Box Office Thread

I don't think boXoffice matters that much for Aquaman 2 anyway, aside from Wb getting their money back. The Dceu is ending anyway and Dceu already hit rock bottom at the boX office several times. Aquaman 2 won't have the title for being the lowest grossing DCEU film as well. Compare that to The Marvels which broke several records in a negative way.

A Captain Marvel 3 that is a big improvement from The Marvels seems impossible now.

I think with a Mcu film just grossing over $80 million in North America, it could easily happen again for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time, especially if Disney doesn't play their cards well.

For once the estimates actually went up slightly to $6.4m for the 3 day and $9.2 for the 5 day.
$100m domestic is long gone, but I don't see a path to $90m, even $85m might be stretching it.

I don't think boXoffice matters that much for Aquaman 2 anyway, aside from Wb getting their money back. The Dceu is ending anyway and Dceu already hit rock bottom at the boX office several times. Aquaman 2 won't have the title for being the lowest grossing DCEU film as well. Compare that to The Marvels which broke several records in a negative way.

A Captain Marvel 3 that is a big improvement from The Marvels seems impossible now.

I think with a Mcu film just grossing over $80 million in North America, it could easily happen again for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time, especially if Disney doesn't play their cards well.

would another Captain Marvel (solo sequel) technically be "Captain Marvel 3"? or would it be "Captain Marvel 2"? was, The Marvelϟ, technically consided a direct Captain Marvel sequel?

I saw it as more of a crossover event movie

Yes, let's raise a glass to The Marvels finally out-grossing box office comic book films that it's in conversation with like...Morbius, Constantine, V for Vendetta, and Blue Beetle, which is sadder than it is humorous at this point.

But number six for this weekend? Yeah, the audience has soundly rejected this movie.

The fact that all of those movies are budgeted at 50-100 million against the +200 million budget of The Marvels too. Rough times indeed.

Me and my gf went to see the movie again this weekend. We both found it very fun even the second time around.

would another Captain Marvel (solo sequel) technically be "Captain Marvel 3"? or would it be "Captain Marvel 2"? was, The Marvelϟ, technically consided a direct Captain Marvel sequel?

It’s considered Captain Marvel 2.

If we go down that train of “crossover event” not being a true sequel then there’s no Captain America 3, Thor 3, Spider-Man 3 etc…

At this point though, I think it’s safe to say there won’t be a Captain Marvel 3.

I don't consider those direct sequels, either

but think of, Ironman, Ironman 2, Avengers, Ironman 3
or GOTG, GOTG Vol.2, Infinity War, Endgame, Love and Thunder, GOTG Vol. 3

Regardless of whether or not they considered it to be Captain Marvel 2 before, it definitely wouldn't be wise for them to treat it as Captain Marvel 2 now.

If they ever want to make another Captain Marvel movie, they should call it Captain Marvel 2 and market it as much as possible as a direct sequel to Captain Marvel 1, with a self contained story that doesn't require people to have watched The Marvels (or any Disney+ tie-ins, for that matter), and with as much of a serious dramatic tone as the first Captain Marvel was marketed with. None of the lighthearted goofy silliness we got with The Marvels (like seriously, just watch the initial trailers of Captain Marvel and The Marvels back to back).

But isn't this film called Captain Marvel 2 in some territories?

captainmarvel2.jpg

captainmarvel2.jpg

In those territories they can just call it something else again.

Or just use the name "Captain Marvel: (Subtitle)" in all territories.

Just whatever you do don't ever call it Captain Marvel 3 or market it as Captain Marvel 3.

Its technically Captain Marvel 2. The movie was first announced as Captain Marvel 2 and they even released a logo for it, along with other mcu movies.

Also in China and other countries, its called as Captain Marvel 2.

In those territories they can just call it something else again.

Or just use the name "Captain Marvel: (Subtitle)" in all territories.

Just whatever you do don't ever call it Captain Marvel 3 or market it as Captain Marvel 3.
Since the Marvels eXist, they won't call any future Carol movie as Captain Marvel 3. Probably just Captain Marvel ***insert additional title***.

I still want to see a Captain Marvel 3. If Amazon and NetfliX are releasing high budgeted films for their streaming site, then maybe Disney could use this one but still give it a theaterical release just like the previous MCU films. Its not really wise, given how The Marvels performed but if The Marvels makes some money for Disney+, I wouldn't totally cross out the possibility. Its still a long shot though.

not to continue to far off topic here....

but, personally if we got a Captain Marvel 2, I'd ideally want to be set sometime between the events of Captain Marvel, and Endgame... so it would be a prequel to The Marvels events and therefore shouldn't be considered a direct sequel to The Marvels

could be seen as it's own stand long film and doesn't really effect anything in the timeline of other films (since it set pre-Avengers, an in deep space)

I'd still like to see some Epic space adventure showing what she's been up to over that 10-20 years, her search for a new Skull homeworld, who/what else she may have encounter in space, what enemies she made/faced along the way... there's a lot to work with there

Regardless of whether or not they considered it to be Captain Marvel 2 before, it definitely wouldn't be wise for them to treat it as Captain Marvel 2 now.

If they ever want to make another Captain Marvel movie, they should call it Captain Marvel 2 and market it as much as possible as a direct sequel to Captain Marvel 1, with a self contained story that doesn't require people to have watched The Marvels (or any Disney+ tie-ins, for that matter), and with as much of a serious dramatic tone as the first Captain Marvel was marketed with. None of the lighthearted goofy silliness we got with The Marvels (like seriously, just watch the initial trailers of Captain Marvel and The Marvels back to back).

