Bourne 6

Skeptical this will happen but would watch another one if it did.

I feel like, as someone who owns physical copies of 17 MCU movies alone, I probably don’t have much room to talk, but...

Really? More?

I mean, by the rules of action franchises, he still has to meet his kid, so...

I mean, by the rules of action franchises, he still has to meet his kid, so...
More specifically the kid goes into the spy business and his dad needs to come out of retirement to save him.

I'm indifferent. I don't think Jason Bourne left on a good enough note, but 4, yes, 4 Bourne films are enough.

Eh, no thanks. I adore the original trilogy but the last two films have felt superfluous.

Legacy was terrible and JB was a letdown (though Damon was badass in it). I like the character but I feel like the last movie proved that the series had nowhere else to go. It felt like they were just checking off boxes for your typical action movie:
  1. Family member killed, which is why the hero volunteers
  2. Previous love interest killed to clear the way for new female lead
  3. Hero gets lured back by old agency, only to find out they killed his dad in the first place
  4. Insane car chase
  5. Hero gets revenge.

Legacy was terrible and JB was a letdown (though Damon was badass in it). I like the character but I feel like the last movie proved that the series had nowhere else to go. It felt like they were just checking off boxes for your typical action movie:
  3. Hero gets lured back by old agency, only to find out they killed his dad in the first place
  4. Insane car chase
  5. Hero gets revenge.

Jason Bourne was nothing more than a rehash. There was no new ground left to cover. The ending was not satisfying. It was a clunky mess.

Not to mention, Legacy ruined the ending of Bourne Ultimatum. And then Jason Bourne pretty much ignored everything that happened in Legacy. So they didn't even attempt to fix the problems caused by Legacy. They just completely outright ignored them. It was embarrassing.

So if you do a sixth movie, what are you trying to accomplish this time? Is there another dude responsible for the misery in Bourne's life he has to track down and eliminate? What does Jason want and what is he looking for? Is he going to be a government watchdog who whistle blows on their illicit activities and allies himself with the "good" federal agents? Are we going to get more parables on government spying on Americans, something Americans pretty much don't even really care about at the end of the day. Just saying, Jason Bourne stuck in all that sanctimonious gobbledygook about privacy and Tommy Lee Jones willing to kill people because tech mogul isn't willing to give government a backdoor into getting all our private information.

I mean the stuff that's done is out there and documented, and Americans don't really care. Snowden's whistle blowing activities didn't really do anything. The outrage was mild at best. And the CIA conspiring to kill a dude over anti-privacy software is stupid and murky. Sure, kill some overseas despots and try to cover up your involvement with illicit wetwork activity. That makes sense. Jason Bourne was just a really murky, bad movie.

4. Insane car chase
  5. Hero gets revenge.
It's a gritty voyeuristic spy thriller franchise. Theres plenty of places to go with it. They just havent bothered to try.

The last one left me thinking they should finally bring Jason in from the cold. I thought they were setting Vikander up to be a genuine ally in the CIA and in the next film they could have him for once work with the CIA under a new administration. Make the big bad a foreign organization or paramilitary organization.

It's a gritty voyeuristic spy thriller franchise. Theres plenty of places to go with it. They just havent bothered to try.

The last one left me thinking they should finally bring Jason in from the cold. I thought they were setting Vikander up to be a genuine ally in the CIA and in the next film they could have him for once work with the CIA under a new administration. Make the big bad a foreign organization or paramilitary organization.

That would be a direct contradiction to the ending of Jason Bourne. It would basically make him into Jack Bauer.

The ending of the last movie showed he didn't trust Vikander's character and he isn't going to allow her to manipulate him as she attempted to do and he's not going to go in to work for her and be her asset.

Last edited:
One thing that really bothered me personally, was the lack of mentioning of Landy. After the way it ended for her at the end of Legacy, her fate was sort of left up in the air. I would've liked some sort of addressing to her, as she played such a big part in the series. Even if it was just a passing comment.

One thing that really bothered me personally, was the lack of mentioning of Landy. After the way it ended for her at the end of Legacy, her fate was sort of left up in the air. I would've liked some sort of addressing to her, as she played such a big part in the series. Even if it was just a passing comment.

that also bothered me. I took it as Greengrass completely ignoring that film and not even acknowledging that happened in it. If that's not the case, to completely ignore Landy is downright criminal.

Damn Legacy really ruined Ultimatum for me. Basically, Landy was thrown to the wolves, and the bad guys pretty much get off scot-free. Considering that Landy did ultimately side with Bourne, for him not to come to her assistance at all is a total letdown.

