good day, Slott.

Part III: Daredevil & Friends

Daredevil #117

"The Return of the King" begins with, well, Wilson Fisk back in the old neighbourhood; he slips pretty effortlessly back into control of the goons on Josey's now-underground bar, and tells everybody to get ready for a street war. The Hood's now the nominal boss of supercrime, though Kingpin's not employing those types of operatives at the moment, so I'm guessing they'll ignore that for now (it's not like Kingpin can oust him right now with DR underway). The whole issue of Matt's personal life continues, though I think the subplot with Milla's parents is kind of stuck in neutral; more interesting is Dakota, who I very much doubt we've seen the last of. Matt seems to be sinking into one of those increasingly violent moods, not unreasonable, given how much his life sucks despite being really noble and all. The ending suffers a bit since we already know that Kingpin's not here to fight Matt, but to team up against the Hand. Only three issues to go in Brubaker's run; shaping up to be a barnburner. On art, Lark's rendition of the Kingpin is interesting; cartoony artists tend to go hogwild in depicting his mass, while the realists (like Lark) have to figure out how to depict him as a towering presence within bounds. Lark's good (and he's got a stylish leather jacket).

Dark Reign: Elektra #1

Elsewhere, Matt's most famous girlfriend gets her own miniseries as compensation for a rather bad year or more where she was revealed to have been a Skrull for an indeterminate period; I was half-expecting that Marvel was planning to keep her dead to try and bury the hatchet with Frank Miller, but apparently not (probably a good thing too, given Miller's track record these days). I wasn't sure whether I was interested in getting this (particularly at the price), but I like the art, and I've recently been going through the whole Miller Daredevil run, so here we are. After being taken into custody by Iron Man, who orders SHIELD to take care of her, custody of her little ass passes to Norman, who's obviously much less sympathetic. Apparently she, unlike the other captives, was experimented on for some reason, and Norman wants her to tell him why; Elektra's not talking. Literally; she's got two words of dialogue in the whole issue, and those are in micro-font barely legible. Wells does a good job depicting her as silent and relentless as she works her way out of HAMMER's control. Clay Mann I know from his one-issue fill-in on Daredevil; his style's a bit less babe-alicious than it was there, and he's great at conveying Elektra's silent actions.

I was sooo not paying 3.99 for that Elektra mini-series, shame I really wanted too, but it was just wayyyy too thin and lacking on content to be 4 dollars, hell, even 2.99 would be too much.

Shame, cause Dark Reign could have been a great time for Elektra to come back into the spotlight.

New Avengers was pretty freakin' cool. It could have used some more ass kicking but it was still pretty solid.

I think Strange should keep being the Sorcerer Supreme though.

New Avengers was pretty freakin' cool. It could have used some more ass kicking but it was still pretty solid.

I think Strange should keep being the Sorcerer Supreme though.

What exactly happened?

What exactly happened?
Alright, here ya go... But if you're planning on reading eventually anyway, you should just wait.
Well, it starts out with the Hood talking to Dormammu about how the Hood is losing control over his power and Dormammu says that he'll gain complete control over the power only after he kills Dr. Strange -- then the Hood will become the new sorcerer supreme.

Then it jumps to that Wiccan kid from Young Avengers and he's stopping some bad guys and he walks away like, "Yeah, I just stopped those bad guys discretely, sweet." And he bumps into Dr. Strange.

They talk for a while about how Dr. Strange is looking for the new SS and how he needs to pass some things on to them like the Eye of Agommoto and the Wand of Wotomb, etc. He also said that Wiccain might be the SS but he doesn't know.

The the Hood shows up and he's all mutated and monstered out.

Meanwhile, the New Avengers are chillin' at Cap's place, they're talking about what Clint did last issue, calling out Osborn on the news, and they also show that Wonder Man went on Leno and said that some stuff about how he didn't like it either and that he's out of the superhero game because it all sucks right now.

Then they decide that Clint should be team leader and that Ms. Marvel should be second in command.

And they tell Spidey that he has to show them his secret identity or they can't trust him to be on the team, so he's like, "**** it." and takes off his mask.

Then, out of the blue, Dr. Strange bursts through the door and stabs Clint in the chest with this magic dagger thing and pimp smacks Ms. Marvel.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Actually he does burst through the door but he's hurt and he's like, "Help me!"

It was cool that Tan did the pencils for the New Avengers scenes and Bachalo did the art for the Dr. Strange scenes.

After reading Mighty Avengers, I am done with this book. There was one reason I was going to read it and the ending ****ed it up for me. I'd rather read a Bendis book. Good day, Slott.

The ending was downright freaking awesome!

It was a twist is as much as I can say.