I don't think the lighthearted goofy silliness was a so big problem. The real issue is the lack of interest on this movie from the beginning, which is still surprising.

I guess the first Captain Marvel movie get a so big box office because it was promoted with a connection to Endgame and the first female lead MCU movie (not to mention that MCU was a extremely strong brand at that time), but it doesn't seem to have generated so much interest on Captain Marvel as character.

I'm not speaking about the haters online, but people who just not care about the character.

Just $339,774 for Monday, down 75.8% from Sunday for a total of $77,095,333.
I really don't see it going higher than $85m with such low numbers and the inevitable shedding of theaters coming.
by the end of this week TM will likely be around $78.3m so $85 is probably the high end of where it might finish.

With these numbers, there ain't going to be another Captain Marvel movie. So it doesn't matter if it would be called Captain Marvel 2, 3 or 2.5.

captainmarvel2.jpg
It's funny how they put the asian guy that has like 5 minutes of screen time in the poster.. :smilingeyes:

I don't think the lighthearted goofy silliness was a so big problem. The real issue is the lack of interest on this movie from the beginning, which is still surprising.

I guess the first Captain Marvel movie get a so big box office because it was promoted with a connection to Endgame and the first female lead MCU movie (not to mention that MCU was a extremely strong brand at that time), but it doesn't seem to have generated so much interest on Captain Marvel as character.

I'm not speaking about the haters online, but people who just not care about the character.

Captain Marvel needed her own equivalent of Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Ideally with an Avengers movie released close by). Something that upped the ante from the first movie, not something that....downed the ante.

Just $339,774 for Monday, down 75.8% from Sunday for a total of $77,095,333.
I really don't see it going higher than $85m with such low numbers and the inevitable shedding of theaters coming.
by the end of this week TM will likely be around $78.3m so $85 is probably the high end of where it might finish.
At this point, I just want it outgross Blade II (82 million). But with that 75% Monday drop, its going to take the rest of the month, if not Early January to get that additional $5.3 million.

DOMESTIC (41.3%)
$77,590,648
INTERNATIONAL (58.7%)
$110,270,161
WORLDWIDE
$187,860,809

That worldwide gross is so bad. Its like this had a limited release. We may see more of these numbers if Disney don't slow down in 2025 and if they don't change their release slate. They need the big guns more than ever. Like what numbers are we eXpecting for Captain America, Thunderbolts, Blade and Fantastic 4 now?

I think Captain America can still clear $100 million domestically in 2025. Before I was doubtful it would gross $200 million domestically because of a different lead. Now i think it would struggle to hit $150 million. Worldwide, it would be lucky to hit $400 million. I think Deadpool wouldn't help much since Venom would come after Deadpool. People know Venom is Marvel and Venom movies aren't really good. So Deadpool/Venom aren't really going to help the Captain America spin-off, when it comes out.

I can see Thunderbolts attracting fewer cinema goers than The Marvels. Unless Bucky can attract the general public but I doubt it, when the face of Captain Marvel flopped in her 2nd headlining Marvel movie. This would definitely underperform if not flop, in the summer. And who knows how crowded the movie season is in 2025.

As for Blade and Fantastic 4, I was optimistic that both would finally get big numbers at the boX office when they were first announced. But now, $100 million domestically isn't guaranteed anymore and those films would have to rely being good in order to attract the masses, instead of riding the popularity of the Marvel brand (which benefitted Captain Marvel, Eternals, Ant-Man and Shang-Chi). I hope Fantastic 4, can benefit from opening the summer movie season. Blade definitely needs to come after Avengers, Spider-Man or a huge MCU film. Its going to get low numbers two years from now, if they don't delay it (again).

We can freely admit that now, but back in 2019 it was hard. The MCU craze was at an all-time high, and the "briellion" really blinded many (including Marvel Studios themselves) to the fact that the first movie was at best a Thor-level origin story that kind of failed to endear its protagonist to the general public.

The difference is that the first two Thor movies were at the very least financially successful, so Marvel had a good reason to not give up on the character.

With these numbers, there ain't going to be another Captain Marvel movie.
Never say never. We're talking about the same studio that is trying to make a Tron sequel starring Jared Leto.

Never say never. We're talking about the same studio that is trying to make a Tron sequel starring Jared Leto.

So we’ll finally get a third movie 15 years from now starring Jared Leto as Captain Marvel!

See you all in 2038!

Tron Legacy at least made a profit. A small one but it was profitable. Plus, they have the new Tron ride at Disney World.

The Marvels will be one of the biggest flops of all time. Disney is going to lose hundreds of millions on this.

That was an unserious comment but fair enough. I remembered Tron: Legacy doing worse but it was a moderate success. Still though... why Jared Leto

So we’ll finally get a third movie 15 years from now starring Jared Leto as Captain Marvel!

See you all in 2038!
bilbo.gif

They could revisit a Captain Marvel 3 when the Marvel movie brand is strong again. Imagine if Avengers 5 earned $1.5 billion worldwide, and Captain Marvel 3 is released months after that, it would certainly earned more than The Marvels, and who knows if someone from Disney is still thinking of that possibility. But its a long shot, since Disney has so many Marvel ips at their dispense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"