Legacy never should've been allowed to happen. Especially without the main players.

Yeah that was particularly glaring, but it was pretty obvious the writers for JB weren’t interested in female characters. Even Vikander’s character was kinda meh.

Yeah that was particularly glaring, but it was pretty obvious the writers for JB weren’t interested in female characters. Even Vikander’s character was kinda meh.

Landy was one of the best additions to the franchise, especially considering they wrote out Franka Potente/Marie Kreutz, which always irked me. They basically fridged her. Damon and Potente had such great chemistry in the original film. I was really drawn to that relationship.

No disrespect to Julia Stiles, I never liked that they replaced Marie with her character. They constantly danced around Nikki/Bourne likely being an item of some sort while he was an assassin. But they never got together in the films. I think mainly because Bourne/Nikki doesn't work and there's no romantic chemistry there at all.

Like Landy became a genuine ally for Bourne, shared the same goals, and wanted to expose the illicit activities of her own government. And then Legacy turns around and basically reverses Ultimatum and now she's on the hook for leaking the Treadstone/Blackbriar docs. Not to mention Joan Allen is a tremendous actress and has great commanding screen presence. She starts off as the Bourne Supremacy version of Conklin but unlike Conklin, she actually has a moral compass and a conscious.

I have such a weird relationship with this franchise. I love Matt Damon, but I could never really get into these movies. I think the only one I have seen in its entirety is Ultimatum, but I can't remember a single thing about it other than the cool bits like the car chase or the fight with Desh. I've only seen bits and pieces of the other movies, but one day I really try to sit my ass down and watch all of them even the less than popular ones like Legacy and Jason Bourne.

Landy was one of the best additions to the franchise, especially considering they wrote out Franka Potente/Marie Kreutz, which always irked me. They basically fridged her. Damon and Potente had such great chemistry in the original film. I was really drawn to that relationship.

No disrespect to Julia Stiles, I never liked that they replaced Marie with her character. They constantly danced around Nikki/Bourne likely being an item of some sort while he was an assassin. But they never got together in the films. I think mainly because Bourne/Nikki doesn't work and there's no romantic chemistry there at all.

Like Landy became a genuine ally for Bourne, shared the same goals, and wanted to expose the illicit activities of her own government. And then Legacy turns around and basically reverses Ultimatum and now she's on the hook for leaking the Treadstone/Blackbriar docs. Not to mention Joan Allen is a tremendous actress and has great commanding screen presence. She starts off as the Bourne Supremacy version of Conklin but unlike Conklin, she actually has a moral compass and a conscious.

Yeah, the way they fridged Franka was really s****y; Supremacy is great otherwise but I hated what they did with her because, like you said, she had great chemistry with Damon and was a really good female lead.

I always hoped Franka would catch on more with U.S. audiences. Run Lola Run is still one of my favorite movies and she’s been awesome in other stuff like The Bridge, Taboo and Claws (even if those shows were all kind of a mixed bag).

Yeah, the way they fridged Franka was really s****y; Supremacy is great otherwise but I hated what they did with her because, like you said, she had great chemistry with Damon and was a really good female lead.

I always hoped Franka would catch on more with U.S. audiences. Run Lola Run is still one of my favorite movies and she’s been awesome in other stuff like The Bridge, Taboo and Claws (even if those shows were all kind of a mixed bag).

I recall Franka Potente was on Coppers as well, but that one lasted about two seasons as I recall.

That would be a direct contradiction to the ending of Jason Bourne. It would basically make him into Jack Bauer.

The ending of the last movie showed he didn't trust Vikander's character and he isn't going to allow her to manipulate him as she attempted to do and he's not going to go in to work for her and be her asset.
That's my point. They had the perfect set up to do something different and I thought they were going to do it and then in the last 5 minutes did a 180 and turned Vikander into just another opportunistic stupid CIA *****e.

But I think they can salvage it. Itd be easy to reveal that Vikander's character was just saying that stuff because it's what her superiors expected and wanted to hear from her. That her real aim is to move up in the CIA and help Bourne come in from the cold.

Jason can be a part of the CIA or an ally to it while still being in conflict with elements of it. Itd make for a more nuanced and sensible series.

If they make another movie, we'll see, but I think that thread is closed. The only way I can see him approaching her character is if she has information or access he wants or needs, and they exchange favors and become grudging allies.

I don't see why Vikander wouldn't. They set her up for a bigger role and she isn't opposed to doing blockbusters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"