Two down, nine to go. I am bemused by a few posters going, "I can't believe Marvel LET Bendis do _____ in NA #51". Dudes, are you SERIOUS? Marvel has let Bendis do anything he wanted since about 2005. Good or bad. The only time an editor has told him "no", it was likely if asked if they ever had to tell him "No" since '06. I imagine the people in the office call Joe Quesada "Joe" and Bendis "sir". The only reason Bendis isn't an editor himself is because he doesn't seek the position. There isn't much that Marvel wouldn't let Bendis do, for good or ill.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #48: A rarity for this terrific title; a 3-6 part arc that is mostly self contained and resolved at the end of the final issue. After over three years of a long term Red Skull plot, it was good to see Brubaker wrap up a New Cap adventure smoothly. That isn't to say his book suffers from decompression; issues of CAPTAIN AMERICA usually always have enough story for your $3, even when a plot is on a slow build. Still, it is nice to have a threat show up, and be taken down in a half year every now and then.

In this story, the past of James B. Barnes, the former "Winter Soldier" came back to haunt him when the body of dead andriod WWII hero Jim "Human Torch" Hammond is stolen from the U.N. by Batroc the Leaper and a superhuman Communist living weapon dubbed The Man Without A Face. He works for a Dr. Chin, also known as "Professor Pandemic", an Chinese uber genius that Bucky and the Invaders saved in the 40's, but whom the Soviets marked for death in the Cold War circa 1968, and while "Winter Soldier" failed to kill Chin, he did ice his wife in his escape, earning the scorn of the mad scientist. Responsible for the infamous "bird flu" and other viral weapons, Prof. Chin seeks to turn the Human Torch into a virus that basically causes targets to combust. Brubaker may or may not be aware that a similar thing was tried in the little known mini series LIVEWIRES from the aborted "MARVEL NEXT" line several years ago, although that was a computer virus, not a biological one. Bucky teamed up with Namor and dusted off his old Winter Soldier garb to put the matter to rest once and for all. His girlfriend and ally, Black Widow, eventually discovers James' secrets, and mounts a one woman rescue, just in the nick of time.

Bucky and Namor had been captured, with Namor used as a test subject for the virus, while a chained Bucky was tortured. Natasha fears that guilt over his past is making James sloppy, and perhaps even a little masochistic. Buck, perhaps rightly, sees the matter as a skeleton in the past of the Winter Soldier, not worth the mask of Captain America. In the end, Bucky only survives due to his friends, and of course Chin having inherited the classic super-villain tactic of rambling on and on about his master plans rather than just killing the hero. Ah, Golden Age types, they never learn. Natasha lends an assist with Buck's shield (which he anticipated, her finding out about his secrets as a Plan B), and turns out Namor is heartier than Chin counted on. Brubaker, as usual, while he writes the lead character well, also manages to do well with the side characters he often uses, whether they be Iron Man or Falcon, or in this case Black Widow and Namor. His Namor has the right blend of battle fury and arrogance without seeming like a parody of himself as he sometimes appears. Bucky saves the world from Chin's viral bomb, Chin appears to die from the battle, and Namor finishes off the Man Without A Face. Jim Hammond is brought back and is finally given a hero's burial despite being an andriod. It is odd that Camp Hammond in Conneticut that the Initiative trains at is also named after Jim Hammond even if he was never officially buried, but a minor quibble, as the only reason the Camp is named after him is perhaps for the omnious slogan, "heroes can be built".

Guice & Ross are credited on the cover with art, although Steve Epting is also partly credited in the interior credits. As usual, the art is up to the standards of the series, with most of Brubaker's artists maintaining a "feel" for the book even if all have their own styles and some are better than others. To me that helps keep a title consistent and it is something a lot of titles don't have, as one artist is sometimes a complete 180 degree shift from another. D'Armata's colors rock as usual. There is some fine action pacing, although I've seen better from Brubaker. Still, an impressive finale by any means. Compact and taut.

The story ends with Bucky managing to settle something with his past and avenge an old war buddy, and it really hit me how brilliant this new legacy is. When Stan Lee did his retcon in the 60's to get Steve Rogers back into circulation, he had quite a few stories in which Steve was facing some old menace from his past, some old war ghost, whether it be Baron Zemo or guilt over losing Bucky effecting his friendship with Rick Jones, or whatever. Over time so many of those stories were done they were on the verge of becoming cliche, like Wolverine stories where he encounters someone from HIS past. Bucky, though, allows Brubaker and other writers to do similar stories, only with modern storytelling techniques and research, and from a different point of view. The "Winter Soldier" makes Buck less "squeaky clean" as Steve and perhaps more relatable, as everyone has at least one skeleton in the closet worth hiding, especially in a professional career. This comic is still selling at nearly double the rate some of Steve's stories were under Brubaker before CIVIL WAR started, over 62k a month (which is down slightly). Of course this entire run has been Brubaker's initiative and if he truly wanted to resurrect Rogers at some point, I doubt it would be refused, but I think at this stage in the game I would say it is well worth considering the original "retired" and Bucky to be fertile new ground, yet new ground that isn't so dramatically different from the original that it seems off. I mean he still has the WW2 past, the same Invaders allies, even the same enemies, as Steve. Marvel is never going to get a better legacy hero, frankly, nor a better transition. Even Bendis, the Shadow EIC, approves.

Next issue looks to get back onto more long term stuff with Sharon and Falcon, which is fine, now that we had a good personal little adventure to occupy the titular hero. The march to issue #50 continues with Brubaker seeming to show no sign of slowing down or slipping up. Soon to be entering his 5th year on the title, that is quite something to behold.

FANTASTIC FOUR #565: After a high selling debut issue or two, the Millar/Hitch run on FF is now selling about 49k, which is staunchly in McDuffie territory. It will be curious how DARK REIGN: FANTASTIC FOUR #1 written by the next ongoing writer Hickman sells in comparison. The irony is that Millar & Hitch have crafted a run on the book that is not so unlike the McDuffie one, just is usually hyped more. McDuffie used the stunt of shifting the roster to boost sales briefly, and this team, uh, added zippers to the uniforms.

In theory this is another installment in the Doom arc, but in reality it is the second part of an adventure of the Fantastic Four trying to have a quiet Christmas with Reed's distant relatives who happen to live in Scotland (Millar's motherland) and things seem normal, until Val goes missing in the woods. Millar has chosen to write Val as a young supergenius and Franklin as the "average" boy, sort of forgetting a lot of Frankie's past power moments or spurts of intelligence, but no matter. This leads the Four and the rest of the town into a search party. While Reed & Sue are sadly used to the idea of one of their kids being missing, even the ADHD addled Johnny is genuinely worried, and manages to find Val in an underwater cave. It turns out she has been taken by a strange mystical monster. The Four manage to beat the monster after a pitched struggle and learn the entire thing was a set up by Reed's brother Hamish. The town was under the protection of the creature, where no one would be poor, sick, or would even die so long as a child of the monster's choosing was sacrificed every 100 years (which the townsfolk saw as a fair trade). When the monster chose Hamish's son Angus, he tried to offer a tastier target in Reed's "super-children". Dismayed that no one in their family is spared some sort of dark plot, Reed punches out his brother and they head home.

I did like Johnny being written seriously for once, as Millar is one of many writers who confuses "immaturity" with "idiocy/ADHD". I also think that all the stories of Franklin as the world's oldest pre-teen have been exhausted and it is about time the damn kid was allowed to hit puberty for chrissakes, but that is a larger issue. There is a part of me that thinks the only reason Frankie is alive at all is because Lee & Kirby put him in, so it is "grandfathered". Normally Marvel is anti-family for superheroes.

The art is about what you would expect, with Hitch managing to make a fairly generic plot seem over the top and more epic than it should be with some decent pacing and a lot of splash panels. This does make the issue a quick read, though. Hitch of course draws the creature as a massive LOVECRAFT-esque thing with a lot of tentacles, much like one of his giant Ultimate Skrulls. Not to say that Hitch repeats designs. Oh, no. Debbie looks nothing like Ultimate Betty.

The epilogue is set "months" in the future with one of the residents of the Scottish town who was one of the unlucky few to lose a child thanking the Four for stopping the creature, and dropping hints as to the dark times to come. And by hints I mean "revealing the painfully obvious". That is, that "something" happens to Debbie, Thing's new random fiance. To which I say, "no s***, Sherlock". I mean she had Red Shirt written all over her; Hickman was totally ignoring her for his DR: FF mini, which is probably set after the Millar/Hitch FF run, reinstalling Alicia Masters belatedly. Debbie was inserted as the love of Ben's life in about 20 pages total in such "thrust down throat" manner that it was only a matter of time before Debbie turned evil, died, or otherwise left. I never bought Debbie as a character, nor Thing's romance to her, so if Dr. Doom or one of his Demonic Algebra Teachers manages to ice her, all I can say is good riddance. I am not normally a fan of "Women in Refrigerators", and if there is a way for Debbie to survive in a decent story, I am fine with that, too. But Debbie/Thing was't working because Millar told, rather than showed, them as a couple, which is a no-no. It was impossible to buy Ben who could rarely commit to Alicia after about 45 years of courtship, engagements and break-up's and rekindling's to suddenly propose to Debbie after a year, real time. Pullleeezzeee.

Not a bad issue, but I suppose most of the Millar/Hitch run could be categorized as "not bad". Which, considering the supposed A-List talent, is a little underwhelming. I get that Millar enjoys the Four, but it seems they are too tried and true a franchise to really jazz up much for him, for good or ill. I am glad at least the work isn't as bleak as his usual works, and only managed to work in only one element of having his heroes fight a jingoist American symbol, and that was only at the wee start. Still, I am probably looking forward to Hickman's take on the team more at this point, and just waiting for this run to finish off.

Still to come:GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #12, IMMORTAL IRON FIST #24, INCREDIBLE HERCULES #127, MIGHTY AVENGERS #23, NOVA #23, WAR OF KINGS: DARKHAWK #2 & X-MEN KINGBREAKER #4.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"